2022-2023 Medical College of Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone please send me the Groupme link; accepted 2/10, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I was waitlisted is it too early to ask admissions how I could strengthen my app for next cycle?

If I was waitlisted is it too early to ask admissions how I could strengthen my app for next cycle?
They state somewhere in their website that they would not give advice on reapp if you are currently waitlisted. Only if rejected for now.

Could I be sent the groupme link too? I was accepted 10/21. Thank you

Can someone send me groupme link?
Also can anyone speak to when campus assignments go out? I’m married and my spouse needs/wants to start job and apartment hunting

Anyone who is going to preference Athens, I would start looking for housing since housing gets taken up pretty quickly with undergrads.

For reference I got my campus assignment on 3/30

Reactions: 2 users
Current M1 at the Athens campus. Feel free to DM me for housing recommendations/leads or other questions regarding campus preference etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Current M1 at the Athens campus. Feel free to DM me for housing recommendations/leads or other questions regarding campus preference etc.
Thanks! I was accepted in November and did preference Athens but have held off looking for housing until my campus was confirmed. How likely is it that my preference will be honored? I obviously don't want to sign a lease in Athens and then get assigned to Augusta. :) Would you recommend I wait until assignments are released to begin looking?

Thanks! I was accepted in November and did preference Athens but have held off looking for housing until my campus was confirmed. How likely is it that my preference will be honored? I obviously don't want to sign a lease in Athens and then get assigned to Augusta. :) Would you recommend I wait until assignments are released to begin looking?
I'm not aware of someone that designated the Athens campus that didn't get it (take with grain of salt - this is totally dependent on the entering class and their demand for each campus). I was in a similar situation and would recommend you find your preferred housing options now so that you can submit an application immediately upon receiving your campus designation.

While I was waiting on campus assignments, I emailed property owners/managers to express interest and explain my situation. At least then they would notify me if someone else was also interested or getting close to signing the lease.

Reactions: 1 users
if anyone is really set on living in Athens and is looking for a place to live you can DM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if you're allowed to change your campus preference?
You should be able to unless there was a deadline given. You should be able to change it either in your portal or email admissions asking to change it

Can anyone share their experience applying ED to MCG? heard some horror stories and wanted to see if it would be an option for me. Did you talk to admissions people?

For those attending revisit day, how are you guys planning on dressing? Sorry for the silly Q lol

Can anyone share their experience applying ED to MCG? heard some horror stories and wanted to see if it would be an option for me. Did you talk to admissions people?
I think there are two different questions inside your question that are worth mentioning. First, should someone apply early decision. Second, should they apply to/apply early decision to MCG with the horror stories and reputation it has floating around.

The early decision question most depends on what kind of validation you want. Someone who was accepted early will swear up and down the walls that it is the greatest thing. Someone who didn't will say the opposite. The data for how many of the total class were accepted early is on MSAR. I think it was 16/260 last year. I would let your feeling on the odds/what your situation is guide you more than personal experience because the experience will be biased based on the person. There is a lot of great advice online about whether your personal situation requires or fits early decision.

However, on the second question, I would at least factor in personal experience and patterns when deciding whether to apply early to MCG or to MCG in general. I have see the horror stories and shame posts on here and reddit, and I agree. If you look at the post-match Name and Shame thread on the med student subreddit, the number one red flag and complaint about programs is if/how they lie to students for their benefit (program director says "we've ranked you highly, please rank us" while they never ranked you). That happened specifically to me and at least one other person based on the stories going around. I met with the admissions director to talk about early decision and was told in many strong words that I should absolutely apply early decision and that I'd practically be a shoo in. I interviewed with the early decision group and then was ghosted for the cycle, waitlisted, and dropped. I threw a whole cycle away based on what I was told to my face. This isn't a sob story, I'm doing just fine, and this isn't also to say that you should not apply early to MCG. There were 16 people in my group who ended up very happy with it, but I think you should consider the stories and reputation that have been shared by multiple students and applicants before you fully commit or talk to the admissions department.

And look, frankly, if mcg was your only choice or your only acceptance, you'd go there no matter the reputation of the school. You can't reject all your acceptances and we want to become physicians one way or another. I don't want to scare you away from the school, I'd attend if it was the only one who accepted me, but consider before you commit and lose your other options.

• Wow
For those attending revisit day, how are you guys planning on dressing? Sorry for the silly Q lol
Someone in the groupme called about the dress code. There isn't a specific one but they were recommended business casual and good walking shoes. That's what I am planning on.

Have any accepted students received their financial aid offers yet or know when we should expect them?

I think there are two different questions inside your question that are worth mentioning. First, should someone apply early decision. Second, should they apply to/apply early decision to MCG with the horror stories and reputation it has floating around.

