2020-2021 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Indiana University

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone! Im trying to narrow down my list of schools to apply to and I am interested in Indiana but have no ties to the state (OOS- MN resident). I am planning to retake the MCAT (date I wanted cancelled due to COVID, now taking it July), but my GPA is 3.73-- is it worth applying here or do they heavily favor IS residents? Thanks!

Hey Everyone! Im trying to narrow down my list of schools to apply to and I am interested in Indiana but have no ties to the state (OOS- MN resident). I am planning to retake the MCAT (date I wanted cancelled due to COVID, now taking it July), but my GPA is 3.73-- is it worth applying here or do they heavily favor IS residents? Thanks!

According to their 2019-2020 cycle fact sheet, 285 IS and 80 OOS matriculants are attending. Their last fact sheet (2018-2019) I recall seeing their GPA average at 3.75, but typically it sits around 3.8. If you're from the midwest I think that would increase your chances, but totally unsure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
According to their 2019-2020 cycle fact sheet, 285 IS and 80 OOS matriculants are attending. Their last fact sheet (2018-2019) I recall seeing their GPA average at 3.75, but typically it sits around 3.8. If you're from the midwest I think that would increase your chances, but totally unsure.

Thank you!! Im hoping since I am in the midwest that pulls some weight

Thank you!! Im hoping since I am in the midwest that pulls some weight
Definitely apply! I met many of their OOS current students during my interview. I also got in as an OOS with no ties, as did other people I met during interview day. Shoot your shot my friend

Reactions: 4 users
Definitely apply! I met many of their OOS current students during my interview. I also got in as an OOS with no ties, as did other people I met during interview day. Shoot your shot my friend
I'm applying OOS with no ties as well! With no secondary questions, I'm worried I have no way to justify my application. I guess I just have to hope it speaks for itself...

Did you end up going to Indiana? Don't mean to pry, but I'd love to hear more about it if you did.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying OOS with no ties as well! With no secondary questions, I'm worried I have no way to justify my application. I guess I just have to hope it speaks for itself...

Did you end up going to Indiana? Don't mean to pry, but I'd love to hear more about it if you did.
No problem, ask away. Yes, I will be attending as it was my top choice.
I felt the same away about them “not having enough info.” I would just recommend that you really have your primary fleshed out. They definitely read that stuff.

@BirdietheCockatiel That's awesome, congrats! I'm a reapplicant (but not to Indiana) and put a lot of care into fleshing out the primary and developing my story as much as possible, so fingers crossed.

Could you speak to why Indiana was your top choice? Was there anything you learned about during your interview that wasn't readily obvious from the website? What about your sense of the community? It's a huge school, and I've only ever been at small schools, so I'm nervous about getting lost in the crowd. Thank you!

Last edited:
Applied EDP two weeks ago. Curious to know when any other EDP applicants get something back!

I'm EDP, just got the confirmation email about 8 minutes ago. Application was processed well before data transmission, June 8th.

Last edited:
@BirdietheCockatiel That's awesome, congrats! I'm a reapplicant (but not to Indiana) and put a lot of care into fleshing out the primary and developing my story as much as possible, so fingers crossed.

Could you speak to why Indiana was your top choice? Was there anything you learned about during your interview that wasn't readily obvious from the website? What about your sense of the community? It's a huge school, and I've only ever been at small schools, so I'm nervous about getting lost in the crowd. Thank you!
Oops just saw this. Anyways, sure. First, they have a big focus on research and receive a lot of funding for it. I haven't started yet, but there seems to be many opportunities to become involved. There are also the scholarly concentrations where you can do a project with faculty. I also really like the fact that there are 9 campuses. This means that there are many versions of the same lecture that I can watch online being taught by different professors. That was a big plus for me. Also, if you choose to be placed at one of the 8 regional campuses, the class size is only 25-35 ish. You also have the option to transfer to the main campus, indianapolis, after 2 years. So, if you want that SMALL class size and more intimate experience, it's definitely an option to you. We also recently got a chief diversity faculty member who is trying to bring more support to our diverse students. Some (most?) of the campuses have student led clinics and other projects which sound like a great way to be involved in the community. I really liked how the students were so willing to talk to us during interview day. The indianapolis campus was massive, and I saw myself really happy in this program overall. You get a student mentor, and physician mentor, and (I think one more faculty advisor?) so you dont slip through the cracks. The M1s already there have been incredibly open to answering EVERY question we have in the groupme which is really helpful as well. It's also pass/fail which takes a lot of pressure off. The lectures are all recorded as I mentioned before. My fellow accepted students are incredibly friendly and even have meme wars in the groupme. I am blessed and so lucky to have gotten accepted here. I wish you all luck! Feel free to ask me more questions. I won't actually start orientation until August, so Ill answer the best I can.

