2015-2016 Indiana University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing here.

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize if this is redundant-- is anyone getting an error message when trying to verify network credentials?

Members don't see this ad :)
So does anyone know of any rejections that went out at the end of March? Looking at last year's thread, there were definitely some people that received bad news around then. Not saying it would make me happy, but it would be nice to know if I survived another round of cuts, or if they just didn't do any this month. Fingers still crossed for a mid-April acceptance or alternate list!

Reactions: 1 user
So does anyone know of any rejections that went out at the end of March? Looking at last year's thread, there were definitely some people that received bad news around then. Not saying it would make me happy, but it would be nice to know if I survived another round of cuts, or if they just didn't do any this month. Fingers still crossed for a mid-April acceptance or alternate list!
I haven't heard of any. I didn't get one, anyway. My birthday is mid-April, so I'm hoping for a super awesome birthday acceptance letter...

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't heard of any. I didn't get one, anyway. My birthday is mid-April, so I'm hoping for a super awesome birthday acceptance letter...

I'm also hoping for an acceptance letter for your birthday!

Anyone know how likely it may be to not get one of our top 3 campuses? The horror.... haha

Does anyone know about the campus assigning? IUSM says they are going to assign campus in April, but what date exactly?
I am graduating (and most of you are also :) ) and moving out, so I really want to know my campus assignment ASAP.
Also, what is the likelihood that people get their 1st choice? I put Indy as my 1st choice, but I think there are more people who want to go to Indy than the spaces that Indy can offer.

More waiting :/
I got my campus assignment very soon after I was accepted in December. I got my first choice but I kind of want to switch so I'm hoping it isn't set in stone.

I got my campus assignment very soon after I was accepted in December. I got my first choice but I kind of want to switch so I'm hoping it isn't set in stone.
Um...what? I thought everyone finds out later this month. Were you ED?

Um...what? I thought everyone finds out later this month. Were you ED?
I thought so too and no, I was not ED. I was offered a merit scholarship though so maybe that had something to do with it?

Yeah, scholarship and ED people get to choose first. That's probably around 100 people total.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought so too and no, I was not ED. I was offered a merit scholarship though so maybe that had something to do with it?
Can confirm, also got a merit scholarship and they confirmed my campus placement a week ago

Just found I got accepted to IU this morning.

I know there's a lot of variability because of campus placement, but can anybody tell me what, roughly, an apartment goes for in downtown Indianapolis? Need to budget to compare another med school I got into.

I know there's a lot of variability because of campus placement, but can anybody tell me what, roughly, an apartment goes for in downtown Indianapolis? Need to budget to compare another med school I got into.
how did you find out?

how did you find out?

Got an email a week or two ago about having to verify my citizenship, which gave me a hunch.

Then this morning I got an email from IUPUI health services congratulating me on my acceptance. I went to to the portal and saw "Accepted" in green.

Don't suppose you know anything about living costs in Indianapolis?

It seems like everyone wants Indy; so there are 40 recruitment scholarship spots already filled in Indianapolis, and however many ED applicants. It's an interesting class makeup- those who are die-hard indy from the get go (ED) and those with super high numbers

Got an email a week or two ago about having to verify my citizenship, which gave me a hunch.

Then this morning I got an email from IUPUI health services congratulating me on my acceptance. I went to to the portal and saw "Accepted" in green.

I'll private message you. I have an apartment in Indy.
Short answer: I would estimate around $1200-1400 if you live alone and frugally for all of your living expenses, depending on the area.

Last edited:

If you haven't seen it, the 2016-2017 Academic Year Cost of Attendance for IUSM is: in state = $58,713 and out of state = $81,667
$12,180 estimated for housing

When did you interview? I interviewed in Feb and still waiting to get accept or rejected. :bored: Still under consideration in the app portal. OOS

When did you interview? I interviewed in Feb and still waiting to get accept or rejected. :bored: Still under consideration in the app portal. OOS

January. This is normal though. Some people interviewed in October and still haven't heard yet.

Can anyone find a copy of the match list?

Can anyone find a copy of the match list?
They don't tend to release it to the public. They do press releases about how many went into primary care, how many stayed in Indiana, etc. A couple of years ago somebody compiled one. It would be nice to see.

