2016-2017 California Northstate University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. If you were enrolled in less than 12 units/credits for more than 4 semesters/6 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation:
2. Please explain why you want to become a physician. Provide any experiences you had that have led you to this pursuit. (250 word limit)
3. In the current state of medical care, teamwork is critical for success. Please explain your understanding of what teamwork is; and identify your experiences of teamwork. (250 word limit).
4. In the medical profession you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues and patients from varying cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. Please explain how diversity has played a role in your life and education, and how would you apply this to your profession? (250 word limit).*
5. Summarize information that may provide the Admissions Committee with a deeper understanding of your personal strengths and/or accomplishments not previously reflected in your AMCAS application. (250 word limit).*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is it worth applying here if I'm out of state? I have 3.85 and 507 MCAT but re-taking July 22nd.

Is it worth applying here if I'm out of state? I have 3.85 and 507 MCAT but re-taking July 22nd.

At my interview day, there were a pretty large number of people from out of state! I'd say it's worth applying if you're interested in the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
CNU Med Students, can you provide your insight regarding this school? Since it's fairly new, how is the education and student life? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

CNU Med Students, can you provide your insight regarding this school? Since it's fairly new, how is the education and student life? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Recent admit to the school but I have heard that students have already been making incredible connections throughout California (i.e. research at Stanford, clinical opportunities) The dean was previously from UC Davis so the school will want to attract those kind of students. I chose this school over OOS ones because a CA MD school is a gold mine! People may say it's new so "be wary" but to be accepted by the board of American Medical Colleges is a huge deal and they really wouldn't certify just any school. Plus, the type of students they attract are ones from top schools in California such as Stanford, UCLA, UC Berk, UCSD. The average MCAT for the inaugural class was just over a 32 with a lower GPA around 3.48 I think (I am guessing that is because of the rigor of the UC System grades). The primary focus of the school is to make up for the lack of doctors in California which means they will prepare us to practice here. Some have wondered what the for-profit status means and I too was curious. Basically, the government has no money to open new med schools but we need doctors! This is why individuals interested in helping the physician shortage in CA have contributed/provided the funds to open this new medical school which I think is incredible! I also liked the fact that this is a brand new school so we can mold its future. Small class size is also a plus (around 90 kids for the 2nd year entries) and everyone seems to be very friendly as well.

Reactions: 8 users
Recent admit to the school but I have heard that students have already been making incredible connections throughout California (i.e. research at Stanford, clinical opportunities) The dean was previously from UC Davis so the school will want to attract those kind of students. I chose this school over OOS ones because a CA MD school is a gold mine! People may say it's new so "be wary" but to be accepted by the board of American Medical Colleges is a huge deal and they really wouldn't certify just any school. Plus, the type of students they attract are ones from top schools in California such as Stanford, UCLA, UC Berk, UCSD. The average MCAT for the inaugural class was just over a 32 with a lower GPA around 3.48 I think (I am guessing that is because of the rigor of the UC System grades). The primary focus of the school is to make up for the lack of doctors in California which means they will prepare us to practice here. Some have wondered what the for-profit status means and I too was curious. Basically, the government has no money to open new med schools but we need doctors! This is why individuals interested in helping the physician shortage in CA have contributed/provided the funds to open this new medical school which I think is incredible! I also liked the fact that this is a brand new school so we can mold its future. Small class size is also a plus (around 90 kids for the 2nd year entries) and everyone seems to be very friendly as well.

How are you paying for school? Private loans? Rich parents?

When do they send out the earliest secondary? I saw someone got one on July 18th last year.

How are you paying for school? Private loans? Rich parents?
For me- loans, mostly. I worked full time for a few years, so I have enough saved to cover cost of living, but tuition is all loans. I'm planning on going into primary care though, so I'm hoping for some loan forgiveness down the road.

For me- loans, mostly. I worked full time for a few years, so I have enough saved to cover cost of living, but tuition is all loans. I'm planning on going into primary care though, so I'm hoping for some loan forgiveness down the road.

Private loans though, correct? I don't think those are eligible for primary care loan forgiveness....

Reactions: 1 user
I'm hoping for some loan forgiveness down the road

Remember, private loans = no public service loan forgiveness. (Although you can commonly negotiate loan repayment into your contract when you take your first real job.)

Are you worried about the risk involved in taking those loan on the prayer that the government will do something like that?

Better call it quits now .... I mean, I can't imagine how any PCP could possibly pay off their debt only making 200K/year without government assistance. lol :claps:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you plan on claiming bankruptcy to pay off your loans, then why not borrow cost of living too instead of relying on savings?
I never said I planned on claiming bankruptcy. There are bills being introduced every year trying to get loan forgiveness programs for student private loans. I'm hoping by the time I graduate in four years something will have happened there. If not, I'll just have to pay them off over time. Not the end of the world- I always expected to go into debt going to medical school. It's unfortunately part of the process. In the meantime, I'm never going to take out more than I need- that's just bad form.