Oops just saw this. Anyways, sure. First, they have a big focus on research and receive a lot of funding for it. I haven't started yet, but there seems to be many opportunities to become involved. There are also the scholarly concentrations where you can do a project with faculty. I also really like the fact that there are 9 campuses. This means that there are many versions of the same lecture that I can watch online being taught by different professors. That was a big plus for me. Also, if you choose to be placed at one of the 8 regional campuses, the class size is only 25-35 ish. You also have the option to transfer to the main campus, indianapolis, after 2 years. So, if you want that SMALL class size and more intimate experience, it's definitely an option to you. We also recently got a chief diversity faculty member who is trying to bring more support to our diverse students. Some (most?) of the campuses have student led clinics and other projects which sound like a great way to be involved in the community. I really liked how the students were so willing to talk to us during interview day. The indianapolis campus was massive, and I saw myself really happy in this program overall. You get a student mentor, and physician mentor, and (I think one more faculty advisor?) so you dont slip through the cracks. The M1s already there have been incredibly open to answering EVERY question we have in the groupme which is really helpful as well. It's also pass/fail which takes a lot of pressure off. The lectures are all recorded as I mentioned before. My fellow accepted students are incredibly friendly and even have meme wars in the groupme. I am blessed and so lucky to have gotten accepted here. I wish you all luck! Feel free to ask me more questions. I won't actually start orientation until August, so Ill answer the best I can.
Thank you! This is all super helpful. I hope they show me some love :xf:

So they sent me an email saying, thanks for the application, will notify you of our decision via email? No mention of a secondary? Is that second email their decision regarding sending a secondary? I'm applying MSTP if that makes any difference...

Members don't see this ad :)
So they sent me an email saying, thanks for the application, will notify you of our decision via email? No mention of a secondary? Is that second email their decision regarding sending a secondary? I'm applying MSTP if that makes any difference...
You're in luck, IUSM doesn't do secondaries. You'll be notified if you get an II

• Wow
You're in luck, IUSM doesn't do secondaries. You'll be notified if you get an II

giphy.gif

Woohoo! I think I saw somewhere that they require the CASPer-- does anyone know if that has to be submitted before getting an II this cycle? Will they be sending II before MCAT scores?

Woohoo! I think I saw somewhere that they require the CASPer-- does anyone know if that has to be submitted before getting an II this cycle? Will they be sending II before MCAT scores?
From what I understand from last year's thread, CASPer scores are asked for after an II is sent, but they are expected within 7 days of the email. It seems like the best course of action is to have it done asap.

Others posted that they contacted the adcom and they said the 7 day deadline wasn't strict, so if you haven't taken the test yet just take it at the next available date. I take it on the 19th.

MCAT scores I'm not sure on. Their website says you can apply without one, but that you should include the test date. It doesn't say whether they will consider you for an interview without one, though.

I had spoken to an admissions officer a few weeks ago, since my MCAT was rescheduled for July 7th. He said that EDP applications still require an MCAT score to be processed completely. So guessing no II until MCAT score is posted.

Hello, former IU Bloomington graduate, now non-trad OOS MD applicant here. Has anyone heard anything from IU yet after their primaries have been submitted? Looking at last years thread, it looks as if it took about 15 days after primary submission for anyone to hear anything back from them. Do you think they will reach out to EDP individuals first or it be everyone all at once? Good luck to everyone moving forward!

