2015-2016 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone help me out - I'm looking for the page that lists some of the things we should have when we start, I remember it saying like stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, tuning fork...I can't find the page again and it's driving me crazy.
So ... don't tell anyone I said this, but you don't really need those things as urgently as you might think. If you can afford them they're great to have of course, but you can get by without them for now. Most of those items are available in the exam rooms when you actually see patients, and you won't really be using them otherwise. So if you're low on funds (the ophthalmoscope is especially pricey), hold off for now.

Either way you definitely don't need them for the first day of class.

The two exceptions I would say are definitely the lab coat (cuz ya need to look fly, yo), and the stethoscope, as you use that fairly often and will want your own. The alumni association donated stethoscopes for us, but unfortunately you can't just assume that will happen again (although I know they want to continue that tradition).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Can anyone help me out - I'm looking for the page that lists some of the things we should have when we start, I remember it saying like stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, tuning fork...I can't find the page again and it's driving me crazy.

So ... don't tell anyone I said this, but you don't really need those things as urgently as you might think. If you can afford them they're great to have of course, but you can get by without them for now. Most of those items are available in the exam rooms when you actually see patients, and you won't really be using them otherwise. So if you're low on funds (the ophthalmoscope is especially pricey), hold off for now.

The two exceptions I would say are definitely the lab coat (cuz ya need to look fly, yo), and the stethoscope, as you use that fairly often and will want your own. The alumni association donated stethoscopes for us, but unfortunately you can't just assume that will happen again (although I know they want to continue that tradition).
Yeah don't make the same mistake I made by actually buying everything lol. Get your white coat for sure. Wait and see if you need to buy a stethoscope; you won't need it for the first week of classes.

Hi everyone! I'm a rising MS4 looking for a roommate to fill a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom condo in Brickell. The unit is fully furnished with some nice furniture and and is conveniently located. I've been living in the unit for the past 3 years and have had no problems with the unit or landlord. The lease would start on 6/20/16 so this would be perfect timing for incoming MD/MPHers. Please message me if you're interested. I would prefer to have male roommates if possible. See the link below for some pictures.

http://caneslist.net/ads/roommate-needed-to-fill-nicely-furnished-3-bd2-br-condo-in-brickell-2/

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you think we'll ever need to purchase them? Asides from a stethoscope, that is. It's a pricey purchase for something we'll be given when we need them...

You don't really need them in my experience... I still have my otoscope, ophthalmoscope, blood pressure cuff and stethoscope. I use the BP cuff occasionally to check my BP. If you're gonna buy an ophthalmoscope buy the panoptic... Better view...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think we'll ever need to purchase them? Asides from a stethoscope, that is. It's a pricey purchase for something we'll be given when we need them...
Buy a cheap BP cuff if you plan on doing vitals at health fairs. Otherwise, you can pretty much borrow an ophthalmoscope from your friends whenever you need to use it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, can someone please send me the link to the class of 2020 facebook page? Thanks!

So I just realized today is the one year anniversary of when I got off the waitlist for UM. Holy crap.

Have a great summer, everyone. Can't wait to see y'all in August! (those of you matriculating)

So I just realized today is the one year anniversary of when I got off the waitlist for UM. Holy crap.

Have a great summer, everyone. Can't wait to see y'all in August! (those of you matriculating)

Do you know if there will be much (if any) movement from the waitlist at this point in the game?

I have my fingers crossed. I've sent a letter of "Please don't forget about me" after my letter of intent. I love this school too much :(

Do you know if there will be much (if any) movement from the waitlist at this point in the game?
I really have no idea. I'm not involved in admissions at all, I only know pieces of stuff from what my few classmates who are more involved in admissions have told me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at last years thread, it seems that UM will give application/interview critique to those who ask for it, as long as the request is submitted before June 1st. Could be helpful to those who are planning on re-applying. Good luck to all, though!

Accepted to MD/MPH yesterday around 4 PM EST by phone call. Received an email a few hours later. SO THRILLED! See you guys in June/August!

Hey all, anyone have any luck inquiring about their position on the waitlist? I've tried multiple times to no avail (via email to admissions). The other school that I'm accepted to has some time sensitive things that I need to take care of sooner or later. Thanks in advance for any information or advice!

Hey all, anyone have any luck inquiring about their position on the waitlist? I've tried multiple times to no avail (via email to admissions). The other school that I'm accepted to has some time sensitive things that I need to take care of sooner or later. Thanks in advance for any information or advice!
I withdrew from Miami this week. But I had a time sensitive, important question that needed to be answered by Miami that I asked a month ago and they still did not respond (the final transcripts were due end of May for MD/MPH, but their website said that pre-reqs needed to be done by August 1st. I signed up for a class that ended June 15th, would that be okay?). I was signing up for a pre-req that isn't required by any school but Miami, so it would have been nice for them to let me know if I would have been wasting $1.5K by taking that course. They haven't been easy to get in touch with since the interview.

Great school, would've love to have attended, but it might be hard for you to get in touch with them. Hopefully you are able hear from them quickly!

