2016-2017 California Northstate University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! I was recently admitted after being wait listed back in November. I am also holding a spot in a DO program much closer to home. My main concerns are the accreditation for this school, the area (during my interview I noticed the school is so small and not much going on around it), and matching into residency from here. What would you guys do in my case? I'd appreciate any input from current students and how they feel about the school!

I'm also in the same situation. I have a DO offer from a more established school, I also have concerns about the accreditation (for-profit schools that are modeled after the Caribbean is a little concerning), and I'm just wondering if going here is worth it or not. Honest input from current students would go a long way! Please tell me all the stuff you don't like, or any concerns/problems you are experiencing, or if you could have a do-over would you have gone to a different medical school, (I don't live close to Sacramento so the whole living close to home/family isn't a good reason for me to come here, but I need to know if the MD is worth it or not).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not a current student but having read a million of these MD v DO questions, it usually comes down to... do you want a super competitive subspecialty that is very biased against DO? Neurosurgery, ENT, Plastics, Derm, etc. If not... pick the best value, where you felt the most at home, where you feel like you'll fit in best, etc. I loved CNU, though, and I wouldn't turn it down. I suppose I should try to get you to turn it down so there are more seats, but that isn't how I roll! I'm sure a bunch of current students will chime in, though, and when I interviewed they all seemed super positive about the school.

Reactions: 2 users
Not a current student but having read a million of these MD v DO questions, it usually comes down to... do you want a super competitive subspecialty that is very biased against DO? Neurosurgery, ENT, Plastics, Derm, etc. If not... pick the best value, where you felt the most at home, where you feel like you'll fit in best, etc. I loved CNU, though, and I wouldn't turn it down. I suppose I should try to get you to turn it down so there are more seats, but that isn't how I roll! I'm sure a bunch of current students will chime in, though, and when I interviewed they all seemed super positive about the school.

This is partially about DO vs MD, but it's also about this particular school's credentials. It's about the quality of education and wether this school is doing a good job of preparing their students to get into specialties. The CNU MD degree is nice, but with the residency programs combining in 2020 it's going to get a lot more competitive with qualified DO students entering the picture. We all know Step 1 scores will be a huge determining factor for medical school, as well as the medical school's reputation, so the real question is how will CNU stack up compared to other schools when it comes to preparing you for your step scores. For example, which is more prestigious... the established DO school in Texas with a teaching hospital or this new MD school? I understand that there will be growing pains and that the first couple of years the students will be guinea pigs, but do any current students regret or feel like they aren't being prepared enough for their Step 1 and that they wish they went somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also in the same situation. I have a DO offer from a more established school, I also have concerns about the accreditation (for-profit schools that are modeled after the Caribbean is a little concerning), and I'm just wondering if going here is worth it or not. Honest input from current students would go a long way! Please tell me all the stuff you don't like, or any concerns/problems you are experiencing, or if you could have a do-over would you have gone to a different medical school, (I don't live close to Sacramento so the whole living close to home/family isn't a good reason for me to come here, but I need to know if the MD is worth it or not).

Take the MD, you two. This is NOT an assessment of the value of either degree but a reference to the practices of the licensing bodies for their holders. As long as the AOA requires the COMLEX (which it has said it will continue to do - yes, even after the merger) you're stuck likely taking two licensing exams: the COMLEX for your degree/license and the USMLE for your residency. To ease your fears about for profit schools (questionably ethical though frankly not that different from any other private institution save for what essentially boils down to the number of people who 'own' it), take a look at Rocky Vista, for profit AND DO-granting. They seem to be doing just fine. Which I guess could be a sort of argument to make you more comfortable with your DO degree, a great degree to have by the way! Now that even the government loans are no longer subsidized at the graduate level and now that the loan forgiveness is very likely being done away with, there's basically no difference in borrowing from the government or a private entity...we're paying someone back (with interest). Isn't there a doctor shortage or something? I guess we can all go see the hospitals' cheaper-to-pay 'providers' anyway and figure 1/10th the training is good enough for our nation's health...all while we as patients still pay the same that we would to see a fully-trained physician lol. Whatevs

