2016-2017 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anybody that went, how was second look?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For anybody that went, how was second look?
Accepted students day/second look was great. Met a lot of amazing people this last weekend that will hopefully be my future classmates! It had been a long time since I had been on campus, so it was great to be back there.

Reactions: 2 users
Do the interviewers for the MMI see your application at all, or do they solely rate you on your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the interviewers for the MMI see your application at all, or do they solely rate you on your interview?

The interviewers only rate you on how you do on their question, they do not have your application in front of them and they know nothing about you other than your name.

Same here, on the waitlist! interviewed 4/14

Reactions: 1 user
Are wait list candidates accepted/rejected only via monthly committee meeting or are there other paths to get accepted? I'm assuming the lucky few that had short times on wait lists were probably decided by full-time admissions staff?

Members don't see this ad :)
4/14 interview, WL email today. Hoping for some movement post April 30th!

I interviewed here on 4/14 but I haven't heard anything yet. Considering that people from that same interview group started getting the WL notifications today, is it probably safe to assume I got rejected? Or can anyone here personally attest to getting accepted even though other people in your same interview group found out before you did?

I interviewed here on 4/14 but I haven't heard anything yet. Considering that people from that same interview group started getting the WL notifications today, is it probably safe to assume I got rejected? Or can anyone here personally attest to getting accepted even though other people in your same interview group found out before you did?

No. Just wait.

Do we have any way of assessing how many are accepted off of the waitlist?

MSAR data conflicts with RFU website stats. Website says 47% IS for 2016; MSAR 70/190 = 37%. In mid-March someone counted 209 emails on a non-BCCed email for accepted students. Let's assume this is accurate for lack of better data. I'm speculating 0.55-0.75 yield for 190 seats, that's ~250-350 acceptances total. For the 4 remaining interview days with another 200 candidates, let's say they outright accept 20. They may reject 20% post-interview. So of the 550 or so total waitlist, they may offer 20-120 give or take. Alas, who knows? There's just too many factors at play. UIllinois oversubscribed last year, so they probably have less spots this year meaning more accepted IS may matriculate at RFU lowering WL acceptances from IS. Here's to hoping for the best and prepping for next year!

Last edited:
MSAR data conflicts with RFU website stats. Website says 47% IS for 2016; MSAR 70/190 = 37%. In mid-March someone counted 209 emails on a non-BCCed email for accepted students. Let's assume this is accurate for lack of better data. I'm speculating 0.55-0.75 yield in total for 190 seats, that's ~250-350 acceptances total. For the 4 remaining interview days with another 200 candidates, let's say they outright accept 20. They may reject 20% post-interview. So of the 550 or so total waitlist, they may offer 20-120 give or take. Alas, who knows? There's just too many factors at play. UIllinois oversubscribed last year, so they probably have less spots this year meaning more accepted IS may matriculate at RFU lowering WL acceptances from IS. Here's to hoping for the best and prepping for next year!

An estimate of 550 on the WL?? They only interviewed 600 last year... that's what they told us during the Q&A portion of interview day at least.

An estimate of 550 on the WL?? They only interviewed 600 last year... that's what they told us during the Q&A portion of interview day at least.

MSAR says they interviewed 970 last year and 600 in 2014-15. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they switched to MMIs last year to accommodate more IIs. Dunno why MSAR would be so off this year but it seems they interview ~50 per interview day (morning+afternoon). 600 would mean only 12 interview days total. During my Q&A they mentioned for every II, they have to reject 11-12 candidates. Given some months had three interview days, it seems more likely they have 20 interview days over the whole cycle Sept-April averaging 2.5 days/month.

MSAR data conflicts with RFU website stats. Website says 47% IS for 2016; MSAR 70/190 = 37%. In mid-March someone counted 209 emails on a non-BCCed email for accepted students. Let's assume this is accurate for lack of better data. I'm speculating 0.55-0.75 yield in total for 190 seats, that's ~250-350 acceptances total. For the 4 remaining interview days with another 200 candidates, let's say they outright accept 20. They may reject 20% post-interview. So of the 550 or so total waitlist, they may offer 20-120 give or take. Alas, who knows? There's just too many factors at play. UIllinois oversubscribed last year, so they probably have less spots this year meaning more accepted IS may matriculate at RFU lowering WL acceptances from IS. Here's to hoping for the best and prepping for next year!

I haven't seen any outright acceptances on this website, at least, since December. Do we know if they have accepted anyone recently? I have seen a lot of rejections/waitlists, but no acceptances. I feel like if there had been any (or at least a decent number), we would have seen at least one or two. I would be more likely to post about an acceptance than a waitlist/rejection. Also, how are you estimating the 20% rejections post interview? Maybe I'm wrong (or just hopeful) but I expected it to be more than that.

(EDIT: I am clearly very hopeful about getting off the waitlist, but I am also a realist, I have a plan B, C, D, E and F for next year)

I haven't seen any outright acceptances on this website, at least, since December. Do we know if they have accepted anyone recently? I have seen a lot of rejections/waitlists, but no acceptances. I feel like if there had been any (or at least a decent number), we would have seen at least one or two. I would be more likely to post about an acceptance than a waitlist/rejection. Also, how are you estimating the 20% rejections post interview? Maybe I'm wrong (or just hopeful) but I expected it to be more than that.

(EDIT: I am clearly very hopeful about getting off the waitlist, but I am also a realist, I have a plan B, C, D, E and F for next year)

Random SDN sampling since January. Don't have much other data to go on unless wanting to filter through other years' threads. I imagine RFU is rather liberal with adding to their WL.

Sorry for causing all the speculation, but at the same time thank you so much for helping me!

