2015-2016 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flintwire

I know Med-Fu.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2014-2015 Prompts (will update when new prompts are available if they're different)

(All limited to 500 words):

Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.

Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your clinical experiences/shadowing.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.

Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.

Please briefly discuss your research experience.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)

[OPTIONAL] Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

--------------------------------

This photo is from an event UMMSM hosts for College Students interested in applying to their medical school. It's the formula they use to score applicants:

img_4196-jpg.188145

As you can see, GPA, MCAT, and undergrad "prestige" are only 120/300 points. Your experiences, LORs, overcoming adversity, etc. are actually given more weight at 180/300 points! So don't skimp on elaborating about those experiences ;)

--------------------------------

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
My cousin goes to med school here, loves it. Adding it to my list.

Wish all schools showed templates like these!! Can't wait to apply!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matriculating here in August, let me know if you have any questions about the application process and I will try to answer as best I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wondering about M.D./Ph.D. and M.D. only application. If I apply to the M.D./Ph.D. will my application also be considered for the M.D. only application? e.g. will it be reviewed by both committees concurrently or will I have to wait for a decision from the M.D./Ph.D. committee before the M.D. only committee will look at my application?

Wondering about M.D./Ph.D. and M.D. only application. If I apply to the M.D./Ph.D. will my application also be considered for the M.D. only application? e.g. will it be reviewed by both committees concurrently or will I have to wait for a decision from the M.D./Ph.D. committee before the M.D. only committee will look at my application?
As per the website:
If you select to apply to both the MD and the MD-MPH, decisions regarding admission to each program are made independently and in no way is your status in one program affected by your status in the other program.
http://admissions.med.miami.edu/md-programs/md-mph-program/application-process

I know applicants who apply to both MD and MD/MPH are reviewed simultaneously by their respective committees, so I would assume MD and MD/PhD applicants are handled the same way. But I would call the office of admissions to double check.

@Flintwire they were asking about PhD not MPH.

Last edited:
I know applicants who apply to both MD and MD/MPH are reviewed simultaneously by their respective committees, so I would assume MD and MD/PhD applicants are handled the same way. But I would call the office of admissions to double check.

@Flintwire they were asking about PhD not MPH.
Whoops. That's what happens when I skim posts ... :). Thanks. Leaving it up for any MD/MPHers with the same question.

As per the correct website ;):
MD/PhD applicants are reviewed by the MD and the MD/PhD Program Admissions Committees. These evaluations proceed independently and a student will still be considered for the MD program, even if they are declined admission to the MD/PhD Program. A successful applicant is granted admission to both the MD Program and the MD/PhD Program.
http://mdphd.med.miami.edu/Admissions

To echo BioEng, call and double check.

@Flintwire and @BioEngMD Thanks for the input. I had looked at the website, but did not know if they had meant simultaneously as well as independently. Definitely going to call for clarification, and will post what their response is when I get it.

Ahh I'm really on the fence about applying MD/MPH here. I want to in theory, but I just I'm hesitant to take the plunge. Anyone have any insight on this?

Almost certain Miller will be on my list, I like both their commitment to fostering a community here as well as their residency placements. Also really nice how OOS applicants stand a chance haha

Reactions: 1 users
Also matriculating here in August. Feel free to ask any questions. As someone who got in off the waitlist, I can say that UM has very good waitlist movement, so don't be discouraged if you don't get accepted outright!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also matriculating here in August. Feel free to ask any questions. As someone who got in off the waitlist, I can say that UM has very good waitlist movement, so don't be discouraged if you don't get accepted outright!

Willing to give any general tips you felt helpful while applying to this school specifically?

Willing to give any general tips you felt helpful while applying to this school specifically?
1. Be thorough when filling out the secondary but don't fret if you can't fill out all the options. Like, I had no research so I couldn't say anything for that, but it ended up being fine in the end.
2. If you get to the interview stage, that's really good! Just be yourself on interview day and show that you're excited to be there. Don't forget to give specific reasons for wanting to attend UM.
3. UM accepts both pre- and post-interview update letters and letters of interest, so feel free to let them know if you do something new, like a new pub or activity.
4. Be patient. It's a long process. I didn't interview until January, and I didn't get in until 3 weeks ago. Don't put your life on hold this year while applying; be sure to keep living life (and doing your activities).

