2016-2017 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on the recent IIs! When did you all receive your complete email?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you!
I was complete in early July. I didn't hear anything until October. There was additional email between that time and today's II!

Awesome! If you don't mind me asking, what was the additional email between your complete email and your II email??(*'▽'*)

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here! Do we know if we are interviewing for the waitlist or are we interviewing for seats?

Did you select this Friday? If so, I look forward to meeting you!

Negative. I have already been accepted to my alma mater. I live in the south and will not be able to schedule transport ( at least an 8 hour drive) and make it to Rosalind Franklin by this Friday. I am going to rescind the interview offer so that one of you all may have a shot at acceptance. I wish you all the best of success in your medical careers. :nod::clap:

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected about an hour ago, pre-II. Good luck to everyone!

Called today for a status update and they said II's will go out until the end of April. I'll just be waiting for one like:corny:

Reactions: 7 users
Awesome! If you don't mind me asking, what was the additional email between your complete email and your II email??(*'▽'*)

Hey I just checked and received this on January 30th:

"Dear Applicant:

Thank you again for your application to the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFUMS). This is a courtesy notification to make you aware that a holistic evaluation of your file was completed by our Admissions Committee however your application is being held for further review prior to any decisions being made. Although we believe your credentials demonstrate strong academic potential it is still being held for further review.

We receive many qualified applications every year and will continue to make decisions regarding the next step in the process for any students in this review status on an continuous basis. Thus, we appreciate your patience as our committee continues to consider your application for further review.

We will keep you abreast of your status and any further review with the Chicago Medical School at RFUMS throughout the application cycle.

We look forward to assisting you as you pursue your goals so please feel free to contact my team in the Office of Admissions and Enrollment if you have questions or concerns at..."

Reactions: 1 user
Same here! Do we know if we are interviewing for the waitlist or are we interviewing for seats?

Did you select this Friday? If so, I look forward to meeting you!

There is no such thing as interviewing for the waitlist at this school.

Large dogs

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no such thing as interviewing for the waitlist at this school.

Thanks so much!! This is awesome to hear. This is far and away my dream school, and I can't wait to have the opportunity to interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Called admissions and was told that by next week those of us still under review (pre-II) should get an email notification about our status.

I haven't posted on the FB page yet since I haven't gotten an apartment assignment yet but if any incoming male students might be interested in living in one of the 2 bedroom apartments in Woodlands PM me! Most notable thing is I have a small dog that will be living with me so obviously if you don't like dogs then you should probably look elsewhere:laugh:

I haven't posted on the FB page yet since I haven't gotten an apartment assignment yet but if any incoming male students might be interested in living in one of the 2 bedroom apartments in Woodlands PM me! Most notable thing is I have a small dog that will be living with me so obviously if you don't like dogs then you should probably look elsewhere:laugh:

Guess you can't live with tantacles... he likes large dogs

Reactions: 5 users
Almost 6 weeks and counting post interview with no word...this cycle has been weird, I still haven't heard from 3 post interview decisions...I want to know where my wife and I are going to be living in 3.5 months, but nooooooo, everything has to be as drawn out as possible. Anyone from 3/3 hear back?

You should post anyway. :p

Called admissions and was told that by next week those of us still under review (pre-II) should get an email notification about our status.
Thanks for this helpful tidbit of information! I am still under review pre-II and did not receive any emails (i.e. like the one @NUresearcher posted) since my completion email at the end of September. Hopefully those of us remaining will hear some positive news soon!:xf:

Withdrawing my acceptance here. Hopefully it goes to one of you lovely people! Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone heard anything from the waitlist so far?

I am also waiting... from what's happened on SDN, I don't think anyone has been accepted since December or early January... I've seen plenty of waitlists and rejections but no acceptances. Hopefully decisions are coming up soon?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I am also waiting... from what's happened on SDN, I don't think anyone has been accepted since December or early January... I've seen plenty of waitlists and rejections but no acceptances. Hopefully decisions are coming up soon?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm just making a guess here. Another round of acceptances will probably come after the April 30th deadline.

Just withdrew my app today. Good luck to anyone on the WL!

Reactions: 5 users
I have some questions for any current students that would be willing to help out.

