2016-2017 California Northstate University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know what to doooooo
I don't have any IIs amd I got the secondary. But lizzy me is ~60.

Is this even worth it?
Do they give California residents preference?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this even worth it?

C/O 2020 has a LizzyM ~67-68... so 60 is on the lower end.
They have no instate preference, but most of our class is from CA. You can PM me if you have any additional questions!

They're a for PROFIT school, so I wouldn't put it past them...

Yes, it's worth applying. It would be helpful to know the LizzyM scores for the people who have received the secondaries, if they are all in the higher range, then applicants have been screened. But it is true that Cal Northstate is a for-profit school and it's curious that being for-profit, they don't send out auto-secondaries.

Don't get hung up on the "for-profit" designation. It's an artifact of how the school raised the money to get itself built, not a reflection of the intent vis a vis students.

I can confirm that applicants are screened.

I was able to finally talk to someone in admissions after receiving a secondary today. She confirmed that they do interview through the end of April but i told her it's extremely unfair to applicants. to me, not worth the money. they really don't have many applicants so being "bogged down with apps" is not an excuse for a late secondary. my opinion, if they were interested, they would've sent it sooner. kind of offended as well

Ya, it sucks that you only have the opportunity to compete for ~1/3 of the interview slots because of the timing. They are pretty bogged down, IIRC they had a few thousand more primary apps this year than last year. Also, there the LCME site visit in a few days and the WASC one soon after so for quite some time quite a lot of their time and effort had to be preparing for those, which probably further delayed your secondary.

I got the secondary today after applying back in June/July and I have a LizzyM of 75+.

I'm actually interested in completing the secondary because I haven't had any California interviews yet and I want to stay in state, but I am worried (from reading the other posts in here) that this might be a "cash grab."

It's not a cash grab, but the odds of an interview (b/c there are only a few interview days left) might not be high enough for some people to justify the cost. Seems like it'd be worth it for you (competitive+a chance to stay in-state).

Is this even worth it?

Apply. It's a long-shot but a chance to get into a school rather than having to try again next cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I also got a secondary yesterday after submitting my application back in July. I wonder if this is a thing every year, and if there are any students who sent their secondary this late and still got interviewed/waitlisted/accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
I also got a secondary invite yesterday morning after submitting on July 2nd...Totally forgot I had applied. On their website it says the last day to complete any secondary application is Feb 28th (in 3 days) which the secondary email also stated it has to be complete in 3 days. The timeline of them sending it out just within the 3 day window is just too suspicious for a $100 justification (in addition to them having poor communication skills despite trying to call them yesterday, twice. I hope everyone else who has been waiting till now has at least somewhere else to go!

I wonder if this is a thing every year, and if there are any students who sent their secondary this late and still got interviewed/waitlisted/accepted.

Read the whole thread:

There are interview days left. Last year, I received an II in March for an April date. I was accepted!

As for the lack of communication:

They are pretty bogged down, IIRC they had a few thousand more primary apps this year than last year. Also, there the LCME site visit in a few days and the WASC one soon after so for quite some time quite a lot of their time and effort had to be preparing for those, which probably further delayed your secondary.

I'm a student here, and I can confirm this as well. The entire school is fairly worked up about the LCME site visit. Moreover, the responsiveness of certain staff members is -- well, this is a public forum, so I'll bite my tongue.

Yeah I am not going to do it.
I have not gotten a single II this cycle and I don't feel like wasting the $100.
If they were interested, would not they have said something a while back?
It's a catch 22, I dont wanna wonder what would have happened if but I also dont have $100 to just donate it to them.

UGH I need a miracle.

I have not gotten a single II this cycle and I don't feel like wasting the $100.
It's a catch 22, I dont wanna wonder what would have happened if but I also dont have $100 to just donate it to them.

UGH I need a miracle.