The early decision question most depends on what kind of validation you want. Someone who was accepted early will swear up and down the walls that it is the greatest thing. Someone who didn't will say the opposite. The data for how many of the total class were accepted early is on MSAR. I think it was 16/260 last year. I would let your feeling on the odds/what your situation is guide you more than personal experience because the experience will be biased based on the person. There is a lot of great advice online about whether your personal situation requires or fits early decision.

However, on the second question, I would at least factor in personal experience and patterns when deciding whether to apply early to MCG or to MCG in general. I have see the horror stories and shame posts on here and reddit, and I agree. If you look at the post-match Name and Shame thread on the med student subreddit, the number one red flag and complaint about programs is if/how they lie to students for their benefit (program director says "we've ranked you highly, please rank us" while they never ranked you). That happened specifically to me and at least one other person based on the stories going around. I met with the admissions director to talk about early decision and was told in many strong words that I should absolutely apply early decision and that I'd practically be a shoo in. I interviewed with the early decision group and then was ghosted for the cycle, waitlisted, and dropped. I threw a whole cycle away based on what I was told to my face. This isn't a sob story, I'm doing just fine, and this isn't also to say that you should not apply early to MCG. There were 16 people in my group who ended up very happy with it, but I think you should consider the stories and reputation that have been shared by multiple students and applicants before you fully commit or talk to the admissions department.

And look, frankly, if mcg was your only choice or your only acceptance, you'd go there no matter the reputation of the school. You can't reject all your acceptances and we want to become physicians one way or another. I don't want to scare you away from the school, I'd attend if it was the only one who accepted me, but consider before you commit and lose your other options.
thanks for the honesty! glad things are working for you. yeah, it seems like early to MCG/Mercer might not be the best if you can cast a wide net.

In my opinion, because GA has two strong in-state preference schools (Mercer and MCG) you'd be limiting your chances by applying ED to only one of them. Not to mention Emory and Morehouse have slightly higher in-state acceptance rates too although the advantage is much smaller. If you are URM and/or a woman this is even more relevant as Morehouse's classes are majority URM and Emory's are more than 70% female. Application success is all about maximizing the number of seats you are applying to imo, especially those that have even a slight bias to accept you whether that is due to mission fit, in-state bias, or other aspects. Just my two cents.
Definitely agree. Also Morehouse accepts like 50-60% in state so it is worth it to apply. I am also an ORM and got into Morehouse so best to keep options open.

Does anyone know of any decent neighborhoods near the Augusta campus?
It depends what type of vibe you’re looking for! I’ve lived in the Augusta area for a little while now. If you care about proximity to campus, all the areas are pretty similar - older houses on the smaller side. There are some newer/nice apartments in the area.

I personally have a child so I’m all about living in the suburbs with great public schools. Evans and Grovetown are both nice areas that are about 15-20 min from campus depending on where exactly you look. Here you can still find some standard affordable apartments, but there are also some much larger and nicer homes to rent! Great if you have a family, or I suppose even if you wanted to share with other students. For me, the commute is worth it! :)

withdrawing! hope one you of lovely people gets a chance to get the A soon:)

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely agree. Also Morehouse accepts like 50-60% in state so it is worth it to apply. I am also an ORM and got into Morehouse so best to keep options open.
@onthelongroad123 @cxr322 To add to this, from what I heard from a friend who's a med student at MSM right now, 50-60% of Morehouse's med school class are UGA graduates, making UGA a strong feeder school to Morehouse, regardless of being URM or ORM. So if you're a UGA graduate/alumni, you got a strong chance at MSM. I have several ORM and white friends from UGA who went to MSM for med school.

Last edited:
@onthelongroad123 @cxr322 To add to this, from what I heard from a friend who's a med student at MSM right now, 50-60% of Morehouse's med school class are UGA graduates, making UGA a strong feeder school to Morehouse, regardless of being URM or ORM. So if you're a UGA graduate/alumni, you got a strong chance at MSM.
not a UGA grad but very good to know!

For those of you who attended the Revisit Day today - I would love to hear how it was! What were the vibes like? Did they share any docs that give more details on anything (curriculum related or otherwise)? Looking forward to meeting you guys this fall!

Has anyone received financial aid or know when it comes out? I've decided I'm withdrawing my acceptance unless I get a good financial offer. Also, is it true that mcg only gives out the 6 full and 6 half Harrison scholarships that they list on the website?

