2016-2017 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why did you choose to apply to the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science? Please limit your response to 100 words or fewer.

Optional: We encourage you to submit an optional diversity statement that specifically addresses how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science Community. This optional statement may be considered for admission and/or scholarship purposes. Please limit your response to 100 words or fewer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Shocked by the average debt on MSAR, but then saw their troubles with probation. Does anybody have a sense of what the debt/clinicals outlook is for the near future? Was thinking about applying here, but the average debt has me wondering if it might be just as well to leave it off.

If you look through the threads from last cycle, there were a number of people who said they received nice scholarships from here. Debt is a huge issue, but I would start by applying to places you would want to go. You may get a great scholarship package from an expensive school! If not, you can always attend a less expensive school and turn down the expensive ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you look through the threads from last cycle, there were a number of people who said they received nice scholarships from here. Debt is a huge issue, but I would start by applying to places you would want to go. You may get a great scholarship package from an expensive school! If not, you can always attend a less expensive school and turn down the expensive ones.
I agree. I keep catching myself being hindered by the cost of tuition at certain schools and wondering if I should even bother applying, but patchkitty is right, you never know which schools will offer you money and which won't. Best to apply to the schools you like and evaluate the cost once you have acceptances in hand rather than deny yourself the opportunity to go to a school that you enjoy. Worst case is you only get accepted to that one school with high tuition or high average debt, but if you have an acceptance in hand, would you pass it up to hope for better in the future or would you go to school? I'd be excited about that one acceptance and go to school, regardless of how much it's going to cost me. I agree, definitely keep finances in mind, but the time to evaluate that is when you have the opportunity to be selective. At this point in the game, we want to cast a wide net and hope we'll progress to where we can pick and choose later.

As someone who was placed on the interview waitlist last year, is this place worth applying to again this year?

As someone who was placed on the interview waitlist last year, is this place worth applying to again this year?
I think anywhere you want to go is worth applying to again. It would only show that you're dedicated to pursuing medicine. As long as you've continued to improve your application, I don't see what it would hurt to apply again.

100 word diversity statement :dead:

100 words? That seems too short to say anything really.

This post is already 15%

Any current students want to comment on any programs or benefits the school has to offer?

I'm not too sure if there's a specific program you're looking for but I'll list the more unique programs - in no particular order:

EM M3 Rotation - Not many schools have a required EM rotation, especially 3rd year. We get to rotate at Stroger Cook County or Mt Sinai - both lvl 1 trauma centers downtown in Chicago.

International Community Clinic - Anyone at any stage of training can become involved. The clinic is next door (walkable) and held throughout the year. It is completely student run meaning all the logistics and administrative work are setup and maintained by students (leadership opportunity 2nd year). Students are assigned into teams of 3 which can consist of med students + podiatry + nursing + pharm to take a history and present to an attending. You may also have the opportunity to do a physical exam depending on the attending. Afterwards, the team/attending comes up with a DDx + plan. Great way to get clinical experience in first year.

IHIG (International Health Interest Group) - During M1/M2 summer, there are opportunities to travel abroad. We have several partnerships with various hospitals. The length + cost varies with each trip. I believe the biggest trip is the China trip where everything is paid for except the flight. There's also an opportunity to get elective credit if you do a presentation.

Preceptorships/OSCEs - More clinical experience. Each student is assigned a preceptor in second year. You'll have to do a full history + physical + write up and present to peers afterwards. This is done 4 times throughout the year. Also, like other schools, there are also paid actors and OSCEs. There's no shortage of clinical exposure for the first two years.

Mentorships - There are a lot of mentor opportunities. As with anything, how much you utilize your mentors is up to you. Each M1 is assigned a M2 mentor. Additionally, each student is put into Houses consisting of around 50 students. Houses are led by a practicing community physician. You'll get together at least once a month to discuss physician-related issues or just relax (bowling, BBQs, other social events).

Intramurals/Clubs - Since we're an interprofessional school, we have many many graduate programs and therefore a large student population. There's no shortage of students that participate in extracurriculars, and you'll be able to meet students from different backgrounds. Off the top of my head, you can get involved in Flag Football, Basketball, Ping Pong tournaments, Rock Climbing, any specialty related interest group (Cardio, EM), volunteer opportunities (food drives, community service, teaching high school students, etc). There's so many unique clubs that you can get involved in and also the opportunity to create your own.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

Reactions: 13 users
2016 Match List

ANESTHESIOLOGY (10)

UCLA Medical Center
UC Irvine Med Ctr
U Southern California
Yale-New Haven Hosp
Yale-New Haven Hosp
Mayo School Of Grad Med Educ
SUNY HSC Brooklyn
Univ Of Chicago Med Ctr
U Southern California
U Minnesota Med School

