2015-2016 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Probably. From the stupid low "odds" that is med school admissions to begin with at any given school, though?

But I can't even say that for sure. They already bucked what I thought would happen and accepted people off the waitlist that had acceptances elsewhere. And I thought that thought o'mine was a pretty solid assumption.

So, who the heck knows? I'm just prepared to ride this thing out 'til August if need be, while preparing for the next year or 2 if I don't get in.
That theory relies upon the assumption that they view a higher yield as a benefit that offsets the cost of accepting less desirable applicants. Like all things, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Say they score all the applications on a scale of 1-100. Applicant A scored a 90 and also has an acceptance to Johns Hopkins. Applicant B scored a 90 and also has an acceptance to Loyola. Applicant C scored an 80 and has no acceptances. Obviously, in a perfect world they would want applicants A and B. But being rational people, they realize that there's no way A will ever come. They think that B might come, but is he good enough to risk a possible wasted acceptance? That would probably depend on all sorts of extraneous variables, like how badly they need a certain demographic. They know that C will definitely come, but they don't like him as much. They also know that he has no leverage and that they can just accept him whenever if they need to.

Might they offer more waitlist acceptances in the next week or so? We don't know. I think the distribution of interview dates is a little strange, but that is from a sample size of like 10. I really hope that they give out more acceptances, but we just don't know how any of this works, and for those of us without acceptances we just need to keep working on our application for next year. The limbo is horrible but last fall before I had any interviews I would've given anything to be waitlisted at such a fine institution. Best of luck to all!

By the way, what do you call someone who gets accepted the day before class starts? A medical student.

Reactions: 3 users
Would you consider rosalind franklin harder or easier to get into compared to like rushi uic and loyola?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed 3/11 and was wait listed 4/4. Nothing more yet, but all these acceptances are making me a little more nervous!

Would you consider rosalind franklin harder or easier to get into compared to like rushi uic and loyola?
It's hard to compare the difficulty per se because UIC is public and thus has a huge bias towards IL residents, and Rush has a very specific culture, and they look for people that have demonstrated considerable community service. I think its difficulty of acceptance is basically on par with all of them in terms of stats, but unless I am grossly misinformed my understanding is that people would choose any of those three schools over Rosalind (no disrespect whatsoever).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to compare the difficulty per se because UIC is public and thus has a huge bias towards IL residents, and Rush has a very specific culture, and they look for people that have demonstrated considerably community service. I think its difficulty of acceptance is basically on par with all of them in terms of stats, but unless I am grossly misinformed my understanding is that people would choose any of those three schools over Rosalind (no disrespect whatsoever).
I agree with @bananafish. In terms of desirability and tier, those three schools are ranked higher than Rosalind, not to mention the advantage of in-state tuition with UIC for IL residents. Rosalind does have a much higher number of applicants annually than those other programs, and as such, will have the lowest matriculants/applicants ratio. For those of us who live in or near the Chicago area, we are lucky to have so many great programs within the vicinity to apply to.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
That's true. But i mean rosalind is still an awesome school. I'd definitely take that acceptance and run with it if i am lucky enough...

I agree with @bananafish. In terms of desirability and tier, those three schools are ranked higher than Rosalind, not to mention the advantage of in-state tuition with UIC for IL residents. Rosalind does have a much higher number of applicants annually than those other programs, and as such, will have the lowest matriculants/applicants ratio. For those of us who live in or near the Chicago area, we are lucky to have so many great programs within the vicinity to apply to.

Reactions: 4 users
That's true. But i mean rosalind is still an awesome school. I'd definitely take that acceptance and run with it if i am lucky enough...

that's true. if you take a look at our match list this year, it is as competitive or more competitive than those schools.

Oh honey, if I get into Rosalind Franklin I'm getting their school seal tattooed on my chest.

Reactions: 7 users
Oh honey, if I get into Rosalind Franklin I'm getting their school seal tattooed on my chest.

Why not the arms? Or the face Mike Tyson style? Automatic med school street cred.

What are the remaining interview dates?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone going to the second look on April 29th? Kinda bummed its so close to traffic day..

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
MSAR data is for last year's cycle right? A post made it seem it's this cycle's data, being updated as we go.
As far as I can tell, it hasn't been updated since it's been released (at least for the schools I look at) so I'm pretty confident it's from last year.

Although the class is most nearly full, would those accepted off the WL mind sharing their LizzyM, to get a sense of what they were looking for?

I'm not necessarily sure that is useful information at this point.

Although the class is most nearly full, would those accepted off the WL mind sharing their LizzyM, to get a sense of what they were looking for?
And you know that the class is most nearly full based on what?

Anyone going to the second look on April 29th? Kinda bummed its so close to traffic day..
i wanted to go but id rather not fly out... especially since i'm still waiting to hear from 2 other schools. alas. Do you know if we can fill out the financial aid forms already asides from FAFSA? I didn't see it on the financial aid website but maybe i'm just blind.

Withdrew my acceptance today! Hope it goes to one of you guys!

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew my acceptance today! Hope it goes to one of you guys!
I'm sure that many of the regulars on this forum topic appreciate this. Congratulations and good luck to wherever you'll be matriculating this upcoming fall!

Will be withdrawing my acceptance as well. Good luck!

Accepted students- has anyone gotten info on our student emails, IDs, etc?

Last edited:
If any of you are looking to moving down here in the summer to do research or whatnot, I'm looking for a subletter from June 15th-July 31st (negotiable time frame). This is for a 3bd, 2.5 bath house located in Navy Housing, Forrestal Village (located directly across from RFUMS: 10 min walk, 2 min drive). We currently have 1 female roommate (sharing a bathroom with the potential subletter) and 1 male roommate (has a room with an attached bathroom). The open room is $400/month + utilities = ~$450 per month (seriously the cheapest rent you will find). The room fits a queen sized bed comfortably and you'd be sharing a 2nd full bath with the female roommate.
I'm also looking to sell my 1 yr old IKEA queen sized bed and frame so if you also wanted to purchase that, you'd avoid yourself a lot of hassle. You can check out the area on the website. Our house is pretty similar to these photos: http://www.navygreatlakesfamilyhousing.com/great-lakes/forrestal-village/photos/ Send me a message if you're interested in subletting and I can send you actual photos of the room and house.

Anyone from the 4/8 interview group hear any news yet?

It was a 7 week wait for my interview day. You probably have another month+ to go. I know, the waiting takes years off your life.

Ughh... I've got an interview tomorrow. So nervous! I hope they are still really accepting people. I know there is a confidentiality agreement, but any advice on things to bring [notebook, bag] ?