2018-2019 Indiana University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an email saying they admitted their last group of students. I think after this it’ll just be waitlist or spots for seats given up in the future

I didn't get anything like that. Was it some kind of status update email or was it a response to something you asked them?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those that got recruitment scholarships, what was you mcat and gpa?

Just got an email saying they admitted their last group of students. I think after this it’ll just be waitlist or spots for seats given up in the future
I didn't get that email either, and neither of my portals have updated with a rejection. I will keep checking

No admission, No rejection, No waitlist, no email, no snail mail. I do recall applying here... I think.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Who can we talk to about improving our chances for next cycle? Would it be improper to reach out to our interviewer(s)? I have met with admissions before, but was only given generic information even though I probed for specifics.

Who can we talk to about improving our chances for next cycle? Would it be improper to reach out to our interviewer(s)? I have met with admissions before, but was only given generic information even though I probed for specifics.
You should be able to just email the admissions office and they can set up a call with a person on adcom

So should I be worried about not hearing back at all from this school after having interviewed?

I also haven’t heard back and interviewed in November. From what I gathered the adcom has accepted their last group of applicants on March 15th. At this point it’s probably waitlist and rejections. However, I saw on last years thread that 2-3 applicants were accepted via snail mail in April. Anything can happen I suppose. This whole waiting game is so daunting but try to stay positive!

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear that, man. Is this the applicant portal where we chose our interview location? It actually updated to rejected?

Yes. It's on the caits.iu portal

Under Status it says not accepted and below that it says

"Your application for admission to the 2019 entering class of the Indiana University School Medicine has now been given final consideration. We regret to inform you that the Admissions Committee did not recommend your acceptance.

Should you wish to discuss your 2019 application or a possible application for the next entering class, please feel free to contact the IU School of Medicine Office of Admissions and Financial Services, 1130 West Michigan Street, Fesler Hall 213, Indianapolis, IN 46202 or call us at 317-274-3772."

Yes. It's on the caits.iu portal

Under Status it says not accepted and below that it says

"Your application for admission to the 2019 entering class of the Indiana University School Medicine has now been given final consideration. We regret to inform you that the Admissions Committee did not recommend your acceptance.

Should you wish to discuss your 2019 application or a possible application for the next entering class, please feel free to contact the IU School of Medicine Office of Admissions and Financial Services, 1130 West Michigan Street, Fesler Hall 213, Indianapolis, IN 46202 or call us at 317-274-3772."
Dang, sorry to hear dude. Hope your cycle was successful elsewhere!!

Browsing around past years I gathered a few dates:

May 6th, some people are informed of being placed on waitlist.
May 20th, some Rejection letters received.
June 6-13, some reports of people moving off waitlist and getting accepted.

This is all likely to shift around, but I think April is more or less a blackout period as far as status changes are concerned.

Has anyone been waitlisted or know someone that’s been waitlisted yet officially?? My status is still under consideration as well

Has anyone been waitlisted or know someone that’s been waitlisted yet officially?? My status is still under consideration as well

Hey! I went through last years thread only (2017-2018) and the first waitlist notification was around April 19th. 2 people also posted that they got accepted on 4/16. So we probably won't receive notification until around the next decision date in April.

Interviewed in Late Oct or Early Nov, can't remember. I am also still under consideration. No contact other than when I sent messages through the portal.

I called earlier this week after hearing about these emails in regards to they've officially admitted and now campus rank list.

Admissions informed me that since my status is still "under consideration," all that really means is that the Adcom has not reviewed my app. They have not accepted, denied, or waitlisted me. It simply means, they have not looked at it and that students are still accepted any time between now and first day of school. When I questioned her on the timeline found on their website, she responded with it not being concrete. She said to not trust it because every year is different and things are pretty fluid in that certain students are reviewed at different periods because not everyone's portal is up to date, some students are still missing forms. although that is not the case with me. I informed her that my main concern is getting their feedback before the cycle starts again to address any weaknesses (if they exists) as soon as possible, otherwise, whats the point of feedback if you tell me right after the next cycle opens. In short, still need to wait it out and no news is good news I suppose.

I called earlier this week after hearing about these emails in regards to they've officially admitted and now campus rank list.

Admissions informed me that since my status is still "under consideration," all that really means is that the Adcom has not reviewed my app. They have not accepted, denied, or waitlisted me. It simply means, they have not looked at it and that students are still accepted any time between now and first day of school. When I questioned her on the timeline found on their website, she responded with it not being concrete. She said to not trust it because every year is different and things are pretty fluid in that certain students are reviewed at different periods because not everyone's portal is up to date, some students are still missing forms. although that is not the case with me. I informed her that my main concern is getting their feedback before the cycle starts again to address any weaknesses (if they exists) as soon as possible, otherwise, whats the point of feedback if you tell me right after the next cycle opens. In short, still need to wait it out and no news is good news I suppose.

