2015-2016 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yah, could just be chance that they all went to people not on SDN, but we usually do see at least 2-3 ppl posting so I'm not entirely sure. I'll shoot them a call later today to see if I can figure out for sure :confused:. Totally understand why they would need the extra time though, probably a pretty high stress environment in that office right now with traffic day coming up next week.
Someone from my interview date was already accepted on that unannounced acceptance day. I think they probably are just waiting for people to withdraw to see how many spots they have left to fill

Members don't see this ad.

Someone from my interview date was already accepted on that unannounced acceptance day. I think they probably are just waiting for people to withdraw to see how many spots they have left to fill

Just rang admissions - only a small portion of people have heard back from April 6. They've handed out a few of the acceptances and waitlist decisions for the April 6 group (hence why your friend probably heard back), but it's still ongoing at the moment.

Just got accepted for MD/MPH! After getting on the waitlist on Monday! Good luck to everyone!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted for MD/MPH! After getting on the waitlist on Monday! Good luck to everyone!!!!

Not at all jealous. Nope. Six months of waitlist has done nothing to my sanity, I swear ;__;.

In all seriousness, congrats! Really quick turnaround, hopefully some more of us start hearing back soon

Reactions: 1 users
Not at all jealous. Nope. Six months of waitlist has done nothing to my sanity, I swear ;__;.

In all seriousness, congrats! Really quick turnaround, hopefully some more of us start hearing back soon
Congrats @BaseballGuru11 !

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
thank you guys, best of luck to everyone, this process is so crazy, but anything can happen!! :):)

Congrats to you, @BaseballGuru11 for your recent acceptance! Also, thank you to everyone who came out for second look weekend. I probably met a few of you without even realizing it, but I enjoyed meeting everyone I talked to. If any of you are still deciding between UM and other schools, I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about UM if you feel like that would help you make a decision. And good luck to those of you still on the waitlist! I didn't get accepted until the middle of May last year, and I know of many other classmates who also got off the waitlist, so you're definitely not out of the running yet. In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your senior year/gap year/whatever you're doing!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all! Big congratulations to everybody who has already been accepted! I am still in a state of prolonged and indefinite waiting since I interviewed. I was in the March 14-15 block. I have not received any update from UMMSM via email and my online status still reads "Your application and interview report will be reviewed a final time by the admissions committee....." I find it slightly unsettling that certain students are know being accepted off of the alternate list and I (and any other students in my boat) have no way of confirming whether or not my report has received its final reviews. I was informed by Dr. Weisman during an info session that they still had a proportional amount of acceptances left for the last several interview dates. Should I know assume that all of those straight-acceptances have been given away? Has the admissions committee finished all their "final reports" following each interview? Should I assume that mine was missed? Or should I assume that it was reviewed and I am now on the alternate list without being informed?

Sorry for my barrage of questions:/ I just have no idea what is going on with the current status of my application and were getting to the end of April (yikes).

Thanks for any and all insight.

Last edited:
Hey all! Big congratulations to everybody who has already been accepted! I am still in a state of prolonged and indefinite waiting since I interviewed. I was in the March 14-15 block. I have not received any update from UMMSM via email and my online status still reads "Your application and interview report will be reviewed a final time by the admissions committee....." I find it slightly unsettling that certain students are know being accepted off of the alternate list and I (and any other students in my boat) have no way of confirming whether or not my report has received its final reviews. I was informed by Dr. Weisman during an info session that they still had a proportional amount of acceptances left for the last several interview dates. Should I know assume that all of those straight-acceptances have been given away? Has the admissions committee finished all their "final reports" following each interview? Should I assume that mine was missed? Or should I assume that it was reviewed and I am now on the alternate list without being informed?

Sorry for my barrage of questions:/ I just have no idea what is going on with the current status of my application and were getting to the end of April (yikes).

Thanks for any and all insight.

1. There weren't many more interview dates after yours
2. That's the status right before a final decision is made, so presumably you should hear back soon
3. They are running late on getting back to everyone from the 4/6 date, but are equally looking at all the interviewees up until that date. Some people have heard back, other have not - you seem to be in the latter group. I doubt they'll give out all of the 20ish acceptances until each of those interviewees is reviewed so there is still a chance.

Either way, you should hear something by the end of the upcoming week. Good luck!

1. There weren't many more interview dates after yours
2. That's the status right before a final decision is made, so presumably you should hear back soon
3. They are running late on getting back to everyone from the 4/6 date, but are equally looking at all the interviewees up until that date. Some people have heard back, other have not - you seem to be in the latter group. I doubt they'll give out all of the 20ish acceptances until each of those interviewees is reviewed so there is still a chance.

Either way, you should hear something by the end of the upcoming week. Good luck!
Meh, I doubt they haven't already given out 20 acceptances, but it's one of those things that we can't really do anything about but wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the "final decision has been reached"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Does anyone have any advice: I have an acceptance in other places and can't decide at what amount of financial scholarship from the other schools, I should just go there instead of Miami (Which is my top choice). The other schools are of comparable "rank".

Does anyone have any advice: I have an acceptance in other places and can't decide at what amount of financial scholarship from the other schools, I should just go there instead of Miami (Which is my top choice). The other schools are of comparable "rank".

