2014-2015 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! Anybody sent in a primary for MCG yet? I sent mine in and all I got back was this email:

Thank you for applying to the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University. We appreciate your interest in MCG at GRU and encourage you to continue pursing your goal of becoming a physician.
As you may be preparing to apply for a future application cycle, I would like to share information regarding a new opportunity available to you through the GRU Hull College of Business – the STEM-Master of Business Administration degree.

-I thought it was kind of weird but it showed that they definately got my app. Just wondering if anyone got the same/is it too early for secondaries??

I believe earliest one will be coming in on 6/27. I doubt that you already got yours because I sent app on 6/4.

My question:
On the secondary application questions from the last year, the last question asks about academic problems or unevenness.
Personally, I had issues with one of my roommate (one that shared bathroom with me) was an angry drunk and I had to take on his terrible temper because my room was right next to his room.
I complained once and death threats followed. I was waiting for the naturalization ceremony and was worried about complications. Also, I had to focus on finishing school, so I kept it under the table. Also, I did not have much money to afford finding another apartment at that time. It really bothered me throughout my junior and senior year in college and affected my academics.

Should I include this on the application? Its in my past and I really don't want to bring it up if school makes a BIG issue about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Anybody sent in a primary for MCG yet? I sent mine in and all I got back was this email:

Thank you for applying to the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University. We appreciate your interest in MCG at GRU and encourage you to continue pursing your goal of becoming a physician.
As you may be preparing to apply for a future application cycle, I would like to share information regarding a new opportunity available to you through the GRU Hull College of Business – the STEM-Master of Business Administration degree.

-I thought it was kind of weird but it showed that they definately got my app. Just wondering if anyone got the same/is it too early for secondaries??

Did anyone else get this e-mail? I submitted my primary on the day it opened and it got verified two days later, but I haven't gotten any e-mails. Is that bad? Also, does anyone know if they do pre-secondary screening? I'm an OOS applicant with significant ties to Georgia.

I have not gotten the email.

In 2011, they released their secondary 6/18
In 2012, 6/29
In 2013, 7/1

Did anyone else get this e-mail? I submitted my primary on the day it opened and it got verified two days later, but I haven't gotten any e-mails. Is that bad? Also, does anyone know if they do pre-secondary screening? I'm an OOS applicant with significant ties to Georgia.
Hey my friend got the same message, I think its for people who applied last year so you're good! Not sure about the pre-secondary screening...

Hey my friend got the same message, I think its for people who applied last year so you're good! Not sure about the pre-secondary screening...

I applied last year, haven't gotten the email but then I am also not verified yet.

there is no pre-secondary screening, according to their msar page, all applicants who apply will receive a secondary app

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm. That may be the reason why then. All I can say is I know she isn't reapplying this year, and yet she still got that email.

Was she rejected or waitlisted last year? I was waitlisted two years in a row and I know last year I didn't get that email although did get an invitation to join a SMP for something based out of UGA.

Was she rejected or waitlisted last year? I was waitlisted two years in a row and I know last year I didn't get that email although did get an invitation to join a SMP for something based out of UGA.
She was rejected; one of my friends was wait-listed and hasn't mentioned anything about it to me though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well primaries are being transmitted. In the past, MCG has responded quickly so good luck everyone.

Yea it is driving me nuts too, this is my fourth attempt at them.

Hey everyone! :hello: I'm new to this forum. First of all I wish you all good luck with admissions!!! :luck:

I'm also planning on applying to MCG next year. Do you guys have any useful tips for me? I have a 3.75GPA (Master Physical Science) I want to spend this year doing research and shadowing. Any advice would be very appreciated!!

(New to SDN :oops:). I'm sorry to interrupt the flow of this topic, but for applicants applying this cycle who have been verified has anyone received a secondary application from MCG yet? I was verified on the 1st and I hope that I didn't throw out their e-mail in my spam folder.

(New to SDN :oops:). I'm sorry to interrupt the flow of this topic, but for applicants applying this cycle who have been verified has anyone received a secondary application from MCG yet? I was verified on the 1st and I hope that I didn't throw out their e-mail in my spam folder.
Nope, as far as I know they have not gone out yet.

Thank you @ShayDawg I wanted to start volunteering at the clinic in two weeks. I will love to read to the kids in pediatrics or help out the nurses wherever I can. Furthermore I wanted to do research twice a week in the same hospital. Is that also the kind of clinical experience they are looking for or do I have to tailor it?

