2015-2016 Indiana University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Neither email nor letter today :/

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing here :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Cheer up guys, there's probably still quite a bit of movement to come. They only just released the alternate list you know!

Reactions: 1 users
Cheer up guys, there's probably still quite a bit of movement to come. They only just released the alternate list you know!

Nothing on my end. I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit disheartened. I have it in my head that this is the year they might only accept a couple off the list.
But thanks for your optimism! It really helps, considering its been a rough week for me in general.

Oh man. I'm sorry everyone :(
If it helps (and for future readers), here is what I did throughout the year because my interviewer told me that my science GPA was on the low side during my interview:
(future readers, message me if you'd like to know! I deleted because of too much personal info)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Accepted off the waitlist. Email at 4pm today but didn't know til 10pm when my mom called me about the letter sent to parents' house

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any of my fellow rejectees call about their application yet? I had my appointment today, and we went over EVERYTHING on my application, and it was super helpful. The one single thing responsible for the rejection was my grades, specifically one year's gpa. It was a rough year in my life, and I addressed that in both my personal statement and my interview, but with medical school being as competitive as it is, my gpa just didn't cut it. She said the rest of my application looked great, my interview went well, and I am almost guaranteed an interview when I reapply. It was strongly suggested that I enroll in a masters program, and the Masters of Physiology program at Ball State was recommended. I'm glad to have a starting point now.

Reactions: 2 users
Any of my fellow rejectees call about their application yet? I had my appointment today, and we went over EVERYTHING on my application, and it was super helpful. The one single thing responsible for the rejection was my grades, specifically one year's gpa. It was a rough year in my life, and I addressed that in both my personal statement and my interview, but with medical school being as competitive as it is, my gpa just didn't cut it. She said the rest of my application looked great, my interview went well, and I am almost guaranteed an interview when I reapply. It was strongly suggested that I enroll in a masters program, and the Masters of Physiology program at Ball State was recommended. I'm glad to have a starting point now.
Glad to hear it. I have been rooting for you. Hope the next cycle is better. Are you planning to do the Master's?

That's actually really nice and considerate of them to do.

It has been quite a while since anyone has posted.. Anyone get good news yet? It's still early July, right..? :c

Reactions: 1 users
Glad to hear it. I have been rooting for you. Hope the next cycle is better. Are you planning to do the Master's?
Yeah. I still have one thing to finish before I can start, but I'm excited about the next step. I don't know if I'll be able to start in the fall or if I'll have to wait a semester or two. But it will happen, and Imma rock it.

One of Facebook friends/ someone I knew from undergrad just got accepted today. Kinda bummed I haven't heard anything still.

Hello everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right thread for these questions, but here goes. IU is my school of choice and I'm just starting premed, when you did premed, what courses did you take and where? IU doesn't list any math courses as a requirement, is this accurate? What was your GPA and MCAT when you applied? What degree did you have? What extracurriculars did you do, how much shadowing, any research? Do they care about your overall GPA or just your science GPA? Does your science GPA mean all science courses, or just those that relate to premed? I'm struggling on whether I should spring for a BS in something while minoring in premed, or just make premed my focus and get to the required 90 credit hours that IU asks for, since it says MOST matriculate with a BA or BS, I'm wondering if it's possible to get in with an AS + premed courses instead. Any guidance you can give me would be much appreciated! I have no friends in the program and none of my current professors seem to know anything about it.

Late post, got accepted 6/13.
Stats:
IS

I'm not sure if anyone is still watching this thread... but, I'm currently applying to IUSM and I'm wondering if any of you could give me the student's view of each campus? AKA- how much do all the students study together and get to know the professors? Do people actually go to lecture or do you all watch the recordings? Do you feel like you've gotten to know each other and have the support of the professors when you're struggling etc... Really any info you could offer to help me choose a campus would be great.

I'm not actually in med school yet, but I have had several friends attend the FW campus. I know that in Fort Wayne, the profs are really invested in their students' success, and are available to answer all kinds of questions. They'll come down during open lab times and ask how you're doing with different topics. I can't speak to the other parts of your question(s).

But you don't have to worry about that for a while. Campus selection isn't until the spring, unless you're EDP.