Are you worried about the risk involved in taking those loan on the prayer that the government will do something like that?

There isn't really that much of a risk. Medical school means I'll be basically guaranteed employment for the rest of my life, unless I royally screw up somewhere down the line. I have excellent credit, so my interest rate will be low. I'll be able to pay them off over time if I have to, which would be the case anyway even if the loans weren't private. Not ideal, but doable.

does this school only allow you to use private loans or something?

Hey guys. Fellow M2 here. Just finished all of my final exams and wanted to share some of my feelings about CNU for those who are considering applying here this cycle.

Most of my classmates, as well as myself, have taken out a loan from a private lender to pay for tuition. CNU isn't eligible for federal loans yet, but CNU has partnered with a few private lenders. The pro is that the interest rate I'm paying is pretty comparable to federal loan rates. The con is that if you have previous debt accrued that hasn't been paid off, you may not be eligible to get this loan. Additionally, the administration is trying to get scholarship money for the students.

Best things about the school: (In my opinion, the pros for the school >>>>>>>>>>> cons)

a) It's a small class of 60, so by now, most of us have become good friends with each other. Most of us are very cooperative, and we try to share resources and help each other out as much as possible. There isn't that sense of competition that may exist at other medical schools. (The incoming Class of 2020 has 90 students, and the Class of 2021 will also have 90 students.)

b) The M2s get a LOT of say in how the school is run. This includes suggesting changes for the curriculum, how certain faculty teach, being allowed to interview future prospective students, etc. The faculty members are very receptive to all of our feedback.

c) The curriculum is pretty innovative. Every week we have normal lectures where we learn the course material and an OSCE session where we get to practice working on a clinical skill with standardized patients. This clinical skill is related to the course material we learned during that week. Additionally, we work in groups of 5 to solve a clinical case where we are given a particular scenario (a patient coming in with xyz symptoms and a certain history) and we have to come up with a diagnosis. Finally, every other week we have a Master's Colloquiam session where we meet in groups of 20 to discuss various aspects of medicine outside the course material, such as ethical situations/problems we may face as physicians. In my opinion, most of the current faculty members know how to teach effectively.

Cons: There aren't many things that I dislike/hate about the school. Since it's a brand new school and we're the first class, we don't have the option to talk to upperclassmen to get advice on succeeding in medical school, opportunities for research and other ECs, applying for residency, etc. This means that we're figuring these things out by ourselves for the most part, along with the aid of the faculty.

Overall, I've really enjoyed my time so far at CNU. I definitely do not regret coming here, and I think CNU will prepare me well to become an effective physician. If you have any other questions about the school, student body, or interview/admissions process, don't hesitate to ask/message me.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Keyser, thanks for your input.

From what I understand, CNU is transitioning to a MMI interview format instead of a traditional interview that they did for the first class. How involved will the M2s be in selecting future students? What role do you guys see yourselves doing in the upcoming months?

Glance at last year's thread, I have a post about MMI's there. Students are relatively involved with the interview process, other than the paper part, which only student adcom members see.

Hey Keyser, thanks for your input.

From what I understand, CNU is transitioning to a MMI interview format instead of a traditional interview that they did for the first class. How involved will the M2s be in selecting future students? What role do you guys see yourselves doing in the upcoming months?
The MMI format is true. A friend interviewed there last year and he said it was almost purely ethical MMI.

What is their new MCAT average ?

What are the interest rate u get through private lenders?

Interest acquires after school ?

What is their new MCAT average ?
What are the interest rates you get through private lenders?
Interest acquires after school ?

MCAT: No final numbers until the ℅ 2020 matriculates and an updated MSAR is released, but I heard a while ago that the median for 2020 is hovering around a 33-34 / 514-515. Assuming a linear shift in the 10 and 90th percentiles, this would mean a 10th/90th of: 509-510 (30-31) / 518-519 (36-37)

------

Interest rates: That will depend on your personal credit history, but between 3.5-7.5%+3-month-LIBOR. My credit score was ~730-740 , no co-signer and I got 6.25% for M1 loans, 5.875% for M2 loans with iHelp. I know some people with co-signers that are in the low 4% range. The interest rate ranges on the fixed rate loans from SallieMae are similar but with a ~2% right-shift.

Other: No origination fees, interest doesn't capitalize until the loan enters repayment, 6 month grace period + 48 months in-residency deferment. [Note, this pertains to iHelp. I can't recall SallieMae's terms off the top of my head]
(Current federal origination fees for Stafford Unsubsidized loan (first 20K) = 1.068% and Graduate PLUS Loan (anything in excess of 20K) = 4.272%)

For anyone wondering, what you can do with existing federal loans with no in-school deferment is this: You apply for income-based repayment --> $0 income --> monthly payment goes to $0 --> interest accrual is marginally worse than if you were not making payments on a typical in-school federal loan deferment. Not pretty, but it works.

Anyone received a secondary yet? I was verified on 6/24.

Not yet :s

Same!

