2015-2016 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just rejected pre-interview today so you're still in the running. I hadn't heard anything until just today (also completed in August).

Sorry man. I feel your pain. Gotten 8 rejections so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Received the dreaded alternate list email today. I interviewed November 20th. IS, 3.96/509. This is definitely my number one school so I am going to keep my application in, but sadly I know that the stats are not in my favor now.
I hate that waitlist thing, especially when they say things like your academics, etc are exemplary. Well if I'm so exemplary... But WL is still in the game. Rooting for you. No word yet for me.

Reactions: 1 users
I hate that waitlist thing, especially when they say things like your academics, etc are exemplary. Well if I'm so exemplary... But WL is still in the game. Rooting for you. No word yet for me.

I think that's what also makes this process so infuriating at times. It's like you're constantly walking on ice, and I understand that no one should truly feel like they have it in the bag or incompetent, but sometimes I wish that the process could be more straightforward. No word for me, but the fact that people who may have interviewed later than me already have decisions made and vice versa adds to the stress. I truly wish you all the best though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that's what also makes this process so infuriating at times. It's like you're constantly walking on ice, and I understand that no one should truly feel like they have it in the bag or incompetent, but sometimes I wish that the process could be more straightforward. No word for me, but the fact that people who may have interviewed later than me already have decisions made and vice versa adds to the stress. I truly wish you all the best though.
For sure no one should think they have it in the bag. I walked out of an MMI thinking that and I got waitlisted. I was truly shocked. So I am ever humbled by this process; on cloud 9 on one day and in the dumps the next. To survive the application process is a feat in itself. This is why becoming a doctor is such an amazing thing. Hoop after hoop you are squeezing yourself into a mold. It gets pretty tight in there! Keep your sense of humor. We will live another day and find our way, whatever that may be.

Reactions: 4 users
Hmmm. Anyone get an acceptance call last night?
Based on what people are saying on SDN, it appears that accepted students get a call sometime Tuesday evening (7-10pm) and waitlisted/rejected students get an email sometime before or at 5pm the following Wednesday. I'd love to ask the admissions office how much truth there is to this, but I have a feeling that they'd say something along the lines of "that's likely, but it depends". :)

Reactions: 1 user
Based on what people are saying on SDN, it appears that accepted students get a call sometime Tuesday evening (7-10pm) and waitlisted/rejected students get an email sometime before or at 5pm the following Wednesday. I'd love to ask the admissions office how much truth there is to this, but I have a feeling that they'd say something along the lines of "that's likely, but it depends". :)
Well the last two nights have been tough for me to say the least. No word. Glad not to get an email but wish I knew. Wonder if they will do any more contacting before Xmas.

Well the last two nights have been tough for me to say the least. No word. Glad not to get an email but wish I knew. Wonder if they will do any more contacting before Xmas.

They have one more date December 16, then the next one is supposedly in February. Hopefully we'll get some action before next year :)

They have one more date December 16, then the next one is supposedly in February. Hopefully we'll get some action before next year :)
Oh. Didn't know about the Dec 16 date. Thanks for posting. Let's hope this Xmas will include an acceptance! Ugh.....the wait is excruciating!!!

Got a rejection. I thought I'd at least get a hold or something.

MSUCOM at least gave me an II, and these schools both have similar stats..

Got a rejection. I thought I'd at least get a hold or something.

MSUCOM at least gave me an II, and these schools both have similar stats..

when were you complete if you dont mind me asking?

I was complete 8/14 for CHM. I'm already waitlisted at COM. So yeah, its one rough cycle I'm going thru

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete 8/14 for CHM. I'm already waitlisted at COM. So yeah, its one rough cycle I'm going thru
I am sorry you are having a rough go of it. WL is still In the game. There is hope. It's not over til it's over.

Does anyone have a copy of the residency match list they gave us at the interview? Or know a link to it? Thanks!

Edit: Nvm, found my copy!

Last edited:
Has anyone that was put on a pre-interview hold been offered an interview? With the timing off this hold, I am having a hard time interpreting this! Thank you.

Is there a specific hold status on the portal? Mine still says 'Forwarded for preliminary review 7/23/2015' :/

Is there a specific hold status on the portal? Mine still says 'Forwarded for preliminary review 7/23/2015' :/

Yes there is, it states that the application was placed on hold to compare to the rest of the application pool before making a final decision about an interview.

One of my scribe buddies got accepted 2 weeks before orientation from the waitlist last cycle. Not the end of the game by any means.

One of my scribe buddies got accepted 2 weeks before orientation from the waitlist last cycle. Not the end of the game by any means.

