2015-2016 Indiana University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Weren't decisions just mailed out today? Or have people been hearing back exactly on the 15th before?
I called yesterday and the staff member in the admissions office said acceptances would be mailed out the 15th of the month so hopefully that means good news soon! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No letter yet, but I did receive an email regarding their MD MBA program that said that they "looked forward to working with me". Not sure if this means anything, or if its just wishful thinking

I received my letter in the mail today. It's more of a packet really.

Reactions: 5 users
I didn't get anything either. Hopefully we'll get some good news tomorrow. I'm sick of getting my hopes up though :/

No letter yet, but I did receive an email regarding their MD MBA program that said that they "looked forward to working with me". Not sure if this means anything, or if its just wishful thinking
More wishful thinking, got the same letter too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from California received accept packet

I'm halfway in between. Nothing in the mail today :(

so is campus assignment 100% random? And when do they let us know?

Oooh so it's been a while. Has anyone heard back who interviewed on or around 1/7? This is the last round of regular acceptances, right?

so is campus assignment 100% random? And when do they let us know?
They try to match people up where they want to go as best they can. Usually, if you have a satellite campus as your first pick, you'll get it. The same is not true for the Indy campus.

This is the last round of regular acceptances, right?
That is correct. After this month, everyone is unofficially rejected or wait-listed. There's a lot of shuffling around that happens after the March acceptances and before the official decisions sent in June, so there is still hope. I think.

They try to match people up where they want to go as best they can. Usually, if you have a satellite campus as your first pick, you'll get it. The same is not true for the Indy campus.

That is correct. After this month, everyone is unofficially rejected or wait-listed. There's a lot of shuffling around that happens after the March acceptances and before the official decisions sent in June, so there is still hope. I think.
So are you saying that if we don't hear this month, we won't hear until June? And it's a wait list or rejection?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

April 15th they will send out notifications of applications that were denied and those that are wait listed as well as acceptances for April. Wait listed students can be accepted through the first week of classes in Aug.

Last edited:
April 15th they will send out notifications of applications that were denied and those that are wait listed. Wait listed students can be accepted through the first week of classes in Aug.
Talk. About. Nerve wracking.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

April 15th they will send out notifications of applications that were denied and those that are wait listed. Wait listed students can be accepted through the first week of classes in Aug.
Do you know if acceptances are still sent out on April 15th? I checked last year's thread, and several people were accepted and notified through a portal status change on the 15th. Hopefully that means they will accept another small portion of applicants in April.

Also, people didn't begin to receive waitlist emails until after April 15th. That was last year though, so things could be different this year :/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you know if acceptances are still sent out on April 15th? I checked last year's thread, and several people were accepted and notified through a portal status change on the 15th. Hopefully that means they will accept another small portion of applicants in April.

Also, people didn't begin to receive waitlist emails until after April 15th. That was last year though, so things could be different this year :/

I see the same thing as well. Do not let one person's thoughts/opinions on this process bring you down. This goes out to everyone. People post thinking they know this process and what is happening and it shatters students' dreams and they start losing hope. This probably is the case. It happened last year and not much has changed. Acceptances will be sent on April 15th more than likely. Keep hope alive.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think @Whtsupdc and others intended to dishearten the rest of us waiting. I think there has just been a lot of uncertainty about the admissions timeline! I'll definitely try to remain hopeful, but unfortunately this waiting game is really getting to me. Especially since this is the only school I want to go to.

Yes, I'm sorry. I was only addressing the wait list/ denial question that had been asked. Yes, there are acceptances sent out April 15th as well. This is what I was told by both the general IUSM interview board and again a month later from the rural health interview board - both gave the exact same dates and information, so I hope it's reliable!

Last edited:
I see the same thing as well. Do not let one person's thoughts/opinions on this process bring you down. This goes out to everyone. People post thinking they know this process and what is happening and it shatters students' dreams and they start losing hope. This probably is the case. It happened last year and not much has changed. Acceptances will be sent on April 15th more than likely. Keep hope alive.
I'm really sorry if you thought I was being negative. I really was just trying to share info that I believe to be reliable since it was told to me by two different groups of interviewers. We all deal with things differently. I deal by acquiring as much information as I can, so I thought maybe it would be helpful to others. Totally not trying to discourage! I wish everyone the very best.
Oh, and I have a friend who had given up on getting and was on vacation at the end of July when he was moved off the wait list 3 days before classes started! He and his parents were living in a hotel still trying to secure housing for him the first week of school. Very stressful, but end game -> he got in and is doing great! He just finished his 3rd year and killed it on the boards last summer! Yes! Keep hope alive!

Last edited:
This is a bit random, but I'm hoping to gain some insight into IUSM's EDP process and thought this might be a good thread for it.