Prompts:

1. If you were enrolled in less than 12 units/credits for more than 4 semesters/6 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation:
2. Please explain why you want to become a physician. Provide any experiences you had that have led you to this pursuit. (250 word limit)
3. In the current state of medical care, teamwork is critical for success. Please explain your understanding of what teamwork is; and identify your experiences of teamwork. (250 word limit).
4. In the medical profession you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues and patients from varying cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. Please explain how diversity has played a role in your life and education, and how would you apply this to your profession? (250 word limit).*
5. Summarize information that may provide the Admissions Committee with a deeper understanding of your personal strengths and/or accomplishments not previously reflected in your AMCAS application. (250 word limit).*

@WedgeDawg

In the parent/guardian relationship portion of the application it has "First/Second Parental Relationship" do we put our parent's name or just put the generic Mother/Father?

Just out of curiosity, why is CNU your top choice?

Not really, although it would be convenient since I live down the road from there. I really don't know how to feel about this place. I will say that I've precepted their pharmacy students and the consensus among my colleagues is that they're usually rubbish. I would say 1/10 has a clue and usually only because that particular person is motivated to self teach. It's an absolute crime what they pay for the education they receive. I like the idea of staying in sac, and unlike a lot of DO programs they have rotations at real hospitals but I'm debating whether to finish my app here due to what I've seen with the products of their other programs. I would advise everyone proceed with caution.

So going back to the prompts...how do we answer the "why do you want to be a physician" question without practically re-writing our entire personal statement? How are you all approaching this question?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In the parent/guardian relationship portion of the application it has "First/Second Parental Relationship" do we put our parent's name or just put the generic Mother/Father?
i put mother/father cuz it basically asked for relationship not names?

I'm a rising M2 at CNUCOM. Feel free to PM me with questions everyone and best of luck!

So going back to the prompts...how do we answer the "why do you want to be a physician" question without practically re-writing our entire personal statement? How are you all approaching this question?

So we had the same question when we applied and I suppose you could just kind of re-hash the personal statement, but what I did was tell a different story. So my personal statement had one story and how I decided on pursuing this field and then for this secondary question, I told a different, shorter story focusing on one part of my decision to pursue medicine, if that makes any sense.

I'm a rising M2 at CNUCOM. Feel free to PM me with questions everyone and best of luck!

So we had the same question when we applied and I suppose you could just kind of re-hash the personal statement, but what I did was tell a different story. So my personal statement had one story and how I decided on pursuing this field and then for this secondary question, I told a different, shorter story focusing on one part of my decision to pursue medicine, if that makes any sense.

I had this same question....so your new story was not even related to the PS? So basically just a new story? Because all of the stories for my secondaries so far I have been relating back to "why I want to be a doctor" anyways even if it doesn't directly ask, so i guess I could re-use anything?

I had this same question....so your new story was not even related to the PS? So basically just a new story? Because all of the stories for my secondaries so far I have been relating back to "why I want to be a doctor" anyways even if it doesn't directly ask, so i guess I could re-use anything?
So to make things more clear, my personal statement had a long overview of how I decided on choosing medicine. For the secondary, I decided to write about my experiences in healthcare and how it helped me decide on choosing medicine. So, different stories, but still tied back to why I want to be a physician.

So to make things more clear, my personal statement had a long overview of how I decided on choosing medicine. For the secondary, I decided to write about my experiences in healthcare and how it helped me decide on choosing medicine. So, different stories, but still tied back to why I want to be a physician.

That makes sense! I will probably focus on an experience that I mentioned in my PS and expand on it or just choose another experience that I did not mention that contributed to my decision to become a physician. Thanks for the advice, @carpeomnious !:cat:

so the word limit is 250 words but the character limit is 1782....should we stick to 250? one of my essays is like 257 and it's less than the character count so I don't know what to do...

so the word limit is 250 words but the character limit is 1782....should we stick to 250? one of my essays is like 257 and it's less than the character count so I don't know what to do...
I have the same problem, may be it is an error on their part

Thank you for the clarification! :)

I wish their secondary was better designed and didn't require us to basically repeat everything that was already listed on the primary... (courses/grades, extracurricular activities, etc.)

Anyone know how they're sending out secondaries? GPA/MCAT screening?

I have a 3.9/40 and haven't received anything yet. I'm a CA applicant and I"m really interested in this school!

Anyone know how they're sending out secondaries? GPA/MCAT screening?

I have a 3.9/40 and haven't received anything yet. I'm a CA applicant and I"m really interested in this school!
Your stats are great so I'm sure it's not that. I added the school on the 5th and got the secondary last Thursday. When did you get verified or added this school to your primary? Maybe they just haven't got to your application yet

Your stats are great so I'm sure it's not that. I added the school on the 5th and got the secondary last Thursday. When did you get verified or added this school to your primary? Maybe they just haven't got to your application yet
I added the school the first day the primary could be submitted. I was verified June 10. I think I should be in the first wave of applications they saw.

I guess what I'm worried about is whether they screen out applications over a certain threshold too.