2020-2021 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current M3, feel free to ask me questions and I will try to answer best I can!

@stickgirl390

I'm from Washington D.C, and currently live in the D.C metro area. I lived in Georgia 2007-2011, and my mother currently lives there with several of my siblings, they've been in Peachtree City for about 6 years now. I believe these would be considered strong ties to GA right? Since I'd be an OOS applicant I would only want to apply if they'd consider my ties to GA rather strong. Also do you know if they screen for secondaries with OOS applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
@stickgirl390

I'm from Washington D.C, and currently live in the D.C metro area. I lived in Georgia 2007-2011, and my mother currently lives there with several of my siblings, they've been in Peachtree City for about 6 years now. I believe these would be considered strong ties to GA right? Since I'd be an OOS applicant I would only want to apply if they'd consider my ties to GA rather strong. Also do you know if they screen for secondaries with OOS applicants?
Having immediate family in the state definitely helps establish ties. I don’t know of any screening of applicant secondaries.

@stickgirl390 Thank you for offering. Would you be able to personally tell us how medical students at MCG have been affected by any changes due to COVID?

@stickgirl390 Thank you for offering. Would you be able to personally tell us how medical students at MCG have been affected by any changes due to COVID?

I can tell you what happened in the past, but I can’t predict how things will evolve as the virus continues.

In March, M1 and M2 switched to fully online. This was an easy transition as MCG already offers online recordings of all lectures, and everyone has access to the secure exam software from home. I think you will find a common opinion that online preclinical years is actually beneficial.

Clinicals were paused for a few months, but MCG took that time to basically re-configure the order of courses. Web-based electives were offered in order for M3 students to fulfill their M4 elective requirements in lieu of clinical rotations. When they went back on the wards, they weren’t behind on graduation requirements as a result. M4s were mostly completed by the time COVID hit, so I don’t think they were affected much. They had to do a virtual match and commencement which is very disappointing, but I think all med schools experienced that.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted and verified before July 10th and still waiting on secondary. I'm OOS but have ties to GA.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in state RD but haven't gotten the secondary yet. Has anyone else received it?

I'm in state RD but haven't gotten the secondary yet. Has anyone else received it?
Im in state and RD as well and haven't received a secondary yet. I emailed their admissions office earlier and was told they are having difficulty with responses being saved and have subsequently placed a hold on sending out more secondaries. Im calling tomorrow morning to get more info.

Im in state and RD as well and haven't received a secondary yet. I emailed their admissions office earlier and was told they are having difficulty with responses being saved and have subsequently placed a hold on sending out more secondaries. Im calling tomorrow morning to get more info.
After your call could you let us know what they say? Thanks!!

I think the AU website in general is having issues. I have a friend trying to submit the PA application and they were having troubles getting the website to load.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting on my secondary too. I'm a re-applicant, and I recall getting my secondary much earlier last year.

Do you guys think we should be aiming to get close to the 400 word limit for each essay?

as opposed to say 200-300 words without much fluff?

Do you guys think we should be aiming to get close to the 400 word limit for each essay?

as opposed to say 200-300 words without much fluff?

I would think as long as you're able to communicate your important points in your essays, you don't need to be very close to the 400 word-count. That being said, if you only had 100-200 words, I would evaluate whether you've answered the prompt as fully as you can. My opinion is to aim for quantity of quality, but 300 words of significance would probably be fine in this case.

Coming back for one more round of applications this year. Checked my secondary portal yesterday to grab all my responses from last year's secondary, but now I can see a COVID-19 prompt for the upcoming application cycle. Trying to see if this is happening to anyone else who applied last year or if there is a glitch on my application.

For reference:

Last year’s cycle had 2,768 applications, 592 interviews, 240 seats

Reactions: 1 users
I can see the same as well " Please explain any disruptions to your medical school application this cycle that the admissions committee should consider, as it relates to COVID-19 (Examples include: academics, volunteer/clinical experiences, personal life, etc.) "

Are you applying ED or RD? Have they already started to send out apps for RD?

Did anyone receive a secondary yet? I'm in-state and applying RD but submitted my primary on May 28th, so getting a bit anxious...

Still waiting. I'm out of state but have ties to GA. I submitted and was verified before July 10th so I've been waiting since then for MCG.

Did anyone receive a secondary yet? I'm in-state and applying RD but submitted my primary on May 28th, so getting a bit anxious...

EDP here. Nothing yet. I wouldn't be worried.

Secondary received today. Applying EDP.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, has anyone else encountered difficulty saving their secondary app and if so what did you do/were told to do?

My primary was verified in June. Anyone know why I haven't received a secondary? I'm so anxious now

I love how this thread is either EDPs saying the secondary app portal isn't working or RDs *begging* just ONE EDP to share the secondary prompts
Lol /.\ I mean I understand why no EDPs wanna help out, I guess (?) but I just find it funny.

Reactions: 3 users
I love how this thread is either EDPs saying the secondary app portal isn't working or RDs *begging* just ONE EDP to share the secondary prompts
Lol /.\ I mean I understand why no EDPs wanna help out, I guess (?) but I just find it funny.
Seriously tho, it’s ridiculous that someone hasn’t shared the prompts yet.

Y’all better drop the competitive attitude and learn to help out your fellow man, or medical school isn’t the place for you.

Reactions: 8 users
Seriously tho, it’s ridiculous that someone hasn’t shared the prompts yet.

Y’all better drop the competitive attitude and learn to help out your fellow man, or medical school isn’t the place for you.
Maybe the EDP prompts are different, so wouldn't you hate to write twice?

Hey everyone! I'm an M2 at the school and have found the secondary prompts to share with you all!

Keep in mind, this is from an EDP secondary, but if I'm remembering correctly these are very similar to the questions I was asked when I applied in the regular cycle, so I would assume they will be the same for everyone.

1) Please discuss your primary interest in attending the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University.

2) Please describe your motivation for becoming a physician. What contributions do you feel that you could make to the medical profession in the future?

3) The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of our school. The Admissions Committee strongly encourages you to share personal challenges that you have overcome and that are unique to you. These challenges may include the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

4) Please describe the geographical area in which you would most likely practice medicine and why. Please include the country, region, state, city and/or town in your response.

5) Please explain any inconsistencies in your academic record. This may include below average course performance, grade trends, MCAT scores, etc.

6) Please explain any disruptions to your medical school application this cycle that the admissions committee should consider, as it relates to COVID-19 (Examples include: academics, volunteer/clinical experiences, personal life, etc.)

Good luck! If anyone has any questions about the school, let me know!

Reactions: 9 users
Hey everyone! I'm an M2 at the school and have found the secondary prompts to share with you all!

Keep in mind, this is from an EDP secondary, but if I'm remembering correctly these are very similar to the questions I was asked when I applied in the regular cycle, so I would assume they will be the same for everyone.

1) Please discuss your primary interest in attending the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University.

2) Please describe your motivation for becoming a physician. What contributions do you feel that you could make to the medical profession in the future?

3) The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of our school. The Admissions Committee strongly encourages you to share personal challenges that you have overcome and that are unique to you. These challenges may include the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

4) Please describe the geographical area in which you would most likely practice medicine and why. Please include the country, region, state, city and/or town in your response.

5) Please explain any inconsistencies in your academic record. This may include below average course performance, grade trends, MCAT scores, etc.

6) Please explain any disruptions to your medical school application this cycle that the admissions committee should consider, as it relates to COVID-19 (Examples include: academics, volunteer/clinical experiences, personal life, etc.)

Good luck! If anyone has any questions about the school, let me know!

YOU are a GODSEND!! I didn't even realize Q1 was a prompt. They didn't have that last year. Also do you know if all prompts are still 400 words limited?

YOU are a GODSEND!! I didn't even realize Q1 was a prompt. They didn't have that last year. Also do you know if all prompts are still 400 words limited?
Yes, all responses have a 400 word limit. Sorry I forgot to include that!

If you have been running into issues with saving your EDP secondary, email the admissions office. They are SUPER helpful.

In the meantime, try taking out special characters in your secondary like semi-colons and apostrophes. I was able to submit my secondary for EDP secondary after rewriting my secondaries to include no such characters. If y'all need some help taking out those characters, feel free to message me.

Edit: there is an additional question to this year's secondary. I provided it below.

7. If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed in your application.

Last edited:
Have any regular decision people received a secondary yet?

503 low :/
When did you take it? For me, I took it last year and got a 507. I didn't do so well on the pysch/soci section but I got A's in both of those classes last semester which might offset that a bit.

Secondary received. Regular decision applicant

Reactions: 1 users