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but does anyone know if the class has been filled at this point? Last year, it looks like there were quite a few acceptances on April 15th. The previous year, there weren't any (reported). Just not sure what to expect on Friday, and the quickest way to pass the time is to complain about it non-stop... right?

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but does anyone know if the class has been filled at this point? Last year, it looks like there were quite a few acceptances on April 15th. The previous year, there weren't any (reported). Just not sure what to expect on Friday, and the quickest way to pass the time is to complain about it non-stop... right?

The way I understand it is that medical schools accept a greater amount of people than spots in their class because they know some people will attend other schools they were accepted at. If I had to assume why they don't just accept just the amount of the class capacity to start with and pull the rest of the waitlist is because giving more competitive applicants an acceptance off the bat may lead them to come to their school instead of committing to another school.

The facebook group is well over 400, and a lot of them are staff and matriculants from previous years, so it isn't a good indication, but I would guess that they have already accepted the school's capacity, but will still accept people this month in spite of that. Of course, I'm no expert and this is just my observations and could be completely wrong.

Likely withdrawing my acceptance here.

Reactions: 2 users
I think there will be movement after the housing assignments come out. I am waiting on that and FA from another school. If I don't get my first choice and I get merit aid from another school, I will probably withdraw. Because second chance lottery isn't until after the required withdrawal date, a lot of people that have multiple options have dropped after that.

I think the class is full at this point even though schools may not want to let us know this. AAMC recommends that, "By March 15 of the matriculation year, [schools] issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS." Of course, this is just a recommendation and schools always give out many more acceptances because applicants withdraw their acceptances. I'm hoping that IU has yet to extend those extra acceptances and that we all will receive our letters any day now! :).

FYI I came across the quote as I was during research on multiple acceptance deadlines and guidelines from https://students-residents.aamc.org...ation-and-acceptance-protocols-admission-off/

Anyone who has been accepted not have their background check green check marked yet?

Pretty sure campus assignments will be next week. Possibly the week after, but from previous threads it seemed to have happened the week after the 15th on a Friday.

yeah last two years have been on the 24th and 25th, I'm not getting to antsy until then

Kinda wish we had campus assignments earlier bc i heard that most apartments have waiting lists :/ also being oos makes it even more difficult

Have been under consideration since November!

Reactions: 3 users
i think all applicants under consideration should be hearing some sort of decision soon right?

i think all applicants under consideration should be hearing some sort of decision soon right?

Yes, it's mandated before April 30 for you to know your status as either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. You WILL hear in the next two weeks, for sure.

Edit: Whoopsie, see post 1651 below.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yes, it's mandated before April 30 for you to know your status as either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. You WILL hear in the next two weeks, for sure.
It is? I thought it said June 1st on their portal

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I don't think this is true. I had multiple friends last year whose statuses hasn't changed by July.

Just withdrew my acceptance here!! Hoping it goes to one of you! <3 <3 Best of luck.

Reactions: 4 users
It is? I thought it said June 1st on their portal

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Hmm, you may be right and I may have misinterpreted something about their timeline:

Important Dates 2015 - 2016

• June 1 - November 17, Application deadline
  • July 18 - last day to take MCAT and be considered for EDP
  • August 3, Early Decision Program (EDP) application deadline
  • August - November, Interview cycle
  • October 1, Early Decision Program admission notifications sent
  • October 15 - March 15, 2016 regular acceptance notifications (though this is already mistaken)
  • January - February 2016, final interview cycle
  • Mid-April, Campus Assignment notifications sent
  • April 15 - May 15, 2016, Alternate list notifications sent
  • June 1, 2016, Deadline to issue final admission decisions
But perusing last year's thread I see people not being waitlisted at all and being accepted in June. But these people don't have an option in the campus they're sent to, so it may very well be that they were informally waitlisted, and just never informed.

It's common courtesy to tell applicants their status BEFORE May 1, since that's the day waitlists start moving. I think it's safe to say that, for most applicants, you should hear in the next few weeks.

Reactions: 3 users
It would be an act of God for me to both get accepted AND get the location of my choice. Here's hoping for at least an acceptance!

...but getting put at the Fort Wayne campus would be nice too. :p

Question for current students: Is Terre Haute the only campus that has a physician preceptorship program and if so, do you have to be enrolled in the rural health program?