2016-2017 California Northstate University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! What day is your interview scheduled for? I'm wondering how many days are left.
I know of at least three days left (two in March, one in earlyish April), but that's from info I got early on in the year, and that may have changed. Last year we interviewed until April 29th, if that's helpful

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! What day is your interview scheduled for? I'm wondering how many days are left.
Mines March 17th. But they didn't give me any options, so idk what other dates there are.

yes that has been the recommendation. I am doing a postbacc combined with a master's of mental health starting in the fall 2017.

RANT: I could not just do a SMP because they have no professional value in the workforce and some of us need to work. I was not going to pay for a whole other year of school without the gurantee of good employment/md acceptnce because if i NEVER get into medical school I need to be able to bring home X amount of money. So mental health will give me a license and if I decided to reapply for MD/DO I;ll have the grades then. I just hate that the SMPs are so expensive and their only focus is Med School. It's such a privileged field. I dont know what Im doing here sometimes.
RANT OVER.

Become the first one to apply this new medical school.
I wish to hear your good news before August 2018.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/feb/25/idaho-to-get-first-ever-medical-school/
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article127024509.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from the February batch of secondaries heard anything?

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrawing my II. Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 9 users
This may be a dumb question, but how do we check our status? I only have a link to submit my secondary. Am I missing something here?

This may be a dumb question, but how do we check our status? I only have a link to submit my secondary. Am I missing something here?
I sent a status check email in October, and they told me that my file is complete. Since then, I have been checking up on CNSU with bimonthly updates.

Reactions: 1 user
I sent a status check email in October, and they told me that my file is complete. Since then, I have been checking up on CNSU with bimonthly updates.

I mean, it's late in the cycle so I just assume that I don't have a chance here anyway but I'm just wondering if there was a secret portal that I didn't know about that has the status of my application. :p Thanks!

Received an II on 3/21. I can't make the interview date given which was 3/31. Anyone know if they're interviewing into April? They have not responded to my email asking to reschedule :/

Received an II on 3/21. I can't make the interview date given which was 3/31. Anyone know if they're interviewing into April? They have not responded to my email asking to reschedule :/
They didn't let me reschedule when I couldn't make the II. Ended up not being able to go.

Does anyone know if there is a second look date scheduled here?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
We don't have a formal one, but you're always welcome to come back and visit! You could probably do that through admissions. I don't know anyone that's done it, though.

There is an interview date in April, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to reschedule. I hope it works out!

Members don't see this ad :)
CNU please give me an II!!! I beg you, there is not much time left :nailbiting::whistle::xf:

Reactions: 3 users
+1 I think someone said April 29th last cycle but not sure if this is true for this cycle.

Our last interview date last year was 4/29. I'm not sure when the last day they send out IIs is, but we do have an interview date in mid April, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of you get IIs the first week of April, since it appears they haven't been great about giving advanced notice for interviews this cycle.

Have they sent pre II rejections yet?

Just got accepted from the waitlist, after being placed on post-interview hold for 4 months. Top choice and I get to stay in California so I'm very excited! :clap::soexcited:

Don't give up hope people, keep sending update letters and expressing interest. You never know what could happen :biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
Just got accepted from the waitlist, after being placed on post-interview hold for 4 months. Top choice and I get to stay in California so I'm very excited! :clap::soexcited:

Don't give up hope people, keep sending update letters and expressing interest. You never know what could happen :biglove:
Since submitting my original app, I have sent 6 updates (about improvements in grades, MCAT, shadowing) and sent 3 additional LOR. I just keep getting a "thank you for your interest" reply with no II :shrug:

Since submitting my original app, I have sent 6 updates (about improvements in grades, MCAT, shadowing) and sent 3 additional LOR. I just keep getting a "thank you for your interest" reply with no II :shrug:

I would keep trying to send LOI's to them. Make sure they know what you can contribute to their school and why they're specifically a good fit for you. Best of luck and don't give up!

I also have been accepted off the waitlist just this morning; I interviewed in September. IS

Reactions: 4 users

Did you also get this e-mail today? I never even got notified that I was on the waitlist or anything, I just thought I was rejected after interviewing in December.

It states:

Dear Medical Students!

Congratulations on your acceptance into the Doctor of Medicine Program at California Northstate University College of Medicine (CNUCOM). I know this is an exciting time and I look forward to assisting you with the process of joining our College.

As a candidate, you must complete several non-academic requirements when extended an offer of admission. These requirements must be completed well ahead of the start of school. Listed below are important documents for you to complete. It requires your immediate and careful review; listing tuition, deposit information, fees/refunds and critical deadlines. Review in the order listed below; initial and/or sign where required; and submit to the Business Office by the deadline noted below.

That's the one! Looking forward to meeting you if you decide to go here :D

That's the one! Looking forward to meeting you if you decide to go here :D

That's awesome! Congrats! I think that I'll be giving up my seat so that someone else can take it. I don't think I can afford to attend without federal loans.

I've only sent one update in Feb, do you all recommend I send another one in? Do you think they'd be receptive to receiving another LOR? One of my Clinical Directors offered to write a letter on my behalf, would it help for consideration for a late II?

Just got an II for this Friday .... too bad I won't be able to make it ..

sorry to hear, but I would gladly fill a spot pleeaase

I've only sent one update in Feb, do you all recommend I send another one in? Do you think they'd be receptive to receiving another LOR? One of my Clinical Directors offered to write a letter on my behalf, would it help for consideration for a late II?

It probably won't hurt! Get it in quickly, though!

I submitted my secondary late September early October and I just received a II for this Friday (3/31)! I really wasn't expecting to hear from them at all.

Quick question for you guys!
What constitutes someone being put on the waitlist? Is it because the class is already getting full or is it because they are still considering the applicant?

