2014-2015 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My top choice is the school that accepts me. :)

I applied to 20 and no acceptances yet. :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This whole process is really unkind...it drags on for many months. It is true that MCG does accept on a continual basis, but understand that they have to fill ~ 212 slots with Georgia residents (another ~18 OOS), and many of those will be filled during 2015. Trust me-- not being accepted by late October is no stigma. In May, some number accepted back in October will decide instead to go to Emory, Vandy, BCM, Duke, etc., after having held spots at MCG until then.That then frees up more slots. It becomes "musical chairs" in May. Years later your colleagues and patients (and before that residency slots) will not know whether you got accepted in October or June! Keep the faith!
:) :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps tomorrow will bring news! Chins up everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody else freaks out about school every couple of days? Misery loves company lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my anxiety levels tend to peak late Thursday and all throughout Friday for some reason...

Does anyone know the last time they sent out ii's? I was complete 9/5 but haven't heard anything. Should that be cause for concern yet?

Thanks!

None here :( Well i guess we can calm down until next Friday!

Does anyone know the last time they sent out ii's? I was complete 9/5 but haven't heard anything. Should that be cause for concern yet?

Thanks!

My last letter came in 9/22 (which I assume means my file was complete then, though never received any form of notification saying so)...nothing yet..don't give up hope!!

I received a "Campus Preference Request" email this morning around 9am. It was not an official acceptance so I'm not reading too much into the email. I believe they send it out to everyone who interviews. I visited the Augusta campus on 9/24 and interviewed at the Athens campus on 10/16.

Yeah, everybody I've talked to who has interviewed has received that campus preference e-mail. It is not an acceptance or a denial.
Hopefully, we will all hear something soon :)

II today!! OOS, complete around the first week of september

Reactions: 1 user
Somebody told me that they send out acceptances only once a month after the committee meetings. I'm guessing that since no one has heard yet, there will probably be some news this Thursday or Friday. Fingers crossed, anyway!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys...need a bit of advice..so I have yet to receive an II...and I was complete around 9/27...I'm aware most schools need at minimum 1 month - 2 months to fully review an application...so maybe I should be a bit more patient (easier said than done). However...I did have a couple of glaring weaknesses in my application..specifically my MCAT and clinical experience.. I did have 50+ hours shadowing 5 different physicians with 5 different specialties...but I didn't have any hospital experience. I have begun a volunteering stint in my hometown at the Urgent Care where I have direct patient interaction...asking about symptoms pertaining to the flu and common cold..if present..I proceed to mask them...with a precautionary follow up question about traveling (EBOLAAA AHHHHH)..how do I go about updating my secondary without seeming desperate? Is it really as simple as sending an email describing everything above? Also..any opinions on multiple MCATs with different section scores? My cumulative range goes from 25-31...safe to say..I couldn't pull together a solid MCAT at once....Thanks in advance!

I actually have my interview coming up, but I hope that you get an answer you like, and that I do in my own time ;)
Thank you! Fingers crossed that we will both get accepted. MCG is my top choice. Will you be interviewing at the Augusta campus? My official interview was at the Athens campus, but I had to visit the Augusta campus first. The interview day is very laid back. Just be yourself, let your personality shine, and everything else will fall into place. Best of luck!

I submitted an update to MCG via their secondary application. Just log back into your secondary and I believe there is a section for updates. I believe it specified a character limit. I don't think it is desperate at all to update the app! I would try to talk about your extracurriculars and any grades you have received since submitting your apps. Good luck :)

I found the Application Update tab...there is a character limit for the Title..but not for the document uploaded! Thanks for the advice!

I wish the rational part of my brain knew that checking this forum 100000000 times a day will not make news come any faster...

Hey, so can people who's interviewed there give us some questions asked? I know it's laid back, but it's still good to know what I'm dealing with before going in. Thanks in advance!

P.S. or how you think we can prepare for it =)

Last edited:
Hey, so can people who's interviewed there give us some questions asked? I know it's laid back, but it's still good to know what I'm dealing with before going in. Thanks in advance!

P.S. or how you think we can prepare for it =)

During my open file interview the only questions I was asked were:
Tell me about yourself.
Why do you want to be a doctor?
What do you think the biggest problem in healthcare is, how would you fix it?

During my closed file interview, pretty much every question was about stuff in my file. I was asked about my extracurriculars, my shadowing experience, all that good stuff.

So pretty much just know your file, and maybe review some stuff about the current state of healthcare.

I'm antsy today.

C'mon, MCG. Put me out of my misery.

I'd settle for tomorrow even. I don't think that's too much to ask...