Basically, IUSM is my first choice (as an in-state resident) and I'm wondering if that's enough to justify applying via ED. I've heard from many that the ED program is primarily for applicants that are bound to the area due to certain obligations (family, job, etc.), so mainly I'm curious whether or not a strong desire to attend IUSM would be a good reason to apply via ED.

My stats are 3.7 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA, and 514 MCAT. Extracurriculars are roughly average, with the exception of about 1500 as an ER PCT.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry if you thought I was being negative. I really was just trying to share info that I believe to be reliable since it was told to me by two different groups of interviewers. We all deal with things differently. I deal by acquiring as much information as I can, so I thought maybe it would be helpful to others. Totally not trying to discourage! I wish everyone the very best.
Oh, and I have a friend who had given up on getting and was on vacation at the end of July when he was moved off the wait list 3 days before classes started! He and his parents were living in a hotel still trying to secure housing for him the first week of school. Very stressful, but end game -> he got in and is doing great! He just finished his 3rd year and killed it on the boards last summer! Yes! Keep hope alive!

Thanks for clearing it up! I have a friend who also got in two days before classes started and he had already accepted and moved for a DO school! He packed up and left and came to IU. But that is all way too stressful!! Lolol

This is a bit random, but I'm hoping to gain some insight into IUSM's EDP process and thought this might be a good thread for it.

Basically, IUSM is my first choice (as an in-state resident) and I'm wondering if that's enough to justify applying via ED. I've heard from many that the ED program is primarily for applicants that are bound to the area due to certain obligations (family, job, etc.), so mainly I'm curious whether or not a strong desire to attend IUSM would be a good reason to apply via ED.

My stats are 3.7 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA, and 514 MCAT. Extracurriculars are roughly average, with the exception of about 1500 as an ER PCT.
My understanding is that anyone who is sure this is the school they want can apply ED. The limitation is that you can't apply anywhere else and that you agree to take the spot if they accept you.
From the IUSM site. ..
Early Decision Applicants (EDP) must have a minimum cumulative and science GPA of 3.6, 30 MCAT with no individual score below 8 (old MCAT) or 509 and an individual score (Confidence Band) between 125-127 (new MCAT), and apply by August 3.

Last edited:

Thank you for the information. However I was accepted yesterday, and the mailing indicates that we do not list preferences. All we do is wait until we get randomly assigned a campus, and then we have the opportunity to appeal.

Thank you for the information. However I was accepted yesterday, and the mailing indicates that we do not list preferences. All we do is wait until we get randomly assigned a campus, and then we have the opportunity to appeal.
Once your portal is updated to reflect your acceptance you should be able to rank your campus preference there.

Accepted! OOS Biochemistry/Neuroscience/Chemical Engineering 3.91 GPA/517 MCAT

I'm going to withdraw though because financially it makes no sense to attend this school with OOS tuition. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users

IU is different from a lot of schools in that they strongly encourage EDP and sweeten the pot with the incentive of guaranteeing campus choice. It also gives you great odds. Your stats are good enough. My advisor encourages us to meet with a Dean in order for them to determine if we were viable candidates. I know of only two people that didn't get in and one of them didn't get in anywhere for two cycles because of their attitude.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

That saddens me. I hope you achieve your dreams. Keep fighting for it! Do not let this stop you. I'm not sure how certain people get in and people who deserve a chance get left behind but keep hope alive! Good luck.
Thank you, I appreciate that and I am still pursuing my dream.

To anyone accepted this round: whenever portals update, please let us know! (so I can know when to stop obsessively checking my own)

Accepted! OOS Biochemistry/Neuroscience/Chemical Engineering 3.91 GPA/517 MCAT

I'm going to withdraw though because financially it makes no sense to attend this school with OOS tuition. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Wow! Congrats, you definitely earned that acceptance!

Anyone receive a background check email?????

Oh how I long to receive a background check email

IU is different from a lot of schools in that they strongly encourage EDP and sweeten the pot with the incentive of guaranteeing campus choice. It also gives you great odds. Your stats are good enough. My advisor encourages us to meet with a Dean in order for them to determine if we were viable candidates. I know of only two people that didn't get in and one of them didn't get in anywhere for two cycles because of their attitude.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

Thank you very much for the insight!

Congrats!! So you found out through a background check email first??
Thank you!!! I only interviewed at two schools so im honestly not sure if it was for this school or the other one. Im going to assume it was for indiana since i got the background check email and acceptance letter on the same day also i dont have a decision for the other school yet lol

Received an email this morning about campus preferences and now my portal reflects accepted. Interviewed 11/4. OOS. Long turn around!

Well for everyone whose portal still shows "Under Consideration", here's to hoping we don't get an email in the next week