2015-2016 Indiana University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there another acceptance round in April?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

have there been any acceptances for people who interviewed after the new year??

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there another acceptance round in April?

I think this was the last round of "regular acceptances", but if you look at last year's thread there were a number of people that got accepted on April 15th along with the release of the alternate list.

Are they sending rejections via email within the next week?

From looking through the IUSM threads (and unfortunately from personal experience) it seems like the rejection emails always come at the very end of the month.

nervous-gif.gif

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed on 10/15 and haven't heard back since. Does this mean I will get a waitlist/rejection letter on 4/15?

I interviewed on 10/15 and haven't heard back since. Does this mean I will get a waitlist/rejection letter on 4/15?

The other two extremes are also possible... that you could get bad news via email at the end of this month, or you could get accepted outright on 4/15.

But yeah, those seem like the two most likely scenarios. I'm in a similar situation.

The other two extremes are also possible... that you could get bad news via email at the end of this month, or you could get accepted outright on 4/15.

But yeah, those seem like the two most likely scenarios. I'm in a similar situation.
Same. I interviewed 9/9. I was really hoping I would have heard back by now. If I don't get accepted, I'll have to retake the MCAT...for the 4th time, even though my most recent score is competitive. Thanks, new MCAT.

Same. I interviewed 9/9. I was really hoping I would have heard back by now. If I don't get accepted, I'll have to retake the MCAT...for the 4th time, even though my most recent score is competitive. Thanks, new MCAT.

I feel your pain. Hopefully I will know whether I am accepted or not before May so that I can study and retake the MCAT in June :(

Reactions: 2 users
have there been any acceptances for people who interviewed after the new year??

I'm suuper curious about this too. I interviewed on 1/6 and haven't heard anything, but idk if that's bad news or just how the timing worked out.

I'm suuper curious about this too. I interviewed on 1/6 and haven't heard anything, but idk if that's bad news or just how the timing worked out.
Interviewed then too. I haven't seen anyone be accepted from that date or later. Do you think everyone was interviewing for the wait list at that point?

Members don't see this ad :)
This was my second time reapplying. Interviewed back in November, but still no word. 33 MCAT and 3.75 GPA biochemistry major with a minor in molecular biology. Shadowing, 5 years of research with a publication, volunteered at a hospital for 3 years, and a lot of other diverse aspects on my app (piano, guitar, marathon runner...). I'm looking for some feedback into whether or not it would be worth it to reapply to medical school a third time. If not, what other career options are available for someone in my position? Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

This was my second time reapplying. Interviewed back in November, but still no word. 33 MCAT and 3.75 GPA biochemistry major with a minor in molecular biology. Shadowing, 5 years of research with a publication, volunteered at a hospital for 3 years, and a lot of other diverse aspects on my app (piano, guitar, marathon runner...). I'm looking for some feedback into whether or not it would be worth it to reapply to medical school a third time. If not, what other career options are available for someone in my position? Any feedback would be much appreciated!!
Need more information on what schools you applied to, how many IIs, how many gap years?? Do you have any red flags? With your few details, sort of a mystery why you have been unsuccessful for 2 cycles. PM if you don't want to share publicly, and I'll see what I can do. Also, the WAMC forum is a good place to ask about school lists, etc. if you are willing to share more details.

Wow, that's very surprising. Have you contacted any schools in the past to ask about what opportunities for improvement they saw? Some schools will be very frank with you and tell you very specifically why you didn't get accepted.

Need more information on what schools you applied to, how many IIs, how many gap years?? Do you have any red flags? With your few details, sort of a mystery why you have been unsuccessful for 2 cycles. PM if you don't want to share publicly, and I'll see what I can do. Also, the WAMC forum is a good place to ask about school lists, etc. if you are willing to share more details.
I applied to OSU, University of Cincinnati, NEOMED, Wright State, Toledo, Temple, Indiana University, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, UNC, George Washington University, Georgetown, Penn State, Rush, Pitt, University of South Carolina, Wake Forrest, and WVU. I am an Ohio resident. This is my first year out of undergrad, which I am spending earning a masters degree. Only 2 IIs. Aside from a speeding ticket, no other red flags as far as I know.