This is partially about DO vs MD, but it's also about this particular school's credentials. It's about the quality of education and wether this school is doing a good job of preparing their students to get into specialties. The CNU MD degree is nice, but with the residency programs combining in 2020 it's going to get a lot more competitive with qualified DO students entering the picture. We all know Step 1 scores will be a huge determining factor for medical school, as well as the medical school's reputation, so the real question is how will CNU stack up compared to other schools when it comes to preparing you for your step scores. For example, which is more prestigious... the established DO school in Texas with a teaching hospital or this new MD school? I understand that there will be growing pains and that the first couple of years the students will be guinea pigs, but do any current students regret or feel like they aren't being prepared enough for their Step 1 and that they wish they went somewhere else?

I'm not sure the DO bias among PDs will be going away anytime soon, even with the single GME accreditation system. For example, here's an AMA with a Radiology PD: Radiology Faculty--Answering Questions/"AMA" . TLDR: He automatically screens out DO and IMG students when considering who to interview. He states that this is an unfortunate reality among many PDs and he doesn't see it changing in the coming years.

Of course this applies only to the most competitive residencies and specialties. As a MD student at a new school, we know that we have to work harder than other MD students at more established schools for higher step scores, to make connections, and to find research. However, our school does a good job preparing us for these things. For example, all of our tests are NBME based to prepare us for step 1 and we start OSCE's early to prepare us for clerkships.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users

I liked CNU when I interviewed as well but in general I'm a very easy going person and just happy with whatever I get. I guess the problem is I'm unsure about a specialty and it's too early to know. But I would hate to go for the DO and be limited in any way in the future.

Hey guys I'm an M2 here and I recently was PM'd by a potential interviewee who had some questions about our school and I thought I'd just throw it on here. I was asked about what I thought were pros and cons and how I felt about the likelihood of LCME accreditation and so forth. I hope this can help quell some of your understandable apprehension.

Sure I'll go over cons first. So there are the obvious: for profit status, no federal loans, new school. I honestly think that the only real issue is lack of federal loans. Getting private loans isn't a big deal, but if that's your only option and your credit score isn't great, then that makes attending our school difficult. For example, I have no one that can cosign for my loans, so my interest rate is higher than those who were able to get cosigners and if for whatever reason I wasn't approved for loans (that hasn't happened... yet), then I would not be able to pay for tuition or living expenses. In terms of interest rates and things like that, the private loans aren't that much worse, it's just that with federal loans you can do loan forgiveness programs and things like that but not with private loans. One interesting thing is that apparently you can file bankruptcy and try to get private loans discharged which you can't with federal loans, but I don't think that happens very often. The for profit status... yeah it's not something to be proud of, but I don't think that makes our school inherently worse than non profit schools. Being a new school is also rough -- our class definitely had it rough but I know that there are lots of improvements that are happening quickly so even the class below us is having a much easier time than we are. The lectures are so much better for the class below us -- I'm jealous haha. So don't be too worried about that; our class is getting the brunt of it since we're the guinea pigs but it's getting better fast. The only thing that I really wish our school would fix is the lack of federal loans and even that wasn't a huge deal breaker for me.