Do you have any schools you still waiting for?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone been accepted yet that was placed on the post-interview waitlist? Or are acceptances from that list pulled later on in the application cycle? If anyone has knowledge on that and can answer, I would greatly appreciate it. Trying to decide if I should start looking more seriously at the other schools I've been accepted into (like housing options and what not) or keep waiting for this one. o_O:whistle:

Has anyone been accepted yet that was placed on the post-interview waitlist? Or are acceptances from that list pulled later on in the application cycle? If anyone has knowledge on that and can answer, I would greatly appreciate it. Trying to decide if I should start looking more seriously at the other schools I've been accepted into (like housing options and what not) or keep waiting for this one. o_O:whistle:

What schools are you deciding between?

Do you have any schools you still waiting for?

yes but I am not very hopeful. I applied to around 20 both MD/DO and I am still waiting on like 8 of them but I just think they are silent rejections at this point. I am applying to masters programs.

I am just very disappointed with this process and unsure what the right moves are anymore.

yes but I am not very hopeful. I applied to around 20 both MD/DO and I am still waiting on like 8 of them but I just think they are silent rejections at this point. I am applying to masters programs.

I am just very disappointed with this process and unsure what the right moves are anymore.

No worries I am on the same boat, silence from 10 md programs still. I applied to the masters program at Boston and Loyola as back ups

Reactions: 1 users
Applied to 3o MD schools in USA with 0 II, 15 rejections, 2 holds, and 13 silence. 2 MD II from AMCAS PR schools. Attended 1 and turned down other. There is an 80% chance that I'll be a reapplicant. If CNSU gave me an II, I would drop everything and go by air, land, foot, and boat to get to the interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to 3o MD schools in USA with 0 II, 15 rejections, 2 holds, and 13 silence. 2 MD II from AMCAS PR schools. Attended 1 and turned down other. There is an 80% chance that I'll be a reapplicant. If CNSU gave me an II, I would drop everything and go by air, land, foot, and boat to get to the interview.
Why did you turn down the PR school? What was the result of your II?

Submit my supplementary last night. $100 is nothing compared to the couple grand I spent applying this cycle to other schools. Not sure if it was due tonight or last night because the wording on the email was a bit off. But I have no acceptances so far after two interviews, being on a waitlist for a school in the Southwest. It would be a miracle if I land an II to this school with my scores. But if not, time to retake the MCAT and apply again this year or the next! Don't give up everyone, there's no shame in taking more time to achieve a dream.

Reactions: 2 users
I was able to finally talk to someone in admissions after receiving a secondary today. She confirmed that they do interview through the end of April but i told her it's extremely unfair to applicants. to me, not worth the money. they really don't have many applicants so being "bogged down with apps" is not an excuse for a late secondary. my opinion, if they were interested, they would've sent it sooner. kind of offended as well
How you look at things in life is up to you, but I wouldn't be offended by being offered a secondary -- in fact, I'd be the stoked. The mere fact that you got one means they want you to have a chance. As pendaflex1 noted, if they truly were going for your money, wouldn't they just send you a secondary immediately? Regarding your claim that they don't have many applicants--do you know the number of applications they received this year? Misinformation is so common these days so I would like to see numbers (and comparison to other schools) to back up such a claim.

UGH I need a miracle.

What sounds worse to you, betting $100 on yourself or wasting a year of your life NOT in med school?
Really $100 is almost nothing in the grand scheme of things. Also, it's not a donation-- They WILL look at your app. This could be your miracle. Do it

I was accepted off the waitlist. They re-review it every time they make admissions decision. So, at minimum, after every interview day they admit the fresher interviewees and people from the waitlist.

How you look at things in life is up to you, but I wouldn't be offended by being offered a secondary -- in fact, I'd be the stoked. The mere fact that you got one means they want you to have a chance. As pendaflex1 noted, if they truly were going for your money, wouldn't they just send you a secondary immediately? Regarding your claim that they don't have many applicants--do you know the number of applications they received this year? Misinformation is so common these days so I would like to see numbers (and comparison to other schools) to back up such a claim.
Yes I do in fact know the number of applicants. Last year was 2,800 roughly and this year they received around 6,000...all significantly less than other schools I applied to which range from 10k to 15k.
Clearly they are scrambling for whatever reason - whether that be financial or something else. They posted months ago that all secondaries would be due Feb 28 and so they send out a bunch on February 24? It's fishy is all.

