2015-2016 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting tidbit from Accepted Student Visit Day yesterday: there were 16,000 applications submitted to CMS this year and a 40% increase in secondaries completed as compared to last year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Interesting tidbit from Accepted Student Visit Day yesterday: there were 16,000 applications submitted to CMS this year and a 40% increase in secondaries completed as compared to last year

OMG! That is crazy. Regardless of outcome, that makes me feel honored to be on the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad :)

It doesn't help (?) that their secondary is so paltry. It was what, 150-200 words? As much as I appreciated its shortness, I feel that between the secondary and MMI they didn't really get a feel for who I am compared to other schools with extensive secondaries and traditional interviews.

Anyone know what the deal is with the 2 years of chemistry lab requirement? I have 1 year of Gen Chem lab because the lab was integrated with lecture, but my school did orgo differently in that the lab was standalone and we only did one semester despite taking 2 semesters of orgo lecture. Is anyone in the same situation, or did you all take 2 semesters of orgo lab?
My school is like that too but my standalone orgo lab was 2 credit hours. I think 1 hr = 1 semester.

It doesn't help (?) that their secondary is so paltry. It was what, 150-200 words? As much as I appreciated its shortness, I feel that between the secondary and MMI they didn't really get a feel for who I am compared to other schools with extensive secondaries and traditional interviews.

Meh. You wrote a personal statement, didn't you? Does that not give them enough feel?

Reactions: 1 user
Meh. You wrote a personal statement, didn't you? Does that not give them enough feel?

I think the MMI gives them more of what they want to know. What they want to know and what you think you want them to know may not be the same thing.

Has anyone received their financial aid letter yet? I was offered a merit scholarship a couple months ago via email, but that was before I even submitted my FAFSA. Not a peep since.

I think the MMI gives them more of what they want to know. What they want to know and what you think you want them to know may not be the same thing.
I would disagree given the fact that someone could memorize the answers to MMI questions that were found on SDN threads and the internet.

Just to confirm. Admissions doesn't accept update letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
The admissions office was not done processing withdrawals until today (I called because they had not processed my withdrawal email from early last week). So, I would expect some waitlist movement soon. Good luck you guys!

Reactions: 8 users
The admissions office was not done processing withdrawals until today (I called because they had not processed my withdrawal email from early last week). So, I would expect some waitlist movement soon. Good luck you guys!
Thanks for updating us with this info. Much appreciated.

Reactions: 4 users
Assuming Rosy operates like most other medical schools, when an acceptee drops their acceptance, the spot moves to someone with similar stats/demographics/background. Students most likely to recieve and accept an acceptance elsewhere are those with high stats, meaning my average stats (for the school's matriculants) basically give me a null chance. Wish they had never interviewed me in the first place for false hope, or at least rejected me post-II.

I have decided that I'm not cut out for medicine and end my journey here. Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those weathering it out.

Assuming Rosy operates like most other medical schools
They don't, as we all know.
Students most likely to recieve and accept an acceptance elsewhere are those with high stats
They have already deemed your stats acceptable by offering you an interview.
Wish they had never interviewed me in the first place for false hope, or at least rejected me post-II.
Do you really?
I have decided that I'm not cut out for medicine and end my journey here.
Then put your money where your mouth is and withdraw your application.

I believe very strongly that Rosalind Franklin will pull a healthy amount of people off the waitlist.

Lack of information and transparancy doesn't mean that they don't operate like other medical schools. Just by being offered an interview doesn't mean everyone is on the same playing field. As we know, even post-interview, the review process of applicants still looks at their entire application - including stats. To top it off, only a third of their class is traditional applicants, so the favoring of non-trads most likely means trads have to have stellar apps. And while I do appreciate the experience of the MMI and insight into the medical school process, I think I would have much preferred to not have had all the associated stress and uncertainty for the past year. Which leads to me to knowing why I'm not cut out for medicine, if I can barely handle this part, how can I be expected to be in charge of peoples' health?

I have also withdrawn my application, if that is any consolation. Best of luck to all!