As to the quality of professors, I remember reading some of the posts. The ob/gyn who wasn't licensed to practice, well, she was a professor and not working as a physician so I don't think it's that bad that she wasn't licensed to practice but for some reason people on here were very fixated on that. Anyway she was only at our school for one block and then quit and went to another school. We've definitely had some turnover happen (faculty members quitting and moving to other schools) but this year we've really ramped up our number of faculty, and I'm very happy with the changes. Our head of anatomy/physiology professor, Dr. Mason, was also mentioned on here a few times because she's a fresh PhD graduate (I think she graduated in 2015 right before we started M1 year). I don't know if you've read my post about her but I like her a lot. She's a very passionate teacher and uses more technology in her lectures (she brings in a tablet and annotates her lecture slides as she lectures, so it's really nice to annotate with her on my iPad -- and if you don't have a tablet, you can just print out the lectures and annotate with pen; also she emails the annotated lecture slides so you don't have to freak out if you miss anything). Also the school hired an anatomy professor who is one of the anatomy professors at UCSF -- Dr. Dhillon. He's super knowledgeable and really great -- I have no doubt that the anatomy curriculum will improve even more. I also really like our pharmacology professor Dr. Gerriets. She's really good at teaching pharm and her lectures I will make an effort to try to go to because they're very helpful.

On to the pros. So I said that things are getting much better for the class below us and future classes and I really mean that. Our curriculum has improved so much even just between our two classes that I have no doubt that things will be even better for the incoming class. I also feel confident that our class will do well on boards. The curriculum is no frills and teaches to boards which is really great. Lectures are recorded and available online and we have very few mandatory lectures, so you can study at home and have a pretty flexible studying schedule. I like our grading system -- we have formative exams which are basically like practice exams since they don't count in our grades. We have one summative exam at the end of every block and that's the one that counts. Usually around 70-80% of the grade is the summative exam. But since you have all block to prepare for the exam, it's really not that bad. Also both the formative and summative exams are ALL questions from NBME (questions that used to be on boards and were retired), which I think is a great way to become comfortable with the boards type questions. I've heard of other schools where all their lectures are mandatory and there's a business casual dress code for every lecture... Not our school. Super chill. The only time they get strict with dress code is medical skills, which is where we practice medical skills with standardized patients and preceptors.

Also another thing is that the admin is very receptive to our feedback. I'm sure you'll hear that a lot from other students too. We have lots of students participating in committees such as the curriculum committee and admissions committee. Especially for us in the inaugural class because we're the first to experience everything for the first time, they really listen to us and try to fix things when we point out things that can be improved. Tons of opportunities for students to become involved. We have lots of interest groups and committees for students to get involved in. It's very easy to get involved in an interest group and become a leader in it (e.g. president, vice president, treasurer, secretary, etc).

The facilities are great. The building is new and the second floor has the library and college of pharmacy, and the first floor is for college of medicine. We have colleges (think of them like houses in Harry Potter) and college rooms that students can hang out and study in. The anatomy lab is probably the best part of the facilities -- it is gorgeous. I've talked with students who've done SMPs at other med schools and they said that the ventilation in our anatomy lab is much, much better (good ventilation = less smelling cadavers which is always great). There's also another building that is in the process of being renovated and will add an auditorium, lots of study space and recreational space. It's not finished yet but hopefully it'll be ready soon.

Lastly in terms of peers. Our school is on the smaller side, with 90 kids per class (our class has 60). I think being in a small (by small I mean fewer than 100) class is awesome because you can get to know everyone in your class. In terms of cutthroat, if you mean like, do we have a lot of gunners? If by gunners you mean people who study a lot, then yes we have gunners. But definitely not the type that will go out of their way to sabotage people or make others look bad. We share information and tips and such on Facebook all the time, e.g. a helpful youtube video that explains a difficult concept.

Please feel free to ask any more questions (on here or PM). I can't promise that a ton of the M2s will respond since we're fast approaching dedicated period, but I will try my best to answer questions and some other students can answer them too. Also good luck to those interviewing this upcoming Friday! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Is the last interview date this coming Friday, the 14th? @carpeomnious said good luck to those interviewing this upcoming Friday....that makes me anxious as I still have no II ;(

4/14 is my last birthday on Friday before I turn 30. I really wish I could get an interview or at least an interview invite this year.

4/14 is my last birthday on Friday before I turn 30. I really wish I could get an interview or at least an interview invite this year.

