2015-2016 Indiana University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how IU looks at applications? I know they look over a group every month on the fifteenth and decide, but how do they decide which applications to look at. It seems strange that some people interview very late and are reviewed promptly while others hear nothing for over half a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how IU looks at applications? I know they look over a group every month on the fifteenth and decide, but how do they decide which applications to look at. It seems strange that some people interview very late and are reviewed promptly while others hear nothing for over half a year.

I would also love to hear the answer to this question

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understood from an admissions rep, everyone who has recently interviewed gets reviewed at the meeting that month. They admit their top candidates and then everyone else gets pushed back. I don't know how often or when they get reviewed after that. And that's just what the rep told me a year or so ago. I never know how much to believe about what they say about their admission processes.

Accepted students, has anyone received their campus assignment yet?
I have been refreshing SDN, the FB page and my portal every hour for the past 3 days.

Accepted students, has anyone received their campus assignment yet?
I have been refreshing SDN, the FB page and my portal every hour for the past 3 days.

Last week on Facebook they said to have your campus choices in by last Friday, which leads me to believe they will press the button tomorrow.

From what I understood from an admissions rep, everyone who has recently interviewed gets reviewed at the meeting that month. They admit their top candidates and then everyone else gets pushed back. I don't know how often or when they get reviewed after that. And that's just what the rep told me a year or so ago. I never know how much to believe about what they say about their admission processes.

Someone from admissions also told me they look at IS applicants first too

Someone from admissions also told me they look at IS applicants first too

I have some anecdotal evidence to support this. I've applied once as IS and once as OOS. Submitted around the same time both years. Interviewed around 8/20 when I was IS, and 1/6 when I was OOS.

Does anyone know when the next round of decisions go out? Waitlist etc... I would have thought people would have heard something by now since the 15th was last Friday.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when the next round of decisions go out? Waitlist etc... I would have thought people would have heard something by now since the 15th was last Friday.

Still silence on my end. It appears that last month was the last round of regular acceptances this year. That being said, hopefully we will find out if we are WL'd / rejected by the 30th. Their portal says "everyone will have a decision by June 1" though, so this is all conjecture..

Still silence on my end. It appears that last month was the last round of regular acceptances this year. That being said, hopefully we will find out if we are WL'd / rejected by the 30th. Their portal says "everyone will have a decision by June 1" though, so this is all conjecture..

Yep, it's about that time when I just start getting nervous every Friday. Seems like there's a possibility we'll have news tomorrow, or if not, the 29th.

Called the admissions office and they said they are no longer doing regular acceptances on the 15th of the month but rather they send out more acceptances when spots open up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker, first time poster. Interviewed 1/13, still no news, but I know someone from the same interview date that has been accepted of course. I check this thread regularly and I made the mistake of reading last years thread and saw that a bunch of people waited until June just to get rejected. The thought of AMCAS opening up soon also has me super on edge. I hope we all hear some good news soon!!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Long time lurker, first time poster. Interviewed 1/13, still no news, but I know someone from the same interview date that has been accepted of course. I check this thread regularly and I made the mistake of reading last years thread and saw that a bunch of people waited until June just to get rejected. The thought of AMCAS opening up soon also has me super on edge. I hope we all hear some good news soon!!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Yeah... I'm just going to pretend it's a reject and move forward with applying next cycle.

Called the admissions office and they said they are no longer doing regular acceptances on the 15th of the month but rather they send out more acceptances when spots open up.

I guess I figured that was the case. Funny that you got that answer, though. I called yesterday got the standard, inconsiderate, bureaucratic answer that "they cannot divulge information regarding whether or not they will send out more acceptances, or when we will be notified about being wait-listed." With the risk of sounding dramatic, them being so vague in their responses is rude and cruel considering the circumstances. It obviously it ISN'T against the rules to give us information, since you got some.

Thanks for sharing what you found, ns107

I guess I figured that was the case. Funny that you got that answer, though. I called yesterday got the standard, inconsiderate, bureaucratic answer that "they cannot divulge information regarding whether or not they will send out more acceptances, or when we will be notified about being wait-listed." With the risk of sounding dramatic, them being so vague in their responses is rude and cruel considering the circumstances. It obviously it ISN'T against the rules to give us information, since you got some.

Thanks for sharing what you found, ns107
Honestly the lack of information is really ****ty.. I have called in numerous times to try to get information and have just been told that my application is "Under Consideration". They don't HAVE to tell us anything, but in what way would it hurt them not to leave us out to dry for so long. It'd be different if they told us we were on hold, waitlisted, or rejected; but they won't say a thing *shrug*.

Withdrew my acceptance! OOS. Best wishes.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone, kinda late to the SDN thing, long-time lurker, first-time poster. I even just made my account haha. OOS interview on 2/10, my group was told we were the last interview group for the year and that we would be remembered because of the new MCAT variable (which I took). Anyways, I still have not heard back from them either. My portal says "Under consideration" and it has stayed that way since February. I'm getting kinda nervous after reading all of your posts :unsure:.
I just have one quick question: do you know if the waitlist is ranked? if so, what determines your rank?

Thanks! I hope to meet you guys in August :xf:

I just logged into the applicant portal and saw my campus assignment. Can someone else login to theirs and confirm?

