2014-2015 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok... so I just got an email about UIC Chicago campus housing, but it looks like it's for the undergraduate students. Anyone else get this email just now?
That's normal. The ssr residency falls under that category

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we supposed to have a UIC email by now?

I'm honestly getting worried about what exactly is going on, I was accepted almost 5 months ago and received one email about second look.

I also submitted my fafsa but have received nothing about financial aid.

Also, why did they take the Facebook group down?

Jokes on you , school doesn't exist.

Reactions: 5 users
Are we supposed to have a UIC email by now?

I'm honestly getting worried about what exactly is going on, I was accepted almost 5 months ago and received one email about second look.

I also submitted my fafsa but have received nothing about financial aid.

Also, why did they take the Facebook group down?

You aren't the only one.. I didn't receive any email about financial aid either and I submitted my fafsa in January

Yeah, does anyone know if a group exists? I swear I joined some group, but it seems to have disappeared. I haven't received much correspondence either and I'm also worried that I might not be doing something that I am supposed to be. Besides site placement, deposit, and FAFSA, is there anything else that needs my attention? I assume we'll be hearing a lot more in the coming month or two.

Just called admissions. They said everyone gets that email. My site letter was mailed out yesterday. I'm assuming some others were as well. Good luck!
Is that true that everyone gets that email? Seems strange.

No wo
I'm really glad to hear that!! I'm not sure why he told me this Friday was the last day (I promise this was what was actually communicated to me - I wanted to add an official word since the process timelines are too hazy as is) but I'm happy to know that it is not the case regardless. Best of luck with your interview!! :)

I could see a Thursday meeting post 3/25, but 3/30 wouldn't make sense unless they pushed the committee review to 3/31 or later? Since it was still indicated that the committee meeting would be next week. I don't think they interview for waitlist either. Hm. Unless they're doing a meeting just for 3/25 and 3/30? haha xD Oh well, no need to add to speculation. So much for more clarity. Sorry again!

No worries and thank you! I have no clue why he told you that either. I'll ask when I should expect to hear back, and I'll update everyone on the timeline they share! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone from February acceptance receive his/her site placement yet?! I know they were sent Wednesday, but just wondering if anyone actually got it in the mail yet..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply for the UMed program?
No. Did you write a letter explaining your situation? I'm OOS, but in a similar one and at interview day Dr. Girotti told me to send a letter in with my site placement card so that's what I did. I'm really sorry to hear you didn't get your choice-- I hope you're able to successfully appeal it!

And now you must choose. Jk

When did he say bring it on?
Dr. Girotti said he gets a lot of crap from people complaining about their sites, but he is used to it and welcomes anyone who wants to "throw more his way". It was meant in jest, but I feel he was kind of serious

Last edited:
No. Did you write a letter explaining your situation? I'm OOS, but in a similar one and at interview day Dr. Girotti told me to send a letter in with my site placement card so that's what I did. I'm really sorry to hear you didn't get your choice-- I hope you're able to successfully appeal it!
Actually I did! Not sure what went wrong but when I called them this morning it sounded like they dropped the ball. I was told to appeal and that my reasons are good enough to warrant a site change, should a spot open up. Hopefully it will work out.

Actually I did! Not sure what went wrong but when I called them this morning it sounded like they dropped the ball. I was told to appeal and that my reasons are good enough to warrant a site change, should a spot open up. Hopefully it will work out.
What's the appeal process? Did they give you a deadline or odds of getting a site change?

Yeah, does anyone know if a group exists? I swear I joined some group, but it seems to have disappeared. I haven't received much correspondence either and I'm also worried that I might not be doing something that I am supposed to be. Besides site placement, deposit, and FAFSA, is there anything else that needs my attention? I assume we'll be hearing a lot more in the coming month or two.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/351919861669543/
An M1 made this group recently and he said the other one was taken down for some unknown reason - possibly because it wasn't the "official" one or there were technical issues with it?

I'm in the same boat - got accepted in November, got site placement card, paid deposit, and got the second look e-mail, but I haven't heard anything else (nothing about housing or FAFSA, but I sent my FAFSA in in March and had to correct it after filing taxes).

What's the appeal process? Did they give you a deadline or odds of getting a site change?
They will start looking at appeals on/after april 30th. Site change requests should be sent to the uic email address ([email protected]). Site changes are not first come, first serve. They are considered based on the quality of your reasons for wanting a specific campus. So clearly list your reasons! They will make changes throughout the summer. You will be contacted via phone or email to confirm a site change. If you haven't had a change by the end of July, it is unlikely that your appeal will be granted. Can't say much about odds. They said they have moved around "quite a few" students in previous years, but they can't make any promises for this year.

They will start looking at appeals on/after april 30th. Site change requests should be sent to the uic email address ([email protected]). Site changes are not first come, first serve. They are considered based on the quality of your reasons for wanting a specific campus. So clearly list your reasons! They will make changes throughout the summer. You will be contacted via phone or email to confirm a site change. If you haven't had a change by the end of July, it is unlikely that your appeal will be granted. Can't say much about odds. They said they have moved around "quite a few" students in previous years, but they can't make any promises for this year.
Thanks! And good luck!

On the portal, it says that a final decision has been reached for me. I haven't interviewed yet, so I'm assuming I've been rejected :/

Hi Guys!

I'm back to report as promised! Today was actually the last day for interviews. For some reason they removed the 3/30 interviews. We were told ADCOMs will begin reviewing all march interviewees as of 3/26. Good Luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Guys!

I'm back to report as promised! Today was actually the last day for interviews. For some reason they removed the 3/30 interviews. We were told ADCOMs will begin reviewing all march interviewees as of 3/26. Good Luck to everyone!

Thanks for reporting back! Best of luck to you!! :D

Hey guys, I got my financial aid award letter, but I need to sign in with a UIC ID to see it. They say it's on the acceptance letter, but I didn't see anything. Does anyone know what to do?

Hey guys, I got my financial aid award letter, but I need to sign in with a UIC ID to see it. They say it's on the acceptance letter, but I didn't see anything. Does anyone know what to do?
odyssey you have to set up your acct on the myuic site given in your email. It will prompt for SSN, birthday, and the UIN number also given in the award notice email. From there, you can log in to the site using your userid (which you will receive in the portal) and your password which you will assign. Then follow the instructions in the email for accessing the award letter. Hope this helps!

Final decision made on my application today. I have an empty additional correspondence "tab" in the top right, but i'm gonna hold off on any kind of excitement or celebration until I have an acceptance letter in my hands.... The pain of assuming i'm in, and then getting the small letter in the mail would just hurt too bad. Good luck to everyone else, I sincerely hope you all get in, especially those that don't have any other acceptances!

Reactions: 8 users
Final decision made on my application today. I have an empty additional correspondence "tab" in the top right, but i'm gonna hold off on any kind of excitement or celebration until I have an acceptance letter in my hands.... The pain of assuming i'm in, and then getting the small letter in the mail would just hurt too bad. Good luck to everyone else, I sincerely hope you all get in, especially those that don't have any other acceptances!
Congrats! When did you interview, if you don't mind me asking? I did last month...kind of anxious

Reactions: 1 users
ADDITIONAL CORRESPONDENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll keep myself checked just in case
But I'm almost crying
This is my first acceptance if so - and it's from my dream school!!! Ever since my interview day, never wanted to go anywhere else after that!!!
Best of luck to everyone else!!!! :D Interviewed on 1/26 - exactly 2 months ago!

Reactions: 6 users
ADDITIONAL CORRESPONDENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll keep myself checked just in case
But I'm almost crying
This is my first acceptance if so - and it's from my dream school!!! Ever since my interview day, never wanted to go anywhere else after that!!!
Best of luck to everyone else!!!! :D Interviewed on 1/26 - exactly 2 months ago!

Congrats! I hope to join you in the excitement. And I know it's good news coming to you too, @Steve French.

I'm still Decision Pending. Nail biting like crazy yet so hopeful that this will go well. Does anyone know if they will review apps more frequently/ continue updating tomorrow and next week since interview season is pretty much done?

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to you two, @FriendOfTheCupcake and @Steve French! I've been rooting for you both! :D

I'm still decision pending as well, this being my second adcom meeting I've gone through. Keeping up the faith that the statuses will continue to change throughout the next few days, and if not, I'm at least glad to know that I've got a bit of a "decision pending" support group on here, ha!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck guys!! Thankfully, applicant decisions/general waitlist movement will start April 30th instead of May 15th, so worst case scenario, at least it's two weeks better than previous years :-/

Does anyone know if the "Additional Correspondence" tab could also mean being moved to the wait list? Has anyone with the tab been anything but accepted historically?

Does anyone know if the "Additional Correspondence" tab could also mean being moved to the wait list? Has anyone with the tab been anything but accepted historically?
There was a guy relatively early on that was rejected after receiving the "Additional Correspondences" tab, but I believe everyone else that has received that has been accepted. Someone else feel free to chime in if I am wrong :)

I just got the additional correspondence tab and I can't believe it. First acceptance. First time not being waitlisted. First time for everything. I hope it really does mean an acceptance. Dear God,...I know I don't pray as much as I should...but don't be messing with me on this one! haha

Interviewed 2/26 and it says a final decision was made on 3/26.