Call their office and ask if they have any open spots (Maybe ask if they are still inviting people to interview, and perhaps they might say they have a couple of new open spots). A few days ago I cancelled my interview invite for this Friday (4/14). Maybe they will look for someone to quickly fill it up and you can benefit from my last-minute cancellation.

26 people show up on Facebook now:

Brown University 1
California Polytechnic State University 1
Johns Hopkins University 1
Pomona College 1
Rice University 1
UC Berkeley 3
UC Davis 3
UC Irvine 1
UCLA 7
UC San Diego 2
UC Santa Barbara 1
University of Southern California 2
Washington University in St. Louis 1
Wesleyan University 1

I look forward to seeing you guys in August.

26 people show up on Facebook now:

Brown University 1
California Polytechnic State University 1
Johns Hopkins University 1
Pomona College 1
Rice University 1
UC Berkeley 3
UC Davis 3
UC Irvine 1
UCLA 7
UC San Diego 2
UC Santa Barbara 1
University of Southern California 2
Washington University in St. Louis 1
Wesleyan University 1

I look forward to seeing you guys in August.
I don't understand why this was necessary. This is sort of repulsive.

I completely agree. While I am not going to lie and say I haven't Facebook stalked people before, I think it is odd that someone took the effort to go through every person's profile, collect this information, and then felt compelled to post about it. For what ends did they even look up each person's schools? Does it matter at all where they went to school? I frankly think it is weird and am apprehensive about potentially meeting this person in the fall (barring any legitimate reason for doing this).

Members don't see this ad :)
How is this repulsive? I saw this last night, and I was too exhausted to respond. It is really impressive to have such high ranked institutions at a new school. This person is proud to go there - look at the quality of institutions represented. You should be ashamed of yourself and the type of language you use. I've seen you act pretty bitter on these forums. While I will not be attending here, and will be attending a state institutions. Am I going here? No. But I've seen you post rude things like this on other forums as well. Don't be bitter. This process is random.

Reactions: 6 users
How is this repulsive? I saw this last night, and I was too exhausted to respond. It is really impressive to have such high ranked institutions at a new school. This person is proud to go there - look at the quality of institutions represented. You should be ashamed of yourself and the type of language you use. I've seen you act pretty bitter on these forums. While I will not be attending here, and will be attending a state institutions. Am I going here? No. But I've seen you post rude things like this on other forums as well. Don't be bitter. This process is random.
The list of schools is not indicative of the quality of the student, only of their desperation to go to medical school in California.

The list of schools is not indicative of the quality of the student, only of their desperation to go to medical school in California.
What are you talking about? What do you get out of this? Have you physically been at the school and able to see the facilities/education they provide? You have no right to say that. People are happy to go to Northstate - it is not indicative of their future quality. Have you seen this process? Even great students don't get in!!! I've seen 500 MCATs get into schools across the country whereas more qualified students don't get in. Northstate places value on merit. Look at their high MCAT average. Stop trying to drag students who are happy to attend CNU down. It's clear they're not closing, and they do have a strong curriculum and pick for strong students.

I'm not even going to this school. I just don't like the way people try to drag students who will be attending here next year, down.

Reactions: 11 users
Hey desperate accepted student here

It is a little concerning (at least to me) what Zanabar posted. They most likely did it with good intentions and I am sure most of the students accepted will be excited to meet them as well in the fall! But to come up with that list of schools means that person went on to each person's FB profile and looked them up and then made a list out of it and then post it on a public forum. That can be seen as a little invasive and as someone who is a private person, I do not appreciate it.

Also those on the FB group most likely found about the accepted page through SDN, which means they too might have seen his post as well.
I do not think that will create a very good environment in the future knowing that someone on the FB page looked us all up and did this and I personally would appreciate it if that post was taken down Zanabar.