Edit: Looks like the e-mails are out too.

Last edited:
I just logged into the applicant portal and saw my campus assignment. Can someone else login to theirs and confirm?

I've received mine as well! I was hoping it'd be today. Hope everyone gets good news !

I've received mine as well! I was hoping it'd be today. Hope everyone gets good news !

I guess that means the wait list will start to move soon! Oh wait... ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone, kinda late to the SDN thing, long-time lurker, first-time poster. I even just made my account haha. OOS interview on 2/10, my group was told we were the last interview group for the year and that we would be remembered because of the new MCAT variable (which I took). Anyways, I still have not heard back from them either. My portal says "Under consideration" and it has stayed that way since February. I'm getting kinda nervous after reading all of your posts :unsure:.
I just have one quick question: do you know if the waitlist is ranked? if so, what determines your rank?

Thanks! I hope to meet you guys in August :xf:

Hmm I know there was another interview group 2/17. I think it was the last one.

And sorry, I'm having a brain fart but by new MCAT variable do you mean the 2015 MCAT?

I'm nervous as well reading these posts. I hope the many of us get good news soon

I got Indy! This will make the decision harder.

Anyone know the odds of getting your campus of choice with the second chance lottery?

Anyone know the odds of getting your campus of choice with the second chance lottery?

I think I read in previous threads that the sooner you get your lottery form submitted, the better your odds will be. I don't think you can really know what the chances are though. it's all dependent on the number of students who drop their acceptance to attend another school, and which campuses they had originally been placed at. It seemed like quite a few people had success with it from prior years. The good news is that whether you get your first choice or not, from the email I got, you will still retain your original placement if not. So really nothing to lose in trying.

Hmm I know there was another interview group 2/17. I think it was the last one.

And sorry, I'm having a brain fart but by new MCAT variable do you mean the 2015 MCAT?

I'm nervous as well reading these posts. I hope the many of us get good news soon

haha I meant the "new MCAT" with the psych, soc, and CARS. That one... :hungover:
So after I read all these posts I applied to a job as a lab technician in a biotech company and got a call within an hour (i was suprised too). I have an interview on monday so at least its nice to know that somebody thinks I'm worthy:banana:.

Question to the forum: what's your backup plan in case you dont get in? Mine is save up money and try again!

Got my second choice, filled out 2nd chance for my first choice. Unsure if I should have or if a regional campus will benefit me more. I'll just let the random number generator decide again.

Congrats to everyone who got their campus assignments! Back to the WL wait we go. :(

Reactions: 2 users
I'm 99% sure I'm giving up my spot at West Lafayette so if anyone wants that there will most likely be a spot opening up there!

Seeing new content here soothes my anxiety about waiting so... how's everyone's day? Anyone a doc yet?

Seeing new content here soothes my anxiety about waiting so... how's everyone's day? Anyone a doc yet?
Still under consideration here... But I was just accepted to u of i!!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
Here's a question... my academic advisor told me that applicants that earned their bachelor's at an IU campus and have a certain gpa and MCAT all get interviews. Can anyone verify this? If true, what are those stats?

Here's a question... my academic advisor told me that applicants that earned their bachelor's at an IU campus and have a certain gpa and MCAT all get interviews. Can anyone verify this? If true, what are those stats?

I have never heard that before (and I go to IU Bloomington). I would think that the vast majority of Indiana residents that have a decent GPA and MCAT score would likely get an interview though.

Indiana residents are almost always interviewed.

Looks like the alternate list was released on a Thursday last year :nailbiting:

Hey I got into the IU this cycle for one of the satellite campuses. I was wondering if someone can tell me what the new curriculum changes mean for this upcoming year? will all of the campuses take the same classes and be effected by this change?

Hey I got into the IU this cycle for one of the satellite campuses. I was wondering if someone can tell me what the new curriculum changes mean for this upcoming year? will all of the campuses take the same classes and be effected by this change?

They haven't finalized it, but from what I have heard it is going to be a unified curriculum across the campuses for the first 2 years. It is supposed to be block based and they're giving more dedicated Step 1 study time at the end of the second year.

Withdrew my acceptance today--extremely difficult decision, but as I see it my loss someone else's gain! Good luck and best wishes to all!:)

Going to withdraw my acceptance here on Monday along with my recruitment scholarship. I hope one of you gets my spot and the $$$!!!!

This school is awful. They lied to me when I applied. Really don't like this place. pm me for specifics. For those of you who are rejected forget this school.
Seriously the only posts you make for 4+ years involve this school. Maybe you are lying to yourself. Admissions suck everywhere and the process is impersonal.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

Seriously the only posts you make for 4+ years involve this school. Maybe you are lying to yourself. Admissions suck everywhere and the process is impersonal.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

I'm actually a medical student now (at a different school) and am doing well.

Withdrew from the Indy campus today!

Has anyone received any word of the waitlist, alt-list, acceptance, rejection, etc. since the last round of acceptances? Or is it still radio silence?

Has anyone received any word of the waitlist, alt-list, acceptance, rejection, etc. since the last round of acceptances? Or is it still radio silence?

Freaking radio silence.

Withdrew today good luck to waitlisters!