I'm also hoping for tomorrow. I interviewed on October 14th. That's probably not as long as most, but I've been super antsy every Thursday/Friday since. Best of luck to everyone! Maybe if we wish hard enough, we'll all be gifted with acceptance letters tomorrow.

So I guess nobody has heard anything yet...Fingers crossed for tomorrow....:confused:o_O:borg:

So I realized this morning that most adcom members are probably vacationing in Florida today. I'm thinking no news till next week :(

GA/FL game. Half the state of Georgia generally attends the game. I also heard from someone that interviewed recently that they were told the first decisions could be expected early November. Next Friday perhaps?

Realllllly sorry about this being my third post in a row but I wanted to answer you and I'm not really sure how to use this forum that much. I only post on the school-specific threads and asked a few MCAT questions in the past ;)

I'm interviewing at the Augusta campus. I live in Athens and have already been to the Athens campus several times (also had a biostatistics class on the Health Sciences Campus) so while I would have felt more comfortable interviewing there, I didn't want to wait until the next time that an Athens slot was available. It's disappointing, because I met a lot of the faculty from Athens over the past year or two and that might have been advantageous to me. On the other hand, maybe it wouldn't have. Anyway, my interview is coming up soon and I'm so excited!

I can definitely understand why you jumped on the earlier Augusta interview, but I may have some good news for you. Please clarify this info during your actual interview. If you were given the option to choose to interview at either campus then I believe you may still have a chance at requesting the Athens campus after your interview. After my interview, I received a "Campus Preference Email"...I chose Athens :) Basically, it directs you to the Campus Selection tab on the application website. I was able to choose between Athens, Augusta, or no preference. They also have a free text box so you can write an compelling reason (I think you would have one) as to why you want that particular campus.

I can definitely understand why you jumped on the earlier Augusta interview, but I may have some good news for you. Please clarify this info during your actual interview. If you were given the option to choose to interview at either campus then I believe you may still have a chance at requesting the Athens campus after your interview. After my interview, I received a "Campus Preference Email"...I chose Athens :) Basically, it directs you to the Campus Selection tab on the application website. I was able to choose between Athens, Augusta, or no preference. They also have a free text box so you can write an compelling reason (I think you would have one) as to why you want that particular campus.

Yeah, after everyone's interview, no matter the campus you interview at (I was only offered Augusta for my interview) you are given this option. It does not impact their decision of your file or anything like that, but you are able to select the campus you prefer.

Sup guys, anyone know about volunteer opportunities at MCG? Saw that there's a homeless clinic, but wasn't sure if that's an option available for med students

From what I remember, there are quite a few...community clinic, latina clinic, teddy bear clinic (playing with kids so they are less afraid of doctors), and maybe another? Shadowing opportunities were many as well.

Hey everyone!!

Just wanted to let everyone know about this:
There is an Open House this Saturday at the Athens campus. Doors open at 10am and the program starts at 10:30am. The Open House features brief remarks from Deans, a student panel, student led tours and a meet & greet with Deans, professors and students.

Anyone interested in learning more about the Athens campus is invited to attend. Please see for more information: http://medicalpartnership.usg.edu/n...n_houses_scheduled_at_the_medical_partnership.

There are a few of us M3s from Athens that try to keep an eye on this thread. We're happy to answer any questions that come up! For everyone in the process- good luck!!! The waiting sucks, I know, but try to be patient.

Any new IIs or acceptances yet?! My recommendation letters (last thing to finish my file) went in around the first week of October and haven't heard anything since then. Email is my new best friend!

Any new IIs or acceptances yet?! My recommendation letters (last thing to finish my file) went in around the first week of October and haven't heard anything since then. Email is my new best friend!
We're hoping to hear something today. *crosses fingers*

I hate this . . . Secondary complete the first week of August and still no II :( 32 MCAT 3.9 science and cumulative GPA, In-state Resident . . . Dying

No acceptance emails so far. Hoping they send them out after lunch. I'll just be patient in the meantime.

@ProYvo7 - I was confused by your last two posts...and then I realized that today is NOT Wednesday.

I'm behind.

Has anyone been to interview at Athens that is willing to describe their experience there?

No acceptance emails so far. Hoping they send them out after lunch. I'll just be patient in the meantime.

Last year the first big pile of acceptances wasn't sent out till December. Sorry guys, just chill for the next.. month and a half or so.

I received a "Campus Preference Request" email this morning around 9am. It was not an official acceptance so I'm not reading too much into the email. I believe they send it out to everyone who interviews. I visited the Augusta campus on 9/24 and interviewed at the Athens campus on 10/16.
What was the interview like in Athens?