Also please refrain attacking other institutions/people/beliefs. I do not think that it very professional of people to do so even on a public forum and even with the annonymity that SDN provides. We are all hopefully going into medicine so I think it is definitely important to practice our professionalism even on the Internet! I think that this forum should be used for meaningful discussions about the school and to learn more about it so hopefully lets go back to that. Thanks
I think the last thing you should be doing is acting high and mighty, considering all of you made your school information accesssible to the public. Anyone can type CNUCOM class of 2021 accepted and see the students who have joined the group. It's a public group. Schools always make it acccessible to how many students from each university matriculated there. I don't think it's creepy, considering everyone looks at everyone's facebook. I doubt you haven't done the same thing. I don't see the need to take this down, as it is all public, accessible information.

I think the last thing you should be doing is acting high and mighty, considering all of you made your school information accesssible to the public. Anyone can type CNUCOM class of 2021 accepted and see the students who have joined the group. It's a public group. Schools always make it acccessible to how many students from each university matriculated there. I don't think it's creepy, considering everyone looks at everyone's facebook. I doubt you haven't done the same thing. I don't see the need to take this down, as it is all public, accessible information.
Agreed. If you're that "private" make your account details private.

I see this school doesn't yet have someone from Columbia. I volunteer as tribute. And yes, I might be the anomaly: I am desperate to get into medical school anywhere.

LOL it is not even worth it. I guess we can't go back to focusing on the school sigh.

edit: I probably do sound high/mighty and pretentious. I'll work on that!

Yeah you're right. You do sound high/pretentious Why do you have a fb if you truly are that private :whistle:

I bet you've looked everyone up :rofl:I know I've looked up people on my med school's facebook, and I bet the admins have. I love hypocrites. And you my friend are a hypocrite. There's nothing wrong with his post, as I can look up people too. I'm staring at it right now. I can count the number of students and I can tell their schools just by hovering over each fb. What is the big deal? Zanabar clearly wanted to show that there was a high # of students from top schools.
You join fb groups to see who your classmates are and communicate with them. If you truly were that turned off by everything, you wouldn't join the group.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi folks, also an M2 here ---to chime in before returning to my Step 1 bunker...

1) To all involved, please drop the flame throwing regarding the schools list, etc... It's really not a newsworthy topic. It's natural to be curious, but please stay professional (including your interactions on this forum) and respect boundaries.

2) I have a slightly different take than @carpeomnious on their comment about teaching to boards. There are aspects of the curriculum that are *designed* to prepare you for boards. For example, our M1-M2 OSCE curriculum covers pretty much all content needed for clerkships / Step 2 CS (everything from sim labs on managing critical patients to Neuro exams, bimanual exams, rapid sequence intubation, and IO lines, etc. etc. etc.)---it really is impressive how much you cover by having these every single week thinking back. Or that our weekly clinical cases are meant to prepare you for Step 3 by having you work through cases in a similar format. But you'll also have plenty of preclinical material that is far more than Step 1 depth... you'll still have entire lectures on things that might take up 1/8th of a page in First Aid. And similarly, our school is pretty heavy on clinical management lecture hours (easily nearing 50%+), so I feel like a lot of our lecture hours are devoted to topics that are more Step 2 CK yield, which I'm actually a fan of because it'll make the transition to M3 easier on us.

3) The Education section of the school's website is woefully out of date and underdeveloped. Definitely doesn't sell the curriculum at all, and probably not touched since before we matriculated. We've been bugging them about this a bit more now that things have cooled down since our LCME step 4 and WASC renewal accreditation visits have passed. But one selling point that's not on there that I would really like to emphasize is that our clinical affiliate network is now *massive* Dr. Yip and the other clerkship directors have moved mountains getting everything set up! ... We now have all 3 major health systems in the Sacramento area (besides UC Davis MC obviously) signed on: Kaiser, Sutter, and Dignity health---with pretty much all their major hospitals (two of which are Level II trauma centers for you peeps that care) and outpatient network. On top of that, we have an LA regional affiliate, AHMC health system so for people from LA, you can opt to do all or some of your rotations there if you wish. (Please note: LA rotations are purely if you want to---there are enough slots for 100% of the class in Sacramento. I'm planning on doing one eventually just to explore SoCal some!) I believe the school's considering a similar setup in the bay area too.