Wow, that's very surprising. Have you contacted any schools in the past to ask about what opportunities for improvement they saw? Some schools will be very frank with you and tell you very specifically why you didn't get accepted.
I asked a few schools. Some said the interview didn't go well. Others said that my app was too research heavy and that I'd be better in research, which I found to be a little strange.

I applied to OSU, University of Cincinnati, NEOMED, Wright State, Toledo, Temple, Indiana University, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, UNC, George Washington University, Georgetown, Penn State, Rush, Pitt, University of South Carolina, Wake Forrest, and WVU. I am an Ohio resident. This is my first year out of undergrad, which I am spending earning a masters degree. Only 2 IIs. Aside from a speeding ticket, no other red flags as far as I know.
Given your stats, you should have rec'd more IS love. Also, your other schools are pretty low yield, as they get a TON of apps. Why didn't you apply to some of the other midwest schools that don't get so many apps (Loyola, Iowa, MCW, Western Michigan, Oakland)?

I suspect your PS and essays are lacking. I would strongly recommend getting an english major to help you craft your story. The PS is not a laundry list of what you did, but more a story of your journey toward medicine. I credit my editors with helping me with the arc of my story, getting my paragraph transitions to flow seamlessly. It was my story, but they made me sound so much more interesting. I also spent a huge amount of time crafting EC and secondary essay descriptions to not just say what I did, but what I got out of it, how I it helped me grow as a person. Again, get folks to help you with the grammar, flow, etc.

You may need more clinical exposure. Not sure why you are doing a MS degree, as your GPA is fine. I think you had bad luck in your school selection, or there is something missing.

I asked a few schools. Some said the interview didn't go well. Others said that my app was too research heavy and that I'd be better in research, which I found to be a little strange.
Ah, you need present yourself as Patient focused. Need to explain why you want to go to med school versus PhD. If you can't answer that clearly and convincingly, that may be the issue. Did you do service work, and did your volunteering revolve around the underserved or poor?? Did you have enough clinical exposure, not just research and MS. (Need to get off campus and into the real world). I would highly recommend scribing in an ED (Disclosure, I'm a chief scribe). Get out of the lab and into situations with people, and not pipettes!! THat is probably your weakness in med school apps. OSU especially looks for people with the 3 pillars: Research, Teaching and CLinical. You have the research, but need the other 2 pillars. Once you correct that, I think you will have more success.

Given your stats, you should have rec'd more IS love. Also, your other schools are pretty low yield, as they get a TON of apps. Why didn't you apply to some of the other midwest schools that don't get so many apps (Loyola, Iowa, MCW, Western Michigan, Oakland)?

I suspect you PS and essays are lacking. I would strongly recommend getting an english major to help you craft your story. The PS is not a laundry list of what you did, but more a story of your journey toward medicine. I credit my editors with helping me with the arc of my story, getting my paragraph transitions to flow seamlessly. It was my story, but they made me sound so much more interesting. I also spent a huge amount of time crafting EC and secondary essay descriptions to not just say what I did, but what I got out of it, how I it helped me grow as a person. Again, get folks to help you with the grammar, flow, etc.

You may need more clinical exposure. Not sure why you are doing a MS degree, as your GPA is fine. I think you had bad luck in your school selection, or there is something missing.
This time around, I had several physicians and english majors review my PS and my activities, as well as my secondary essays. As far as the master's degree, its more of a fallback in the (seemingly likely) event that I don't make the cut this round. I had roughly 150 hours of shadowing, so its certainly possible that my research-to-shadowing ratio favors the research as opposed to the shadowing. I think you are certainly right in that I applied to schools that receive a high volume of apps, but I was really hoping for more in-state interviews. But thank you so much for your feedback! I really appreciate the help

Ah, you need present yourself as Patient focused. Need to explain why you want to go to med school versus PhD. If you can't answer that clearly and convincingly, that may be the issue. Did you do service work, and did your volunteer revolve around the underserved or poor?? Did you have enough clinical exposure, not just research and MS. (Need to get off campus and into the real world). I would highly recommend scribing in an ED (Disclosure, I'm a chief scribe). Get out of the lab and into situations with people, and not pipettes!! THat is probably your weakness in med school apps. OSU especially looks for people with the 3 pillars: Research, Teaching and CLinical. You have the research, but need the other 2 pillars. Once you correct that, I think you will have more success.
I did volunteering in a rural area and also worked as a tutor for 3 years. But you are certainly right in that I spent more time in the lab vs. working with people. Thanks for the help!

I did volunteering in a rural area and also worked as a tutor for 3 years. But you are certainly right in that I spent more time in the lab vs. working with people. Thanks for the help!
Well, good luck to you. This may be a case of just bad luck, and not being able to close in the interview. Try mock interviews with your campus career center. THey should be able to see if you have some off putting tic or some manner of presenting yourself that could be easily corrected. Go to the OSU admissions website, and there is a good writeup and video from Dr. Capers about interviewing. Really helped me out. Again, best wishes to you.

I second the schools mentioned above. Oakland seems to like research. If you choose to go DO, Ohio U even has DO/PhD program and research opportunities.

A few questions for those accepted. First, has anyone received a financial aid package? Does anyone know when they are expected? Also, when sending transcripts, can we have them emailed, or do I need to have them mailed? The email is cheaper and faster, not that speed is an issue since my medical stuff won't be done for a while.

Well, good luck to you. This may be a case of just bad luck, and not being able to close in the interview. Try mock interviews with your campus career center. THey should be able to see if you have some off putting tic or some manner of presenting yourself that could be easily corrected. Go to the OSU admissions website, and there is a good writeup and video from Dr. Capers about interviewing. Really helped me out. Again, best wishes to you.
Thanks again for the advice! I think I'll take one more crack at it and hope for the best

Reactions: 1 user
Received notice of a merit scholarship offer today, just in case anyone was wondering whether or not they were still giving some out!

Anyone accepted this week/last week not receive their acceptance letter in the mail yet?

Interviewed then too. I haven't seen anyone be accepted from that date or later. Do you think everyone was interviewing for the wait list at that point?

I interviewed 1/6 and was accepted on Tuesday

Does anyone know about the campus assigning? IUSM says they are going to assign campus in April, but what date exactly?
I am graduating (and most of you are also :) ) and moving out, so I really want to know my campus assignment ASAP.
Also, what is the likelihood that people get their 1st choice? I put Indy as my 1st choice, but I think there are more people who want to go to Indy than the spaces that Indy can offer.

More waiting :/

It happened around April 15th last year. I am more interested in the full financial aid package.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

I set my account and passphrase on tuesday, but I cannot login through applicant portal. Anyone else having trouble?

I set my account and passphrase on tuesday, but I cannot login through applicant portal. Anyone else having trouble?
Ive been having the same problem since tuesday. I called admissions yesterday and they said it takes 5 business days for everything to start working properly

Hi everyone! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I really hate to be "that person" but I was wondering what some of the stats are for IS people who have been accepted. I am applying next year (at the end of my senior year since I am taking a gap year) and my gpa is a bit lower with a 3.0 freshman-sophomore and then planning on continuing this streak of a 3.8+ junior-senior year. I just wanted to see how I compare and the other chances threads seem to be too broad since I am mainly interested in IU. Thanks!!

Ive been having the same problem since tuesday. I called admissions yesterday and they said it takes 5 business days for everything to start working properly

Gottcha, we will soon hit 5 business days haha. Is there a facebook page for accepted students?

Congrats everyone.. hoping to get good news next month along with everyone else waiting still!

Hello everyone! I am currently an IS undergraduate sophomore. I know that several of you that I have been accepted have posted your stats, and this is really helpful! Seeing that stats really give me the boost I need to keep pressing hard through this coursework! haha! I would appreciate sGPA and cGPA. Thanks guys!

Hello everyone! I am currently an IS undergraduate sophomore. I know that several of you that I have been accepted have posted your stats, and this is really helpful! Seeing that stats really give me the boost I need to keep pressing hard through this coursework! haha! I would appreciate sGPA and cGPA. Thanks guys!

Just have the goal of 4.0

It is that simple

Has anyone received bad news? It's about that time of the month.

interviewed 01/06 and haven't heard anything since. patiently waiting by checking this thread on a daily basis...

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in exactly the same boat. Down to the interview date. And the daily checking.
I'm not sure where they are in their timeline, but I had a pretty long wait time. 11/4 interview, March acceptance (OOS). Pretty much everything having to do with this school has been at a very slow pace.