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone have some insight on what they include in "Life Experiences" and "Life Adversity" in the applicant scoring listed above?

Does anyone have some insight on what they include in "Life Experiences" and "Life Adversity" in the applicant scoring listed above?
My best guess is that they are looking for breadth and depth of work/activities on the primary and secondary and any claimed disadvantage on the application (SES or other).

Does this mean they only take science GPA into consideration and not cumulative?

Does this mean they only take science GPA into consideration and not cumulative?
No...if your cumulative is still trash, then that will still count against you. The admissions committee looks at everything.

1. Be thorough when filling out the secondary but don't fret if you can't fill out all the options. Like, I had no research so I couldn't say anything for that, but it ended up being fine in the end.
2. If you get to the interview stage, that's really good! Just be yourself on interview day and show that you're excited to be there. Don't forget to give specific reasons for wanting to attend UM.
3. UM accepts both pre- and post-interview update letters and letters of interest, so feel free to let them know if you do something new, like a new pub or activity.
4. Be patient. It's a long process. I didn't interview until January, and I didn't get in until 3 weeks ago. Don't put your life on hold this year while applying; be sure to keep living life (and doing your activities).

Congratulations on getting into UM! I wanted to ask something though, as I see that you didn't have research- was there another component of your application that you feel may have compensated for this?

I only ask because the the Dean of admissions came to my undergrad last year and had a presentation where they talked about 5 "boxes" and they only considered applicants who could check all five - one of them was research.

I only ask because the the Dean of admissions came to my undergrad last year and had a presentation where they talked about 5 "boxes" and they only considered applicants who could check all five - one of them was research.

Do you remember what the other four were?

Do you remember what the other four were?

I know with as much certainty as I can afford that research, shadowing, and service were three of them. Fairly certain a fourth was clinical experience.

The fifth may have been academics (like GPA/MCAT), but I honestly don't remember.

I called the admissions office last week and asked if no/limited research was an app killer. They said not for MD (MD/PhD yes), some students have it some don't, but they look at the big picture...so take that for what its worth I suppose. Can't imagine they would be honest enough to flat out tell someone not to apply but who knows.

Not having research is NOT an app killer...I'm proof of that.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed here last year and I absolutely loved the experience! Absolutely my dream school for this year's application cycle, fingers crossed that they give me another chance to come out and prove myself!

I know some schools automatically penalize those who have applied there before by moving them down until January/February for interviews. Anyone know if Miami does this? I certainly hope not.

Also, I want to apply to both MD and MD/MPH this year. Anyone know how I do this on AMCAS? Or is that something I do later on with UMMSOM with their secondary? I don't remember this from last year because I only applied MD/MPH last year

Last edited:
Interviewed here last year and I absolutely loved the experience! Absolutely my dream school for this year's application cycle, fingers crossed that they give me another chance to come out and prove myself!

I know some schools automatically penalize those who have applied there before by moving them down until January/February for interviews. Anyone know if Miami does this? I certainly hope not.

Also, I want to apply to both MD and MD/MPH this year. Anyone know how I do this on AMCAS? Or is that something I do later on with UMMSOM with their secondary? I don't remember this from last year because I only applied MD/MPH last year

Which schools penalize re-applicants? I didn't know about this……….

Which schools penalize re-applicants? I didn't know about this……….

I'm guessing this is hearsay....Although it might apply to rebound applicants who resubmit the same exact app.

@Ginred I was a successful reapplicant last cycle. I can't speak to Miami specifically because it was my first time applying here, but I didn't encounter any negative repercussions related to being a reapplicant at any of the schools that it was my second time applying to. Conversely, several schools mentioned that they gave reapplicants a slight boost because it showed continued commitment and dedication. I did have one state school where reapplicants were screened more thoroughly pre-interview just to make sure your application had improved, but I believe that was because they interviewed almost all first-time in-state applicants so they just wanted to make sure you were actually somewhat competitive before interviewing you a second time.

I think the biggest thing is to make sure that your application has significantly improved before reapplying. Showing that you took the time to thoughtfully review your application, identify weaknesses, and pursue opportunities that gave you more experience in those areas goes a long way in my opinion.