Have any accepted students received their financial aid offers yet or know when we should expect them?
Has anyone received financial aid or know when it comes out? I've decided I'm withdrawing my acceptance unless I get a good financial offer. Also, is it true that mcg only gives out the 6 full and 6 half Harrison scholarships that they list on the website?
I was going to DM this to you, but others have asked too. You made me curious so I started digging and found interesting answers. MCG does not have a lot of money for research or scholarships and it is hard to tell exactly when aid comes out. This may be in part because MCG does not offer many scholarships so most students won’t hear back about financial aid. A previous thread indicates that in total they only give the 12 scholarships to the class of 264 students and that students received them in mid-march. Aid may have already gone out and none of the 12 have self-reported. Per the dean, “In this important matter, our rankings are disappointing. We rank 85th out of 140 medical schools in scholarships awarded, and 115th out of 140 medical schools in total scholarships per total students. To put it another way, we have less than half the available grants/scholarships available per student as the national average: we have $4,255 in funding available per student versus $10,513 nationally” (Scholarships – MCG Foundation). When MCG reports that 74% of students receive aid, they are including (and mostly meaning) loans. Also, according to the MSAR numbers, MCG uses 0.15% of the total federal research grant/contracts budget for MD medical schools so they don’t receive a ton of money for aid or research funding. I suppose that means if you are one of the 12 you will have already heard or hear very soon. They would be incentivized to give out all aid well before the commit to enroll deadline since they lament that in “the recent Class of 2021, nearly 25 percent of the students we accepted chose to attend another medical school. The reason? They received a scholarship offer and nearly 30 percent got full scholarships.”

Out of curiosity, besides finances, any reason in particular why you've already decided that you'd withdraw?

If I remember correctly, they said that merit aid has been going out on a rolling basis and everyone should know whether or not they were selected by Monday.

I was notified a couple of days ago and was given a deadline to accept mid-April.

Also, if people turn down their merit scholarships, they will be redistributed.
Thank you!

Out of curiosity, besides finances, any reason in particular why you've already decided that you'd withdraw?
I went to revisit day to compare the school to some other offers and I wasn't super impressed with the vibes. I can't argue with good financial aid, but otherwise going to mcg doesn't make sense for the future I want and I think there are better fits. Fingers crossed that I can get an aid offer. Otherwise, good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Just to offer my thoughts on revisit day.. I honestly really enjoyed it! The faculty did a great job organizing the event and it was clear they really cared about the students. I met some great people and the students were really helpful as well. I’m looking forward to being a part of the class of 2027!

Reactions: 7 users
Just to offer my thoughts on revisit day.. I honestly really enjoyed it! The faculty did a great job organizing the event and it was clear they really cared about the students. I met some great people and the students were really helpful as well. I’m looking forward to being a part of the class of 2027!
I second that, I had the chance to come a little earlier and the students really seem to have a supportive community amongst themselves and the faculty!

I totally agree! Another thing that stood out was how relaxed and happy everyone seemed. Some of the other schools I’ve considered have had students that seem extremely stressed.

I totally agree! Another thing that stood out was how relaxed and happy everyone seemed. Some of the other schools I’ve considered have had students that seem extremely stressed.
Did they say anything at revist day about when we would find out campus preference?

Agree with the other posters above! Everyone was super friendly and I met so many new people! Wish the entire class could've been there so we could've met everyone, but after being there I totally understood their reasoning for the attendee limitation. It definitely would have been incredibly difficult to rotate another 100 people through the building (which is beautiful I might add). If anyone who couldn't attend has any questions about the day or the atmosphere, feel free to DM me!

I think my biggest takeaways were how noncompetitive and friendly all the current and accepted students are. Also, while sitting through the presentations it hit me how much support there really is at MCG and the breadth of opportunity, at least compared to the other schools I am considering imo. Also thought I was set on the Augusta campus but after hearing from the Athens campus, I'd be happy with either! Great meeting everyone and see you all again in just a few months! :giggle:
did they say when we would hear about campus preference?

Can anybody share info about curriculum structure? Are all lectures required attendance, or can they be watched from home? How frequent are exams, and are they mainly on in-house material or not? What courses do the M1s start with, and would any upperclassmen recommend pre-studying anything at all? I know most people say not to (not trying to be neurotic; I'm just genuinely curious). Also, what are some of the preferred third party resources used by students here? If anybody has answers to these questions or any similar questions, I would love to know the answers! Thank you!

Would someone mind sending me the link to the GroupMe for accepted students? :)

Did anyone get any news about the Harrison scholarships?
I have not gotten one so I cannot personally confirm, but I can mention something so you aren't left hanging. I heard they were supposed to finish going out last week and it seems @f8vykfmd already got one which would corroborate that. Hopefully that helps.

Does anybody know if MCG will match financial aid? If I got a scholarship form Mercer, do you think they’d match that?

Does anybody know if MCG will match financial aid? If I got a scholarship form Mercer, do you think they’d match that?
I called them and was referred to the financial aid office who said that since MCG has limited aid and a committee that oversees how it is dispersed, they have never matched scholarships from other schools before. When I pressed if there was any chance they would now, I was told they don't do that. Sorry for the bad news :/

• Sad
hey can anybody add me to the class of 2027 group me or send me the link! Thanks :)

Gave up my A today, good luck to everyone on the waitlist your time is coming so soon!!

• Care