2020-2021 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@People who received their campus assignments: Where did you find it?

Members don't see this ad.

@People who received their campus assignments: Where did you find it?

By email and it shows up as a new tab in the secondary application portal next to the old campus tab.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am reapplicant for next cycle. Is there any advantage to applying early decision in terms of chances of getting in?
It’s probably harder as usually they have higher stats. Also it puts you at a significant disadvantage if you don’t get into early decision.

when do yall think waitlist movement will start, and how many people do you think will come off of it?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey folks, when MCG says they don't accept update letters after Dec. 1st, does that apply to letters of intent? I assumed that was the case, but now on past threads for MCG I'm seeing people say they sent LOIs after that deadline. Is it too late to send a LOI?? This is the only school where I interviewed and I'm currently on the waitlist, so I would love to improve my chances of getting accepted!!

Hey folks, when MCG says they don't accept update letters after Dec. 1st, does that apply to letters of intent? I assumed that was the case, but now on past threads for MCG I'm seeing people say they sent LOIs after that deadline. Is it too late to send a LOI?? This is the only school where I interviewed and I'm currently on the waitlist, so I would love to improve my chances of getting accepted!!
I emailed them and they still accept it in your portal. I submitted mine a month ago but hopefully they read it lol.

Has anyone gotten their FA package?

if anyone is looking for roommates, feel free to dm me. i'm also searching

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone still not received the FA package or their campus assignment? I haven't been sent any emails. I was accepted around early January!

Has anyone still not received the FA package or their campus assignment? I haven't been sent any emails. I was accepted around early January!
I have not received mine either. I called and left voice mails 2 weeks ago. No response yet.

I got my campus assignment. Both by email on the portal, but they may just be slowly rolling it out. Have not received any FA stuff

Can any current students comment on what they like/dislike about MCG's clinical rotations? It sounded like at revisit day that there are rotations in many locations across Georgia -- is it possible to stay more centralized in Augusta if one is on the Augusta campus? How much hands-on work does one get to do in clerkships as an MCG student?

Can any current students comment on what they like/dislike about MCG's clinical rotations? It sounded like at revisit day that there are rotations in many locations across Georgia -- is it possible to stay more centralized in Augusta if one is on the Augusta campus? How much hands-on work does one get to do in clerkships as an MCG student?
You can choose to move to an away campus or stay in Augusta. If you go to Rome, Dalton, Southwest (Albany), or Southeast (Savannah/Brunswick), all your rotations will be there. If you stay in Augusta, you will still have 1-2 rotations away, which could be anywhere in the state. The school provides housing for those away rotations. You will rank the available locations for each rotation, so you have some say in placement, but ultimately it's a lottery system.

As for hands-on work, it kind of depends on the location and clerkship. At the away rotations, there are usually not residents, so it is just you and the attending and you may get to do more procedures. There are required procedures for some rotations, but beyond that, I think you can always show interest and ask to do more if you would like. Even in the AU hospital with residents, students are involved with the patient. I just started rotations, but I go see my patients alone in the morning to talk and do a physical exam. Then I talk with the intern, round with the team, and write a note that the intern will sign off on.

You can choose to move to an away campus or stay in Augusta. If you go to Rome, Dalton, Southwest (Albany), or Southeast (Savannah/Brunswick), all your rotations will be there. If you stay in Augusta, you will still have 1-2 rotations away, which could be anywhere in the state. The school provides housing for those away rotations. You will rank the available locations for each rotation, so you have some say in placement, but ultimately it's a lottery system.

As for hands-on work, it kind of depends on the location and clerkship. At the away rotations, there are usually not residents, so it is just you and the attending and you may get to do more procedures. There are required procedures for some rotations, but beyond that, I think you can always show interest and ask to do more if you would like. Even in the AU hospital with residents, students are involved with the patient. I just started rotations, but I go see my patients alone in the morning to talk and do a physical exam. Then I talk with the intern, round with the team, and write a note that the intern will sign off on.

Thanks for your insight! Just to clarify, does one move to an away campus or stay in Augusta starting right after the preclinical curriculum during the M2 year as clerkships begin? I know MCG at Augusta has moved to a 1.5 year preclinical and it looks like clerkships start in January of the M2 year.

Also, I'm potentially interested in specialties like PM&R that aren't part of the core clerkships. How accessible is it to explore interests in these types of fields?

Thanks for your insight! Just to clarify, does one move to an away campus or stay in Augusta starting right after the preclinical curriculum during the M2 year as clerkships begin? I know MCG at Augusta has moved to a 1.5 year preclinical and it looks like clerkships start in January of the M2 year.

Also, I'm potentially interested in specialties like PM&R that aren't part of the core clerkships. How accessible is it to explore interests in these types of fields?
Yes, you would move in January after 1.5 years of pre-clinical. Most people who go to an away campus will stay there, but some will just spend third year there and choose to move back to Augusta for 4th year. If you are interested in something other than the core clerkships (ex: PM&R, EM, Anesthesia, etc.), you can do it as an elective as soon as you start 4th year (spring of your actual third year in school).

Yes, you would move in January after 1.5 years of pre-clinical. Most people who go to an away campus will stay there, but some will just spend third year there and choose to move back to Augusta for 4th year. If you are interested in something other than the core clerkships (ex: PM&R, EM, Anesthesia, etc.), you can do it as an elective as soon as you start 4th year (spring of your actual third year in school).

Appreciate it! Thanks again!

Appreciate it! Thanks again!
Just jumping on to add a second voice.

Everything @soclocgroup8 said is accurate. I’ll add that if you want to have your “home base” during clinicals in Albany, Savannah, or Rome, you have to apply for it and be accepted as those spots are limited. If you want to remain in Augusta, that is the default and you are more or less guaranteed that. This is assuming your home campus for preclinical is AUGUSTA. I don’t know what the Athens students do.