CHILD NEUROLOGY (2)
Stony Brook Teach Hosps
U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor

EMERGENCY MEDICINE (21)
Washington Hospital Ctr/ Georgetown
U Arizona COM at Tucson
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctl
John Peter Smith Hosp
Western Michigan Univ Stryker SOM
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr
Advocate Christ Med Ctr
UC San Francisco-Fresno
Advocate Christ Med Ctr
St John Hospital
Jackson Memorial Hosp
Resurrection Med Ctr
Loma Linda University
Brooklyn Hosp Ctr
Cook County-Stroger Hospital
Morristown Mem Hosp
Texas Tech U Affil-El Paso
Denver Health Med Ctr

FAMILY MEDICINE (15)
Sutter Health
Ventura County Med Ctr
Case Western/UIIiv Hosps case Med Ctr
St. Loius University
Advocate IL Masonic Med Ctr
U Louisville SOM
Hinsdale Hospital
U Arizona COM
Oregon Health & Science Univ
O'Connor H ospital
Advocate Lutheran Gen Hosp
Chestnut Hill Hosp
Glendale Adventist Med Crr
Advocate IL Masonic Med Ctr

GENERAL SURGERY (8)
U Rochester/Strong Memorial
Morristown Mem Hosp
St Josephs Hospital
Kaweah Delta Health Care District
NY Methodist Hospital
UC San Francisco-Fresno
Atlanta Med Ctr
UIC/Metro Group Hospitals

INTERNAL MEDICINE (43)
Scripps Green Hospital
Cleveland Clinic Fdn
U Texas Rio Grande Valley
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr
Morehouse Sch of Med
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Med Ctr
Alameda Health Sys-Highland Hosp
U Southern California
MountainView Hospital
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Univ Miami/ JFK palm Beach
U Utah Affil Hospitals
U Colorado SOM-Denver
U Colorado SOM-Denver
U Illinois COM-Chicago
Rhode Island Hosp/ Brown Univ
Loyola Univ Med Ctr
Rush Ctr
Olive View – UCLA Med Ctr
U Southern California
U Illinois COM-Chicago
Rush University Mcd Ctr
U Utah Hospitals
U Colorado SOM-Denver
Icahn SOM Beth Israel
Baylor Coll Med-Houston
Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara
Univ Of Chicago Med Ctr
Christ Hospital
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr
U Iowa Hosps and Clinics
Rush University Mcd Ctr
U Nevada Affil Hosps-Las Vegas
U Southern California
U Illinois COM-Chicago
U Illinois COM-Chicago
B I Deaconess Med Ctr
Eisenhower Medical Center
U Connecticut School of Medicine
LSU HSC-Shreveport
U Colorado SOM-Denver
Rush University Med Ctr
U Southern California

MEDICINE-PEDIATRICS (2)
Case Western/Univ Hosps Case Med Ctr
Medical University of SC

NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY (4)
Thomas Jefferson Univ
University of Virginia
Henry Ford HSC
Emory Univ SOM

NEUROLOGY (9)
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL
Univ of Chicago Med CO-IL
Med Coll Wisconsin Affil Hosps
Loyola Univ Med Ctr
U Southern California
Montefiore Med Ctrl Einstein
Loyola Univ Med Ctr
Loyola Univ Med Ctr

OBSTETRICS-GYNECOLOGY (4)
Cleveland Clinic Fdn
Kaiser Permanente-Santa Clara
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Mercy Hosp & Med Ctr

OPTHALMOLOGY (3)
Baylor COM/Cullen Eye Institute
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med

ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY (4)
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ
Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
Marshall University SOM
U Cincinnati Med Ctr

PATHOLOGY (1)
Cleveland Clinic Fdn

PEDIATRICS (21)

Loyola Univ Med Ctr
U IL-St Francis Med Ctr
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp
Advocate Christ Med Ctr
Phoenix Childrens Hospital
Hospital-Oakland
Univ Med Ctr
Baylor Coli Med-Houston
Childrens Hospital LA
All Childrens Hospital
Loma Linda University
U Colorado SOM•Denver
U Michigan Hosps.Ann Arbor
U Minnesota Mcd School
Loma Linda University
Grand Rapids Med Partners
Case Western/ Univ Hosps Case Med Ctr
UC Irvine Med Ctr

PM&R (6)
Hosp Of the Univ Of PA
Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA
Northwestern McGaw / RIC-IL
U Texas HSC-San Antonio
University Hosps-Columbia
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN

PLASTIC SURGERY (1)
Lehigh Valley Hosp

PSYCHIATRY (11)
Montefiore Med Ctrl Einstein
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr
Jackson Memorial Hosp
RFUMS/Chicago Medical School
U Massachusetts Med School
RFUMS/Chicago Medical School
Rush University Med Ctr
U Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
Pine Rest Christian Mental Hlth Svcs
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med

RADIATION-ONCOLOGY (1)
Loyola Univ Med CO-IL

RADIOLOGY-DIAGNOSTIC (12)
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-IN
U Kentucky Med Ctr
Icahn SOM Beth Israel
Thomas Jefferson Univ
Henry Ford HSC
Rush University Med Ctr-lL
Hofstra NSLIJ SOM Lenox Hill Hosp
Rush University Med Ctr
Jackson Memorial Hosp
U Colorado SOM-Denver

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone provide any insight into the safety of North Chicago? I'm most interested in your personal perception rather than crime rates (if you feel comfortable walking around at night, etc.). I'm not from a very urban area and have never visited Chicago so I am not sure what to expect

Can anyone provide any insight into the safety of North Chicago? I'm most interested in your personal perception rather than crime rates (if you feel comfortable walking around at night, etc.). I'm not from a very urban area and have never visited Chicago so I am not sure what to expect

North Chicago is a suburb. It is about an hour from the city. You probably won't be doing any walking at night to get around. You'll most likely want a car or bum rides off a friend. Having said that, the Navy is across the street from the school. It is a very safe area.

There are rotations in downtown Chicago for 3rd year. As long as you exercise common sense and don't wander too far south, you'll be ok.

Secondary Received. Actually I received an email at 3:46, 3:47, AND 3:48. The same email three times. But nonetheless, secondary received.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow they must really love me I just received the secondary not once not twice but three times!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Why did you choose to apply to the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science? Please limit your response to 100 words or fewer.
Mission
To educate physicians to be leaders in an interprofessional environment, who are able to adapt, innovate and discover in an ever changing healthcare landscape.
Vision
Chicago Medical School graduates will be leaders in developing and delivering the health care of tomorrow.

We encourage you to submit an optional diversity statement that specifically addresses how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science Community. This optional statement may be considered for admission and/or scholarship purposes. Please limit your response to 100 words or fewer.
Diversity Statement
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science creates a pathway of excellence in education, service, scholarship and healthcare by embracing a community of people with a breadth of characteristics, experiences and accomplishments. Our diversity embodies the understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizes our individual differences. These differences include but are not limited to internal dimensions such as personality, race, age, gender, ethnicity, ability, sexuality, learning and thinking style; external dimensions such as geographical location, marital status, income level, educational background, work experience, religious and political beliefs; and organizational dimensions such as professional affiliation, organizational status and level of influence. Our University is committed to inclusion and thereby helping to create a well-trained, diverse health professions workforce committed to working with underserved and disadvantaged populations to reduce health disparities.

@WedgeDawg

Secondary received and submitted! Good luck y'all!

so do our chances go up if they ask for a secondary 3x? lol

is it ok to just use the abbreviation RFUMS in the essays without completely writing it out once? the word limit is brutal

Lmao was gonna ask the same question as above. The school name took up half the word count.

Anyways, submitted!

So I just noticed biochemistry is required upon receiving the secondary… The wording on their website confused me (biochemistry recommended under the required category), but that's my fault.

I'm in graduate school without room to really add more courses, but I could do an online course if I had to. I applied to 25 other schools. What would you recommend?

So I just noticed biochemistry is required upon receiving the secondary… The wording on their website confused me (biochemistry recommended under the required category), but that's my fault.

I'm in graduate school without room to really add more courses, but I could do an online course if I had to. I applied to 25 other schools. What would you recommend?

Call the admissions office and ask them. They'll be the quickest/easiest means of help.

is it too informal to just say "CMS at RFUMS"

I'm sure you'll be fine. They understand that their prompts are short and they'll know what those stand for. If you were abbreviating something they could potentially not understand, that'd be a different story, but I think in this case you'll be fine to do so.

Schools require completion of requirements before matriculation (not acceptance). MSAR reports that an online biochemistry course is acceptable, but I agree with shortney: call to make sure.

If I already completed all the courses for the section " Please specify which course(s), if any, you plan to complete in the 2016-2017 academic year. All prerequisite courses must be completed prior to the start of classes.Please check all that apply:" ...........Do I have to check any?

