2015-2016 Indiana University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If only there were any waitlisted... interviewed in September and nothing still.
we should be hearing about it by the 15th, hopefully sooner.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard about alternate lists yet?
Alternate list email this morning. OOS. Email says 100 were selected with about half being offered a seat in previous years. It starts off with congratulations . . Congratulations! Flip a coin for your future :grumpy:

Reactions: 2 users
Placed on the alternate list this morning! Also OOS, let's hope more than half are given a seat this year :xf::xf:

Reactions: 3 users
Alternate list email this morning. OOS. Email says 100 were selected with about half being offered a seat in previous years. It starts off with congratulations . . Congratulations! Flip a coin for your future :grumpy:
OOS Alternate as well. But it's better than a rejection!

Reactions: 3 users
I did not get the alternate list email.

So I called the admissions office and asked if they were still sending out acceptance letters for those who hadn't heard anything yet, and was given the answer, "The board still meets to review applications, and we have until June 1st." She did not give a definite answer as to whether or not they would be sending out a round of acceptances this month. I don't know about anyone else who is still "under consideration, " but I'm going to start filling out AMCAS because at this point, I'm not expecting to get an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS alternate! Better than a rejection! Hoping this is good news for later! Still studying for the new MCAT and filling out AMCAS though.

Reactions: 1 users

So I called the admissions office and asked if they were still sending out acceptance letters for those who hadn't heard anything yet, and was given the answer, "The board still meets to review applications, and we have until June 1st." She did not give a definite answer as to whether or not they would be sending out a round of acceptances this month. I don't know about anyone else who is still "under consideration, " but I'm going to start filling out AMCAS because at this point, I'm not expecting to get an acceptance.

Same here. I'm still under consideration as well, but last year they didn't send out the mass rejections until the week after the wait list was released. I really wish they'd have the courtesy to reject people in a timely manner, because a silent rejection is just cruel.

I'm wondering where the in state alternate list is...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

IS got the alternate list email this morning as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

So now I just have to hope that 101 spots open up.

So how many on each alternate list?

100 OOS and however many IS or is there just one list with everyone IS and OOS that make up appx 100?

I thought there was only one list but after reading the thread, I'm confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how many on each alternate list?

100 OOS and however many IS or is there just one list with everyone IS and OOS that make up appx 100?

I thought there was only one list but after reading the thread, I'm confused.

I don't think there are 2 lists, I think there's just one that includes both IS and OOS but I could be wrong. That post by @hoosierMD92 confused me too

Alternate list this morning as well. OOS. Third waitlist now this cycle. Getting pretty good at this waiting thing. :corny:

...... But I am going to go ahead and start the reapplication cycle. Ha

I don't think there are 2 lists, I think there's just one that includes both IS and OOS but I could be wrong. That post by @hoosierMD92 confused me too

Just one list of 100. I think hoosierMD just meant no one from IS had posted about being an alternate

Just one list of 100. I think hoosierMD just meant no one from IS had posted about being an alternate
That is correct! Still sad I haven't gotten an email. Hopefully is hadn't gone out to everyone yet

Woke up to an alternate list email this morning *eyeroll*
OOS w/ 'strong Indiana ties'

That is correct! Still sad I haven't gotten an email. Hopefully is hadn't gone out to everyone yet

As Hodes said, they probably haven't yet sent out all the alternate list spots yet. Especially since their portal says "everyone will receive a decision by June 1", ambiguous as that is. Hoping you all get spots as well! Maybe 100/100 can be offered spots this year. :D

Check your portals if you haven't heard back yet! Mine switched to alternate the day I got the email.

I've been doing some thinking, and I have decided to wait a year to reapply. This way, I won't be rushed as I study for the new MCAT and I can really increase my clinical experience. Immediate reapplication was the plan until I realized that this year's application would look almost identical to last year's, and that neither looks good nor makes sense. Don't get me wrong, I think my application was pretty strong, especially since they received it in August and I got an interview spot in September, but seeing a year of no growth (on paper), no new EC's, and no shadowing/volunteering would be looked upon disfavorably. So I'm waiting a year. Granted, I haven't received a rejection letter yet, but I've been waiting to hear back since September. I'm most likely not getting in.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I've been doing some thinking, and I have decided to wait a year to reapply. This way, I won't be rushed as I study for the new MCAT and I can really increase my clinical experience. Immediate reapplication was the plan until I realized that this year's application would look almost identical to last year's, and that neither looks good nor makes sense. Don't get me wrong, I think my application was pretty strong, especially since they received it in August and I got an interview spot in September, but seeing a year of no growth (on paper), no new EC's, and no shadowing/volunteering would be looked upon disfavorably. So I'm waiting a year. Granted, I haven't received a rejection letter yet, but I've been waiting to hear back since September. I'm most likely not getting in.

I was advised to to the same thing last year but didn't. I was on a waitlist but decided to retake my MCAT and reapply. The problem was that I took the August 22nd MCAT, making my application extremely late. I rushed the studying process and didn't get the score I wanted. I was still given interviews and am on waitlists now, but if I don't get in I am absolutely taking a year off to reapply the right way. But I am desperately hoping I get off the waitlist and don't have to even consider doing all that again haha

I have been rooting for you all season, and I think it is a good idea. You can focus on making improvements to your application, show them that you can handle new MCAT, volunteering, work etc. with your new baby. I think you will be stronger in the end as a result.

