2015-2016 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone think we'll hear back this week?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just called them... and they said it could be over the next couple of weeks. :(
Let's be optimistic and pretend like a ton of people are withdrawing right now and they are holding off on giving us a decision so that they can just accept us outright

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi future 'Canes, if anyone is considering living in South Beach as opposed to Brickell or anywhere else, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi future 'Canes, if anyone is considering living in South Beach as opposed to Brickell or anywhere else, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Hi Griggsy, I'm thinking about SoBe for M2. Biggest concerns are the commute and flooding. Do you mostly watch lectures from home? How often do you find yourself needing to be on campus and how bad is the commute with traffic? Is the relative distance from campus more of a pain during M3-4?

Anyone think we may hear something today because it's a Wednesday? Or are their adcom meetings all done now.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone think we may hear something today because it's a Wednesday? Or are their adcom meetings all done now.

The last adcom meeting (last week) had to be postponed, and we're not entirely sure when it is happening now. I'm guessing it's probably because they wanted to give all of the last minute interviewees an equal chance at straight acceptance with the last acceptance day instead of just throwing the ones they didn't get to by that day into the alternate list. To me, that's a completely valid reason to be running slightly late. All we can really do is sit and wait it out :)

PS - everyone that is freaking out, remember that they had a ton of alternate list movement last year after traffic day. Keep your hopes up! :)

The last adcom meeting (last week) had to be postponed, and we're not entirely sure when it is happening now. I'm guessing it's probably because they wanted to give all of the last minute interviewees an equal chance at straight acceptance with the last acceptance day instead of just throwing the ones they didn't get to by that day into the alternate list. To me, that's a completely valid reason to be running slightly late. All we can really do is sit and wait it out :)

PS - everyone that is freaking out, remember that they had a ton of alternate list movement last year after traffic day. Keep your hopes up! :)

The MSAR says that out of 30-40 wait listed they gave out 30 acceptances!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Do you think that we'll get some kind of response by next Thursday? I'm currently racking my brains choosing between 2 schools that I would drop in a second for Miami, so I'm hoping they come through :)

@coffee1130 I've concluded that some schools put the number of people in the starting class who came off the waitlist and not the number of people offered a spot off the waitlist (the waitlist numbers are self-reported). There are some schools that interview almost 1k people for a class of 100 and then say that only 25 waitlist spots are offered- seems like a lot to interview if you only end up needing 25 waitlisted students. I wouldn't put too much stock into what they say

I was wondering the same thing... I
Do you think that we'll get some kind of response by next Thursday? I'm currently racking my brains choosing between 2 schools that I would drop in a second for Miami, so I'm hoping they come through :)

@coffee1130 I've concluded that some schools put the number of people in the starting class who came off the waitlist and not the number of people offered a spot off the waitlist (the waitlist numbers are self-reported). There are some schools that interview almost 1k people for a class of 100 and then say that only 25 waitlist spots are offered- seems like a lot to interview if you only end up needing 25 waitlisted students. I wouldn't put too much stock into what they say
why do you need to decide before Thursday?

I was wondering the same thing... I

why do you need to decide before Thursday?
Just because that gives one more Wednesday for the committee to meet, haha. The following Wednesday is right before we need to give a decision

I also applied MD/MPH which starts in June. I have some time sensitive stuff that I would need to crunch out if I get in

Members don't see this ad :)
Just because that gives one more Wednesday for the committee to meet, haha. The following Wednesday is right before we need to give a decision

I also applied MD/MPH which starts in June. I have some time sensitive stuff that I would need to crunch out if I get in
I hear that. Gluck!

Hi Griggsy, I'm thinking about SoBe for M2. Biggest concerns are the commute and flooding. Do you mostly watch lectures from home? How often do you find yourself needing to be on campus and how bad is the commute with traffic? Is the relative distance from campus more of a pain during M3-4?

The commute is usually pretty good. On most days, the traffic is in the opposite direction of where you are headed (traffic is towards the beach in the morning, away from the beach in the afternoon). There are certainly some exceptions because this is Miami and the traffic is unpredictable, and some events like Art Basel and Ultra Music Festival make traveling anywhere in Miami a nightmare. But it is nice that my commute avoids the traffic misery that is I-95. Also, the traffic on the beach itself is really not bad at all as long as you know where to avoid - mainly Washington, Collins or Ocean.

