2014-2015 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II for Regular decision. All available interviews were in Augusta from early September to early October with no Friday slots. I'm IS but had no physician LOR.

Members don't see this ad.

ok....all of you MCATers need to teach me your ways! lol..congrats to all!

Congrats you guys! When did you all submit the secondary though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up, I just received an interview invite. They are only offering them at the Augusta campus, so that other guy/girl who claimed to have received his/hers was full of poop. Good luck

Regular Decision

Hey congrats! Sorry if I caused any confusion by saying that I am interviewing at the Athens campus.

Apparently, I was selected for a "pilot program which allows a small group of applicants to interview at either the Athens Campus or the Augusta Campus." Not everyone will have the option to interview at the Athens campus.

Again, I apologize for the confusion. I may be "full of poop," but I do not lie. Good luck on your interview!

Reactions: 3 users
early decision interview went well. Waiting till October.

GPA: 3.75 sGPA 3.64 I think
MCAT: 31
2 LOR from physicians
150 hours of shadowing

Reactions: 1 user
was it this past Friday?

early decision interview went well. Waiting till October.

GPA: 3.75 sGPA 3.64 I think
MCAT: 31
2 LOR from physicians
150 hours of shadowing

has anyone's transcript status on the documents section changed to "receive"?

has anyone's transcript status on the documents section changed to "receive"?
Per the secondary app instructions:

"Transcripts are required in this office only for Accepted and Alternate List applicants by deadlines listed in later notifications. The status of your transcripts on the App Status Tab only reflects transcripts that have actually been sent to and received by this office and not those sent to AMCAS for the primary application."

So don't worry about it. :)

Anyone on here know someone who got accepted EDP last cycle? If so, do you know how long after the interview they had to wait for a decision? I know the official date is Oct but I just can't imagine it taking them so long.

Per the secondary app instructions:

"Transcripts are required in this office only for Accepted and Alternate List applicants by deadlines listed in later notifications. The status of your transcripts on the App Status Tab only reflects transcripts that have actually been sent to and received by this office and not those sent to AMCAS for the primary application."

So don't worry about it. :)
Thanks! I was worried! haha Thanks for clearing that up!

When did all of you getting the RD IIs submit the secondary application? I submitted mine August 12, so I'm not particularly worried that I missed any correspondence from them, but the wait is just killing me.

RD II today! :) Submitted my secondary 7/23 but wasn't complete until 8/18 (MCAT and letters of rec)

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind sharing your stats?

Sure but I'm a bit of a non-trad so keep that in mind. 3.6c/3.3s, 30 MCAT fairly balanced, top 15 university, very service/community oriented ECs

Reactions: 1 users
Sure but I'm a bit of a non-trad so keep that in mind. 3.6c/3.3s, 30 MCAT fairly balanced, top 15 university, very service/community oriented ECs
Thanks! Also, are you IS or OOS?

Hey congrats! Sorry if I caused any confusion by saying that I am interviewing at the Athens campus.

Apparently, I was selected for a "pilot program which allows a small group of applicants to interview at either the Athens Campus or the Augusta Campus." Not everyone will have the option to interview at the Athens campus.

Again, I apologize for the confusion. I may be "full of poop," but I do not lie. Good luck on your interview!

I'm watching you @jpham7

I got the same thing about being selected to choose either Athens or Augusta for the interview so jpham7's not full of poop lmao

II today (available dates were from mid sep to late oct. decided to choose late sep)
I got both Athens/Augusta interview. I live much closer to Athens, but cannot make it on the dates available.

GPA - 3.9, both cum and sci, from top school
MCAT - 36 but very unbalanced (less than 10 for verbal)
IS
No physician letter
Lots of research experience, one published paper in top journal (not CNS)
about 100 hours of hospital experiences

Complete date (early-mid august)

Dude what is with all of these rock star regular decision applicants. I hope you all interview on a different day than me. Maybe they needed to balance their class out with some shmucks.

haha tell me about it! But keep in mind this IS a forum...and presumably...only motivated individuals would seek advice through all forms of media...so chances are..you are going to find stellar apps on this...but I feel your pain. With the stats above, it is going to be a difficult task getting into my state school...which is quite depressing if you ask me lol But then again, getting into medical school was never supposed to be easy...if I can just land an interview....

EDP accepted today! Before I gorge myself on pizza to celebrate, here are my stats:

cGPA/sGPA: 3.9x/3.8x I think
Mcat 32, 12:10:10
5 credit hours research with no publications, decent amount of EC's
1 MD LOR
In state

Good luck to everyone! I hope to see you all in August 2015!!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry if I sound really stupid, but what does EDP stand for?

EDP accepted today! Before I gorge myself on pizza to celebrate, here are my stats:

cGPA/sGPA: 3.9x/3.8x I think
Mcat 32, 12:10:10
5 credit hours research with no publications, decent amount of EC's
1 MD LOR
In state

Good luck to everyone! I hope to see you all in August 2015!!

Congrats!!! Have an extra slice for me :)

Guess I'll see you next August :D

Hey everyone!!!

I'm an M3 at the Athens campus.

Just wanted to let you all know that there will be an open house this weekend for anyone who is interested in learning more about the Athens campus and going on a tour of the campus. Here's a link for all the important information: http://medicalpartnership.usg.edu/n...n_houses_scheduled_at_the_medical_partnership. We have open houses once a month, so if you can't make it to Athens this weekend, there will be more opportunities.

