2015-2016 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are many factors. First of all, my MCAT expires after this year so I feel like I might as well. I feel like there is no discernible deficiency in my application. My GPA is in the highest bracket, I have research with a publication, extensive volunteering in clinical and non-clinical environments, shadowing, etc. My MCAT is not good but according to the experts here, it's not bad enough to totally sink my application. The other thing is that I realized I don't have to go to an MD program to be happy. I've always wanted to be a pediatrician, and the DO route will get me there. People say I'm competitive for DO so if I apply broadly to low-mid tier DO schools next year I think I have a reasonable chance of getting in somewhere, without the bias against reapplicants.

Your MCAT is a 31, right? A 31 is great for getting into many of the programs to which you applied! That's what, above 80th percentile? Several schools have EDP programs with a minimum MCAT of 30 and accept applicants based on that MCAT to fill a third of their class. That's good enough for them. Based on purely stats alone, if you were put into a room of 100 people, your MCAT score is better than at least EIGHTY people in that room. I know this process is getting to you, but it's not your MCAT that's holding you back.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is a 31, right? A 31 is great for getting into many of the programs to which you applied! That's what, above 80th percentile? Several schools have EDP programs with a minimum MCAT of 30 and accept applicants based on that MCAT to fill a third of their class. That's good enough for them. Based on purely stats alone, if you were put into a room of 100 people, your MCAT score is better than at least EIGHTY people in that room. I know this process is getting to you, but it's not your MCAT that's holding you back.
Well that's very kind of you, but we all know that we're not competing against people with MCATs below the 75-8oth percentile. There are very few MD programs that will even look at your application if you have below a 30. I know that the MCAT isn't the only thing against me though. I intend to look into early decision programs, but they seem excoriated on SDN because it forces you to apply late to the rest of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
According to one of the WL threads, gyngyn said there's been recent movement at SIU, NYMC, etc., which would be poaching around the sme type of student. If Rosalind is still filling its class, I predict at least another 1-2 weeks before WL movement.
Do you think they're waiting until they get a clear view of where their current acceptees are going before they take any action?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received their financial aid letter yet? I was offered a merit scholarship a couple months ago via email, but that was before I even submitted my FAFSA. Not a peep since.

I think that we will get the federal and need based awards sometime in late June or July if I am remembering the financial aid seminar correctly. Most schools try to wait for need based to make sure that they don't give aid to someone who might withdraw and go somewhere else. And the federal aid doesn't even get sent out until the second week of school anyway (Aug 15th I think?), so the gov probably hasn't even looked at our applications yet. All which intensely bothers me, because I have no idea where to put my housing budget.
Also, congrats on the merit scholarship!

They sent out rejection letters to all those remaining on the pre-II waitlist today. So they must have met up at least to do that. Who knows if they are discussing the WL or not. Just thought I'd fuel the fire of speculation. Burn baby burn.

They sent out rejection letters to all those remaining on the pre-II waitlist today. So they must have met up at least to do that. Who knows if they are discussing the WL or not. Just thought I'd fuel the fire of speculation. Burn baby burn.
Oh dear. How do you know?

Might as well add to this so you all can join in on my increased stress levels over the next two weeks or so lol. I called the administration office last Friday afternoon and she said the admissions committee only meets once a month to review apps and make decisions. Apparently they haven't met yet this month, though she did not specify when they would be meeting. I'm guessing that means some wait-listers will find out some news either this week or next week. Fingers crossed that I make it into that lucky group with some of you!!:xf::)

Reactions: 2 users
Might as well add to this so you all can join in on my increased stress levels over the next two weeks or so lol. I called the administration office last Friday afternoon and she said the admissions committee only meets once a month to review apps and make decisions. Apparently they haven't met yet this month, though she did not specify when they would be meeting. I'm guessing that means some wait-listers will find out some news either this week or next week. Fingers crossed that I make it into that lucky group with some of you!!:xf::)

Thanks for the info! Praying for a miracle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hi everyone,

I was accepted off the waitlist this morning. Interviewed 4/1, waitlisted 4/26. First acceptance. So thrilled. Good luck to the rest of you!
Seriously, congrats and thanks for letting us know. It is good to know that I am done. I can finally stop checking my email every hour.

Hi everyone,

I was accepted off the waitlist this morning. Interviewed 4/1, waitlisted 4/26. First acceptance. So thrilled. Good luck to the rest of you!
Do you mind providing us with your stats/extra curriculars/background? Just out of curiosity of what they were looking for. Also was it via call or email?

Looks like that's a wrap for me. Good luck to all, the support and fun in this thread was awesome.

Hey guys,

Congrats to those who have been accepted so far! For those of you looking for housing and will be in the area over summer, I have a 2bed/1bath apartment available at the Woodlands starting May 24 up until July 31 with the option to renew the lease (if you renew the lease, you won't have to be put on the waitlist for a unit). It's a phase 2 apartment 1010 sq ft. The apartment is spacious with lots of storage space. One of the bedrooms has a walk in closet. Double sinks in the bathroom. It's on the 3rd floor right in front of the pool (you can see it from the balcony). 3-5 minute walk to campus. Laundry room is in the same building.
Rent is $1301/month. You won't be responsible for paying May rent - only June and July. If you're interested, PM me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Interviewed 4/22
Alt List 5/10
Accepted 5/16
Entirely via email.

LizzyM 74. Lots of undergrad research.
Reapp - Scribe job over gap year.
I was pretty certain I bombed the interview and was going to get Post-II rejected.

For my MMI I tried to incorporate personal experiences into the answer. Found the interviewers got sidetracked asking me about personal experiences. I have 2 acceptances, although i'm taking this one, and both were pure MMIs. In both cases, multiple interviewers would develop a stronger interest in a passing reference to my ER experience (or where I was from/whatever I mentioned) than whatever the topic was.

Good luck everyone, especially bananafish. I just lurk but that thread on the front page kept me sane for the months of waiting. I still remember how much last year sucked and how much most of this year sucked. FWIW, I'd really like to go to school with you.

Interviewed 4/22
Alt List 5/10
Accepted 5/16
Entirely via email.

I was pretty certain I bombed the interview and was going to get Post-II rejected.

For my MMI I tried to incorporate personal experiences into the answer. Found the interviewers got sidetracked asking me about personal experiences. I have 2 acceptances, although i'm taking this one, and both were pure MMIs. In both cases, multiple interviewers would develop a stronger interest in a passing reference to my ER experience (or where I was from/whatever I mentioned) than whatever the topic was.

Good luck everyone, especially bananafish. I just lurk but that thread on the front page kept me sane for the months of waiting. I still remember how much last year sucked and how much most of this year sucked. FWIW, I'd really like to go to school with you.
Thank you. Best of luck in your studies.

Interviewed 4/22
Alt List 5/10
Accepted 5/16
Entirely via email.

Reapps rule this school. From one to another, congratulations. Applying more than once is awful, but getting accepted that second (or third for me!) time is extremely satisfying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone on their acceptances!

In the infinitesimal chance that there still are slots available, I assume we won't hear about the next batch of acceptances until a month from now?

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances!

In the infinitesimal chance that there still are slots available, I assume we won't hear about the next batch of acceptances until a month from now?

You could hear tomorrow, and you could hear two months from now. You really never know!

You could hear tomorrow, and you could hear two months from now. You really never know!

Despite the info already posted above, I still feel frustrated that I have no semblance of order. Anyway, I think I should just stop trying to wrap my head around this speculation or pattern because it can get too consuming. But I find it difficult to dissociate that things are out of my control at this point because that's never been me, as I value my autonomy in making things happen.

Despite the info already posted above, I still feel frustrated that I have no semblance of order. Anyway, I think I should just stop trying to wrap my head around this speculation or pattern because it can get too consuming. But I find it difficult to dissociate that things are out of my control at this point because that's never been me, as I value my autonomy in making things happen.

There IS no order.

Large dogs

It's not entirely out of your control yet! If you keep showing them you are interested (with updates, additional letters, etc) you theoretically could enhance your chances of getting put on the shortlist for spots. I know a few people who were able to get in that way so it's not entirely impossible.

It's not entirely out of your control yet! If you keep showing them you are interested (with updates, additional letters, etc) you theoretically could enhance your chances of getting put on the shortlist for spots. I know a few people who were able to get in that way so it's not entirely impossible.
Really? It seems like they're pretty opposed to any kind of update here.

Last edited:
Were those people told that's why they got in? Or perhaps they just happened to do those things, but we're on the shortlist already. The school itself has mentioned multiple times that they aren't receptive to updates.

I didn't realize RFU wasn't big on updates :(. I don't know if the adcoms told them that's why they got in, but at least one had been persistent to the point of annoyance (in my opinion) so I can't help but think that it was a factor, at least for her. It never hurts to try though, and not have any regrets later on.

Last edited:
I didn't realize RFU wasn't big on updates :(. I don't know if the adcoms told them that's why they got in, but at least one had been persistent to the point of annoyance (in my opinion) so I can't help but think that it was a factor, at least for her. It never hurts to try though, and not have any regrets later on.
I feel like that might not be correct. If you annoy the admissions committee it could be the kiss of death. The chances of getting in for this cycle are infinitesimally small and you don't want them to dislike you when you reapply.

Last edited:
For everyone waiting in limbo, you have four options:
1) Rack your brain trying to figure out how to get the adcoms attention and hope they pull you from the WL
2) Focus your energies on some new ECs, classes, etc so that a year from now, your application is even stronger and hopefully lacking the deficiencies that led to the WL and punching your ticket for the c/o 2022
3) combine 1 & 2
4) If you live in the Chicago-area, find out when orientation/first day of classes are. Show up with a check made out for the first semesters total. Go to the admissions office, hand them the check and tell them you're here to begin med school.

For everyone waiting in limbo, you have four options:
1) Rack your brain trying to figure out how to get the adcoms attention and hope they pull you from the WL
2) Focus your energies on some new ECs, classes, etc so that a year from now, your application is even stronger and hopefully lacking the deficiencies that led to the WL and punching your ticket for the c/o 2022
3) combine 1 & 2
4) If you live in the Chicago-area, find out when orientation/first day of classes are. Show up with a check made out for the first semesters total. Go to the admissions office, hand them the check and tell them you're here to begin med school.
Do you think Option 4 will work if I show up with $13 and half a ham sandwich?

Reactions: 3 users
WL movement probably done

In one of the waitlist support threads, it's been noted that once it starts it's likely to continue for a school. It can happen in waves. No sense in speculating negatively unless you've heard directly from the school. Did you contact RFUMS?

I wouldn't be surprised if they accepted a few people next week. They last accepted people 12 days ago, and I know a lot of med schools give you two weeks to decide when you get accepted off the waitlist. So they may be waiting for people to commit before they extend more acceptances.