2016-2017 California Northstate University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M2 at CNU here. For those still waiting, the last interview day for this cycle will be next Friday, May 5, so there might be some interview invites sent out this week.
fingers crossed

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, CNUCOM hopeful here.

Just wanted to note that if you're on the fence about the school, please reach out to a current student or drop by if you're in the area. I had a great time on interview day and could really sense that the staff, teaching faculty, and students absolutely love it there; the culture is quite prominent.

I know there's a lot of information (and opinion) floating around this forum, however I really think it's important that you gather your own data.

With that said, best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back; let's hope we have some good news to report soon!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow people who received the secondary in February: have you gotten IIs here? Or heard anything?

Does anyone know when the next decision day is?

Reactions: 1 user
I got an interview for the 5/5 date. Does anyone know if this interview is for a wait-list spot or have people gotten into this school with interviewing this late in the cycle?

I got an interview for the 5/5 date. Does anyone know if this interview is for a wait-list spot or have people gotten into this school with interviewing this late in the cycle?

I know it's a long thread, but the answer was posted here a few times. From my understanding, CNUCOM doesn't interview exclusively for waitlist positions; IIs only go out if there are seats available. Additionally, a current student mentioned she was offered a seat after interviewing on the last available date in April last year (she didn't have to hop on the waitlist before being offered a seat).

In short, there are definitely spots available -- your interview invite is valuable!

Good luck on the 5th!

I know it's a long thread, but the answer was posted here a few times. From my understanding, CNUCOM doesn't interview exclusively for waitlist positions; IIs only go out if there are seats available. Additionally, a current student mentioned she was offered a seat after interviewing on the last available date in April last year (she didn't have to hop on the waitlist before being offered a seat).

In short, there are definitely spots available -- your interview invite is valuable!

Good luck on the 5th!

thanks!!

Does anybody know when/if there will be waitlist movement?

My guess is we will start to see something this week, but I'm just as anxious as you are! Haha.

Hoping that everyone who really wants to go here is given an opportunity to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know on average how many people they accept per interview group?

Does anyone know on average how many people they accept per interview group?

According to the MSAR it looks like 1 in 4, however that is subject to change due to the possibility of CNUCOM being given the permission to expand their class to 120 from 90.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
According to the MSAR it looks like 1 in 4, however that is subject to change due to the possibility of CNUCOM being given the permission to expand their class to 120 from 90.
I don't think you can tell. MSAR shows how many are interviewed and how many matriculate (not how many are accepted, which may be 2-3 times more than their matriculated numbers).

I don't think you can tell. MSAR shows how many are interviewed and how many matriculate (not how many are accepted, which may be 2-3 times more than their matriculated numbers).

You're right! Thanks for clarifying.

Has anyone from the 4/14 interview date heard back yet? If not, any chance traffic day is delaying the results?

I'm Nervous for the interview tomorrow!!

Anyone that interviewed Jan 13th or later and was waitlisted hear back yet? Still silence for me :(

I just got in to one of my state schools and will be withdrawing from my seat here. Best of luck to all of you!!

Reactions: 5 users
Since traffic day was only a few days ago, was there any mention of spots being open in the class today at the interview?

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile

Does CNSUCOM send out decline letters? I never got an II and I still have not heard anything at all, when the interview cycle is obviously complete. Seems very odd to not get a "Hey we have many strong applicants unfortunately...." email

Reactions: 3 users

There will probably be lots of waitlist movement, and it will happen over the course of the next few months. We had some people get in off the waitlist last year just days before orientation. Stay diligent :)

Also, PSA to the several of you who I've seen post this: interviews for the waitlist are not a thing. At least here, anyway. It takes a ton of energy and coordination to set up an interview day, we don't do it just to put more people on the waitlist. As a student interviewer, I was blown away by the interviewees on May 5th. Some of the strongest interviews I've seen all cycle. As a fellow last day interviewee, you guys made me proud! I hope to see many of you back in the fall.

If you didn't get an II this cycle, be critical of your application. Fill in the holes. Don't give up.

Reactions: 11 users
There will probably be lots of waitlist movement, and it will happen over the course of the next few months. We had some people get in off the waitlist last year just days before orientation. Stay diligent :)

Also, PSA to the several of you who I've seen post this: interviews for the waitlist are not a thing. At least here, anyway. It takes a ton of energy and coordination to set up an interview day, we don't do it just to put more people on the waitlist. As a student interviewer, I was blown away by the interviewees on May 5th. Some of the strongest interviews I've seen all cycle. As a fellow last day interviewee, you guys made me proud! I hope to see many of you back in the fall.