Hello, former IU Bloomington graduate, now non-trad OOS MD applicant here. Has anyone heard anything from IU yet after their primaries have been submitted? Looking at last years thread, it looks as if it took about 15 days after primary submission for anyone to hear anything back from them. Do you think they will reach out to EDP individuals first or it be everyone all at once? Good luck to everyone moving forward!
You mean heard anything as in received updates beyond the confirmation email? I don't think so. Judging from last year's thread, I'm expecting they will start sending out IIs to both IS and OOS applicants around the 31st, and if not then then within 2 weeks from there. It all depends on how much they've been delayed by COVID, though afaik they still maintain that they are not delayed at all and that we can expect a similar admission cycle this year.

If you mean anything at all, I'm an EDP applicant and I received an email from IUSM informing me that my application was received around 3 days after AMCAS transmitted my data.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was speaking about the confirmation emails specifically I should have been more clear. I have yet to receive any confirmation that IUSM has received my application materials after the verification of my primary. I was wondering if they were going to go through the process with EDPs before moving to traditional applicants.

Does anyone know how many letters are required for MD/PhD program, I know MSAR states 3 letters max, but the MSTP website says 2 faculty science mentors we have worked with are required. Does this mean 5 total, or still 3 max?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Yes I was speaking about the confirmation emails specifically I should have been more clear. I have yet to receive any confirmation that IUSM has received my application materials after the verification of my primary. I was wondering if they were going to go through the process with EDPs before moving to traditional applicants.
I'm OOS and regular decision and haven't had any confirmation or other email from IUSM.
I don't know what to expect.

I'm OOS and regular decision and haven't had any confirmation or other email from IUSM.
I don't know what to expect.

Dude this has nothing to do with Indiana but I'm a huge huge huge fan of The Sopranos and seeing your propic and username delights me to no end every time I see it. I think I love you.

giphy.gif

• Love
Dude this has nothing to do with Indiana but I'm a huge huge huge fan of The Sopranos and seeing your propic and username delights me to no end every time I see it. I think I love you.

giphy.gif

OHH there he is! The Sopranos was my stress relief working on my primary this year. Hopefully that Big Tony Energy can carry us through the secondaries too!

• Love
OHH there he is! The Sopranos was my stress relief working on my primary this year. Hopefully that Big Tony Energy can carry us through the secondaries too!

giphy.gif
(ignoring how scary this scene in this episode was)

giphy.gif

• Love
I applied EDP before AMCAS transmitted the apps on July 10th. I immediately got an e-mail from IUSM saying they had received my app, but then it was deferred due to no MCAT score. My score was released yesterday, but no word yet. I wouldn't stress this early in the cycle. Everyone is stretched thin due to COVID, and their primary responsibility is to take care of their admitted/current students.

Has anyone else received no emails from Indiana yet? I just learned that they don't do secondaries, but do they send a confirmation of some kind that they're reviewing us?

Has anyone else received no emails from Indiana yet? I just learned that they don't do secondaries, but do they send a confirmation of some kind that they're reviewing us?

I haven't gotten a confirmation email either, but my MCAT score isn't in yet as I took it on the 18th. That may be why.

I have not gotten any emails from them either

Oh? What did it say? I was under the impression we wouldn't receive anything from IU unless we received an II.

Indiana University School of Medicine Office of Admissions has received your AMCAS application. The Admissions Office will notify you of our decision via email once your application has been reviewed. We encourage applicants to check their email frequently.

Thank you for considering Indiana University School of Medicine for your medical education.

Sincerely,

Indiana University School of Medicine
Office of Admissions”

I was verified on 6/23, OOS. My stats are competitive so Idk what to make of it

I got an email today too. Verified 7/18. Maybe they’re just sending them out at random.

Yeah, I have no idea in what way they are going through the primaries as all of my information to include my primary, LORs, Casper score was ready and sent by 7/14.

Received my confirmation email today.

Yeah, I have no idea in what way they are going through the primaries as all of my information to include my primary, LORs, Casper score was ready and sent by 7/14.
They don't look at LOR or Casper until after they send out II

They might be waiting until EDP deadline passes to start sending out IIs... According to MSAR, IUSM admits heavily from the EDP pool. Just my guess though.

Just got the email that they received my app