Just gave up my spot here for an IS school. Hope it goes to one of you here. Best wishes, everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
For anyone still undecided, feel free to message me - I'm an M1. :) Or you can post on the 2021 group and I'll find you. :p

Withdrew, Good Luck guys, hope one of you get my spot.

Reactions: 4 users
Any guidance at all would be awesome on how to figure it out if that's the case!
Check the 2017-2018 accepted students facebook page. Those who joined are most likely planning to attend. Not entirely accurate but pretty close.

Check the 2017-2018 accepted students facebook page. Those who joined are most likely planning to attend. Not entirely accurate but pretty close.
Meh I wouldn't rely on numbers from the FB group for determining # of spots like, at all.
First, they added a bunch of current M1s/ M2s to the group to answer questions so those all need to be discounted.
Second, not all accepted students are going to bother joining the group (they may not even have a FB in some cases.)
Third, I certainly wouldn't count on the people in the group for sure being certain they are attending RFU. Many who I've talked to have 1 or more WLs to other school that they will take if given the opportunity.

It's just baseless speculation to look at the numbers of the FB group IMO. People waiting just have to stay patient and try to think about something else.

Reactions: 3 users
Meh I wouldn't rely on numbers from the FB group for determining # of spots like, at all.
First, they added a bunch of current M1s/ M2s to the group to answer questions so those all need to be discounted.
Second, not all accepted students are going to bother joining the group (they may not even have a FB in some cases.)
Third, I certainly wouldn't count on the people in the group for sure being certain they are attending RFU. Many who I've talked to have 1 or more WLs to other school that they will take if given the opportunity.

It's just baseless speculation to look at the numbers of the FB group IMO. People waiting just have to stay patient and try to think about something else.

For some reason, this really comforted me. Thanks for the head check, gonna go think about something else now. haha

Thanks! I didn't know those details! Strangely enough, all the points you made actually make the number in the FB group significantly less baseless!

I don't know how many people would choose not to join the FB group or don't have FB or perhaps don't know about the group but I would guess they are few and far between (a cultural guess). If there is a part of the group that is M1 and M2 and another set in that group currently who do not plan to attend, then it is most likely that there are fewer number of people currently planning to attend as Class of 2021 than there are members in that FB group unless I am severely underestimating the number of people that were accepted but chose not to join the FB group, have FB, or don't know.

It may not be the full picture but I don't think it's baseless either.

Thanks! I didn't know those details! Strangely enough, all the points you made actually make the number in the FB group significantly less baseless!

I don't know how many people would choose not to join the FB group or don't have FB or perhaps don't know about the group but I would guess they are few and far between (a cultural guess). If there is a part of the group that is M1 and M2 and another set in that group currently who do not plan to attend, then it is most likely that there are fewer number of people currently planning to attend as Class of 2021 than there are members in that FB group unless I am severely underestimating the number of people that were accepted but chose not to join the FB group, have FB, or don't know.

Here's the thing: you don't know. All of these speculations are baseless. If you're on the waitlist, just wait. Prepare your backup plan and hope for the best if you're not accepted to Med school yet.

Large dogs

Reactions: 6 users
Called admissions and was told that by next week those of us still under review (pre-II) should get an email notification about our status.
I haven't heard anything since my completion email at the end of September -_-

Silence from my end, too. Guess the person on the phone lied

OR . . . You're asking the most junior person in the hierarchy who has no power over the decisions and is literally the most vulnerable person in the organization who has been repeatedly told by higher level administrators to give you a specific answer because they don't want you calling a million times because when they tell you "I don't know" you start to hate our school for not giving you a concrete answer and then go on to SDN to bash, once again, the most junior and vulnerable person in the organization who is forced to answer the phone when you call to ask about your admissions status.

Or, sure, maybe they just lied. But it might be nice to stick up for the little guy for once.

Reactions: 3 users
OR . . . You're asking the most junior person in the hierarchy who has no power over the decisions and is literally the most vulnerable person in the organization who has been repeatedly told by higher level administrators to give you a specific answer because they don't want you calling a million times because when they tell you "I don't know" you start to hate our school for not giving you a concrete answer and then go on to SDN to bash, once again, the most junior and vulnerable person in the organization who is forced to answer the phone when you call to ask about your admissions status.

Or, sure, maybe they just lied. But it might be nice to stick up for the little guy for once.

Their anger isn't invalid, it's just directed at the wrong people. They should be mad at the AdCom, not the admissions rep. It's the AdCom that tells the reps to tell the students about the 8-10 week rule and then takes forever doing their job.

Last edited:

I'm accepted, will attend, do know about the FB group, and don't have FB. So there's at least 1.

Their anger isn't invalid, it's just directed at the wrong people. They should be mad at the AdCom, not the admissions rep. It's the AdCom that tells the reps to tell the students about the 8-10 week rule and then takes forever doing their job.

To clarify, I never said nor meant to imply that that particular poster's anger was invalid.

I'm accepted, will attend, do know about the FB group, and don't have FB. So there's at least 1.

You should honestly consider making a FB account for school. Most people share resources/news in the FB group and not necessarily via mass email.

You should honestly consider making a FB account for school. Most people share resources/news in the FB group and not necessarily via mass email.
Yeah, I know. I'm thinking about it, but I've also been allergic to social media for the last 15+ years, so I'm not in any rush to jump on that bandwagon.

Anyone still waiting on a decision? Interviewed end of March and still nothing

What's the deal with financial aid packages? I filled out the app for it forever ago and never heard anything back. Should I call? I recently received another acceptance with a scholarship so I'd really like to get a solid confirmation of my cost for RFU