If you didn't get an II this cycle, be critical of your application. Fill in the holes. Don't give up.
At my interview, one of the college masters mentioned that very few, if any, spots remain in the class and that we were primarily being interviewed so that spots could be filled in the event that the LCME approves the class size increasing from 90 to 120. In other words, it felt like we were being interviewed for a wait list position. I understand that the school has to interview and be ready to fill spots if needed, but personally it was very off-putting to prepare and travel for an interview only to be told on the day of the interview itself that we had a chance only if the class size increases. Again, this is just what was told to the interviewees in the opening presentations.

At my interview, one of the college masters mentioned that very few, if any, spots remain in the class and that we were primarily being interviewed so that spots could be filled in the event that the LCME approves the class size increasing from 90 to 120. In other words, it felt like we were being interviewed for a wait list position. I understand that the school has to interview and be ready to fill spots if needed, but personally it was very off-putting to prepare and travel for an interview only to be told on the day of the interview itself that we had a chance only if the class size increases. Again, this is just what was told to the interviewees in the opening presentations.
This simply isn't true. He never said there are very few if any spots left. He said there are plenty of seats and that they specifically don't interview for waitlist spots. He made it clear that we are interviewing for spots in the class.
We'll see the end result though!

This simply isn't true. He never said there are very few if any spots left. He said there are plenty of seats and that they specifically don't interview for waitlist spots. He made it clear that we are interviewing for spots in the class.
We'll see the end result though!
Perhaps we interviewed on different days. I wasn't referring to the most recent interview date. And I understand that there could have been a mix-up in the information that was presented, but that was told to the interviewees on my interview date by one of the college masters.

Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps we interviewed on different days. I wasn't referring to the most recent interview date. And I understand that there could have been a mix-up in the information that was presented, but that was told to the interviewees on my interview date by one of the college masters.

I wouldn't resign myself to thinking I was interviewing for the waitlist. Who knows what kind of voodoo goes on in the AdCom meetings, but I can say with almost absolute certainty that we don't hold interview days just to add to our waitlist. I know of at least five of us in my class who interviewed on the last day last year and got in without ever being waitlisted. Sure, there are fewer spots available than if you had interviewed in September, but fewer =/= none, and the waitlist moves dramatically this time in the cycle. I'm sorry if that faculty member put a damper on your experience. For what it's worth, college masters have nothing to do with admissions. One or two of them happen to be on AdCom, but for the most part, college masters aren't any more aware of what AdCom does than anyone else is. They're just a really nice resource for once you're in at CNU.

Maybe someone alerted him of his error, which is why alludallu was told something else on their interview day. Either way, it really doesn't matter. If you nailed your interview and have a strong application, you have a good shot of getting in. All you can do is your best.

Reactions: 4 users
I wouldn't resign myself to thinking I was interviewing for the waitlist. Who knows what kind of voodoo goes on in the AdCom meetings, but I can say with almost absolute certainty that we don't hold interview days just to add to our waitlist. I know of at least five of us in my class who interviewed on the last day last year and got in without ever being waitlisted. Sure, there are fewer spots available than if you had interviewed in September, but fewer =/= none, and the waitlist moves dramatically this time in the cycle. I'm sorry if that faculty member put a damper on your experience. For what it's worth, college masters have nothing to do with admissions. One or two of them happen to be on AdCom, but for the most part, college masters aren't any more aware of what AdCom does than anyone else is. They're just a really nice resource for once you're in at CNU.

Maybe someone alerted him of his error, which is why alludallu was told something else on their interview day. Either way, it really doesn't matter. If you nailed your interview and have a strong application, you have a good shot of getting in. All you can do is your best.

I appreciate your feedback and thanks for clearing that up. I know myself and a few other interviewees I talked to that day were a little bummed out after hearing that, but I'm glad to hear now that it's not the case.

Looking through this thread I saw that that everyone who is accepted immediately hears back within 2 weeks. I guess that means if you have not heard back from your May 5th interview, you are most likely rejected/waitlisted. :(

when will we get rejected pre II already haha

Looking through this thread I saw that that everyone who is accepted immediately hears back within 2 weeks. I guess that means if you have not heard back from your May 5th interview, you are most likely rejected/waitlisted. :(

I wouldn't say that necessarily. This is just conjecture, but this time of the cycle, there's a lot of movement. People who had acceptances may be choosing other schools, so there might be more of a delay in getting fresh acceptances out as they tally how many spots exactly they have to give (and I'm sure that number changes daily). Don't take that as a fact, just my general impression of the way things work. I haven't heard of any May 5thers getting in yet, so it's probably just taking them a little bit longer to get back to you, given the timing of the cycle. Hang tight :)

I'm not sure which group you were in on the 5th, but they told our group that it would take three weeks to get an answer. They also told us that we would hear back if we were either accepted or rejected. Acceptances would be a phone call, an email, and a physical letter of acceptance mailed to us. If we were rejected we would receive only an email. If we were waitlisted we would not hear back until a solid decision was made. This was told to us in group one after our interviews and before our tour of the facility.