I will admit that I had been getting increasingly irritated with the process, but a few weeks ago it occurred to me that in reality no deserves or is entitled to anything. We work so hard to get here, yes, but there are so many forces at play that are out of our control, so all we can do is wait and keep doing things to make ourselves more competitive. Getting in medical school is difficult, but not as difficult as the pressure of being a physician. So I just try to tell myself that waiting and even getting some rejections is nothing in comparison (and more importantly, out of my control). But hopefully we'll all hear some good news soon. :)

Reactions: 1 users
ACCEPTED!! Interviewed in EL on 12/04, so was not expecting anything today. Absolutely loved the school when I was there. Never thought I'd say this, but this Wolverine is pretty excited to become a Spartan.

Reactions: 3 users
Got an II on 12/3 but the Interview day is 2/12... Anyone has an interview on this day? Or if you already had an interview, how was it?

Alternate list, interviewed 11/20. LizzyM69. so bummed out...

I feel like this school has lost my application.

Forwarded to preliminary review in late August.

Waitlist. I'm a bit devastated. Better than rejection so I am still hoping. Still hoping.

On the dreaded alternate list. A little bummed that I had to wait so long to find out (10/30 interview). Does anyone have any idea how the movement works? Last year they only accepted two off of it, but there's also a new curriculum...

On the dreaded alternate list. A little bummed that I had to wait so long to find out (10/30 interview). Does anyone have any idea how the movement works? Last year they only accepted two off of it, but there's also a new curriculum...
Well Laurel, we will go into waitlist limbo together. Thanks for pointing out that only two were accepted off the list last year. This forces me to think more seriously about other possibilities. Yikes. I really needed to go here. But whatevs. I have deal with reality.

Well Laurel, we will go into waitlist limbo together. Thanks for pointing out that only two were accepted off the list last year. This forces me to think more seriously about other possibilities. Yikes. I really needed to go here. But whatevs. I have deal with reality.

Same deal. To be honest I wasn't really a fan of the satellite campuses, but the fact that I'm instate and competitive (as well as URM) makes me worry for some of the other Michigan schools I applied to! I hate to be a negative Nancy, but it's probably safe to assume that I won't be admitted here next fall. I'll be optimistic and send updates (is it possible to speak to someone about your application?), but this was really eye opening.

This process is tricky and disheartening, but I really hope all you get some good news. The fact is that we'll get a quality education in most schools that we go to, so you really have to be open and humble no matter how hard it is. Happy holidays!

Same deal. To be honest I wasn't really a fan of the satellite campuses, but the fact that I'm instate and competitive (as well as URM) makes me worry for some of the other Michigan schools I applied to! I hate to be a negative Nancy, but it's probably safe to assume that I won't be admitted here next fall. I'll be optimistic and send updates (is it possible to speak to someone about your application?), but this was really eye opening.

This process is tricky and disheartening, but I really hope all you get some good news. The fact is that we'll get a quality education in most schools that we go to, so you really have to be open and humble no matter how hard it is. Happy holidays!
Which other MI schools are you waiting on? I've heard from all MI schools but Western.

Which other MI schools are you waiting on? I've heard from all MI schools but Western.

I interviewed at Wayne and Western, still waiting on decisions there. My application is still being reviewed for Oakland and Michigan, but I against better judgement, I didn't apply to Central (a little too close to my hometown, and my family recently relocated to Georgia). I like Wayne a lot, but I really liked the vibe of Michigan State too. Ah, this process is really a million different struggles :)

I interviewed at Wayne and Western, still waiting on decisions there. My application is still being reviewed for Oakland and Michigan, but I against better judgement, I didn't apply to Central (a little too close to my hometown, and my family recently relocated to Georgia). I like Wayne a lot, but I really liked the vibe of Michigan State too. Ah, this process is really a million different struggles :)
Kudos to you that you're still in the running for Oakland and Michigan. I was rejected so fast from OUWB that they forgot to take me off their recruiting email list and sent me a 'check us out' email two weeks after they rejected me. Ha! Yes, this process is a million different struggles. You go where they graciously allow you in. Some don't even get that.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone that was put on a pre-interview hold been offered an interview? With the timing off this hold, I am having a hard time interpreting this! Thank you.
Haven't heard anything since being placed on hold

I'm not sure how accurate only two being accepted off the wait list is, I'm currently an M1 at MSU and was accepted off the wait list and I know at least 3 other people who were accepted off the wait list.
Just adding some hope to the people who were put on the wait list!

I'm not sure how accurate only two being accepted off the wait list is, I'm currently an M1 at MSU and was accepted off the wait list and I know at least 3 other people who were accepted off the wait list.
Just adding some hope to the people who were put on the wait list!