Reactions: 8 users
Decision day was today for those who interviewed on the 31st, if the coordinator was correct in her dates. Good luck everyone! Hoping for some good news tomorrow or Friday!

Decision day was today for those who interviewed on the 31st, if the coordinator was correct in her dates. Good luck everyone! Hoping for some good news tomorrow or Friday!
I thought it was three weeks from the 31st?

Missed this earlier:

We all know Step 1 scores will be a huge determining factor for medical school, as well as the medical school's reputation, so the real question is how will CNU stack up compared to other schools when it comes to preparing you for your step scores. ... I understand that there will be growing pains and that the first couple of years the students will be guinea pigs, but do any current students regret or feel like they aren't being prepared enough for their Step 1 and that they wish they went somewhere else?

The short answer is the same as always: What you get out of a school is equal to what you put into it and that goes for board scores too. With how tightly LCME mandates educational standards, all schools curricula are just different flavors of the same basic thing; if you happen to have a choice, pick whichever one you think matches your learning style best.

But if your soul desires cold hard facts.... well, I can help with that too.
Hopefully no one from my year minds me sharing some of the aggregate data shown to our class since it was basically a practice exam, but I can actually shed some light on your question since we recently took our first CBSE (we will take multiple of them to track our individual progress while studying for Step). For those who haven't heard of it, CBSE stands for Comprehensive Basic Science Exam and it's an NBME exam that you take cold as a diagnostic before you enter your dedicated prep time to help determine your weakest areas. CNU's mean was 0.4% off the national average (in other words, no statistical difference), which was standardized against 16K med students at 91 schools. 0 students were ≥2SD below the mean, and only 9 students were ≥1SD below the mean (and most narrowly so at that). And at the other end, we saw that some students are already on track for their 99th percentile step 1 scores after destroying CBSE.

Why did I bother including the SD part? Well, CBSE scores are also used as a progress indicator since it directly correlates with Step 1 scores (and hence why it's useful to have serial measurements)---and it's important to note that the national average for CBSE (on 1st takes only) correlates to a Step 1 of 185 ... and after dedicated prep time, that national average becomes a Step 1 of 229 with an SD of 20. Where ≥2SD below = Failing step 1 score. So what this tells us is that barring any disasters or misuse of dedicated prep time, it's unlikely that anyone in our class is at risk of failing Step 1 assuming we all improve similarly to the rest of the testing group during dedicated prep time.

And while it was a bit nerve racking to see how much work I have ahead of me (I didn't need a score report to know I'd forgotten almost everything from some of the M1 blocks. lol), it was somewhat comforting to see that our class was right where it's supposed to be prior to entering our dedicated period since that fear of the unknown has definitely weighed heavily on us 2019 folks.

I thought it was three weeks from the 31st?

The coordinator said the adcom meets the second Wednesday after the interview, and decisions come out that Thursday and Friday. Typically. And this coincides with what the other people on this board have posted.

The coordinator said the adcom meets the second Wednesday after the interview, and decisions come out that Thursday and Friday. Typically. And this coincides with what the other people on this board have posted.
:eek: Well in that case I'm biting my fingernails

Just got a rejection email post Interview. Interviewed March 17th. Huh not even waitlisted. One less waitlist for me I guess lol...

FYI: there's been an interview date added in May.

(Rationale: we hear back from LCME in June about whether the Class of 2021 will be 90 or 120 students.)

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrawing my acceptance. I hope one of you get my slot! Good Luck everyone!! This school was incredible and I was super stoked to go here, but just was informed of my acceptance to my dream school! You all should be proud of getting to go here, so good luck again!