At this point, I've lost all hope lol.

Does anybody have an idea of when/if the LCME will allow the class size to increase from 90 to 120? I know the admissions committee said they would decide in June, but does anyone know when in June? Beginning, middle, end?

Does anybody have an idea of when/if the LCME will allow the class size to increase from 90 to 120? I know the admissions committee said they would decide in June, but does anyone know when in June? Beginning, middle, end?

I honestly doubt this will happen (I would be a little disappointed if it did, actually). But if it were to happen, it's mid-late June.

I honestly doubt this will happen (I would be a little disappointed if it did, actually). But if it were to happen, it's mid-late June.
Why would you be disappointed?

Everyone please calm down. They will not reply to the May 5thers until at least this Friday/next Monday. If you still haven't heard back by then. You may start to worry

Everyone please calm down. They will not reply to the May 5thers until at least this Friday/next Monday. If you still haven't heard back by then. You may start to worry

Thank you for your response! :D

Why would you be disappointed?
I like the smaller class size, and I think it might be a little premature to expand so soon. We've just gotten the hang of having 90 in a class- it's hard for me to see how we could accommodate 120 right now, but I'm sure better minds than mine have figured out how to do that if it's being discussed as an option. I'm probably just being a little selfish :p The more the merrier.

I like the smaller class size, and I think it might be a little premature to expand so soon. We've just gotten the hang of having 90 in a class- it's hard for me to see how we could accommodate 120 right now, but I'm sure better minds than mine have figured out how to do that if it's being discussed as an option. I'm probably just being a little selfish :p The more the merrier.

Do you feel the school's resources are stretched with 90 students? I know the ratio in the anatomy lab is 6 students to 1 cadaver currently.

Thank you! You've given me hope. Are you in the admissions department?

Do you feel the school's resources are stretched with 90 students? I know the ratio in the anatomy lab is 6 students to 1 cadaver currently.

The anatomy lab has enough space to maintain that ratio although I'm guessing it'd result in new team divisions e.g. a,b/c,d instead of a,b to help space people out. That's not something that can change easily without some other major update to the Anatomy curriculum since that gets into the territory of documented program standards versus facilities/budgeting.

I'd say that as far as practical concerns go, it'd be less about space and more that certain clerkship slots are a pain to get (in particular, Psychiatry)...that being said, they have 2 years to work on that, and we didn't expect to have anything near the clinical network we have now when we started. For example, Kaiser is definitely our full service powerhouse right now since they have a very mature graduate medical education system in place that also handles medical student rotations, but I expect to see a lot of growth in the Sutter system as they're now launching their own Med Ed. team to accommodate the influx of students (they're also rumored to be looking into launching some self-funded residency programs). For now though, Sutter is mainly Surgery with some Neuro and outpatient IM.

Reactions: 7 users
The anatomy lab has enough space to maintain that ratio although I'm guessing it'd result in new team divisions e.g. a,b/c,d instead of a,b to help space people out. That's not something that can change easily without some other major update to the Anatomy curriculum since that gets into the territory of documented program standards versus facilities/budgeting.

I'd say that as far as practical concerns go, it'd be less about space and more that certain clerkship slots are a pain to get (in particular, Psychiatry)...that being said, they have 2 years to work on that, and we didn't expect to have anything near the clinical network we have now when we started. For example, Kaiser is definitely our full service powerhouse right now since they have a very mature graduate medical education system in place that also handles medical student rotations, but I expect to see a lot of growth in the Sutter system as they're now launching their own Med Ed. team to accommodate the influx of students (they're also rumored to be looking into launching some self-funded residency programs). For now though, Sutter is mainly Surgery with some Neuro and outpatient IM.

Yes, I hope the M2's do well in their boards and set good tracks for the current M1's and entering M1's to follow.

It will be three weeks this Friday, no contact from the school yet.

Does anyone know if CNUCOM entertains deferral requests provided there is a legitimate reason?

When the acceptances/rejections start rolling out, please post here!!!