If I already completed all the courses for the section " Please specify which course(s), if any, you plan to complete in the 2016-2017 academic year. All prerequisite courses must be completed prior to the start of classes.Please check all that apply:" ...........Do I have to check any?
No

Hey guys!!! About the prerequisites,
I noticed on their website that 1 year of general chemistry and 1 year of organic chemistry is required (so 4 semesters). At my university, I took the Chemistry for the Bioscience sequence where we completed the general and organic chemistry lecture requirements in 3 semesters so that Biochemistry lecture can be taken in the 4th semester. Nonetheless, 2 semesters of general chemistry labs and 2 semester of organic chemistry labs were completed. Pre-health students were told to take this track. Since I took this track, I was wondering if this would be acceptable for the general and chemistry lecture prerequisites? Thank you!!!

Hey guys!!! About the prerequisites,
I noticed on their website that 1 year of general chemistry and 1 year of organic chemistry is required (so 4 semesters). At my university, I took the Chemistry for the Bioscience sequence where we completed the general and organic chemistry lecture requirements in 3 semesters so that Biochemistry lecture can be taken in the 4th semester. Nonetheless, 2 semesters of general chemistry labs and 2 semester of organic chemistry labs were completed. Pre-health students were told to take this track. Since I took this track, I was wondering if this would be acceptable for the general and chemistry lecture prerequisites? Thank you!!!

Call the admissions office and ask.

Personally, I would say yes, it will, but I'm not sitting on admissions committees either. They'll give you the most accurate answer, thus the most peace of mind.

Regarding the diversity statement, how should we approach it. Is it something most everyone is writing? I am a not a URM in any sense that I can think of (or listed). Does it have to be regarding a demographic or can I talk about a unique experience that many others may not have had - something I can contribute to the school?

Regarding the diversity statement, how should we approach it. Is it something most everyone is writing? I am a not a URM in any sense that I can think of (or listed). Does it have to be regarding a demographic or can I talk about a unique experience that many others may not have had - something I can contribute to the school?

I always see this question and I wonder why because as a URM I've yet to write about my race.

Diversity is way more than demographics. I talked about my upbringing and some perspective changing experiences. It's all about what you bring to the table.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I always see this question and I wonder why because as a URM I've yet to write about my race.

Diversity is way more than demographics. I talked about my upbringing and some perspective changing experiences. It's all about what you bring to the table.

Okay that is what I thought. I just wanted to make sure this just a general diversity essay and not an essay specifically asking about your URM status (as it is optional and talks about scholarships, etc).

Okay that is what I thought. I just wanted to make sure this just a general diversity essay and not an essay specifically asking about your URM status (as it is optional and talks about scholarships, etc).

Fair enough.

Well it's a space for you to shine. Say what makes you a unique sparkle .

100 words each? What is this, AMCAS??

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Mission
To educate physicians to be leaders in an interprofessional environment, who are able to adapt, innovate and discover in an ever changing healthcare landscape.
Vision
Chicago Medical School graduates will be leaders in developing and delivering the health care of tomorrow.

We encourage you to submit an optional diversity statement that specifically addresses how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science Community. This optional statement may be considered for admission and/or scholarship purposes. Please limit your response to 100 words or fewer.
Diversity Statement
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science creates a pathway of excellence in education, service, scholarship and healthcare by embracing a community of people with a breadth of characteristics, experiences and accomplishments. Our diversity embodies the understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizes our individual differences. These differences include but are not limited to internal dimensions such as personality, race, age, gender, ethnicity, ability, sexuality, learning and thinking style; external dimensions such as geographical location, marital status, income level, educational background, work experience, religious and political beliefs; and organizational dimensions such as professional affiliation, organizational status and level of influence. Our University is committed to inclusion and thereby helping to create a well-trained, diverse health professions workforce committed to working with underserved and disadvantaged populations to reduce health disparities.

@WedgeDawg
Can someone post the secondaries questions?

Thanks
Please see above.

Hey guys! Just wanted to make sure I am reading this right, so for the pre-req course checklist part, if we have already taken those courses then we would leave this section blank right? It's only for people who are taking those classes this year (16/17)?

Just felt weird leaving it blank haha

Hey guys! Just wanted to make sure I am reading this right, so for the pre-req course checklist part, if we have already taken those courses then we would leave this section blank right? It's only for people who are taking those classes this year (16/17)?

Just felt weird leaving it blank haha

I believe so, yes! Left mine blank :)

WOW 100 words is short. I don't know how to answer Why Rosy Frank in 100 words. So short! I struggle with the 1000 character ones, this is brutal.

WOW 100 words is short. I don't know how to answer Why Rosy Frank in 100 words. So short! I struggle with the 1000 character ones, this is brutal.

Already teaching you how to get to the point while you're dictating. I agree, it's rough!

Concise writing makes me sound way too confident