Yes I do in fact know the number of applicants. Last year was 2,800 roughly and this year they received around 6,000...all significantly less than other schools I applied to which range from 10k to 15k.
Clearly they are scrambling for whatever reason - whether that be financial or something else. They posted months ago that all secondaries would be due Feb 28 and so they send out a bunch on February 24? It's fishy is all.

Can't say for sure obviously since I'm not involved in sending these things out, but I honestly don't think it's scrambling for money. The amount of money they get from applications is pretty negligible when you compare it to tuition. I got a secondary from UCSF in March back when I was an applicant- you better believe I sent that secondary in ASAP. Just because we are new does not mean we are shady- this sort of thing happens at other schools. If you're that skeptical though, don't apply! No one is forcing your hand. I genuinely wanted to go to CNU, and so if I was in your position, I would be thrilled. But it's your application cycle, and it's your decision. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users

Got curious so I found the actual numbers. (See here https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstablea1.pdf) Very few schools above 10K, and none in CA above 10k.

At 6,000 apps (this year) Northstate is about middle of the pack nationally. OK I'll stop arguing on the internet now.

Reactions: 3 users

So I don't really have a dog in this fight but isn't 10k-15k applicants on the much higher end of the spectrum. According to MSAR info most schools get less than 10k. I think the only California school to break 10k is UCLA (I applied to most of them haha) so I feel like 6k isn't that weird. As far as I remember it's not like super less than most schools.

I could be wrong though so correct me if I am. But I do agree it is weird they were hard to contact though. Not sure what was up with that.

So I don't really have a dog in this fight but isn't 10k-15k applicants on the much higher end of the spectrum. According to MSAR info most schools get less than 10k. I think the only California school to break 10k is UCLA (I applied to most of them haha) so I feel like 6k isn't that weird. As far as I remember it's not like super less than most schools.

I could be wrong though so correct me if I am. But I do agree it is weird they were hard to contact though. Not sure what was up with that.

Nope, that's about what my understanding was (as far as applicant numbers go).

To elaborate a bit on contacting the administration- I have never had an issue with this (even when I was an applicant). We are in the middle of our LCME site visit (which is a big deal) and everyone has been extremely focused on that (for obvious reasons), so if I had to guess, I'd say that was why it might have been hard to get ahold of someone. I'm sorry that's been such a problem for so many of you! I can promise you that's never been the case for me, both as an applicant and a student.

Reactions: 2 users
Me too! I applied to two programs at Boston U. Mams and metal health. Let me know how it goes with them.

I submitted my secondary to CNU today. There goes nothing.

Haha well hopefully I see ya at interview for cnu but if not Boston it shall be. I was accepted about a month ago to mams

Why did you turn down the PR school? What was the result of your II?
I emailed Caribe (where I had ii), but I did not get any response. The second ii was for San Juan, and I technically have until tomorrow noon to decide if I want to attend the interview. Practically speaking, since my Spanish is shaky, the living area (apartment area) is not that safe, and the ticket/lodging is fairly expensive, I will be turning down the ii.

Recent admit to the school but I have heard that students have already been making incredible connections throughout California (i.e. research at Stanford, clinical opportunities) The dean was previously from UC Davis so the school will want to attract those kind of students. I chose this school over OOS ones because a CA MD school is a gold mine! People may say it's new so "be wary" but to be accepted by the board of American Medical Colleges is a huge deal and they really wouldn't certify just any school. Plus, the type of students they attract are ones from top schools in California such as Stanford, UCLA, UC Berk, UCSD. The average MCAT for the inaugural class was just over a 32 with a lower GPA around 3.48 I think (I am guessing that is because of the rigor of the UC System grades). The primary focus of the school is to make up for the lack of doctors in California which means they will prepare us to practice here. Some have wondered what the for-profit status means and I too was curious. Basically, the government has no money to open new med schools but we need doctors! This is why individuals interested in helping the physician shortage in CA have contributed/provided the funds to open this new medical school which I think is incredible! I also liked the fact that this is a brand new school so we can mold its future. Small class size is also a plus (around 90 kids for the 2nd year entries) and everyone seems to be very friendly as well.

newsflash - every med school attracts kids from top schools, and they don't use that as an excuse for a low GPA average.

so you're taking private loans (because the school isn't allowed to offer federal loans) and going into primary care in hopes of one day a bill passing so that your debt will be forgiven? that might not be a very good idea.