If you keep your home base in Augusta, there is a lottery system for each individual rotation location, but it’s very much up in the air. I myself had only 1 rural location out of the 11 required between M3 and M4. A friend of mine had all but 2 of his in random clinics around GA. There is also a hardship form you can submit to guarantee all your rotations local in Augusta, if you have kids in school, a doctor you see regularly, if you’re married, etc. And to reiterate: housing is provided for rotations >1 hour away from Augusta, so it’s very doable to manage.

Students based out of Albany, Rome and Savannah definitely get more hands on experience since there are no residents or fellows. That being said, I still got to do a TON on the Augusta campus. For example; I got to first assist on an ortho trauma surgery with just the attending. I personally think having the residents is an advantage. They’re easier to talk to/less intimidating, and have lots of good tips for taking step and shelf since they just got done doing all that themselves.

Just jumping on to add a second voice.

Everything @soclocgroup8 said is accurate. I’ll add that if you want to have your “home base” during clinicals in Albany, Savannah, or Rome, you have to apply for it and be accepted as those spots are limited. If you want to remain in Augusta, that is the default and you are more or less guaranteed that. This is assuming your home campus for preclinical is AUGUSTA. I don’t know what the Athens students do.

If you keep your home base in Augusta, there is a lottery system for each individual rotation location, but it’s very much up in the air. I myself had only 1 rural location out of the 11 required between M3 and M4. A friend of mine had all but 2 of his in random clinics around GA. There is also a hardship form you can submit to guarantee all your rotations local in Augusta, if you have kids in school, a doctor you see regularly, if you’re married, etc. And to reiterate: housing is provided for rotations >1 hour away from Augusta, so it’s very doable to manage.

Students based out of Albany, Rome and Savannah definitely get more hands on experience since there are no residents or fellows. That being said, I still got to do a TON on the Augusta campus. For example; I got to first assist on an ortho trauma surgery with just the attending. I personally think having the residents is an advantage. They’re easier to talk to/less intimidating, and have lots of good tips for taking step and shelf since they just got done doing all that themselves.

Thanks for jumping on! Regarding the rotations in Augusta, how far on average are some of the clinical sites from the main campus? I understand some clinical rotations occur at MCG Hospital but also at other hospitals and clinics in Augusta? I'm currently accepted to the Augusta preclinical home campus so everything you've said is relevant to me. Thank you once again!

Thanks for jumping on! Regarding the rotations in Augusta, how far on average are some of the clinical sites from the main campus? I understand some clinical rotations occur at MCG Hospital but also at other hospitals and clinics in Augusta? I'm currently accepted to the Augusta preclinical home campus so everything you've said is relevant to me. Thank you once again!
Depending on where you live in Augusta, everything is probably within 20 minutes. The furthest sites I can think of are pediatric offices in Aiken, Wrens, and Wrightsboro which could be 30-45 minutes away, but they probably only take one student per rotation, so if you don't want to be there, you can rank it lower on the lottery list. Most of the inpatient sites will be at AU, the VA, or CHOG for peds.

If any of y’all are going to be attending the Athens campus and are looking for housing you can PM me!

Depending on where you live in Augusta, everything is probably within 20 minutes. The furthest sites I can think of are pediatric offices in Aiken, Wrens, and Wrightsboro which could be 30-45 minutes away, but they probably only take one student per rotation, so if you don't want to be there, you can rank it lower on the lottery list. Most of the inpatient sites will be at AU, the VA, or CHOG for peds.

Appreciate the information!

Where is everyone reviewing their financial aid package/information? I haven't been able to find anything in Pounce but wasn't sure if I'm looking in the wrong place (or if finaid info hasn't been sent out for everyone yet). Any insight is appreciated!

Where is everyone reviewing their financial aid package/information? I haven't been able to find anything in Pounce but wasn't sure if I'm looking in the wrong place (or if finaid info hasn't been sent out for everyone yet). Any insight is appreciated!

Pounce is where we should be able to review it. I don't think everyone has gotten their financial aid information released yet though.

If you’re searching for a roommate, be sure to put your info on here!

Moderator Note: Google Sheet was displaying Personally Identifiable Information here, so it has been removed. Please PM @QdaG for link.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you’re searching for a roommate, be sure to put your info on here! Moderator Note: Google Sheet was displaying Personally Identifiable Information here, so it has been removed. Please PM @QdaG for link.
Can you give instructions on how to access it by referring to a restricted group (i.e. the fb group for accepted students)? I'm sure people don't want their real names displayed on SDN

Last edited by a moderator:
is mcg still giving out scholarships? Also is there a stat cut off with scholarship offers?

April 30th is coming up, so acceptees can start committing to schools. Do we expect to see some waitlist movement soon after this date passes?

If I plan to enroll at MCG, I can still remain on other waitlists right?

If I plan to enroll at MCG, I can still remain on other waitlists right?

Yes! The commit to enroll option is the one that means you cannot stay on other waitlists, but if you plan to enroll, no need to withdraw waitlists.

Congrats to everyone that got off the WL. There’s a FB group for students if y’all wanna join!

For those of you coming off the waitlist, had you chosen the plan to enroll option for another medical school before getting off the waitlist? I’m trying to decide whether doing that would hurt my chances of being accepted off the waitlist at mcg.

For those of you coming off the waitlist, had you chosen the plan to enroll option for another medical school before getting off the waitlist? I’m trying to decide whether doing that would hurt my chances of being accepted off the waitlist at mcg.
I did not PTE at the time

I didn't PTE because I didn't have any other acceptances

Just got off the waitlist this morning!! it still doesn't feel real honestly 😁

• Love
Reactions: 10 users