This is a super personal choice, but you seem to realize that nobody is going to give you an exact number on it, so here's my advice. Miami nicely lays out all of the costs they can reasonably predict (http://www.mededu.miami.edu/OSFA/Cost.htm), though depending on your eating habits $4000 for food for a whole year can be hit or miss (in either direction). I assume that if you got a full ride to UM, you would go, and that if you got no money from UM you wouldn't, also assuming federal financial aid is held constant across all schools. You can try to calculate some things numerically: how much more expensive will traveling to see your family be at School X vs. UM? How much would you save on transportation if School X has a better public transportation system than UM? Do other schools offer dorms/subsidized housing? Ultimately it comes down how much monetary value you put on your preference for UM compared to the other school.

And another note: "rank" of a school may not necessarily have an impact on this. Residencies are more concerned with your Step 1 score than what med school you went to; "higher rank" schools maybe tend to teach towards the test better, and their students therefore maybe score higher. But I know people who have attended UPenn get lousy scores and be turned away from residencies of their choice, and people who
went to University of Kansas and killed it, ending up at Mass General. It's not necessarily about what you've got, but what you're gonna do with it. Where do you think you're going to do your best?

The weight of debt is subjective. Personally, anything over ~50k of debt would not be worth it for me if I knew I would be equally happy in going to either school, but this number might be higher or lower for other people. Remember that other things go into it too though, like distance from family, match rates into your specialty, and ultimately where you want to end up practicing.

Why haven't I been rejected yet...
This is the only school of 25+ that hasn't cut me off pre-ii at this point.

Why haven't I been rejected yet...
This is the only school of 25+ that hasn't cut me off pre-ii at this point.
Same here - so frustrating! We spent time and money on the application, the least schools could do is tell us if we've been rejected.

Same here - so frustrating! We spent time and money on the application, the least schools could do is tell us if we've been rejected.
I literally emailed them today and was like....uhh....am I even gonna get a decision...?

Reactions: 3 users
I was waitlisted on Monday for the MD and MD/MPH program. I interviewed on Feb 29.

does anyone know what % are usually accepted off of the alternate list?

I don't know exact numbers, but I know a lot of my classmates did get off the waitlist (myself included) after the multiple accept deadline.

if we're keeping this acceptance do we need to do anything by Monday? Pay the deposit?

if we're keeping this acceptance do we need to do anything by Monday? Pay the deposit?

Pls don't ;___;

Jk - according to the website, Deposit Due: May 15, 2016. So you can get rid of your other acceptances and ride on the waitlist for other schools you're interested in for ~2 more weeks before having to pay up.

Last year, 369/600 people were given offers, and we know 20ish people are accepted at each decision date x10 = 200 total accepted thoughout the year. 369-200 = 169 from waitlist are accepted. But, fairly certain that 169 also includes people who were waitlisted early on and then accepted at one of the latter decision days, so the math isn't that easy. To make matters worse, someone who interviewed in Feb posted than Dean Weisman expected ~25 ppl's worth of movement. On the other hand, the MSAR notes 30/40 waitlistees were given acceptances (but these numbers are not verified so are also likely way off).

Basically, take @Ace Khalifa's word that 'a lot' are accepted. If it gives you any solace, last year's thread shows they had quite a bit of movement, but that might have just been an off year; nobody can really tell since these things change from year to year.

Hey everyone, just wondering whether the school provides students with a tablet or laptop of some sort?
No, you'll have to bring your own. Doesn't really matter what kind, as long as you have a way of taking notes and downloading powerpoints.

Does anyone know if the committee is having another meeting sometime this week to send out more offers in a batch, or do they usually just do the waitlist offers one at a time as people drop the school?

On Friday I was accepted off the waitlist at UM for the MD program. I would have loved the opportunity to go to second look. I was wondering if anyone who went to second look can share about their experience? I'm deciding between UM and another school.

On Friday I was accepted off the waitlist at UM for the MD program. I would have loved the opportunity to go to second look. I was wondering if anyone who went to second look can share about their experience? I'm deciding between UM and another school.
Congratulations! May I ask when you interviewed?

I think you'll get more mileage if you join the class of 2020 fb group and ask people there. From what I could tell as an MS-1 who interacted with a lot of you guys that weekend, everyone had a lot of fun. @diaz0188 and @Kfranko889 were there; maybe they can tell you more?

Does anyone know if the committee is having another meeting sometime this week to send out more offers in a batch, or do they usually just do the waitlist offers one at a time as people drop the school?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Also, anybody get any news in the last few days?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Also, anybody get any news in the last few days?

Pretty sure waitlist moves by rank

Multiple accept deadline is tonight at 11:59pm, so we should start seeing people post about it tomorrow

I was accepted this morning - SO THRILLED!

Reactions: 4 users
Looks like about 30 ppl dropped out. The Facebook group has 180 members including admins & reps, down from 210 last week. Good luck to those of you still waiting!

Congrats! Is this for MD/PhD?

No, just MD today, but I'm still on the MD/PhD waitlist. I'll take it though! They threw in a nice scholarship amount too. I got my background check email this morning, before getting the call, if anyone is curious. I thought AMCAS distributed them to everyone on the waitlist after 4/30 though, so I didn't think anything of it.

Last edited:
accepted this morning into the MD program.. anyone have a link to the facebook group? thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
No, just MD today, but I'm still on the MD/PhD waitlist. I'll take it though! They threw in a nice scholarship amount too. I got my background check email this morning, before getting the call, if anyone is curious. I thought AMCAS distributed them to everyone on the waitlist after 4/30 though, so I didn't think anything of it.
Where did you see the scholarship amount??