Ha, well, when you put it like that, no, that's not a good idea. I'm taking out private loans because that's my only option. There is a small chance that in the future, a system could be put in place for those to be forgiven, but I'm definitely not counting on it. I'm going to be in a lot of debt when I graduate, but I've run the numbers, and even without forgiveness, it's manageable if I live within my means and don't get too excited once I finally have an income. For now, I'm just stoked to be in medical school, and I'm even more stoked to be where I am.

Reactions: 8 users

on similar boat minus the PR schools. NO interviews. Accepted to three SMPs as of right now but worried some MD school like this one is gonna right in this late. This process is ridiculous

on similar boat minus the PR schools. NO interviews. Accepted to three SMPs as of right now but worried some MD school like this one is gonna right in this late. This process is ridiculous
Will you try DO schools?

Will you try DO schools?
Yes I applied to several DO schools. but my stats are too low. Unfortunately it's a numbers game and GPA/MCAT is the defining factor. I have excellent ECs, life experience, etc, I just dont have the numbers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes I applied to several DO schools. but my stats are too low. Unfortunately it's a numbers game and GPA/MCAT is the defining factor. I have excellent ECs, life experience, etc, I just dont have the numbers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It sounds like you could really benefit from a post bac program. I think some even include mcat prep. Have you considered this?

It sounds like you could really benefit from a post bac program. I think some even include mcat prep. Have you considered this?

yes that has been the recommendation. I am doing a postbacc combined with a master's of mental health starting in the fall 2017.

RANT: I could not just do a SMP because they have no professional value in the workforce and some of us need to work. I was not going to pay for a whole other year of school without the gurantee of good employment/md acceptnce because if i NEVER get into medical school I need to be able to bring home X amount of money. So mental health will give me a license and if I decided to reapply for MD/DO I;ll have the grades then. I just hate that the SMPs are so expensive and their only focus is Med School. It's such a privileged field. I dont know what Im doing here sometimes.
RANT OVER.

Reactions: 4 users
yes that has been the recommendation. I am doing a postbacc combined with a master's of mental health starting in the fall 2017.

RANT: I could not just do a SMP because they have no professional value in the workforce and some of us need to work. I was not going to pay for a whole other year of school without the gurantee of good employment/md acceptnce because if i NEVER get into medical school I need to be able to bring home X amount of money. So mental health will give me a license and if I decided to reapply for MD/DO I;ll have the grades then. I just hate that the SMPs are so expensive and their only focus is Med School. It's such a privileged field. I dont know what Im doing here sometimes.
RANT OVER.

I agree 100%, if you don't mind me asking, how much is the estimated tuition for the postbac/masters program? The SMPs I looked at are about 50k

I added the school the first day the primary could be submitted. I was verified June 10. I think I should be in the first wave of applications they saw.

I guess what I'm worried about is whether they screen out applications over a certain threshold too.
I agree. Until you enter professional school (MD/DO/PA, etc), premed has no bankable skills.

I agree 100%, if you don't mind me asking, how much is the estimated tuition for the postbac/masters program? The SMPs I looked at are about 50k

Yeah about the same. I think is 50k just tuition and it's three years.

I just got an II yesterday here, so if anyone's wondering, it's not too late I guess. I sent an update letter just recently, so I'm thinking that's what got me this interview. Musta been convincing

Reactions: 5 users
I just got an II yesterday here, so if anyone's wondering, it's not too late I guess. I sent an update letter just recently, so I'm thinking that's what got me this interview. Musta been convincing

Congrats! Can you share when you completed the secondary?

Congrats!! Just wondering, when did you send in the update letter?

care to share stats?

Has anyone sent a letter and had it rejected by the spam filter? Alternative methods to submit a letter? I used the email off the FAQ page: [email protected]

Congrats! What day is your interview scheduled for? I'm wondering how many days are left.