I was thinking that this was a little fishy. Maybe I misinterpreted the graph they gave us. It just seems unlikely that so few people would be accepted off of the waitlist, you know? That would sort of undermine the need for a waitlist. Thanks for giving us some more hope!

Out of curiosity, did you provide updates/stay in close contact to MSU?

Will be withdrawing my acceptance...hope the spot goes to one of you! Best of luck

Reactions: 3 users
I was thinking that this was a little fishy. Maybe I misinterpreted the graph they gave us. It just seems unlikely that so few people would be accepted off of the waitlist, you know? That would sort of undermine the need for a waitlist. Thanks for giving us some more hope!

Out of curiosity, did you provide updates/stay in close contact to MSU?

My interview was one of the later ones so I didn't really have anything to update. And I had been accepted elsewhere so by then, I didn't really have high hopes that app would move from the waitlist. In fact, I accepted and started the enrollment process at a different school.
The acceptance caught me completely by surprise!
So yeah, if you're waitlisted hang tight and don't let up hope.
I would definitely stay in contact and update if you actually have things of importance to update with, I just happened to have not so don't freak out if you don't either.

Recommended for ABLE

Also recommended for ABLE.

Just in case anyone was wondering...Secondary received 9/15, II 9/25, Referred to ABLE 11/4.

And before any of you give up hope, my cGPA is 2.99, sGPA 2.60, MCAT 497. Unless you're the perfect student with the best grades, mcat, and extracurriculars, there's no solid formula for why a school might pick you. Look into the mission of each and see how well your own values fit in with theirs and whether or not you've been doing things that show a commitment to medicine. After graduating from U of Michigan, I took a year off to work the road as an EMT and in the ED of a level 1 trauma center. The year after I started my MPH at a top 10 and engaged myself in public health projects for racial health disparities. If you don't have the grades, supplement your application with other work that shows tenacity and an understanding that medicine is more than just making the mark.

Good luck to all. If you try hard enough and have enough patience, you WILL find a place somewhere that matches you as well. Eat some ice cream and relax! :)

p.s. Does anyone know the matriculation rate for the ABLE program? Thanks in advance!

Also recommended for ABLE.

Just in case anyone was wondering...Secondary received 9/15, II 9/25, Referred to ABLE 11/4.

And before any of you give up hope, my cGPA is 2.99, sGPA 2.60, MCAT 497. Unless you're the perfect student with the best grades, mcat, and extracurriculars, there's no solid formula for why a school might pick you. Look into the mission of each and see how well your own values fit in with theirs and whether or not you've been doing things that show a commitment to medicine. After graduating from U of Michigan, I took a year off to work the road as an EMT and in the ED of a level 1 trauma center. The year after I started my MPH at a top 10 and engaged myself in public health projects for racial health disparities. If you don't have the grades, supplement your application with other work that shows tenacity and an understanding that medicine is more than just making the mark.

Good luck to all. If you try hard enough and have enough patience, you WILL find a place somewhere that matches you as well. Eat some ice cream and relax! :)

p.s. Does anyone know the matriculation rate for the ABLE program? Thanks in advance!

According to their website, upon successful completion of the ABLE program, you are offered acceptance into the medical school. http://www.mdadmissions.msu.edu/Programs/ABLE/ABLE.htm

:)

Still waiting for a response from MSU... been complete since September. I find this odd... I've heard from almost all of my other applications.

According to their website, upon successful completion of the ABLE program, you are offered acceptance into the medical school. http://www.mdadmissions.msu.edu/Programs/ABLE/ABLE.htm

:)

Still waiting for a response from MSU... been complete since September. I find this odd... I've heard from almost all of my other applications.

Congrats on the II! PM for any tips and I'll tell you what I can without violating their rules. It's laid back though and really just a great chance for them to get to know you better as an individual. As for the ABLE program, I meant more specifically matriculation into the program. Not everyone who gets referred actually gets into ABLE and I can't seem to find any statistics for acceptance rates.

Hi everyone,

For those of you that were referred specifically to the ABLE program for consideration, you may ask me any questions you may have about it! I'm currently going through it right now, and just finished up the first semester.
As for the matriculation rate I can guarantee its >90% for EACH class. It varies from year to year. Although, I can say that they get government funding EVERY year for the last 30 years! They must be doing something right. Furthermore, the faculty involved truly care about each and every student. It's a small group, and you get a lot of advantages that 1st year medical students never get.

Rejected today pre-II. IS, complete late August

It's a bit off-putting how many times they say "unsuccessful" in the rejection email lol

For those of you who have had an interview at MSU, do they take the time to go over the new curriculum in depth at some point during the interview day?

Also, do they send another email about the time of the interview? I see a sample agenda online, but do not have a start time for the day provided any where else.