The drive to school in the morning is typically 15-20 minutes. I'll usually walk out of my apartment around a half hour before I am supposed to be in class, and on days I absolutely cannot be late like an exam day, I'll typically leave an hour before to give myself plenty of time and maybe a few extra minutes to cram after getting to school.

The drive home typically takes a little longer because the traffic is usually worse, but I'd say 90% of the time I am home within a half hour. You just gotta know what short cuts to take and what areas to avoid, which I'd be happy to elaborate if you want.

It is also possible to take the bus to school and back, which I did for the first couple of months before I had a car. It is definitely more convenient to drive if you can, but the bus is doable. I believe they now have real-time bus tracking for the route that goes to campus and back on the Miami-Dade Transit website, which makes life a little easier.

Flooding is a valid concern, however I have not had much issue with it. In my experience, it seems to be more of a problem in the mid-beach area as opposed to the South Beach area. While the roads in South Beach do mildly flood from time to time during the rainy season, it is usually short lived, and I've never had it affect my commute or my car. That being said, I am happy to have a 2nd floor apartment in case there was ever severe flooding during a hurricane.

As far as how often I need to go to campus, it varies week to week. Ironically, I went to class a lot more when I was taking the bus everyday, but then I came to the realization that I saved myself a lot of time by watching lectures 1.5x speed from home. Currently, I watch most of my lectures from home, but I typically go to campus 2-3x per week for mandatory lectures, small group, tests, labs, or whatever else.

As far as if it is more of a pain during years 3 or 4, I can't totally speak to that since I am only in my first year. However, the only thing I think would be different for me would be that I would buy the monthly parking pass as opposed to the single use passes (we are allowed to buy 10 single use passes a month for $3.70 each, or a monthly pass for ~$60. I opt for the single use passes currently because the 10 is enough to get me through the month, and any that aren't used can be carried over. It also makes it convenient if you are able to car pool with another student who also buys single use passes). Since for us MD students, pretty much all of our rotations are at the UM/Jackson campus, so the commute itself would be the same. As for MD/MPH students, I am not sure what they do because some (or all? idk) of there rotations are at the regional campus in Boca, so I can't really answer for that.

As for MD/MPH students, I am not sure what they do because some (or all? idk) of there rotations are at the regional campus in Boca, so I can't really answer for that.
In case you were interested/if any MD/MPH applicants didn't know: The 3rd year for MD/MPH involves a lot of driving. One 4th year at my interview said they put 30K (which was probably an exaggeration) miles on their car during 3rd year. And my host had to drive close to an hour to get to the clinical site they were currently rotating in (but that was the farthest site).

That was the one downside for the MD/MPH, but it's what I want to do so it is worth it

That was the one downside for the MD/MPH, but it's what I want to do so it is worth it

30K miles? Did you know that's more than once around the entire globe? Sounds terrible. You should pick another program and let me carry that burden for you. ;)

Reactions: 2 users

I don't remember MSAR showing having those stats. Is this new to this year's version.

I don't remember MSAR showing having those stats. Is this new to this year's version.
Yeah, it is new and the schools choose whether or not to report it and the numbers are not verified

I guys-- need some advice. I called UM up today and they looked into my file and was told that I would get a decision email on Monday. Tone of voice didn't sound too enthused or too pessimistic-- somewhere in the middle. I don't want to be looking into this too much-- but my status has yet to change on my Portal even though they apparently made a decision. Is this a bad thing? Also-- are most people waitlisted post interview? Or do we think that we have entered the period of time that only straight accept/reject will be given?

Thanks

I guys-- need some advice. I called UM up today and they looked into my file and was told that I would get a decision email on Monday. Tone of voice didn't sound too enthused or too pessimistic-- somewhere in the middle. I don't want to be looking into this too much-- but my status has yet to change on my Portal even though they apparently made a decision. Is this a bad thing? Also-- are most people waitlisted post interview? Or do we think that we have entered the period of time that only straight accept/reject will be given?

Thanks
My status has not been updated either. Try not to read into it too much. The good news is that we are hearing back on Monday!

Enjoy your weekend and we can stress when Monday comes

Thanks

Dr. Weisman mentioned today at Second Look that after the April 30th deadline for multiple acceptances there is a chance that around 25 spots might open up for students in the alternate list. However, I don't know if there will be acceptances sent out before that day. Good luck to everyone! UM is truly an amazing place! :)

Dr. Weisman mentioned today at Second Look that after the April 30th deadline for multiple acceptances there is a chance that around 25 spots might open up for students in the alternate list. However, I don't know if there will be acceptances sent out before that day. Good luck to everyone! UM is truly an amazing place! :)
So, I should assume a rejection or WL position come this Monday?