Reactions: 5 users

(Rationale: we hear back from LCME in June about whether the Class of 2021 will be 90 or 120 students.)

Are there any more remaining for April by any chance?

Thanks for the info. Here's to hoping that all of us waiting for invites get one :xf:

Is there optimism about this expansion happening? The president didn't seem optimistic on interview day.

Is there optimism about this expansion happening? The president didn't seem optimistic on interview day.

yoda-the-future.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys,
So I'm really confused here. I submitted my secondary back in September and still haven't heard anything back. My MCAT is below their minimum but my GPA is much higher than their average. Does this mean I still have a chance if I haven't been rejected?

Hey guys,
So I'm really confused here. I submitted my secondary back in September and still haven't heard anything back. My MCAT is below their minimum but my GPA is much higher than their average. Does this mean I still have a chance if I haven't been rejected?
It's not over until it's over when/if we get an official rejection email/letter.

Hey guys,

If your MCAT is below their minimum why did you apply? I'm being straight forward with you when I say that you are not getting invited this cycle. I'm sorry, but the truth is that it's not going to happen with a below-minimum MCAT score (the bar is there for a reason). Don't waste your money in the future applying to schools where you don't meet their minimum standard. I got an interview invite 2 weeks ago, with a 512 MCAT score, and I submitted my secondary in August and I didn't hear anything until recently, (And even with my killer score I could tell that they were only inviting me for a waitlist spot, I mean who send out invites for April interviews with only a weeks notice, or perhaps because a lot of other people turned down their invites)... What I'm trying to say is that it's best not to get your hopes up and think something is going to happen. It's not! My best advice, and most realistic, would be to start preparing to take the MCAT again and getting somewhere around 508 and above to have a solid chance of an interview, (Or decide to apply for DO schools that have lower MCAT standards).

Hey guys,
What was your MCAT if you don't mind me asking?

3 weeks for the 3/31 interviewees. Good luck everyone! Hopefully good news is coming! :) Anyone heard anything yet?

3 weeks for the 3/31 interviewees. Good luck everyone! Hopefully good news is coming! :) Anyone heard anything yet?
Nope! Still patiently waiting. I've noticed that med schools usually send notifications around 5 pm.

Interviewed 3/31 as well and was accepted last thursday.
Congrats! I thought I had heard they were meeting last week, but didn't see anyone from 3/31 post. I guess that means the rest of us who haven't heard are waitlisted. Until the next meeting, then...

Congrats! I thought I had heard they were meeting last week, but didn't see anyone from 3/31 post. I guess that means the rest of us who haven't heard are waitlisted. Until the next meeting, then...
At least it's better than being rejected! My guess is after April 30th, more spots will be open.

If your MCAT is below their minimum why did you apply? I'm being straight forward with you when I say that you are not getting invited this cycle. I'm sorry, but the truth is that it's not going to happen with a below-minimum MCAT score (the bar is there for a reason). Don't waste your money in the future applying to schools where you don't meet their minimum standard. I got an interview invite 2 weeks ago, with a 512 MCAT score, and I submitted my secondary in August and I didn't hear anything until recently, (And even with my killer score I could tell that they were only inviting me for a waitlist spot, I mean who send out invites for April interviews with only a weeks notice, or perhaps because a lot of other people turned down their invites)... What I'm trying to say is that it's best not to get your hopes up and think something is going to happen. It's not! My best advice, and most realistic, would be to start preparing to take the MCAT again and getting somewhere around 508 and above to have a solid chance of an interview, (Or decide to apply for DO schools that have lower MCAT standards).
I have unique EC that set me apart and I have a friend who got in with below min mcat score. I figured why not and I had the funds.

M2 at CNU here. For those still waiting, the last interview day for this cycle will be next Friday, May 5, so there might be some interview invites sent out this week.

Reactions: 9 users