Yeah I agree. This school is awesome and I will likely attend if admitted. But I'm accepted at another awesome school and I can't keep putting that stuff off. Thanks for your response
I withdrew from Miami this week. But I had a time sensitive, important question that needed to be answered by Miami that I asked a month ago and they still did not respond (the final transcripts were due end of May for MD/MPH, but their website said that pre-reqs needed to be done by August 1st. I signed up for a class that ended June 15th, would that be okay?). I was signing up for a pre-req that isn't required by any school but Miami, so it would have been nice for them to let me know if I would have been wasting $1.5K by taking that course. They haven't been easy to get in touch with since the interview.

Great school, would've love to have attended, but it might be hard for you to get in touch with them. Hopefully you are able hear from them quickly!
!

I've never had an issue with calling their office. If you need a question answered in a timely manner, pick up the phone

I've never had an issue with calling their office. If you need a question answered in a timely manner, pick up the phone
I've called a few times before- they're not transparent about it by any means, unfortunately.

I've called a few times before- they're not transparent about it by any means, unfortunately.
I'm in the same situation. I've tried emailing or calling about it and they say it's against their policy to tell us. I'm just going through the motions with my other school and accepting I will take a financial loss if I drop everything and come to Miami.

Did they at least tell you if the waitlist is still moving? I'm guessing it's a trickle of movement if any.

I'm in the same situation. I've tried emailing or calling about it and they say it's against their policy to tell us. I'm just going through the motions with my other school and accepting I will take a financial loss if I drop everything and come to Miami.

Did they at least tell you if the waitlist is still moving? I'm guessing it's a trickle of movement if any.
There is still movement, apparently. Yeah I'm really happy with the other school, I just prefer Miami slightly more. I disagree with their zero transparency policy- it makes applicants' lives much more difficult.

Can any of the accepted students give us waitlisters an idea if there has been any movement on the Facebook page in the last two weeks?

I just got in MD!!!!!! Interviewed Feb 26th.
Welcome to the Miller fam! I know you've been waiting quite a long time. Now go enjoy your summer!

Welcome to the Miller fam! I know you've been waiting quite a long time. Now go enjoy your summer!
I finish my final exams today. I'll panic about housing for about an hour, then I'll enjoy my summer :) Thank you so much!

Hello all,

I was accepted off the waitlist this morning:happy: (interviewed Feb. 26th). The office left a cryptic message at 9:20 AM Central, then I called back at about 12:15 PM, officially accepted the offer, and received an acceptance email 15 minutes later.

I've been lurking on here for a while - thanks to all the current students who kept us waitlisters going with bits of intel and encouragement.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi all,
Somewhat of a random question but I was trying to describe to a friend about Miller's student groups that we were informed about on the interview tour where the medical students are broken into different sects and the older students help the younger students with school related things and activities. I'm probably giving a poor explanation of what these groups are but if anyone here knows what they're called please let me know haha. Thanks in advance.

Hi all,
Somewhat of a random question but I was trying to describe to a friend about Miller's student groups that we were informed about on the interview tour where the medical students are broken into different sects and the older students help the younger students with school related things and activities. I'm probably giving a poor explanation of what these groups are but if anyone here knows what they're called please let me know haha. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you're talking about our Academic Societies.

Any word if there's been any movement in the last week? Does anyone know if there may still be more movement over the course of the next month?

I have a question for students starting this year: have you been able to set up/access an @med.miami.edu e-mail account? I'm not sure if we were supposed to do this when we got the CaneLink ID or if we do it later, ex. at orientation. Thank you!

I have a question for students starting this year: have you been able to set up/access an @med.miami.edu e-mail account? I'm not sure if we were supposed to do this when we got the CaneLink ID or if we do it later, ex. at orientation. Thank you!

I talked to canelink support a few days ago about this, as I couldn't figure out how to access my email. The guy checked and said it's because I'm still in the registrar's system as 'Applicant', and when they change me over to Student I'll be notified of how to get into my email. It may be the same with you.

(Now I just have to hope that's normal and not that my acceptance was a mistake :p )

For the secondary application under the sections where you list dates of experiences, are you expanding on any of them or just listing them?

For the secondary application under the sections where you list dates of experiences, are you expanding on any of them or just listing them?
Wrong thread, you should ask in the 2016-2017 one

hi everyone!

does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this secondary question:
"Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible."

I chose to talk about the MD/MPH program, location and research-is that specific enough?

Soooooo I turned down Miami back in April but I keep getting emails meant for med students...... Anyone else have this happening?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As an update for anyone applying next year and coming back to look in this past years thread:
Accepted July 22nd from the waitlist. Probably the last one in the Class of 2020.
Class starts tomorrow.

My advice if you find yourself in the same position: keep contacting the office of admissions with updates, LOIs, just emails saying you're checking in. Every other week is usually the right amount. You were good enough to get interviewed, just show them you want to go here. It is a great school.

Like Kevin Garnett....

9z66i.gif

Reactions: 2 users
As an update for anyone applying next year and coming back to look in this past years thread:
Accepted July 22nd from the waitlist. Probably the last one in the Class of 2020.
Class starts tomorrow.

Congrats :)!!! I love stories like yours. Good luck with starting anatomy!