2015-2016 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello guys!

I wasn't planning on applying to this school but after doing some research I decided to give this school and another one a shot. I'm currently doing a master's and was wondering if you guys could comment on the odds of me receiving an interview if I completed my secondary this late into the game. I'm not fully familiar with this school. My stats are:

1. Undergraduate in Health Sciences GPA: 3.82

2. Masters of Health Science GPA: Not complete, but currently ~3.75

3. MCAT: 24 (9/6/9)

p.s: I know my MCAT of 24 is the bare minimum and might be the weakness in my application

p.s.s: I'm also Canadian

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys!

I wasn't planning on applying to this school but after doing some research I decided to give this school and another one a shot. I'm currently doing a master's and was wondering if you guys could comment on the odds of me receiving an interview if I completed my secondary this late into the game. I'm not fully familiar with this school. My stats are:

p.s: I know my MCAT of 24 is the bare minimum and might be the weakness in my application

With it being this late in the game and with that MCAT, I'd say save your money and the stigma of being a reapplicant and just apply next cycle. Retake the MCAT and apply as early as possible for the best odds of getting in.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey OOS applicant here, complete 9/13...how long should i wait until I giveup home since I am OOS!?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey OOS applicant here, complete 9/13...how long should i wait until I giveup home since I am OOS!?

when they reject you I am OOS been complete sine 8/13, and still "under review", won't check it off of my list until they change that to a rejection.

when they reject you I am OOS been complete sine 8/13, and still "under review", won't check it off of my list until they change that to a rejection.
I guess, I am from Cali. I Get a very anti-california feeling from this school for some reason.

I just made a FB class page!! Search MSU CHM Class of 2020 and you should find it! Its a private group so DM me and I'll add you! Lets try to get everyone on the same page. Lol and my name is Haseeb Khan ( the only person in the group right now)

Any idea if they will make an official group, or if there will just be an unofficial one that a student starts (I've seen both for other schools)? Let me know if you end up finding anything, I'd like to join :)
Just made one its MSU CHM Class of 2020

Accepted this evening! OOS. Psyched!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just jumped into this thread! Received a call from Maurer last night around 8! Accepted!!! I could not be happier! Good luck to all of you! Haseeb and I are adding people to the MSU CHM class of 2020 facebook page, so if you can, add him and get in on the group!

Just jumped into this thread! Received a call from Maurer last night around 8! Accepted!!! I could not be happier! Good luck to all of you! Haseeb and I are adding people to the MSU CHM class of 2020 facebook page, so if you can, add him and get in on the group!

Yay, just joined the fb group! Everyone else should as well!! :)

For some reason it doesn't show up when I search for it. Could you post the link on here?

I had the same issue- I think you may have to be friends with the admin of the group in order to search it. Message Haseeb and he can friend you, then add you to the group!

Just got an interview here for February, really excited and grateful for the opportunity. I applied to the LMU program and it's a huge part of the reason I'd like to attend MSU and a deciding factor for me - Does anyone know how the application process for LMU looks or when we might hear back about acceptances? I haven't heard anything from the program on my application, so I wanted to check!

Did any of you interview November 20th? I was there on the 20th so I'm curious if they're making decisions about us already!

Did any of you interview November 20th? I was there on the 20th so I'm curious if they're making decisions about us already!
I think Brian told us that they're trying to let us know before Christmas, they have another committee meeting next Wednesday, and it seems like it's their last meeting before Christmas... so hopefully sometime around then!

Has anyone heard anything from their interview on October 30th? I'm getting anxious lol But congrats to those who have made it!

Congrats to all recent acceptances! :clap:

Going on 15 weeks now of silence from MSU...no hold, no II, no rejection, nothing. Am I the only one still in this boat? I hate to keep bringing it up but I can't figure out if the utter silence is something to be relieved by or if it's a bad sign.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! Ive been a long time troll but I interviewed on Nov 20th and I hope we all hear back soon!!

Has anyone heard anything from their interview on October 30th? I'm getting anxious lol But congrats to those who have made it!

I interviewed that day and got the waitlist email on 11/18. No news is probably good news at this point!! Good luck!