I would wait and talk with admissions if you receive a rejection. They should be able to tell you where you can improve on your application and interview. Since you had such an early interview, I would think that your application is fine. It may be that you just need to improve on your interview skills. If it is just your interview that needs work, I wouldn't think that a gap year would be necessary. I'm in the same boat as well, and I was told that my interview wasn't stellar which is why I'm still "under consideration."

I would wait and talk with admissions if you receive a rejection. They should be able to tell you where you can improve on your application and interview. Since you had such an early interview, I would think that your application is fine. It may be that you just need to improve on your interview skills. If it is just your interview that needs work, I wouldn't think that a gap year would be necessary. I'm in the same boat as well, and I was told that my interview wasn't stellar which is why I'm still "under consideration."

So you got feedback from the admissions office before they even issued a decision? Nice. Maybe I'll do the same.

Are people accepted from the alternate list eligible for need-based scholarships? I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this Bc after looking through some of the financial aid page, I'm seeing that there's a May 31 deadline for completing some form to be considered for a scholarship. What about the people accepted after May 31? Is the form only provided to accepted students or should alternates somehow find a copy and submit it just in case?

Just trying to find a way to keep high hopes on the list

Last edited:
Or are they just out of luck if accepted after May 31st? Lol

So you got feedback from the admissions office before they even issued a decision? Nice. Maybe I'll do the same.
I only got feedback on my rural health application.

Does anyone know the deadline for the second chance lottery?

My portal still says "under consideration". At this point it's basically a rejection lol.

My portal still says "under consideration". At this point it's basically a rejection lol.

"Under consideration," as in, "the date on which they will mail my rejection letter is under consideration."

Okay so I interviewed here 9/9 last year and I have not heard a peep from them ever since. What is the deal over here? It says on our portal that everyone will receive a decision by June 1st. OOS KY applicant with strong Indiana ties.

Okay so I interviewed here 9/9 last year and I have not heard a peep from them ever since. What is the deal over here? It says on our portal that everyone will receive a decision by June 1st. OOS KY applicant with strong Indiana ties.

IUSM has historical tendency to wait as long as possible before sending out rejections. In the past, a significant number of people have been rejected in the week following the release of the wait list. While it is technically possible that some of us could still be accepted by June 1st, the most likely scenario is that anyone still under consideration is going to get a rejection email fairly soon, quite possibly on Friday. Not trying to be a pessimist, just trying to be pragmatic.

Are people accepted from the alternate list eligible for need-based scholarships? I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this Bc after looking through some of the financial aid page, I'm seeing that there's a May 31 deadline for completing some form to be considered for a scholarship. What about the people accepted after May 31? Is the form only provided to accepted students or should alternates somehow find a copy and submit it just in case?

Just trying to find a way to keep high hopes on the list

I believe so. Need based are given based on fafsa. I'm a first year at IU and need based scholarships didn't even go out until end of September

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

IUSM has historical tendency to wait as long as possible before sending out rejections. In the past, a significant number of people have been rejected in the week following the release of the wait list. While it is technically possible that some of us could still be accepted by June 1st, the most likely scenario is that anyone still under consideration is going to get a rejection email fairly soon, quite possibly on Friday. Not trying to be a pessimist, just trying to be pragmatic.

No worries that's not being negative, you are just tryna keep it real. So if we have not received a waitlist letter/offer yet that means we most likely will get the hammer? I have not heard anything from them ever since my interview. Thank goodness I'm not entirely counting on this school. Been accepted to 3 others. I was just curious as to why I haven't heard in so long. Thanks for the info!! :D

I think I'm going to die if they don't update my portal soon. Even a rejection. I'd just like to know, you know? :arghh::eek:;)

Reactions: 7 users

I've been rooting for you all year. Sorry to hear that it's not looking good.
I second the person who gave advice about talking to the admissions committee. If you got an interview, I'm afraid that could be your issue. I had very weak extracurriculars, little clinical experience, and no research when I applied, and I got in. I'm not saying that an extra year of extracurriculars wouldn't help, I just don't think it'd be worth taking an extra year if that's not why you're struggling to get in. Also, when you decide to reapply, consider doing the early admission program. If your gpa and mcat meet the cutoff, the acceptance rate seems very high in EDP, and you'll know much earlier.
Whatever you decide to do, I know you'll get there one way or another. You seem like someone who will be a great doctor.

Anyone have their under consideration changed yet?

Anyone have their under consideration changed yet?

Nope, still "Under Consideration". I'm already gearing up to submit my 2017 AMCAS in a few weeks. Although it would be nice to get an official decision so that I can 1) retain my sanity and 2) get some feedback on my application. At this point, I'm going to have like 10 days to address any unexpected feedback that I get from the admissions board.

Nope, still "Under Consideration". I'm already gearing up to submit my 2017 AMCAS in a few weeks. Although it would be nice to get an official decision so that I can 1) retain my sanity and 2) get some feedback on my application. At this point, I'm going to have like 10 days to address any unexpected feedback that I get from the admissions board.
I'm contemplating sending them a rejection letter...

Reactions: 7 users
Or I might just respond to my rejection email.... "LOL I know"