2014-2015 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if they will give out more acceptances in April? Or is it onto waitlist/rejections now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Peoria isn't that far away from Champaign if they won't let you stay in Champaign. :)
That's pretty terrible news for anyone that's still "Decision Pending." It basically amounts to the # of Urbana slots being subtracted from the total # of slots available at the other 3 locations. I suppose it's possible that UIC will try to cram the number of students that usually fit into N campuses into N-1 campuses, but I think it's more likely that they will simply elect to give out fewer than usual number of additional acceptances beyond this point.

So I spoke with the the office of admissions today, or they spoke with me, however you want to look at it. But anyway, I am scheduled to spend all four years at Urbana/Champaign, but the M2-M4 curriculum has not been finalized. From what they told me, they are planning on and dedicated to having a normal group (I don't know how many people "normal" is) planning to stay at Urbana for all four years. They said there is still a slight chance that they won't be able to have students stay for all four years, but that it's not very likely and that if they do end up not being able to stay, they will be moved to a different campus of their choice at that time. They didn't seem too worried that that was going to happen though. So basically, I don't think this should affect the overall enrollment of UIC college of medicine this year, especially because the Urbana campus generally has so few students anyway. Also, I have no idea what this means for future years

I'm pretty sure this has been a pretty crazy couple of weeks for them as they figure out what to do in regards to UIUC announcing their plans for a new school.

Reactions: 1 user
So I spoke with the the office of admissions today, or they spoke with me, however you want to look at it. But anyway, I am scheduled to spend all four years at Urbana/Champaign, but the M2-M4 curriculum has not been finalized. From what they told me, they are planning on and dedicated to having a normal group (I don't know how many people "normal" is) planning to stay at Urbana for all four years. They said there is still a slight chance that they won't be able to have students stay for all four years, but that it's not very likely and that if they do end up not being able to stay, they will be moved to a different campus of their choice at that time. They didn't seem too worried that that was going to happen though. So basically, I don't think this should affect the overall enrollment of UIC college of medicine this year, especially because the Urbana campus generally has so few students anyway. Also, I have no idea what this means for future years

I'm pretty sure this has been a pretty crazy couple of weeks for them as they figure out what to do in regards to UIUC announcing their plans for a new school.

That's interesting. I wonder why they're moving people out of Urbana if not everyone will move. And why is the curriculum changing? Strange. Did you petition to get switched initially and then change your mind?

That's interesting. I wonder why they're moving people out of Urbana if not everyone will move. And why is the curriculum changing? Strange. Did you petition to get switched initially and then change your mind?
This is what I gleamed my conversation earlier: The initial calls we received were poorly communicated. They more wanted to make sure everyone attending the Urbana campus new about the situation and give them the option to leave if they weren't comfortable with it. It wasn't really meant to say "We're shutting down this campus and you have to pick a different campus now" which is how I interpreted it, and I'm sure you did as well. I dunno, it's all kind of weird.

As far as the curriculum goes, I have no idea what they meant when they said it's not finalized yet. And I had not petitioned to switch. I requested to be in Urbana.

This is what I gleamed my conversation earlier: The initial calls we received were poorly communicated. They more wanted to make sure everyone attending the Urbana campus new about the situation and give them the option to leave if they weren't comfortable with it. It wasn't really meant to say "We're shutting down this campus and you have to pick a different campus now" which is how I interpreted it, and I'm sure you did as well. I dunno, it's all kind of weird.

As far as the curriculum goes, I have no idea what they meant when they said it's not finalized yet. And I had not petitioned to switch. I requested to be in Urbana.

Interesting. I submitted a petition to switch as a result of the issues with the MD PhD program I had which I mentioned in this thread before. And when they called me they said it was regarding that petition, but then they framed it as something they were doing because of the new medical school and when I inquired further they said that they were moving the people placed in Urbana to other campuses. So i guess that fits with your version of the story as well. It's still strange though. But i'm not complaining, that's for sure. I said this before but it bodes very well for UIC that they care so much about their students.

Based on last year's thread, at least, it looks like they were still giving out acceptances through the end of May. Not sure how that changes with the Urbana Med School situation though...

Interesting. I submitted a petition to switch as a result of the issues with the MD PhD program I had which I mentioned in this thread before. And when they called me they said it was regarding that petition, but then they framed it as something they were doing because of the new medical school and when I inquired further they said that they were moving the people placed in Urbana to other campuses. So i guess that fits with your version of the story as well. It's still strange though. But i'm not complaining, that's for sure. I said this before but it bodes very well for UIC that they care so much about their students.
Haha, that is weird. I kind of feel like nobody really knows what is going on. And I agree, they have treated me very well throughout all this and, even though there have been some misunderstandings (perhaps on my part as well), they have been very helpful.

Just got the final decision status with ADDITIONAL Correspondance in the yellow box. Please tell me this is good news! Best wishes!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Based on last year's thread, at least, it looks like they were still giving out acceptances through the end of May. Not sure how that changes with the Urbana Med School situation though...
Does anyone know the probability from SDN (or other source) experience on how a ratio of acceptance/decision pending applicants exists?

Just got the "UIC Campus Housing Welcomes You!" emails with the line "Congratulations on being accepted to UIC!" heading the message, so I'm feeling a little better about the additional correspondence tab being the real deal :p Best wishes to all other additional correspondence peeps, here's hoping for a fat packet next week :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the "UIC Campus Housing Welcomes You!" emails with the line "Congratulations on being accepted to UIC!" heading the message, so I'm feeling a little better about the additional correspondence tab being the real deal :p Best wishes to all other additional correspondence peeps, here's hoping for a fat packet next week :)
I just got this too!! =D

Any other additional correspondence people NOT get this email ? :shrug:

Additional correspondence 3/26 + UIC housing email today

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Any other additional correspondence people NOT get this email ? :shrug:

+1. I wasn't very hopeful at first, but now I'm definitely pessimistic about my "additional correspondence" tab. It's very possible we might be the select few who get a rejection letter out of this, but of course nothing is set in stone until the letter arrives.

+1. I wasn't very hopeful at first, but now I'm definitely pessimistic about my "additional correspondence" tab. It's very possible we might be the select few who get a rejection letter out of this, but of course nothing is set in stone until the letter arrives.

Relax peeps. You are most likely fine. Someone has to send these emails out. It's not a perfect process.

Relax peeps. You are most likely fine. Someone has to send these emails out. It's not a perfect process.

Yes, there were accepted students earlier in the thread who did not receive the UIC housing email before the acceptance letter. Nothing is over unless the thin letter comes - which, most likely, will not be the case!

Hahaha all of your optimism is definitely infectious! I always assumed some of these e-mail systems were automated so I guess that is where I went wrong. In any case, I'll be eagerly checking the mail this upcoming week.

.....................acceptance letter and package just came in too!!

Adding: Arrived at my house in Michigan.

How long does it take before mail arrives? It says 2 weeks but I am assuming before that. Also what is confidence level for additional correspondence message? Thanks!

How long does it take before mail arrives? It says 2 weeks but I am assuming before that. Also what is confidence level for additional correspondence message? Thanks!
I just called the office and they said that as of April 1st the additional correspondence tab now means that you have been blacklisted from setting foot at UIC forever.

It means you got in. I have not read about anyone getting the tab and NOT getting in, thus far.

I combed through this thread so many times when I was waiting for my letter. A couple of people had me worried because they sort of indicated that they got rejected after getting the additional correspondence tab, but I messaged them and the only one who did actually get the tab got accepted. Those who were rejected did not get the tab.

HAPPY FRIDAY, YOU GOT IN!

Last edited:
I just called the office and they said that as of April 1st the additional correspondence tab now means that you have been blacklisted from setting foot at UIC forever.
Scared the heck out of me! I am already nervous as hell but did not notice until end of message!

ACCEPTED!!!!!! I'm literally shaking right now.

Reactions: 4 users
It means you got in. I have not read about anyone getting the tab and NOT getting in, thus far.

I combed through this thread so many times when I was waiting for my letter. A couple of people had me worried because they sort of indicated that they got rejected after getting the additional correspondence tab, but I messaged them and the only one who did actually get the tab got accepted. Those who were rejected did not get the tab.

HAPPY FRIDAY, YOU GOT IN!
I hope this will be true! Wishing u the best and hope to be great classmate!

ACCEPTED!!!!!! I'm literally shaking right now.
Congrats! How long did you wait post decision to receive the letter and is it fat or thin? Just got add correspondence thing with final decision on 3/31. If it works out this will be the best thing to happen to me since I became an adult!

Now I just want my site placement so I can join the Facebook group and friend people already LOL

(I'm just really excited to meet everyone...absolutely LOVED all the current students and fellow interviewees and cannot wait to really become a part of the community!)

Congrats! How long did you wait post decision to receive the letter and is it fat or thin? Just got add correspondence thing with final decision on 3/31. If it works out this will be the best thing to happen to me since I became an adult!

I had status changed on 3/26, so 8 days. I have no doubt it will be good news for you!

Hey guys! Sorry to join in the convo so late, had trouble signing up for the Forum, but I've been a stalker for a while, hehe. I got the additional correspondence tab and final decision on 3.26, the financial aid email, and the housing email today. but I REFUSE to get excited until I have the letter of acceptance in my hands!!!!!

I just got the acceptance :D :D :D......I hope to be seeing you all there in the fall!!!!!

:banana::zip:Just got the fat packet on a Saturday but I am out of the country and had to make two different people check the packet! God is great and I am very ecstatic for this news! I look forward to being a classmate! After being rejected by so many schools including my state school, this is a dream come true as I started this journey 10 years ago! Woooooow I can not think and I can not believe this news! I went from a refugee that used to doge bullets to having the rare chance of studying american medicine and this is what gives it so much meaning. The ups and downs have culminated in this glorious day! Thanks for everyone here who gave me advice and I hope to be great friends with many of you in the near future! Thank you UIC!!!!!!! Yaaaay!!!!!!!:soexcited::clap:

Reactions: 9 users
:banana::zip:Just got the fat packet on a Saturday but I am out of the country and had to make two different people check the packet! God is great and I am very ecstatic for this news! I look forward to being a classmate! After being rejected by so many schools including my state school, this is a dream come true as I started this journey 10 years ago! Woooooow I can not think and I can not believe this news! I went from a refugee that used to doge bullets to having the rare chance of studying american medicine and this is what gives it so much meaning. The ups and downs have culminated in this glorious day! Thanks for everyone here who gave me advice and I hope to be great friends with many of you in the near future! Thank you UIC!!!!!!! Yaaaay!!!!!!!:soexcited::clap:

So happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You deserve it, I sincerely hope I get to meet you this fall!!!! :D

This post gave me chills. So so sooooo many congrats to you! You made it, man!!

Reactions: 5 users
This post gave me chills. So so sooooo many congrats to you! You made it, man!!
Thanks a lot! Yes, finally it came through and I could not be happier! It only takes one and I will work my ass of to make this great institution be proud of me. Good luck and I am sure you will go on to be A great healer.

Thanks a lot! Yes, finally it came through and I could not be happier! It only takes one and I will work my ass of to make this great institution be proud of me. Good luck and I am sure you will go on to be A great healer.
Congratulations Doctorphilic, I can't wait to meet you!.

search for UIC College of Medicine - Class of 2019 it was already made
I thought I was a part of that one ... and then someone said it was deleted. in any case I don't think it's the real deal. Out of curiosity ... is anyone else staying in Urbana?

To those who have recently got site matched: how long was the turn-around between submitting your site preference and hearing back? How did they inform you (mail, email, phone)?

To those who have recently got site matched: how long was the turn-around between submitting your site preference and hearing back? How did they inform you (mail, email, phone)?
Snail mail. 2-3 weeks

I thought I was a part of that one ... and then someone said it was deleted. in any case I don't think it's the real deal. Out of curiosity ... is anyone else staying in Urbana?
I will be in urbana! :) also for those of you in urbana are you guys planning to live in the residence halls or live in an off campus apartment?

I will be in Urbana as well! :) and I'm planning on living in an off campus apartment but really want to find roommates before beginning the apartment hunt. Also, a new UIC Facebook group has been created: https://www.facebook.com/groups/351919861669543/. A separate group should be coming soon(ish) for the UPR (Urbana Peoria Rockford) Track as well!