When I called a few weeks ago, I got the same sort of response. They made it seem like I hadn't even been discussed by the adcoms yet. I find this hard to believe though; I interviewed 4ish months ago (with all forms turned in with green check marks before I even went to the interview) and they haven't gotten to me yet, but they've accepted people who interviewed 1 month ago? I have absolutely no evidence for this but I think they've discussed us and they're essentially putting us on hold to wait and see if they can find better before telling us our fate. They make it clear that they're not rolling admissions, so they have no obligation to tell us anything until the last minute if they want to. I really do wish this process was more transparent.

tl;dr we were ghosted because they think they may be able to do better

Last edited:
When I called a few weeks ago, I got the same sort of response. They made it seem like I hadn't even been discussed by the adcoms yet. I find this hard to believe though; I interviewed 4ish months ago (with all forms turned in with green check marks before I even went to the interview) and they haven't gotten to me yet, but they've accepted people who interviewed 1 month ago? I have absolutely no evidence for this but I think they've discussed us and they're essentially putting us on hold to wait and see if they can find better before telling us our fate. They make it clear that they're not rolling admissions, so they have no obligation to tell us anything until the last minute if they want to. I really do wish this process was more transparent.
I agree. All of my papers were also in before the interview and my date was the first week of November. Do you think they're holding out on sending the very final words with the new traffic rules? According to that, applicants have to narrow down their choices to 3 (if they have more than 3 a's) by the 15th of this month... maybe theyre waiting to see if they get dropped from enough people during that date to send out more decisions? Idk maybe I'm way too optimistic/hopeful and need to chill.

I agree. All of my papers were also in before the interview and my date was the first week of November. Do you think they're holding out on sending the very final words with the new traffic rules? According to that, applicants have to narrow down their choices to 3 (if they have more than 3 a's) by the 15th of this month... maybe theyre waiting to see if they get dropped from enough people during that date to send out more decisions? Idk maybe I'm way too optimistic/hopeful and need to chill.
That is my opinion as well. Since they don't have a real grasp of who is going to accept or not till the end of this month.

Reactions: 1 users

I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense. I wonder if they have a list of potential acceptances and plan to pull from it depending on how many people drop them on the 15th so that they can get those acceptances out as soon as possible. It would definitely be nice to be squeezed in before campus placement

I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense. I wonder if they have a list of potential acceptances and plan to pull from it depending on how many people drop them on the 15th so that they can get those acceptances out as soon as possible. It would definitely be nice to be squeezed in before campus placement
Yeah it would be super nice haha i'm trying hard to not get my hopes up and just be realistic but it's hard to not hold out a little bit of hope knowing people might be dropping them in just 2 weeks. and I also saw some people randomly report acceptances early/mid april on last years thread too. gahh so frustrating not knowing!

Joking question, but only kinda--does IU make students send documents though the mail often? Or is this just a test for students going through the admissions process?

Anyone have a copy of where IU folks ended up matching in recent years? Their page for this (Residency Placement | MD Program | IU School of Medicine) doesn't tell you anything more than what you would already guess. Also as a related aside, the MSAR reports like a 14% rate of graduates going into anaesthesia, which seems kinda wild.
Don't worry about where people match. It's pretty dependent on individual effort.

Don't worry about where people match. It's pretty dependent on individual effort.
Oh I'm not really that interested, just curious. I just thought that with 300+ students it'd be pretty easy to show off and report all the cool places people landed. Obviously if you have the right stuff, you'll make it from anywhere.

Hey guys, just declined my acceptance offer to IU. Hard decision to make because I loved this school. I hope this frees up a space for someone on the waitlist! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone received waitlist notifications yet? IS, 505, 3.6 bcpm and still under consideration after an interview on 1/16

IS, 511, Low GPA. Interview went well at the beginning of this year. I even received a thoughtful reply to my thank you letter. Trying MD, DO, and DPM next cycle if nothing pans out.

Anyone else in the September interview group waiting to hear back?

Anyone else in the September interview group waiting to hear back?
Yep! This is my second application cycle as well so this wait has been absolutely brutal. Fortunately, I have been accepted elsewhere (unexpectedly I might add), however it also means that I'm going to be flying out cross country to attend med school. I am IS and my scores are on par with previously accepted students and I really felt I connected at my interview; but like everything with this pre-med process, little makes sense to me.

So do we know if they are or not accepting any more students? I didn't receive an email saying they were done admitting, so I am unsure. Would it be worth continuing to send updates?

Here's to hoping some of us get accepted this week. Hopefully some late acceptances will go out like last year.

Reactions: 3 users
Why would they interview so many of us if they knew they wouldn't even look at out apps LOL. Spent an easy $400 total applying/interviewing at this school. At least they don't require a secondary...

Any accepted students heard about when campus placements are going out? Just so I know when to lose hope lol

Why would they interview so many of us if they knew they wouldn't even look at out apps LOL. Spent an easy $400 total applying/interviewing at this school. At least they don't require a secondary...

I just went up there to interview a couple of weeks ago. I'm starting to think they won't even look at my app.

I wish they’d let us know campus placement sooner! Ready to find roommates and (hopefully) find a lease not too far of a walk from campus

Is anyone informed on whether new students are being accepted or only waitlisted? I interviewed 2/13 and I believe it went really well.. Although I haven’t been notified of any changes.