2015-2016 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a student here and am just finishing up M1. I interviewed applicants last year and plan to continue this year. My campus is Grand Rapids, and I'm happy to help you in any way that I can. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this the application thread for the DO school or MD?..or both?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if I have a chance at this school?

MCAT: 29 (PS: 10 / VR: 8 / BS: 11)
cGPA: 3.92
sGPA: 3.85

Thanks

Forgot to add: I am Canadian

Your GPA looks good, but the verbal score on the MCAT is a red flag in my eyes. I'm not sure how MSU feels about international students, either. Also, stats aren't everything - most of the time med schools want someone who's well-rounded in all aspects of their app, so if you have good extracurriculars/research/clinical experience, then I would maybe apply, but all in all I would consider retaking the MCAT to get a better score.

@Pacna can you tell me about the LMU program here? I'm really undecided on whether or not I should apply to it.

Also, is anyone else pre-writing this secondary? I'm struggling with the 3rd essay question from last year (besides love for science and desire to help people, what's another motivating factor for pursing a career in medicine?). It feels like every motivating reason I have can fit into the category of helping people lol.

Last edited:
@Pacna can you tell me about the LMU program here? I'm really undecided on whether or not I should apply to it.

This is a really good link to read about it. The only thing not explicit is that you MUST go to Flint for clinical years (M3-M4) to be part of the LMU program. Similarly, LMU students get first preference to the Flint campus.

As far as the question you're struggling with, I would personally interpret that as an opportunity to show that you know the kind of work day/career you're getting into and that you're happy with that. Things like continuing education, team environment, level of cognitive effort compared to other careers, etc. I'd reference back to activities on my application as an implied proof of understanding. (ex: I noticed the amount of thought the ER docs I worked with for a year had to use to...)

Just an idea. Realize that just by writing this, I am devaluing these examples. I would guess that almost everyone who applies here this year would read this thread, so it's likely that more people would use these.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!

Your examples are not ones I am using in my essay, so no worries here :)

Has anyone received a secondary and can confirm the prompts are the same as last year? I know it might still be a little early since they just started getting applications on Wednesday

Members don't see this ad :)
Radio silence from them

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

I'm a Michigan-resident with a 3.99 cGPA/sGPA (biology major, graduated in three years) and an MCAT between the 54th-64th percentile (June 2015 test date), so roughly a 26/27 on the old scale. I have numerous volunteer, shadowing, and research experience with a few unique quirks/awards such as one I received from a national film competition. I am a URM (African-American female), but I'm worried that my MCAT is still a little low. I really don't want to retake, and it seems like August or September would be too late to be worth retaking, especially if I scored poorer or about the same (I took the old MCAT last summer, got a 21 because I was doing research/taking classes and an idiot that didn't the MCAT was "that hard"). Do you think I need to retake? I submitted my AMCAS application a few days ago. Thanks a ton!

Hello!

I'm a Michigan-resident with a 3.99 cGPA/sGPA (biology major, graduated in three years) and an MCAT between the 54th-64th percentile (June 2015 test date), so roughly a 26/27 on the old scale. I have numerous volunteer, shadowing, and research experience with a few unique quirks/awards such as one I received from a national film competition. I am a URM (African-American female), but I'm worried that my MCAT is still a little low. I really don't want to retake, and it seems like August or September would be too late to be worth retaking, especially if I scored poorer or about the same (I took the old MCAT last summer, got a 21 because I was doing research/taking classes and an idiot that didn't the MCAT was "that hard"). Do you think I need to retake? I submitted my AMCAS application a few days ago. Thanks a ton!
PM me to discuss.

Received secondary today and excited to get them done!

Does anyone know anything about the LMU program here? Seems ideally suited to my interests.

Just received the secondary invite! Good luck to everyone.

Do you have to pay the fee before you could access the secondary essays?

anyone know the questions?? Im debating not doing the secondary since im OOS and its a smaller percentage than I originally saw

SAME ESSAY PROMPTS AS LAST YEAR?

1. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.
2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you didn't go into great detail in your AMCAS application (including personal statement and experiences) or in Essay One, or you discuss a different aspect of the experience. Please limit your response to 300 words or less.
3. The vast majority of medical school applicants cite their love of science and strong desire to help others as motivation to enter a career in medicine. If you had to choose one more motivating reason, what would it be and why? Please limit your response to 150 words or less.
4. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

anyone know the questions?? Im debating not doing the secondary since im OOS and its a smaller percentage than I originally saw
And OOS Tuition is absolute wicked, with no chance of becoming instate. I do wonder why anyone OOS applies to MSU or Wayne State. Like me applying to S. Carolina. That school is insanely expensive too.

Hey guys, I was wondering if it is worth for me to apply to this school. I am Canadian hence I will considered international...

I have a 3.96 GPA however a low mcat (9P,6V,11B) and also some great experiences. Some of these include...
  • Multiple MD Shadowing
  • President of charity program
  • lifelong dance committment
  • University Dance Team
  • Volunteered at multiple hospitals
  • Fundraiser founder at hospital
  • Multiple club executive positions
  • Leadership program volunteering
  • Dance Awards
  • Hospital Fundraising Award
  • Abroad Medical Volunteer
  • Intramural sports participation
  • And more...
I appreciate the input :)
did you research the tuition? It is wicked, and no chance of ever becoming instate. They will not cut international students a break on MCAT either. Sorry, but this may not be the place for you.

:( the money is certainly not an issue, but i guess if my mcat is too low then i got no shot.
I would retake the MCAT, with your GPA, you should be able to get it to at least a 30. IS ESL, does that explain the Verbal?? Was it a time management issue??

Hey guys, I was wondering if it is worth for me to apply to this school. I am Canadian hence I will considered international...

I have a 3.96 GPA however a low mcat (9P,6V,11B) and also some great experiences. Some of these include...
  • Multiple MD Shadowing
  • President of charity program
  • lifelong dance committment
  • University Dance Team
  • Volunteered at multiple hospitals
  • Fundraiser founder at hospital
  • Multiple club executive positions
  • Leadership program volunteering
  • Dance Awards
  • Hospital Fundraising Award
  • Abroad Medical Volunteer
  • Intramural sports participation
  • And more...
I appreciate the input :)
Your verbal score is going to be unacceptable for a lot of medical schools. If you can do some test prep/practice exams and retake to get at least an 8 on V, and maybe a bit higher on the others, you stand a chance. Right now you risk not even making the minimum cutoff screens.

Can someone please tell us what the prompts are?

SAME ESSAY PROMPTS AS LAST YEAR?

1. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.
2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you didn't go into great detail in your AMCAS application (including personal statement and experiences) or in Essay One, or you discuss a different aspect of the experience. Please limit your response to 300 words or less.
3. The vast majority of medical school applicants cite their love of science and strong desire to help others as motivation to enter a career in medicine. If you had to choose one more motivating reason, what would it be and why? Please limit your response to 150 words or less.
4. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

Can someone please tell us what the prompts are?

All the same except #3 is this instead: What do you think will be the most challenging aspect of being a physician some day? (Please limit your response to 150 words or less.)

Anyone else's letters of evaluation not received yet? I am assuming they are just behind in updating our files(since my letter have been in since june 2nd) but I want to check and make sure i'm not the only one haha.

Mine say not received, but MSU's website says they will not mark LOEs as complete/not to call/if AMCAS has the letters assume MSU does.

Anyone else's letters of evaluation not received yet? I am assuming they are just behind in updating our files(since my letter have been in since june 2nd) but I want to check and make sure i'm not the only one haha.

Me too! I'm having a hard time with the rewarding experience. Anyone using something other than medicine related?

Yes, I am using volunteering teaching English to immigrants and seeing their progress

Mine say not received, but MSU's website says they will not mark LOEs as complete/not to call/if AMCAS has the letters assume MSU does.

I read this as well, however upon checking my status again today I saw that a green check has appeared next to my LOR status with the designation "complete" next to it. Don't want to freak anybody out, just throwing in an update.