Is that how many spots opened up last year? Seems like way more ppl were accepted from the app thread posts

So, I should assume a rejection or WL position come this Monday?
we were told at our interview date (the last one) that there were still spots for us, so I'm assuming there will still be a few straight acceptances.

we were told at our interview date (the last one) that there were still spots for us, so I'm assuming there will still be a few straight acceptances.
Thanks for the hope ;) I sure do need it. This process is grueling.... and Miami is my last chance at a shot for a med school position this year.

Anyone hear anything today ??

I got the alternate list today for both programs! Hoping for some movement soon :)

I got the alternate list today for both programs! Hoping for some movement soon :)

Sorry to hear that but keep your head up! Did you find out via email? Mind sharing when you interviewed?

Sorry to hear that but keep your head up! Did you find out via email? Mind sharing when you interviewed?

Yea I got an email this morning, and it was one of the last interview dates, hope you guys hear back soon!

Alternate listed... mixed feelings :( :)
Sorry :/ Good luck! The MD/MPH waitlist seems to move a little quicker just because they need to get the class formed by June, so you'll get a definitive answer within the next month at least.

Mine still says that the final review needs to be done. Do they mail rejections?

Sorry :/ Good luck! The MD/MPH waitlist seems to move a little quicker just because they need to get the class formed by June, so you'll get a definitive answer within the next month at least.

Mine still says that the final review needs to be done. Do they mail rejections?
They email rejections

do any of you guys know how they rank the undergraduate institution portion on their scaling system? {referring to the picture uploaded at beginning of this thread}.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

do any of you guys know how they rank the undergraduate institution portion on their scaling system? {referring to the picture uploaded at beginning of this thread}/QUOTE]

I think the prevailing assumption is that the point rubric on that picture is what is assessed pre-interview for potential IIs, with applicants with higher points on this rubric being invited earliest. Then, additional interview points are added to that, and this final score determines your rank. On each acceptance day, they accept the top 20-30 on the ranked list.

If you mean how they assess your undergrad institution score itself, it's probably based on a number of things: national ranking, difficulty of major, grade deflation/inflation, success of accepted students in the past with the same alma matter, etc. Nobody really knows for sure :)

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know: If we are accepted off the waitlist, when would we hear about financial aid? If we already turned in the scholarship essays, would we hear that the same time?

I'm kind of confused why some people are being placed on the alternate list and some are getting silence. Since it's almost April 30th it seems like we're all at least unofficially on the alt list ? Not complaining, I just wish I knew what all of this means !

I'm kind of confused why some people are being placed on the alternate list and some are getting silence. Since it's almost April 30th it seems like we're all at least unofficially on the alt list ? Not complaining, I just wish I knew what all of this means !

Did anyone call and get any confirmation on whether they actually called the 20-30 acceptances for this last date? Kind of strange that they sent out a few waitlist emails considering they've always called the accepted students first. Was expecting to see 2-3 people posting to say that they were accepted but may just be they haven't gotten to it yet :S

Does anyone know: If we are accepted off the waitlist, when would we hear about financial aid? If we already turned in the scholarship essays, would we hear that the same time?

Generally, you're notified of any institutional award upon acceptance. As far as other fin aid, you probably won't hear for a while if you're MD-only. Some of the MD/MPH's are still waiting for their information to be finalized and we start in June. In all reality, it makes sense. The seniors are graduating and need to be hashed out plus there's three other classes that need to be accounted for.

Did anyone call and get any confirmation on whether they actually called the 20-30 acceptances for this last date? Kind of strange that they sent out a few waitlist emails considering they've always called the accepted students first. Was expecting to see 2-3 people posting to say that they were accepted but may just be they haven't gotten to it yet :S

I've been thinking the same thing for a few weeks. We haven't heard about any acceptances from the supposed "April 6" release date, so here's to hoping that they haven't made those 20-30 acceptances for that date yet!

I've been thinking the same thing for a few weeks. We haven't heard about any acceptances from the supposed "April 6" release date, so here's to hoping that they haven't made those 20-30 acceptances for that date yet!

Yah, could just be chance that they all went to people not on SDN, but we usually do see at least 2-3 ppl posting so I'm not entirely sure. I'll shoot them a call later today to see if I can figure out for sure :confused:. Totally understand why they would need the extra time though, probably a pretty high stress environment in that office right now with traffic day coming up next week.