2015-2016 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How long did it take people to get a reject or interview after being put on hold for an interview decision?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else interviewing on the 20th??

Also, does anyone who has already completed an interview have any recommendations for hotels/accomodations that isn't overly expensive?
I'll see you there! Not sure about the hotel sorry, I'm staying with some friends at Grand Valley State University nearby.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else interviewing on the 20th??

Also, does anyone who has already completed an interview have any recommendations for hotels/accomodations that isn't overly expensive?

Where are you interviewing? I interviewed at Grand Rapids (October 30th). The CityFlats hotel is the probably the closet to campus (a comfortable 10 minute walk), and if you ask them for a discount because of your interview at MSU CHM, they will happily oblige. The nearby hotels aren't particularly cheap (I think they're all well over $100, with this one being the closest and the cheapest), so if you're driving, you could go a little further. Hope that was helpful.

For anyone who was offered an interview, how did you prepare for the MMIs? I am really nervous about the process.

Where are you interviewing? I interviewed at Grand Rapids (October 30th). The CityFlats hotel is the probably the closet to campus (a comfortable 10 minute walk), and if you ask them for a discount because of your interview at MSU CHM, they will happily oblige. The nearby hotels aren't particularly cheap (I think they're all well over $100, with this one being the closest and the cheapest), so if you're driving, you could go a little further. Hope that was helpful.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm interviewing at Grand Rapids, but I'm driving. I just booked a hotel about 10 minutes away the school by car. Hope there isn't too much traffic going into the city on a Friday 7am!

II this Friday. Any advice from anyone who already interviewed with MSU CHM? Defiantly a bit nervous for the MMI!

II this Friday. Any advice from anyone who already interviewed with MSU CHM? Defiantly a bit nervous for the MMI!

I would definitely spend time familiarizing yourself with the MMI format. My interview at MSU was my first MMI, but it was honestly very pleasant and it went by pretty quick (especially if you have it in the morning session!). You basically have eight stations, with two minutes to read the prompt and then eight minutes I believe to respond to it. The stations can be any sort of scenario such as an ethical prompt where you will have to discuss your thoughts/conclusions about it to your judge/observer who will probably ask a few questions that relate to your prompt, a scenario where you have to talk to an actor and there is a third party watching you who will also ask you a question or two at the end, and self-evaluation or social evaluation games/questions.

If you have a strong hold on medical ethics, that should help tremendously, but I believe the biggest thing is being about to support your statements (even if they try to sway you - consider counterarguments but you don't have to change your idea unless you feel it's necessary), not showing stress, and being yourself! It was actually a lot of fun, but I'm still waiting to see if I have something to celebrate! Best of luck!

I would definitely spend time familiarizing yourself with the MMI format. My interview at MSU was my first MMI, but it was honestly very pleasant and it went by pretty quick (especially if you have it in the morning session!). You basically have eight stations, with two minutes to read the prompt and then eight minutes I believe to respond to it. The stations can be any sort of scenario such as an ethical prompt where you will have to discuss your thoughts/conclusions about it to your judge/observer who will probably ask a few questions that relate to your prompt, a scenario where you have to talk to an actor and there is a third party watching you who will also ask you a question or two at the end, and self-evaluation or social evaluation games/questions.

If you have a strong hold on medical ethics, that should help tremendously, but I believe the biggest thing is being about to support your statements (even if they try to sway you - consider counterarguments but you don't have to change your idea unless you feel it's necessary), not showing stress, and being yourself! It was actually a lot of fun, but I'm still waiting to see if I have something to celebrate! Best of luck!
Awesome! Thanks so much! Defiantly going to have to take some time to brush up on medical ethics seeing I never took any med. ethics classes. Thanks again!

Could anyone comment on the new curriculum? It sounds cool, but how would you learn all the hard sciences such as biochem, pharmacology, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that! Mind sharing your stats/was the rejection pre or post interview? Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Thanks! I have a low MCAT for MD schools, so I'm expecting a lot of rejections, but it's hard to hear that from my state schools. Pre interview

Thanks! I have a low MCAT for MD schools, so I'm expecting a lot of rejections, but it's hard to hear that from my state schools. Pre interview

GL with msucom! I hear it is a great program! Were you ever put on hold?

Rejected pre-interview today :( Makes me ssaaaaddddddd

Hopefully I get some positive vibes from the other schools!

Rejected pre-interview today :( Makes me ssaaaaddddddd

Hopefully I get some positive vibes from the other schools!

I am sorry to hear that, wishing you the best of luck. Would you mind posting when you were complete?