How are most people approaching studying for classes/ Step 1 in general? Do you think classes are generally geared towards what you'll need to know for Step, or do you have some PHD profs that just want to teach some minutia that they're into? How much time do you get for dedicated step 1?

Do people find it effective to study for classes by using USMLE study material?

Just received interview invitation today! Is it real? :confused: Sound like the school is trolling me. lol

I just got II as well i thought i was done interviewing im pretty pumped doe i was rly hoping for here :D

Reactions: 6 users
I feel like the acceptance/rejection/waitlist front has been very quiet for a long time now, I guess they are waiting until after the 30th?

I thought my II was a joke, still hasn't set in... Anyone out there have any tips? Also recommendations for hotel/travel related things? I'm also assuming the 4/28 interviews are for the WL?

I thought my II was a joke, still hasn't set in... Anyone out there have any tips? Also recommendations for hotel/travel related things? I'm also assuming the 4/28 interviews are for the WL?

Interviews are for spots. You can get in at anytime

Reactions: 3 users
I have some questions for any current students that would be willing to help out.

How are most people approaching studying for classes/ Step 1 in general? Do you think classes are generally geared towards what you'll need to know for Step, or do you have some PHD profs that just want to teach some minutia that they're into? How much time do you get for dedicated step 1?

Do people find it effective to study for classes by using USMLE study material?

Depending on the class, there are some that teach more to the boards and some that teach random little facts (although I did have some minutia show up on my board exam that I wouldn't have known otherwise). Generally you'll want to do well in classes. Supplement second year with pathoma, first aid, sketchy, firecracker, and UWorld. During M2 year, classes end early May with some NBME exams scheduled until the middle of May. You have until clerkships begin to take STEP1, which I think is early Julyish. If you take STEP1 early, you get a long break.

Depending on the class, there are some that teach more to the boards and some that teach random little facts (although I did have some minutia show up on my board exam that I wouldn't have known otherwise). Generally you'll want to do well in classes. Supplement second year with pathoma, first aid, sketchy, firecracker, and UWorld. During M2 year, classes end early May with some NBME exams scheduled until the middle of May. You have until clerkships begin to take STEP1, which I think is early Julyish. If you take STEP1 early, you get a long break.
So it seems like we have like 6-7 weeks of dedicated study time or what? I've heard conflicting numbers. Is it also true that classwork tapers down towards the end?

So it seems like we have like 6-7 weeks of dedicated study time or what? I've heard conflicting numbers. Is it also true that classwork tapers down towards the end?

I just looked at the M2 calendar. This year, their last lecture is May 3rd, their last NBME exam is on May 15th. Clerkships start 1st week of July. However, there is a 1 week clinical skills training prior to the start of clerkships for things like suturing and physical exam stuff. Depending on which week you're assigned, its either 1 week directly before or 2 weeks before.

Classes taper down in January. Towards March/April, there may only be a few lectures per week.

I just looked at the M2 calendar. This year, their last lecture is May 3rd, their last NBME exam is on May 15th. Clerkships start 1st week of July. However, there is a 1 week clinical skills training prior to the start of clerkships for things like suturing and physical exam stuff. Depending on which week you're assigned, its either 1 week directly before or 2 weeks before.

Classes taper down in January. Towards March/April, there may only be a few lectures per week.
So 5 weeks dedicated?

Received an II yesterday after applying in July. Way too late for me to even consider attending. Heading to a different Chicago school instead.

Where did you find this calendar? I've been trying to find the M1 calendar but I can't. Could you post the link?

Where did you find this calendar? I've been trying to find the M1 calendar but I can't. Could you post the link?

The school will e-mail out the M1 calendar sometime during the summer. If you're looking for prior year calendars, PM me.

As someone else said, with this specific school you can be outright accepted at anytime, they do not interview people specifically for the wait list.

As far as hotels in the area, I stayed at the courtyard Marriott in Waukegan. The information is on the interview info link that you should've gotten from the school. You get a discount by booking online with the RFU code, it's a very nice hotel, it includes a voucher for a free breakfast the morning of your interview, it has a shuttle to and from the campus (just make sure you ask to reserve it when you check in), and there's a whole bunch of restaurants and a Walmart right across the street in case you forget to pack anything.

Is anyone still being currently reviewed and has not received an II yet?

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrew my acceptance here! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!