Actually, I received mine yesterday morning. I also submitted my primary right at 9:35 and it was verified within an hour. Questions are basically the same as last year:
8. Please describe the exposure you have had to the medical profession (ex. summer program, clinical shadowing experience, ER scribe, previous degrees or certificate programs, etc.):
9. If you have shadowed a physician or have another type of clinical experience, please list the physician’s name OR type of experience (i.e. nursing, PA, EMT, ER scribe, etc.) in the description column below along with the location, dates, and the total number of hours below. Please provide more detail for each of these experiences in question # 8 above:
10. The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG Medical College of Georgia, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
11. Please describe the geographical setting in which you think you would most like to practice following medical training. Include the following information if known: The state or region of the country, the name of the county and town.
12. If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed that you feel the Admissions Committee should consider when evaluating your application. If you have had any academic problems or unevenness in your academic performance, please address that here as well:

@ShayDawg thank you, that was very helpful. I'm not a big fan of research either, unless I can work independently. We'll see how that goes... :)

@ShayDawg I am indeed EDP...so maybe that's why I got mine early. I haven't heard of other people receiving them yet. But EDP has one week to turn them in, Regular Decision has two weeks.

Is the website link they provided broken for anyone else?

Sort of figured it out: Clicking the link isn't working. Just copy and paste the address.
https://somadm.gru.edu

Last edited:
Took me 2 hours to fill out everything about Georgia residency.
Jesus, they are VERY thorough about the residency issue

You have no idea. I had to wait a few hours before my mother would respond to give me her information.

I am still waiting for my partner to send me his information.

Took me 2 hours to fill out everything about Georgia residency.
Jesus, they are VERY thorough about the residency issue
Yeah, It was nuts. I may have made a few estimates on some dates. All I'm waiting on is to submit copies of tax forms.

Hello future doctors! I am an M3 at the Athens campus. If anyone has any questions, please post here or message me. I am on rotations but will try to check in once a week or so. I was an OOS applicant and non-traditional student.

Also, we have some Open Houses in Athens that can provide applicants information from current students, professors and deans.
Those dates this year are: Sept 13, Oct 18, Nov 8, Jan 24, and Feb 7.

Reactions: 1 users
It was my understanding it was now. The first time I applied it was optional. It was new for my second cycle (I am now on fourth). They told me when I went over my application with admissions last month that they wanted to see more than one clinical letter. :(

I have an AP credit fulfilling one semester of the English coursework requirement. Any idea on how to enter this in the secondary app? The course appears on my transcript, but I'm not sure what to enter for "College Where Taken" or "Grade"?

I have an AP credit fulfilling one semester of the English coursework requirement. Any idea on how to enter this in the secondary app? The course appears on my transcript, but I'm not sure what to enter for "College Where Taken" or "Grade"?
I spoke with someone in their admissions department and they said to enter AP credit as it is on your transcript. However I'm not sure how to enter a class, Freshman Chem for example, where the lab and course are separate courses with different grades. There is a spot to select if lab is included and I'm not sure if I should separate them and just select "no" for lab included with class and "yes" for lab included with the actual lab. I'm not sure why this is required if it's already on AMCAS.

I spoke with someone in their admissions department and they said to enter AP credit as it is on your transcript. However I'm not sure how to enter a class, Freshman Chem for example, where the lab and course are separate courses with different grades. There is a spot to select if lab is included and I'm not sure if I should separate them and just select "no" for lab included with class and "yes" for lab included with the actual lab. I'm not sure why this is required if it's already on AMCAS.

That is what I did as well. At my school Chem Lab was a separate course from Chem Lecture, so for the lecture I entered "NO" for lab included and then for the lab I entered "YES" for lab included. I think this is correct because I received a separate grade for each of the classes.

That is what I did as well. At my school Chem Lab was a separate course from Chem Lecture, so for the lecture I entered "NO" for lab included and then for the lab I entered "YES" for lab included. I think this is correct because I received a separate grade for each of the classes.
Okay cool, thanks. Has anyone else been having issues with stuff disappearing even after you saved it? And is everyone else guessing on some of the dates in the residency section?

Okay cool, thanks. Has anyone else been having issues with stuff disappearing even after you saved it? And is everyone else guessing on some of the dates in the residency section?

1) The first problem you mentioned has been an on-going problem for at least the past four years.

2) I know some of my dates exactly and in others my mother would just give a month and year so I set it to the default of the first of the month which is reasonable.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anybody answering the final essay question if there are no glaring academic issues to address?

I'm not putting anything, I don't think. I feel like conciseness is the way to go with MCG's secondaries, especially since most of the prompts are so similar to the primary.

Those of you getting secondaries already, are you IS applicants?

I think the vast majority of their applicants are IS as they are in the business of turning out GA doctors.

Is anybody answering the final essay question if there are no glaring academic issues to address?
I just wrote that I am a reapplicant and gave a short description of how I improved my application