Going on 15 weeks now of silence from MSU...no hold, no II, no rejection, nothing. Am I the only one still in this boat? I hate to keep bringing it up but I can't figure out if the utter silence is something to be relieved by or if it's a bad sign.

nope. I keep checking my status and everyday it's the same thing "forwarded for preliminary review 8/21"

Reactions: 2 users
I had a similar concern, so thanks for shedding some light! I've gone through most of undergrad basically teaching myself the sciences so this seems to fit my learning style. So would you agree that CHM really prepares you for the boards? The stats are reassuring so I'm very excited about that.

Also..... GO GREEN!! Huge win against Ohio State today :)

Yes I would agree that CHM prepares the students for boards. The new curriculum is projected to increase the average board score by a fair amount.

(Beat the Hawkeyes!)

Honestly, there is no harm in reaching out to the school with what you've told us, especially if you're a competitive applicant. Possibly see if you could talk to someone about your application competitiveness too. In any case, I hope the interview process is going well for you

I interviewed that day and got the waitlist email on 11/18. No news is probably good news at this point!! Good luck!

Thanks. I wish you success in the rest of the application process!

Hello guys!

I think the minimum is 25 to be considered. With the new MCAT they like to see at least the 50th percentile. I was told this by an admissions officer.

Just got an interview here for February, really excited and grateful for the opportunity. I applied to the LMU program and it's a huge part of the reason I'd like to attend MSU and a deciding factor for me - Does anyone know how the application process for LMU looks or when we might hear back about acceptances? I haven't heard anything from the program on my application, so I wanted to check!
The LMU app is part of the secondary app. It consists of several more essay questions. You should apply then. During my interview day though they said you could apply after matriculation too.

Anxious to hear. Anyone get any waitlist or rejection emails this morning?

II this morning. IS. Complete 8/17. LizzM 74-75. Likely going to give up this invitation so someone else can have my spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anxious to hear. Anyone get any waitlist or rejection emails this morning?
Same, just sitting in front of my email and phone, munching away at a 2 lb bag of Veggie Straws from Costco and waiting

I think they usually make phone calls later in the afternoon. I thought they released decisions on Wednesdays?
They may release emails on Wednesday for waitlist or rejection but I hear that they call you on the Tues night before the scheduled decision date. So no news is good news at this point.

Fyi I interviewed a few weeks ago.

I think they usually make phone calls later in the afternoon. I thought they released decisions on Wednesdays?

They may release emails on Wednesday for waitlist or rejection but I hear that they call you on the Tues night before the scheduled decision date. So no news is good news at this point.

Fyi I interviewed a few weeks ago.

Doh... I'm gonna have to get a new bag of veggie straws

Reactions: 2 users
Doh... I'm gonna have to get a new bag of veggie straws
I just want to get to 5pm with no email. Then I can hope for a phone call. If 10pm comes with no phone call I'll crawl into a hole and await the email of shame.

I just want to get to 5pm with no email. Then I can hope for a phone call. If 10pm comes with no phone call I'll crawl into a hole and await the email of shame.
If that happens, I'll crawl in the hole with you, and we can share my veggie straws.. these things are amazing.

If that happens, I'll crawl in the hole with you, and we can share my veggie straws.. these things are amazing.
Well we made it to 5pm. There is still hope for us! Raise a straw for both of us! We will survive.

tumblr_mc778vf4uz1qih9gi.gif

I was forwarded to preliminary review about the beginning of August, and I haven't heard anything at all. Is this normal? I'm OOS, but have a pretty competitive application. Would contacting admissions be of any value, or should I just be patient and wait? I'd love to get an II

I was forwarded to preliminary review about the beginning of August, and I haven't heard anything at all. Is this normal? I'm OOS, but have a pretty competitive application. Would contacting admissions be of any value, or should I just be patient and wait? I'd love to get an II

When in doubt, there's no problem communicating. I would just try to be specific. I'm sure everyone and their mom asks them about the status of their application. If you mention what you just said. I think that will be effective.

I was just rejected pre-interview today so you're still in the running. I hadn't heard anything until just today (also completed in August).

Received the dreaded alternate list email today. I interviewed November 20th. IS, 3.96/509. This is definitely my number one school so I am going to keep my application in, but sadly I know that the stats are not in my favor now.