2014-2015 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting nervous too. I was complete about a month ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Did anyone receive an email or any other notification stating the application is complete? My last letter came in a few days ago and its listed under the secondary, but I have yet to receive any notification they've seen it and are processing my application. I'm assuming I should just call them to confirm?

Hey guys! Did anyone receive an email or any other notification stating the application is complete? My last letter came in a few days ago and its listed under the secondary, but I have yet to receive any notification they've seen it and are processing my application. I'm assuming I should just call them to confirm?

I never received any confirmation at all but got my ii last Wednesday. Seems like they are coming out at random times now. Complete mid-july! Patience I suppose :)

I never received any confirmation at all but got my ii last Wednesday. Seems like they are coming out at random times now. Complete mid-july! Patience I suppose :)
Are you IS or OOS?

Has anyone out of state received an ii?

Anyone have thoughts on logistics of getting to MCG if you're flying in from out of state?? Is it easy to get from the airport to the campus, etc?

I've been to Augusta a few times but never flied their regional airport...I live three hours away..so we always drove...however, you could fly in to Atlanta and make the drive to Augusta...if I remember correctly it's about a 2 hour drive..so not too bad!

I have an interview here September 30th. Does anyone know if they do open file or closed file interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
When completing the Course Schedule section of the secondary application, are we supposed to enter all the courses that we have taken that fulfill the requirements, or just enough courses to demonstrate that we have met the requirements?

For biology courses, did you only list the ones that had a lab component?

For AP credits, what did you put for the course number/school/grade?

Last edited:
I put the minimum amount of courses needed to fulfill their requirements...never understood why secondaries have this section when they have all of our information..but i digress...as far as listing lab components..theres an option to list the course with a lab..or you can list each component separately..for example..at my school...Biology comes with Lab..meaning..theres only one course number...conversely...genetics doesnt..and theres separate course numbers..so I had three listings under the Bio requirement..Biology with a Y for Lab...Genetics lecture..and Genetics Lab. For AP...I listed the course number that the credit fulfilled (i.e...if the credit was used to replace BIOL 1001...I put that)...though you took the class in high school..it is college credit..so I put my college name..and for grade I put N/A

Anyone else receive interviews recently? I submitted secondary 7/28..but my last letter came in 9/22..which means my app was complete just a week ago. The wait continues...

Totally got excited today when I saw an email from them saying to come visit... turns out its just an email from the College of Admission suggesting to participate in a Health Sciences Closer Look Tour to explore the campus. I guess that's a friendly rejection :p OOS so not banking on a success story here

Totally got excited today when I saw an email from them saying to come visit... turns out its just an email from the College of Admission suggesting to participate in a Health Sciences Closer Look Tour to explore the campus. I guess that's a friendly rejection :p OOS so not banking on a success story here

I got it too. It was not from the College of Medicine Admissions Office, but rather the regular Admissions office. That's so weird. So you think they rejected us and then gave our contact info to the regular undergraduate/graduate admissions office?

I got it too. It was not from the College of Medicine Admissions Office, but rather the regular Admissions office. That's so weird. So you think they rejected us and then gave our contact info to the regular undergraduate/graduate admissions office?

Oh yeah, you are right. I think it is a rejection. You know something along the lines of do a Master program with our school and apply again. I dont know... I am a negative person. At least we are on some type of list :p

Oh yeah, you are right. I think it is a rejection. You know something along the lines of do a Master program with our school and apply again. I dont know... I am a negative person. At least we are on some type of list :p

If this is really a rejection, this is totally unprofessional. It doesn't make me feel better if you don't tell me I'm rejected when I really am, and then give me an email about other programs at your school. I would feel much better if I know early on whether you really don't want me. #endrant

If this is really a rejection, this is totally unprofessional. It doesn't make me feel better if you don't tell me I'm rejected when I really am, and then give me an email about other programs at your school. I would feel much better if I know early on whether you really don't want me. #endrant

Oh I agree. The most annoying part of this entire process is when they say , "hey, I know you spent tons of $ applying this year, how about another 30K + for pretty MS degree..then maybe an acceptance!"

For the sake of not making people annoyed on this thread I also end rant. Good luck with the rest of your applications! And hey if you dont have a formal rejection I say stay positive.

Reactions: 1 user
To be fair though, they were the only school that provided us with a free secondary.

I have to assume a rejection email/letter is imminent. I can't imagine a school simply advertising their undergraduate institution and claiming that as their rejection letter.

To be fair though, they were the only school that provided us with a free secondary.

What does that have to do with anything?

"Our secondary was free of charge; therefore, we will not be incorporating any sense of transparency during our application season. You may receive vague emails from within our School System and it is up to you to interpret what they mean."

Give me a break.

I don't think it is a rejection. I have an upcoming interview and I also received one of these. Could be that the two committees are unrelated.

Reactions: 2 users
I felt the air from ggmills' exhale from here.

I got that invite for the Closer Look too...I thought it was a chance to get a feel for the campus, not necessarily a rejection. Now I feel dumb for RSVPing and booking a flight! :(

I got that invite for the Closer Look too...I thought it was a chance to get a feel for the campus, not necessarily a rejection. Now I feel dumb for RSVPing and booking a flight! :(

I think you did the right thing. They may see your presence there as a sign of interest in the school

I think you did the right thing. They may see your presence there as a sign of interest in the school
That's what I was hoping! Fingers crossed! I really like this school but I'm OOS with lower end stats.... ugh.

It'll be tough since MCG is a state school..but you are already aware of that and the percentage of OOS...worst case scenario..you lose no money ;)

I also got that email but I had an interview today, so I think it doesn't mean anything bad.

I also got that email but I had an interview today, so I think it doesn't mean anything bad.
What was the interview day like? I have mine in a couple of days, and I'm starting to get nervous.

What was the interview day like? I have mine in a couple of days, and I'm starting to get nervous.

It was really good! It was my first ever interview so I was pretty nervous, but everyone at the admissions office is really super nice and welcoming. They really do their best to put you at ease. The first interview I had, in the morning, was pretty relaxed and conversational. My second interview was with a 2nd year medical student. He was really nice too, but he asked a lot more questions and it was much less conversational. But that was a closed file interview so most of what he asked was just stuff I had already put on my application, no real difficult questions.

The tour guides were also great, very helpful. Overall it was a really good interview experience. Hoping to get in here.
Good luck on your interview!

Did everyone get the second email about the tour mistake? It's for undergraduate admissions, not prospective med students!

Did everyone get the second email about the tour mistake? It's for undergraduate admissions, not prospective med students!
Yeah. That actually clarifies a lot of things. I was slightly confused by why they would send an email to medical school applicants encouraging them to check out health-related careers.

congrats! mind sharing your stats?! additionally, did you receive any confirmation that your application was complete?

Definitely, 29(9/12/8 PS/VR/BS) MCAT, ~3.4 GPA, URM. I had an extensive amount of research experience and publications, including one first-authored paper. As well, I did the closer look tour and was pretty amazed by their facilities and campus.

Edit: Oops, forgot to answer the last question, I did not receive a complete e-mail; the e-mail previous to the interview invite was telling me they haven't received my letters yet.

Any rejections yet? I have yet to receive an II or any other email...I was complete 9/19...getting a bit worried. I do have an additional MCAT score coming in about a week..so they could be holding off a decision until then..thoughts?

I'm getting really nervous right now . . . my application was complete with all documents on August 6th, and I have yet to receive an II. In-state, 32 MCAT, 3.84 sGPA, 3.89 cGPA, Research, Shadowing, Volunteering . . . I hate this.

I know it's not fun but don't give up hope! Most of the current students from this school that I have talked to did not interview until January and February. It's still early, still plenty of time!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! I am in a similar situation...just completed an MCAT..waiting on my score in a week...so hopefully I can get a late interview!

Last edited:
Congrats! I am in a similar situation...just completed an MCAT..waiting on my score in a week...so hopefully I can get a late interview!

Good luck on that MCAT and I hope you have some luck with admissions :)

Does anybody know when will the committee meet and decide who gets in and who doesn't?

At my interview we were told that the committee meets once a month now to send out acceptances. Probably around October 15th will be the first round of acceptances, I think.

I interviewed here yesterday. I don't do medapps, so here's my interview rundown for you guys.

It's a pretty straightforward and standard day, I thought. MCG isn't super fancy, but the staff, students, and interviewers were so polite and helpful. There were 10 total interviewees, all very different. Each student has 2, 30-minute 1-on-1 interviews. One open file, one closed. The open file interview was standard, I would guess. I won't give specifics, but know your file and know yourself and you will be fine. The closed file, for me, was the better interview. I had a fantastic interviewer for the closed file and thoroughly enjoyed our talk. It was such a good chat that we went a full hour.

The day breaks down like this:

8:30 meet and chat with your group. Have coffee. Grab a breakfast bar.
9:00-10:00 Meet and greet in the conference room with overview slideshow from admissions staff.
10:30-12:00 First round of interviews.
12:00-1:00 Lunch with current students. We had 3 join us to answer questions. The Vice Dean (If I'm remembering correctly) and the Dean of Admissions stopped by but didn't stay.
1:00-2:00 Tour time.
2:30-4:00 Second round of interviews.

I left feeling pretty good about MCG. It is a bargain for a medical education, but still seems to be keeping up with (if not on the cutting edge) of the times. They are opening a brand new building for med students this week that will provide a great home base for all students. This year they implemented a student "houses" program of 10 first years + 10 second years for socializing and peer mentoring as a way to make the large class size (190) feel a bit smaller. I love the idea. The students seem to like it so far. I also learned that first years is P/F but second is graded. They want you to get adjusted and make connections with your future colleagues before ranking and creating competition.

Augusta, unfortunately, leaves a bit to be desired. It does seem to be developing, but on the whole it's pretty basic. We had one fancy meal at a place called Frog Hollow that was bananas good. It's on the pricey side, but so good. On the bright side, the cost of living in Augusta is CHEAP. You could seriously get out of here with much less debt than the average med student. So. Cheap.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users