What was the interview like in Athens?
Hi caericson :) I was planning on responding to your post the other day, but I've been traveling for work and I've finally got some downtime. My Athens interview experience was one of my favorites. When looking at schools, a small, close-knit, supportive, family time environment is high my list. I felt like my Athens interview experience mirrored what it will be like as a student there.

First, when I arrived at the Office of Admissions, there was only one other candidate there. I thought to myself, "Wow, everyone must be running late". Lo and behold, we were the only 2 candidates! I was very impressed with how intimate Athen's interview process is because I'm used to being in a group of 10-20 in my other interviews. During the first 30 minutes, we met with Dr. Lee and she went over the curriculum and how the program in Athens differs from Augusta. After that, I had an open file interview an MD and the other candidate stayed with Dr. Lee for the interview. Next, we switched interviewers and my interview with Dr. Lee was closed file..

After our interviews, two students gave us a tour and introduced us to different faculty and current students. During the tour activities, my overall impression is that this is a place where everyone knows your name and you are not just a number. It was very apparent that the faculty and students develop close relationships. The students collaborate with each other and are super supportive of each other. I also like that the cost of living is super cheap in Athens and GRU-MCG Partnership students have full access to all of UGA's amenities and facilities.

I hope this gives you some insight about the Athen's interview experience. Let me know if you have any more questions. Are you interviewing there soon? If you are looking for a small, close-knit environment then I think you'll fall in love!

Hi caericson :) I was planning on responding to your post the other day, but I've been traveling for work and I've finally got some downtime. My Athens interview experience was one of my favorites. When looking at schools, a small, close-knit, supportive, family time environment is high my list. I felt like my Athens interview experience mirrored what it will be like as a student there.

First, when I arrived at the Office of Admissions, there was only one other candidate there. I thought to myself, "Wow, everyone must be running late". Lo and behold, we were the only 2 candidates! I was very impressed with how intimate Athen's interview process is because I'm used to being in a group of 10-20 in my other interviews. During the first 30 minutes, we met with Dr. Lee and she went over the curriculum and how the program in Athens differs from Augusta. After that, I had an open file interview an MD and the other candidate stayed with Dr. Lee for the interview. Next, we switched interviewers and my interview with Dr. Lee was closed file..

After our interviews, two students gave us a tour and introduced us to different faculty and current students. During the tour activities, my overall impression is that this is a place where everyone knows your name and you are not just a number. It was very apparent that the faculty and students develop close relationships. The students collaborate with each other and are super supportive of each other. I also like that the cost of living is super cheap in Athens and GRU-MCG Partnership students have full access to all of UGA's amenities and facilities.

I hope this gives you some insight about the Athen's interview experience. Let me know if you have any more questions. Are you interviewing there soon? If you are looking for a small, close-knit environment then I think you'll fall in love!

Yes I'm interviewing here in the next few weeks. Thanks for being so detailed, I loved my tour in Augusta and am looking forward to seeing Athens now.

Interview is tomorrow. So nervous as this is my top choice. :(

Reactions: 2 users
Sup guys, anyone know about volunteer opportunities at MCG? Saw that there's a homeless clinic, but wasn't sure if that's an option available for med students
Once you get your white coat in the beginning of first year you can start going to the nightly free clinics, they are student run and there is usually one attending and resident there and up to 4 students. They do homeless, women's, Asian, and Hispanic nights. In second year you can be a coordinator for these if you want.

The classes usually designate volunteer coordinators that will bring up other random opportunities as they arise. We have a lot of opportunities that revolve around the Children's Medical Center. In first year I went and made arts and crafts with the kids on more than one occasion, volunteered at the Ronald McDonald house, and sang carols inside the hospital at Christmas time. There are also numerous camps for sick kids that take place either a week or weekend at various times of the year, and I didn't do these but I hear it's an awesome experience. If you want to do something on your own there, you can volunteer to go read to kids and tutor in your free time.

There is usually a large medical mission trip for about 2 weeks that occurs at the beginning of the summer after first year to Peru (I'm not sure if they are going somewhere else now), so a lot of people did that and were still back in time to do research, and a few students spent their entire summer there. Doctors and some of the medical specialty interest groups will also randomly ask for volunteers for different events like march of dimes, too. Bottom line, there will be more volunteer opportunities than you have time for.

Awesome... sounds like there are a lot haha thanks dude!

Hey guys back from the interview: It went great but so did everyone elses'. My interviewer told me that everyone in the admissions commitee advocates for their interviewee so it's always a dead heat. Basically, no one really knows how they choose who gets in. C'est la vie, but the committee met last night and might be sending out acceptances today! (Not me, of course, that would be some turn-around.) The committee meets once a month to send out acceptances so good luck everyone!