Finally, as far as applying MD and/or MD/MPH you make that selection on the secondary.

When you select both the MD and MD/MPH programs on the secondary, do you pay double the cost of the secondary?

IS app; went here for undergrad as well. Good luck everyone!

I know the max is 500 words but does it look poorly, if you only use say 250? Do you think they're looking to have you use every single word? lol. I don't want to run the risk of bullsh**ting just to reach max.

Got denied today pre-secondary 36/3.8 OOS reapplicant

I know the max is 500 words but does it look poorly, if you only use say 250? Do you think they're looking to have you use every single word? lol. I don't want to run the risk of bullsh**ting just to reach max.
Quality over quantity, or, to quote Jefferson: The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do.

As long as you've said something impactful in your 250 words, there's no reason to add filler just to reach a max word limit. As a matter of fact, doing that often ruins an otherwise good essay.

Having said that ... the most important writing tip I can give you is to "show, don't tell." You can say "I walked angrily out of the room," or you can say "I gritted my teeth and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind me." One example tells the reader you're mad. One SHOWS you're mad. Showing normally takes more words than telling.

I would advise you to go back through what you've written and see if you can use some of those extra 250 words to enhance your showing. (Don't go crazy though ;))

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Got denied today pre-secondary 36/3.8 OOS reapplicant

I believe the rejection that you received today was from last cycle. They are just now sending out rejections to people who didn't receive interview invites according to the 2014-2015 thread.

No, just answer honestly and "show, don't tell" like @Flintwire said above. It will not look poorly if you only use 250 words as long as those 250 words can convey something meaningful.

I believe the rejection that you received today was from last cycle. They are just now sending out rejections to people who didn't receive interview invites according to the 2014-2015 thread.

Oh you're right. Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better haha. Should probably read more carefully next time I guess.

I've received the same denial email from this school three times now in the same cycle. Apparently they really don't want me going there!

@Ginred I was a successful reapplicant last cycle. I can't speak to Miami specifically because it was my first time applying here, but I didn't encounter any negative repercussions related to being a reapplicant at any of the schools that it was my second time applying to. Conversely, several schools mentioned that they gave reapplicants a slight boost because it showed continued commitment and dedication. I did have one state school where reapplicants were screened more thoroughly pre-interview just to make sure your application had improved, but I believe that was because they interviewed almost all first-time in-state applicants so they just wanted to make sure you were actually somewhat competitive before interviewing you a second time.

I think the biggest thing is to make sure that your application has significantly improved before reapplying. Showing that you took the time to thoughtfully review your application, identify weaknesses, and pursue opportunities that gave you more experience in those areas goes a long way in my opinion.

Finally, as far as applying MD and/or MD/MPH you make that selection on the secondary.
Thanks man, I really appreciate the feedback. @tensticks , I don't recall where I read which schools scrutinize and penalize reapplicants- perhaps I just imagined it, or misunderstood something I read somewhere.

@Ginred Okay, thanks for letting me know. It would seem weird to me that a school would penalize re-applicants, unless they had the exact same application/test scores and didn't do anything to improve from the previous cycle. I know someone who's on their third cycle, and if anything, I can see his real commitment to this process and to medicine since he's improved his application every round.

There is one school, though not Miami that basically says they won't review third time applicants to there school. I think it might be Loyola. Still, good luck this cycle.

There is one school, though not Miami that basically says they won't review third time applicants to there school. I think it might be Loyola. Still, good luck this cycle.

That's standard practice for many schools, Harvard even mentions it on the AMCAS description.

That's standard practice for many schools, Harvard even mentions it on the AMCAS description.

That doesn't surprise me, I think there's a big difference between having to apply twice versus three times.

Just got the email saying they would tell me if I get a secondary shortly! It's finally starting!

Reactions: 6 users
I haven't got any emails yet. Should I be worried?!

Per their website, Miami sends out secondaries to nearly everyone who applies, barring applicants with an extremely low GPA or MCAT. Last year the first batch went out July 10th, so you all most likely have a few more weeks of waiting. Good luck!

@BioEngMD Thanks! I actually just got a confirmation that they received my primary, so all is well!

Hasn't been 5 minutes into the process and I'm already nervous :eek: