2014-2015 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone anticipate news tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna say probably not as I don't think school is back and they seem to be sending acceptances at the end of the month.

School started this past Monday, but I think you're right: probably nothing until mid to late January. I'd love to be proven wrong, though!

Academic Calendar

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
good point. agreed - some news would be a great counterpart to the cold...

I just received my campus assignment today. I am going to spend the next two years in Athens!

Reactions: 2 users
Think the news will come this week? Good luck to everyone waiting!

Anyone got IIs lately? Complete in October, sent in a comprehensive update in December, but have not heard anything since submitting the secondary. Drinking wine and praying hard to calm the nerves at the moment.

Good luck to the people who interviewed already!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing here. Pretty sure they normally send out emails around 9 or 10 a.m. normally.

So what're the chances that we hear something tomorrow

I was

I know you have to complete fafsa and profile for mcg

I finished up my fafsa, it was pretty much the same for college.

Where do you fill out a profile for mcg? I don't recall seeing instructions in the acceptance email.

Thanks!

Anyone got IIs lately? Complete in October, sent in a comprehensive update in December, but have not heard anything since submitting the secondary. Drinking wine and praying hard to calm the nerves at the moment.

Good luck to the people who interviewed already!

I just got an II! Complete late July, so there's still hope! Also, who did the student housing program in Augusta? It sounds like a good idea, I just want some general feedback.

I just got an II! Complete late July, so there's still hope! Also, who did the student housing program in Augusta? It sounds like a good idea, I just want some general feedback.
I housed with a student. A few actually. It was a really great experience. Got to get a feel for everything and what to ask about before the interview day started. If you want more info, you can PM me if you like.

II this morning! Complete in June, but MCAT scores weren't in until September.

The Adcom was busy today with II's --- congratulations to those who've received them! Does anyone know if there have been any acceptances sent out today?

I feel like the interview must not be nearly as important as the whole application at this school. It's been ~13 weeks for late October interviewees and if the interview was what pushes applicants to acceptance, I think the evaluation of those would have been determined within that time frame. And, someone earlier in the thread said that an interviewer told them that majority of interviewees has a really good interview. This doesn't affect anything but I hope we can hear back by the end of the month!

I feel like the interview must not be nearly as important as the whole application at this school. It's been ~13 weeks for late October interviewees and if the interview was what pushes applicants to acceptance, I think the evaluation of those would have been determined within that time frame. And, someone earlier in the thread said that an interviewer told them that majority of interviewees has a really good interview. This doesn't affect anything but I hope we can hear back by the end of the month!

I'm also a late October interviewee and I was beginning to think the same thing. 13 weeks!? For sure we will hear by this next week.

I went to a interview and they they only let a small amount of people through at a time. Around March is when it acceptances,wait list, and etc really start rolling in.

MCG

Last edited:
I finished up my fafsa, it was pretty much the same for college.

Where do you fill out a profile for mcg? I don't recall seeing instructions in the acceptance email.

Thanks!

Hi! I was a little confused bc I called the office this morning and said after your fafsa, we just wait until after March to hear back. She said there wasn't a gru-specific aid application Jit I emailed another lady who does aid for medical students about it and any further steps! Sorry!

I heard Athens campus had a higher average Step 1 and Step 2 scores than Augusta campus. I heard Mercer had higher average Step 1 scores than MCG. Can anyone confirm or deny these statements and if so can elaborate on the reasons why?

I can speak for mercer. they believe it is due to the sole case base learning and that students have to learn and understand everything themselves as they learn each set of study guides for their exams

I don't think this is true from what I've been told. One adcomm here told me that there are about 10% of students who's stats are so high that they are slam-dunks and will get in as long as they don't do anything crazy, but that the majority of students need someone to go to bat for them. The interviewer really has to be an advocate ready to fight for their interviewees at adcomm meetings, and without that you might fall low on the wait list, and the bottom of the waitlist is checkered in with people with both above and below average stats just like the top of it is.

I can say that in my class i know more than one student who had a 26-27 on their MCAT and got straight in (never waitlisted), and I know more than one person with a slightly above average gpa/mcat that didn't get in their first year and had to reapply, and I can't imagine these are the type of people that did anything repulsive in their first interview--they just didn't wow their interviewer.

As far as the long wait times, I can't speak too much for this year with certainty, but for the last 3 years MCG has accepted around half of the class in one final push around March. It's not because the interview isn't important, it's just because the adcomm is still debating over who the middle 60-80% (not outstanding, not terrible) and deciding where people will fit in on the waitlist. If the interview didn't matter and was just a formality, it would actually be much easier to decide who to accept and wouldn't take as long since the decision would have probably been 90% made before the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow. This process is so much more wearing than I thought it would be. I mean, we basically started applying a year ago by the time we will hear. It's so hard to plan your life when it feels like so much hangs in the balance of an email.

Wow. This process is so much more wearing than I thought it would be. I mean, we basically started applying a year ago by the time we will hear. It's so hard to plan your life when it feels like so much hangs in the balance of an email.

Tell me about it. This is my second year applying and it's always a huge shot to the esteem whenever you don't hear anything back. Especially because a lot of schools do the "silent rejection" and won't let you know anything. It's a mentally draining process. I've stopped telling people I'm applying because I'm exhausted explaining to people that I might not know anything until March.

It's also funny because people don't realize how competitive it is to get accepted. They say "Oh, I know you'll get in!"

And then it's awkward for them when you see them again and you didn't.

I don't think this is true from what I've been told. One adcomm here told me that there are about 10% of students who's stats are so high that they are slam-dunks and will get in as long as they don't do anything crazy, but that the majority of students need someone to go to bat for them. The interviewer really has to be an advocate ready to fight for their interviewees at adcomm meetings, and without that you might fall low on the wait list, and the bottom of the waitlist is checkered in with people with both above and below average stats just like the top of it is.

I can say that in my class i know more than one student who had a 26-27 on their MCAT and got straight in (never waitlisted), and I know more than one person with a slightly above average gpa/mcat that didn't get in their first year and had to reapply, and I can't imagine these are the type of people that did anything repulsive in their first interview--they just didn't wow their interviewer.

As far as the long wait times, I can't speak too much for this year with certainty, but for the last 3 years MCG has accepted around half of the class in one final push around March. It's not because the interview isn't important, it's just because the adcomm is still debating over who the middle 60-80% (not outstanding, not terrible) and deciding where people will fit in on the waitlist. If the interview didn't matter and was just a formality, it would actually be much easier to decide who to accept and wouldn't take as long since the decision would have probably been 90% made before the interview.

To me, that sounds even further towards the direction of the interview having less importance. I've read posts on SDN where the adcoms say that you're not competing against other applicants and if they like you/your application, you're accepted. However, if MCG says that they have to figure out who comprises the middle 60-80% rather than sending acceptances in a traditional rolling manner, that sounds 100% like we're competing against fellow interviewees. At that point, it seems they're trying to develop the "perfect" class combination(demographics, scores, experiences, etc.) and I can't comprehend an interview factoring in well to an equation like that. In more clear terms, I don't see how they could go say something like "Hey, we're definitely going to need 60-80% of excellent interviewers in this class."

Also, I base my reasoning loosely off the fact that I received an interview invite within 2 weeks of being complete so I would think they didn't have enough time to look over my application in depth, and were liberal with handing out interview invites.

To me, that sounds even further towards the direction of the interview having less importance. I've read posts on SDN where the adcoms say that you're not competing against other applicants and if they like you/your application, you're accepted. However, if MCG says that they have to figure out who comprises the middle 60-80% rather than sending acceptances in a traditional rolling manner, that sounds 100% like we're competing against fellow interviewees. At that point, it seems they're trying to develop the "perfect" class combination(demographics, scores, experiences, etc.) and I can't comprehend an interview factoring in well to an equation like that. In more clear terms, I don't see how they could go say something like "Hey, we're definitely going to need 60-80% of excellent interviewers in this class."

Also, I base my reasoning loosely off the fact that I received an interview invite within 2 weeks of being complete so I would think they didn't have enough time to look over my application in depth, and were liberal with handing out interview invites.
Maybe I didn't make it clear, they are debating over 60-80% of the interviewees, not the accepted class. If your stats were good enough to interview and they so loosely hand out interviews like you said, then don't you think the interview is what sets people apart? If the interview wouldn't matter, wouldn't they be a lot pickier about who they interviewed? Why waste peoples time if they already know what demographic they want by the time apps are due in October...do you think the school does this to make people feel good?

Your interview is what makes a below average students get accepted and an above average student get put at the bottom of the waitlist. You can believe what you want, but the adcomm member I mentioned above directly said, "I didn't understand how important the interview was until I was on the adcomm."

Maybe I didn't make it clear, they are debating over 60-80% of the interviewees, not the accepted class. If your stats were good enough to interview and they so loosely hand out interviews like you said, then don't you think the interview is what sets people apart? If the interview wouldn't matter, wouldn't they be a lot pickier about who they interviewed? Why waste peoples time if they already know what demographic they want by the time apps are due in October...do you think the school does this to make people feel good?

Your interview is what makes a below average students get accepted and an above average student get put at the bottom of the waitlist. You can believe what you want, but the adcomm member I mentioned above directly said, "I didn't understand how important the interview was until I was on the adcomm."

I 100% believe you since you're a student at the school and you have conversed with an adcom member. I'm not trying to dispute anything that you're saying, but in my mind, all of this works to a different effect. I wasn't saying that they would pre-select the demographics for their class because, there's no certainty between the type of people who will apply per year. And also, I think an applicant's paper application is complex and can take a long time to fully evaluate, especially in the large numbers that apply to a medical school. I do however think it would be quick to evaluate 2 interviews, but that's really because I have no clue how interviews are evaluated unfortunately.

Just a few minutes ago! Interviewed 12/8
Yay!!! That's amazing! I know you must be super excited! I interviewed back in October, but I'm still waiting... I received the "we haven't made a decision yet" email back in Dec, right before the holiday. I still have faith!

Yay!!! That's amazing! I know you must be super excited! I interviewed back in October, but I'm still waiting... I received the "we haven't made a decision yet" email back in Dec, right before the holiday. I still have faith!
Keep your faith up and good luck to y'all! I went through the waiting game last year as well!

Got in at 4:30ish today! Too excited. Interviewed 10/25 and was starting to think they forgot about me.

Reactions: 4 users
I got accepted!!!!!

EDIT of details: Complete early September, interview invite Septembery, and interview November 13th. Honestly I didn't expect this at all, especially not on a Wednesday. If anything, I thought that I might be pulled off the wait list sometime in July. This is such a surprise, I'm very excited to meet you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Received my acceptance via email today! I interviewed on December 2. This is my second year applying, and I took my MCAT three times. Don't give up hope! Just keep working towards your goal, and it will pay off. :]

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!!! I am truly blessed and very grateful. I interviewed on 10/28.

Last edited: