2014-2015 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finals are so distracting. It's almost lovely.
Holidays are awful. Everyone asks if I've been accepted.
What is this twisted world I live in?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm hoping it's this Friday... I work with one of the doctors who wrote me a LOR. He asks me every single day
"Any news from MCG?"

NO. I'LL BRING A CAKE IN WHEN I HEAR.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha this is exactly what I needed today. Finals is nice because I feel like I'm actually doing something. I think I'll be ripping my hair out over the holidays due to feeling useless and overthinking.

Who bets that the next round of acceptances will include November interviewees?

Ahhhhh

Reactions: 1 user
Wow anatomy lab is amazing! So many cadavers compared to other schools

Assuming no one has heard anything... What time do you think it's smart to give up on today?

Last year, there were acceptances given out today. I guess there is none this year on this date...

Last edited:
I was told they begin talking about it in November. And I wouldn't be overly concerned. They said they give almost everyone the campus they choose. Unless it doesn't matter where you go and you just want to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finals are so distracting. It's almost lovely.
Holidays are awful. Everyone asks if I've been accepted.
What is this twisted world I live in?

^Totally agree. Post-grad applications and family reunions during the holidays don't mix. It makes Thanksgiving and Christmas a nightmare.

When were you complete? Just wanna get an idea on where they are on the rolling admissions.

Any hope of still getting an interview at this point?

I thought I was a pretty decent applicant, submitted everything late July, and I haven't heard back yet for an interview. It's been extremely discouraging, so should I still hold out or start thinking of other options for the future?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Congrats to everyone who's gotten acceptances at this point!

Submitted in June as a reapplicant. MCAT scores came back in early September. Still no ii. I spoke with a friend today who is a first year student at mcg. He got his ii late january, got waitlisted, and was finally accepted during the summer. There's time left.

A thought or two about waiting for that II...MCG has a monster class to fill (230), and the lion's share of those will be from Georgia. (A good argument could be made that a state with 10 million people ought to have more than 1 public medical school...even Alabama has 2! Florida has at least 6 now!) All of the medical schools interview thru at least February. Some highly qualified candidates are invited early in the process to be sure, but mostly it is simply a long, methodical process. I can ASSURE you that being on the WL is just OK because by early May spots free up. A good percentage of matriculants at MCG are accepted from the WL. And once you are in school and progressing, NOBODY will know whether you had been accepted back in October or not until May/June! :)

Our daughter was part of the first group accepted by MCG (mid October as I recall for the 2012 matriculating class), but in May she got a fortuitous break with an invite to Baylor (BCM) with a 50% scholarship, so she jumped all over that (well less expensive net). Keep the faith!
:luck:

Reactions: 4 users
Any hope of still getting an interview at this point?

I thought I was a pretty decent applicant, submitted everything late July, and I haven't heard back yet for an interview. It's been extremely discouraging, so should I still hold out or start thinking of other options for the future?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Congrats to everyone who's gotten acceptances at this point!

I think you've got a good shot at getting interviews. We've still got January, February, and March. My guess is that after this week (right before winter break), they'll start revving out more interviews. It's a class of 230 people, and to my knowledge, only ED and September interviewees have heard back. Keep your head up. The game is still playing =)

meep.... hopefully some decisions tomorrow? or maybe tuesday?!

Has anyone from October interview dates heard back - good or bad?

It's eerily quiet.

They just sent them out! I just got in OMG!!!!!!!!! Interviewed 10/14. Accepted 12/19!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
At long last!!

I'm in!

Interviewed 10/10!

Interviewed 10/15, accepted...well today!

Congrats to everyone who heard back today––for the rest of you waiting to hear, I wish you all hear amazing news soon :)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns about the MCG interview / my experience.
Happy holidays y'all!!

Yes! Congrats to everyone and best of luck to everyone still waiting! There's still time, so keep your heads up!

I interviewed on 10/28...still no word. Looks like I'm in for the long haul. Congrats to all that were accepted!

Just got a "Status Update" email to inform me that no decision has been made on my application. :( Gave me a mini heart attack when I saw the email from them. Interviewed 10/30.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten great news!

got this email just today:

"I hope that the holiday season has gotten off to a wonderful start for you. I would like to thank you again for coming to interview with us and to update you on the status of your application to the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University.

As we shared with you on your interview day, our committee has made a commitment to process all applications as quickly as possible over the course of our regular decision selection process which lasts from September through the end of March. A final decision on your application has not yet been determined, but our committee will resume its meetings after the New Year begins and we will notify you as soon as a decision on your application has been made. "

does this mean I have been waitlisted or deferred? i interviewed on 10/16 and am slowly losing hope over this school...

"I hope that the holiday season has gotten off to a wonderful start for you. I would like to thank you again for coming to interview with us and to update you on the status of your application to the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University.

As we shared with you on your interview day, our committee has made a commitment to process all applications as quickly as possible over the course of our regular decision selection process which lasts from September through the end of March. A final decision on your application has not yet been determined, but our committee will resume its meetings after the New Year begins and we will notify you as soon as a decision on your application has been made. "

does this mean I have been waitlisted or deferred? i interviewed on 10/16 and am slowly losing hope over this school...

I don't think so. It just means that you're application is still under review, and they just need more time to get to it and give it proper attention. In my book, that's a good thing, since you're still being considered actively, i.e. not waitlisted. You'll probably hear more in January, hopefully good news =) I wouldn't give up. Remember, MCG is GA's only public school, so they have a super high volume of apps to process. From the looks of it, only ED, September, and very early October interviewees have gotten in. That means there's still spaces, since interviews go into March.

Not to raise any alarms, but I interviewed on 11/11 and they haven't sent me this e-mail yet.

Interviewed 10/30 and also got that email, let's hope for the best my fellow applicants!

I received a similar email last cycle during the holidays and was eventually placed on the wait-list. I believe that they haven't made a final decision on your application.

I was also accepted today! I interviewed September 11 so keep hope alive! I am super excited to join the Class of 2015 and best wishes for the people who are waiting.

I got the same email! Interviewed 11/13. Scared the hell out of me since the first paragraph sounded like a soft rejection. It just means they haven't forgotten about us. I think November interviewees will hear in mid-January.

Does the office contact you if your application is incomplete? I haven't heard a peep from MCG since I submitted everything in July. Beginning to fear that I may have accidentally forgotten to submit something...

@Amurica45 , I also hadn't heard from MCG until today, even though I was complete in July. Interviews were made available from mid-January to mid-February. Best of luck!

Received an II today, complete since mid-July. Feel bad for the admissions people working on Christmas Eve, but it was a great Christmas present!

Also received an II this evening. Complete with secondary late July, LORs uploaded mid september. Surprised they were open and working on Christmas eve but excited none the less.

I also received an interview invite on christmas eve. I was completed on October 28th.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Do y'all know if there is a FB page for the class of 2019 yet?

Was anyone accepted recently applying for MD/PhD spot? Or from out of state?

Happy New Year everyone! I hope that the new year brings new secondaries, interviews, and acceptances for everyone still waiting! Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 3 users