Reactions: 1 users
Lack of information and transparancy doesn't mean that they don't operate like other medical schools. Just by being offered an interview doesn't mean everyone is on the same playing field. As we know, even post-interview, the review process of applicants still looks at their entire application - including stats. To top it off, only a third of their class is traditional applicants, so the favoring of non-trads most likely means trads have to have stellar apps. And while I do appreciate the experience of the MMI and insight into the medical school process, I think I would have much preferred to not have had all the associated stress and uncertainty for the past year. Which leads to me to knowing why I'm not cut out for medicine, if I can barely handle this part, how can I be expected to be in charge of peoples' health?

I have also withdrawn my application, if that is any consolation. Best of luck to all!
I do think they operate differently from other medical schools. They clearly waitlist a lot more people than most schools and pull a large percentage of their matriculants from the waitlist. Two of the students I talked to at the interview day got in off the waitlist, for example. Also, I'm not sure where you're getting these stats about a third of applicants being traditional. I simply don't think that's true!

But if you truly don't think you want to go into medicine, I respect that. Good luck with all your endeavors.

Last edited:
According to the MSAR, 30% of matriculants are 19-23. Assuming that those in this group matriculated straight out of undergrad, then Colossal's statement holds up.

Also, I don't know if you can say that they pull a large percentage of their class off the waitlist. We don't have any information regarding how many were accepted prior to the 2nd wave of interviews (after winter) or how many total have been accepted off the WL (this year or in previous cycles).

In regards to your plans Colossal, at least you found out sooner than later, I wish you all the luck!
I don't know anything about the waitlist for sure. All I will tell you is this: I personally know three people who interviewed here in the fall, and were put on the waitlist. Two were accepted a few weeks later and one was accepted a couple months later. I met people on the interview day accepted off the waitlist. The last time somebody posted on SDN that they received a direct acceptance was the very beginning of January. Literally every single acceptance posted here since then has been from the waitlist. Now is it possible that there is a huge group of people getting direct acceptances and none of them have posted it? Yes. Before everyone jumps on me, I yield that there is a distinct possibility I am completely wrong. However, I don't think I am.

This process is most certainly a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck in your endeavors. Be proud of what you accomplished.

Reactions: 2 users
Someone should call the admissions office and see if they have reviewed alternate applications and offered acceptances since traffic day ;) Lol I would but I'm in the middle of a practice MCAT (just in case you know lol...)

Someone should call the admissions office and see if they have reviewed alternate applications and offered acceptances since traffic day ;) Lol I would but I'm in the middle of a practice MCAT (just in case you know lol...)
I may but I don't want to alienate them and put my application at risk.

Okay I bit the bullet and called them. They were helpful! They do plan to take people off the waitlist but don't have a timeframe for it. It's unranked as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Okay I bit the bullet and called them. They were helpful! They do plan to take people off the waitlist but don't have a timeframe for it. It's unranked as well.

Thanks for calling!

That's great news!

Thanks for calling! That's good news for all of us on here still enduring the torturous waiting lol! Hopefully they come through for a lot of us! I for one would love to go here. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for calling! That's good news for all of us on here still enduring the torturous waiting lol! Hopefully they come through for a lot of us! I for one would love to go here. Fingers crossed!
You have no idea how badly I want to get that acceptance email.

Anyone know what unranked confers? I saw a post somewhere that backs up Colossal's statement.
He's probably correct...I would imagine that it means that the applications are continuously re-reviewed. They interviewed ~1000 people, rejected some amount of them, some amount of them withdrew, and some amount of them have committed to the class. The remainder of that, whatever the number may be, are competing for the spots that are left.

What time did you call them? I can never get a hold of them :(
Do you or anyone else who else got accepted please mind sharing your stats?
LizzyM 68, high GPA, lower MCAT. RFU doesn't mind average stats but I'm not sure what else they're looking for...

What time did you call them? I can never get a hold of them :(

LizzyM 68, high GPA, lower MCAT. RFU doesn't mind average stats but I'm not sure what else they're looking for...
This afternoon. The last time I contacted them was many months ago and they had to call me back, but today someone just picked up the phone and was great!

Oh, but in fact I do. Haha on that steady email checking grind like every 15 min lol...
Every time I see another person post here about how they got accepted but they're withdrawing their acceptance I die a little bit inside. It's like watching that one kid whose parents got him the toy you've always wanted except he just keeps it on the shelf all day and never plays with it. Give it to ME. I'll cherish it forever!

Reactions: 6 users
Random question, would it be odd to call and ask what we can improve on for our application for next cycle if we are on the alternate list? I don't want it to seem like I'm not interested anymore this year or anything :/

Random question, would it be odd to call and ask what we can improve on for our application for next cycle if we are on the alternate list? I don't want it to seem like I'm not interested anymore this year or anything :/
You could try! I don't think it would hurt if you're professional about it.

Rosalind Franklin, right about now would be a REALLY good time to accept me, in case you were wondering. I love you so dearly.

From what I've read from adcoms on SDN, it would be odd--although I don't fully understand why.

From what I've read from adcoms on SDN, it would be odd--although I don't fully understand why.
I think there's sometimes a hive mind situation with SDN. Like how anytime anybody asks about the efficacy of sending an LOI Goro responds with the exact same thing (How would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant?????????) even though two of the schools that I interviewed at specifically told me to send LOIs if interested. I think that if one were to call/email Rosalind Franklin and ask if they could discuss their application and how it could be improved, the worst they could say is no and it will make you look like a more serious and determined applicant.

I think there's sometimes a hive mind situation with SDN. Like how anytime anybody asks about the efficacy of sending an LOI Goro responds with the exact same thing (How would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant?????????) even though two of the schools that I interviewed at specifically told me to send LOIs if interested. I think that if one were to call/email Rosalind Franklin and ask if they could discuss their application and how it could be improved, the worst they could say is no and it will make you look like a more serious and determined applicant.

I agree. Putting myself in their shoes, that's how I would interpret it. I don't understand why so many advise against it.

Yeah that's why I was a bit concerned, because I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea but some posts on here made me hesitate. I think I'm still gonna do it, but maybe after my MCAT next week.

Yeah that's why I was a bit concerned, because I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea but some posts on here made me hesitate. I think I'm still gonna do it, but maybe after my MCAT next week.
Hopefully you get off the AL before then and don't have to take it

Hopefully you get off the AL before then and don't have to take it

That would be the dream honestly like between worrying about this AL thing, the MCAT, and reapplying, I've just been so drained :( Everyone here is on the same boat basically so I really hope some of us hears good news soon, if anything just so the rest of us know where we are.

That would be the dream honestly like between worrying about this AL thing, the MCAT, and reapplying, I've just been so drained :( Everyone here is on the same boat basically so I really hope some of us hears good news soon, if anything just so the rest of us know where we are.
Yeah you sound exactly like me except with the added stress of the MCAT. This year it seems like they tend to release a bunch of acceptances at a time so hopefully you'll get to celebrate with some of your Rosalind Franklin internet friends soon.

Yeah you sound exactly like me except with the added stress of the MCAT. This year it seems like they tend to release a bunch of acceptances at a time so hopefully you'll get to celebrate with some of your Rosalind Franklin internet friends soon.

What made you guys decide to re-apply right away and not wait a year?

What made you guys decide to re-apply right away and not wait a year?
There are many factors. First of all, my MCAT expires after this year so I feel like I might as well. I feel like there is no discernible deficiency in my application. My GPA is in the highest bracket, I have research with a publication, extensive volunteering in clinical and non-clinical environments, shadowing, etc. My MCAT is not good but according to the experts here, it's not bad enough to totally sink my application. The other thing is that I realized I don't have to go to an MD program to be happy. I've always wanted to be a pediatrician, and the DO route will get me there. People say I'm competitive for DO so if I apply broadly to low-mid tier DO schools next year I think I have a reasonable chance of getting in somewhere, without the bias against reapplicants.