I am sorry to hear that, wishing you the best of luck. Would you mind posting when you were complete?

I was completed oonnn August 24th.

My stats, also, were a cGPA of 3.6, 31 MCAT, Canadian with strong ties to the state, and decent ECs (lots of hosptial, doctor shadowing, school clubs, youth volunteering).

I was completed oonnn August 24th.

My stats, also, were a cGPA of 3.6, 31 MCAT, Canadian with strong ties to the state, and decent ECs (lots of hosptial, doctor shadowing, school clubs, youth volunteering).

Thanks and hmm, your app assures me you will be fine this cycle! Good luck! I was complete before you.. Still in the running but idk what is going on with the lag, sick of waiting!

Interviewed here on Friday...love this school!

Reactions: 3 users
I've been complete since August 14th, and not a single peep. No pre-II rejection, no holds, nada. Not really sure how to interpret this.

This is sort of odd. MSUCOM gave me an II ~two weeks after I submitted their secondary.

I've been complete since August 14th, and not a single peep. No pre-II rejection, no holds, nada. Not really sure how to interpret this.

This is sort of odd. MSUCOM gave me an II ~two weeks after I submitted their secondary.
Same boat, complete around your time. It appears that they don't do silent rejections so I don't know why I am stuck in purgatory!

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a point at which we should be concerned that they haven't made a decision post-interview? I interviewed 10/16 and still haven't heard anything.

For everyone who interviewed, am I okay not having a small portfolio to bring? Is there anything besides the basics (wallet, ID, Pen, maybe small pad of paper, breath mints, etc.) that we should bring to the interviews??

Is there a point at which we should be concerned that they haven't made a decision post-interview? I interviewed 10/16 and still haven't heard anything.

They said if you haven't heard in 2 months you should call

^ if not, one of us should definitely start one.

II!!! I completed 10/5. Interview in GR on 1/29.

Reactions: 2 users
CONGRATS!!! you submitted your secondary in October? What were your stats?

Very average: 3.4 c, 3.2 s, and 501 mcat. However, I have a lot of great extracurricular's that definitely helped holistically

Reactions: 4 users
Could anyone comment on the new curriculum? It sounds cool, but how would you learn all the hard sciences such as biochem, pharmacology, etc.?

MSUCHM M1

I sit in on a lot of the focus groups and we talk about this a lot actually. From what I understand, you learn the hard sciences individually (and when you need them) for a particular system or whatever the topic is that week. This only seems weird because it isn't what we're used to (the ordered progression of topics followed by how to use them). But have faith. The stats are always thrown around claiming 10 points higher step scores than previous years (after switching to this style).

Also, by the time you actually take step, you'll have taken so many practice tests that it will be second nature. That in itself is very comforting.

Hope this helps a little. Wish I could speak more on the topic but its hush-hush until its completely finalized.

I love how all of us are waiting for someone else to make the group and none of us take the initiative to go and make the group :laugh:.

Last edited:
MSUCHM M1

I sit in on a lot of the focus groups and we talk about this a lot actually. From what I understand, you learn the hard sciences individually (and when you need them) for a particular system or whatever the topic is that week. This only seems weird because it isn't what we're used to (the ordered progression of topics followed by how to use them). But have faith. The stats are always thrown around claiming 10 points higher step scores than previous years (after switching to this style).

Also, by the time you actually take step, you'll have taken so many practice tests that it will be second nature. That in itself is very comforting.

Hope this helps a little. Wish I could speak more on the topic but its hush-hush until its completely finalized.
I had a similar concern, so thanks for shedding some light! I've gone through most of undergrad basically teaching myself the sciences so this seems to fit my learning style. So would you agree that CHM really prepares you for the boards? The stats are reassuring so I'm very excited about that.

Also..... GO GREEN!! Huge win against Ohio State today :)

I love how all of us are waiting for someone else to make the group and none of us take the initiative to go and make the group :laugh:.

Okay, I'm trying to make a facebook group for accepted students but I think I need to invite someone else into the group in order to create it. If anyone wants to friend me so I can use you to make the group- message me! Or if anyone knows how to make one of these stupid groups feel free to take over and make it ;)

Hey guys! I'm in the process of uploading the required documents before my interview but I am unable to sign and save the confidentiality form because it says that it can only save a blank form. How were you guys able to get around this. Thanks in advance.

About time I post here; rejected, pre interview. Canadian, 3.69 GPA, 38 MCAT. :( so sad. Thought I had a pretty good shot.