What constitutes someone being put on the waitlist? Is it because the class is already getting full or is it because they are still considering the applicant?
I don't remember hearing this at my interview, but people say around here if you aren't contacted by them after your interview within a certain time frame about a decision one way or the other, you're presumed to be on the waitlist. I don't know what that timeframe is, but I believe it was two weeks? Don't take my word for it though, I'm just parroting what I've seen around here.

That's a mystery, but it's probably a bit of both.

lol I just got an interview? Complete way back in July

Reactions: 8 users
How many seats are left open? Are they increasing the class size from 90? What is the meaning of life?

Reactions: 7 users
Withdrew my interview from here which was scheduled for 4/14. Hope it goes to one of you, all the best!

How many seats are left open? Are they increasing the class size from 90? What is the meaning of life?

Eight likes on my first post. I only need twelve and I would get in. So close.

Srsly, though. Does anyone know roughly how many slots are open still? Did we all just get interviewed on the off chance LCME lets them go from 90 to 120 (which the founder didn't seem positive about happening)? And if you don't know the meaning of life, can you at least pitch me for a good religion? I need a cult to join to boost my app for next cycle if I decide against DO and don't get in here.

Ultimately, I suppose, it doesn't matter whether I know how many slots are open - it won't affect my chances of getting in, and I'll find out next week regardless. Still, I am quite curious.

Separately, have any former admits submitted thank you letters? This is very difficult in an MMI, and I had taken notes of who interviewed me... and they promptly took my notes from me, so I couldn't even be too specific about who interviewed me. This might not be needed, worth it without specific names, etc... but I thought I would ask.

Eight likes on my first post. I only need twelve and I would get in. So close.

Srsly, though. Does anyone know roughly how many slots are open still? Did we all just get interviewed on the off chance LCME lets them go from 90 to 120 (which the founder didn't seem positive about happening)? And if you don't know the meaning of life, can you at least pitch me for a good religion? I need a cult to join to boost my app for next cycle if I decide against DO and don't get in here.

Ultimately, I suppose, it doesn't matter whether I know how many slots are open - it won't affect my chances of getting in, and I'll find out next week regardless. Still, I am quite curious.

Separately, have any former admits submitted thank you letters? This is very difficult in an MMI, and I had taken notes of who interviewed me... and they promptly took my notes from me, so I couldn't even be too specific about who interviewed me. This might not be needed, worth it without specific names, etc... but I thought I would ask.

No one except the adcom knows how many slots are open. I totally understand your neuroticism, but honestly this info doesn't even matter. Once the May 1st deadline comes for people with multiple acceptances, everything changes. Just hang tight :) I will say that we don't interview anyone just for the fun of it. I interviewed April 29th last year (last interview day in the country) and got in without ever being waitlisted, so if there is still an interview day (which there is), there are still spots.

I submitted a thank you letter/letter of intent after my interview last year. I mentioned the students I had interacted with on my interview day, as well as some of the faculty I talked to at lunch. My MMI interviewers were a blur- they don't expect you to remember each of their names, so don't stress about that. I'd say a letter of intent (if it's your top choice/one of your top choices) is more important than a thank you letter (even though as an interviewer I love getting them). Feel free to message me if you'd like :)

Reactions: 9 users
Thanks for the reply! May 1st, great. Looking forward to it. For some reason I thought that date was April or March 15.

I may message you and see what you think about a letter. CNU is definitely my top choice.

Thanks for the reply! May 1st, great. Looking forward to it. For some reason I thought that date was April or March 15.

I may message you and see what you think about a letter. CNU is definitely my top choice.
From AAMC

"After April 30, implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools or programs"

And also, interestingly: "On or after May 15, any school that plans to make an acceptance offer to an applicant who has already been accepted to, or granted a deferral by, another school or program, must ensure that the other school or program is advised of this offer at the time it is issued (written or verbal) to the applicant."

Feel totally free to message me about a letter! I'm always happy to help. Stay diligent :) The application cycle is deceptively long.

How does everyone feel about this school sending out interview invites with such short notice before the interview? It seems really late in the interview season, and now I'm just wondering if they are looking to fill up a wait-list.

How does everyone feel about this school sending out interview invites with such short notice before the interview? It seems really late in the interview season, and now I'm just wondering if they are looking to fill up a wait-list.

I'm a bit apprehensive but tbh I live like an hour from this school so I am stoked that for once I don't have to buy a plane ticket. They gave me more notice than some other schools tbh, so I'll take my chances.

Hoping that I'm not interviewing for the waitlist though. *crosses fingers*

I'm a bit apprehensive but tbh I live like an hour from this school so I am stoked that for once I don't have to buy a plane ticket. They gave me more notice than some other schools tbh, so I'll take my chances.

To me this feels like a "wait-list interview"... I'm guessing they are thinking that they might have a good amount of accepted students drop out on May 1st, and they want to make sure that they have plenty of people to fill in those holes.

There are plenty of people who go to this school now who interviewed on the last day last year. Don't worry! They look at the current waitlist and the new interviewees every time they make an admissions decision.

How does everyone feel about this school sending out interview invites with such short notice before the interview? It seems really late in the interview season, and now I'm just wondering if they are looking to fill up a wait-
There are plenty of people who go to this school now who interviewed on the last day last year. Don't worry! They look at the current waitlist and the new interviewees every time they make an admissions decision.

So it's like they are comparing everybody again and again? The ones they really want they accept immediately and the other ones they aren't sure about are put on the waitlist im guessing?

Hey everyone! I was recently admitted after being wait listed back in November. I am also holding a spot in a DO program much closer to home. My main concerns are the accreditation for this school, the area (during my interview I noticed the school is so small and not much going on around it), and matching into residency from here. What would you guys do in my case? I'd appreciate any input from current students and how they feel about the school!