If you have any questions about the Athens campus, feel free to ask on here or PM me. Hope to see some of you on Saturday for the open house!

Hey just a quick question. We don't need to send in the transcripts, right?
And how do you know whether your file is complete or not?
(secondary app is submitted and received and MCG also received my rec letters)

Thank you so much in advance.

EDP accepted!!! So excited!!! Good luck everyone!

Hello! I am currently working on the secondary application and an OOS. Just to clarify, do I need to provide any of the documents in section III ..since I am not claiming to be a legal resident of GA?

Just want to make sure I got that part straight. Also I know the acceptance is incredibly slim...but hey its a free secondary wont hurt!

I wouldn't think so. I believe that entire section is dedicated towards those that are in-state. And you are right....why not submit when it's free?! and MCG had 6.5% matriculate from OOS last year...and some say it is supposed to increase? So you never know!

Hey just a quick question. We don't need to send in the transcripts, right?
And how do you know whether your file is complete or not?
(secondary app is submitted and received and MCG also received my rec letters)

Thank you so much in advance.

Hey samsuni, they only requests transcripts once you're accepted. And if you look on the secondary site and click the tab "App Status" it will tell you when your secondary was received and below that when your letters were received.

Hey samsuni, they only requests transcripts once you're accepted. And if you look on the secondary site and click the tab "App Status" it will tell you when your secondary was received and below that when your letters were received.
thanks for the reply! hope you are have a great day!

I may be overthinking this, so bear with me...
Haven't heard back from MCG after submitting my secondary. Submitted on July 21st (LOR got there early July). I just logged on to the secondary app portal, and when I click on the "Interview" tab it says "You have not been invited to interview."
Does this mean they just haven't made a decision yet, or did

I may be overthinking this, so bear with me...
Haven't heard back from MCG after submitting my secondary. Submitted on July 21st (LOR got there early July). I just logged on to the secondary app portal, and when I click on the "Interview" tab it says "You have not been invited to interview."
Does this mean they just haven't made a decision yet, or did

You're playing mind games with yourself! My status said the same thing until they extended an interview invite. The email invite they sent wasn't too warm either; pretty much just said you've been invited to interview, so go to this link to schedule one. MCG seems to be pretty void of emotion during this process so stay positive and hope for the best!

just submitted the secondary. 3.8, 34, shadowed 3 doctors, 1 sent a letter of rec. OOS and NO state ties except some family live there. hoping this school helps me out. I had a good feeling about them until I read they don't love people out of state :/

just submitted the secondary. 3.8, 34, shadowed 3 doctors, 1 sent a letter of rec. OOS and NO state ties except some family live there. hoping this school helps me out. I had a good feeling about them until I read they don't love people out of state :/

Keep in mind they only accept <5% OOS! but you are well qualified to matriculate! Good luck!

Has anyone gotten application complete e-mails?

re:

Unless something has changed, MCG pretty much has taken just a handful OOS each year and those might mainly be MD/PhD candidates. I hate to say this, but it seems like many of the public medical schools make a tidy sum collecting application fees from OOS applicants. Places like UCF (fairly new and seeking to make a name for themselves) and UVM (cannot fill a class from their small state) really do actively seek OOS students. Many others seem to be substantially going through the motions with OOS acceptance prospects.

Unless something has changed, MCG pretty much has taken just a handful OOS each year and those might mainly be MD/PhD candidates. I hate to say this, but it seems like many of the public medical schools make a tidy sum collecting application fees from OOS applicants. Places like UCF (fairly new and seeking to make a name for themselves) and UVM (cannot fill a class from their small state) really do actively seek OOS students. Many others seem to be substantially going through the motions with OOS acceptance prospects.

MCG does not have a secondary fee.

MCG doesn't have a secondary fee, but similar to Mercer, focuses on taking residents of Georgia simply because they are more likely to practice in the state. This policy makes sense because they invest in us by offering a spot and a medical degree...so what is their return on investment? us working for them..or a near by hospital.

What I meant to say was that it is largely an illusion that OOS acceptance might happen at MCG, or at MOST public medical schools. This is certainly not meant to argue against MCG having a rightful substantial bias toward IS applicants, just as other state/public schools do toward their respective IS students. Even though IS tuition has increased appreciably in recent years, Georgia taxpayers still surely subsidize the costs. It is only right that OOS tuition should be twice as much at $54,516/year. Intuitively, Georgia resident applicants would indeed be more likely later to practice in Georgia. Most public medical schools (other than MCG) collect healthy application fees from their OOS applicants even though a tiny percentage will be accepted or attend.

Looking @ MCG's latest enrollment data, with the much larger class (230) MCG HAS actually increased OOS acceptances up to 18 from a mere handful (5 or 6) in the past. Ergo, I sit corrected about OOS prospects by absolute number. OOS applicants are 1,564 versus 1,252 for IS applicants. Those 1,564 OOS applicants have a 1.1% chance of enrollment (18/1,564). IS applicants, in contrast, have about a 17% chance of enrollment (212/1252), albeit a somewhat higher chance of acceptance. Intuitively, the OOS acceptees likely have higher average LizzyM's (MCAT and GPA averages).

http://www.gru.edu/mcg/admissions/facts.php
http://www.gru.edu/mcg/admissions/application/index.php

So who has applied regular decision and received an interview invite? I submitted my secondary near the end of July and I'm getting a little worried.

I received an invite a few weeks ago. But I was complete first week of July