2014-2015 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone tried to email the admissions office this week? I emailed them a question on Saturday and still haven't heard back...

alright so the information session that I linked to earlier was not that helpful. Dr. Duncan did say that for reapplicants it would be good to put a little blurb in the secondary on why you are reapplying/how you have strengthened your application (I'm assuming under the section for anything else you would like for the admissions committee to know).
sadly I already submitted....

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone figured out how to print the MCG application before submitting?

Apologies if this question is stupid, but um, is there no secondary fee? I submitted it, and nothing happened except to say...it was submitted.

Apologies if this question is stupid, but um, is there no secondary fee? I submitted it, and nothing happened except to say...it was submitted.
MCG does not have a fee for its secondary application. How nice right? If you submitted the application and uploaded all your files, then you are done.

Reactions: 1 user
MCG does not have a fee for its secondary application. How nice right? If you submitted the application and uploaded all your files, then you are done.

Loving you right now. Experienced my first free secondary! Thanks for letting me know.

Hey applicants! In addition to 2ndCareerMD I also tend to follow these threads. I'm a 3rd year from the Augusta campus so I'll try to answer questions when I'm free.

Now, most of you have a long year of waiting ahead of you. You're gonna either be waiting for a secondary, interview invite, interview, wait list, acceptance, and for the lucky ones who get accepted, you'll be waiting for med school to start. Try and stay sane and not so neurotic. I'm sure if you're on this forum reading this in July that you won't listen to this advice, but don't waste such an exciting time in your life being nervous and scared. Obviously, be realistic about the future if things are looking grim, but worrying all day and checking SDN every hour and calling the adcomm because you're worried the bow tie you wore to your interview gave off the wrong impression isn't going to help.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
For the Regional Campus question, is anyone saying No to this? I feel like I'm not in a position to say No as my goal is to be accepted period. But I also don't fully understand how the campus situation works with MCG. Could someone please explain? Thanks.

About to start at MCG and super excited! :D I want to be helpful about the campus question, so I'll tell you what I did and you can take it or leave it. I'm from Augusta, but like you, really just wanted to be accepted. I marked that I don't mind being placed at regional campuses; and that's the truth. I don't think they take this into account when deciding to offer you an interview; but I could easily be very wrong about this point. I would err on the side of caution.

Once I was accepted, they asked me to fill out a campus preference - a totally different box/part of the application - wherein I said my preference was the Augusta campus, at least for the first 2 years, since my family is established here and I have a solid support system. Then about a month later they told me I would be attending the Augusta campus. Yay!

The way I've come to understand it, the Augusta campus is basically the default option, unless you have strong ties or reasoning to want to attend the Athens campus. After all, we have almost 200 students at the main campus! This was also the first year - I think - that someone did not get their first choice, as the Athens campus was already filled.

I hate to have so many qualifiers in there, but most of my knowledge is based on my experience, or stories from my classmates.

About to start at MCG and super excited! :D I want to be helpful about the campus question, so I'll tell you what I did and you can take it or leave it. I'm from Augusta, but like you, really just wanted to be accepted. I marked that I don't mind being placed at regional campuses; and that's the truth. I don't think they take this into account when deciding to offer you an interview; but I could easily be very wrong about this point. I would err on the side of caution.

Once I was accepted, they asked me to fill out a campus preference - a totally different box/part of the application - wherein I said my preference was the Augusta campus, at least for the first 2 years, since my family is established here and I have a solid support system. Then about a month later they told me I would be attending the Augusta campus. Yay!

The way I've come to understand it, the Augusta campus is basically the default option, unless you have strong ties or reasoning to want to attend the Athens campus. After all, we have almost 200 students at the main campus! This was also the first year - I think - that someone did not get their first choice, as the Athens campus was already filled.

I hate to have so many qualifiers in there, but most of my knowledge is based on my experience, or stories from my classmates.

Great, thanks! I'm going to go ahead and mark that I don't mind being placed at the regional campuses. Also, congrats on MCG! Just a couple more weeks til the big day ;)

Did anyone receive a confirmation email after submitting the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
The policy I was aware of was <5% OOS. The most recent admissions fact sheet says the incoming class has 18 (out of 230) students designated as nonresidents. So the math may not be as hard a rule as I thought.
http://www.gru.edu/mcg/admissions/facts.php

I was an OOS acceptance and am not an MD/PhD or anything.
They will want to know ties to the state, this is important and a successful candidate will have more than a passing connection to Georgia.

Hey Guys, I was just verified today! I had a quick question about MCG's letter of rec requirement on their secondary :

" The three letters of recommendation include one from the Pre-Health Advisory committee from the undergraduate institution and two personal references. It is strongly recommended that one of the personal recommendations comes from a physician."

My school requires us to submit 4 letters ( I sent one science professor, one non-science professor, one volunteer and one research) for our pre health committee letter. It seems like MCG is saying I need two additional letter separate from the 4 included in the committee letter?? Is this correct? Can anyone who already sent their secondary or applied in the past tell me about their experience?

I'm going to call as well to make sure I don't mess up. I think it would be nearly impossible to get two letters in 2 weeks.

EDIT: I called my undergraduate institution and they confirmed they send all the 4 letters along with the one they draft. I also called MCG and they said it was fine to list those as personal.

Last edited:
EDP applicants: Have you heard anything from MCG since you submitted your secondary?

Just submitted secondary, applying OOS from Florida, no ties but going for it anyway haha.

I just submitted the secondary app, but it felt like it didn't register or something. . .my "app status" says I submitted, but I didnt receive a confirmation email, and there was no secondary fee payment? Did I do this right?

I just submitted the secondary app, but it felt like it didn't register or something. . .my "app status" says I submitted, but I didnt receive a confirmation email, and there was no secondary fee payment? Did I do this right?
Yeah you are okay

Do you recommend responding to the secondary app questions in bullet points or paragraph form? They only give us 400 words...

Wait if my application is complete, will they review it if I haven't submitted documentation about residence yet??

I'm not sure, I didn't really understand either if we needed to submit it before they would review it. I just went ahead and submitted it to be safe.

Got my interview invite Thursday for early decision :)

I'm trying to think of good responses for when they ask why I want to go to MCG over other schools. Right now I'm really interested in emergency pediatric medicine, so I was going to talk about their residency program in that, as well as their regional campus in Brunswick - my parents are moving to St. Simons. I've met a few docs at Scottish Rite that went to MCG. The doc I shadowed there said she would rather work with a doc from Mercer or MCG than a doc from Emory any day, because MCG/Mercer students get more exposure to patients, so I'll mention that. I think they recently got a huge donation for research, I haven't been able to find more on it though. I was going to avoid talking about the cost since that's a given. Any ideas?

Gotcha! Thanks! Yeah...I'm curious when the first one comes out as well!

Hey all! Just got my regular decision interview invite today!

Really excited! I chose to interview in the Athens campus.

Good Luck!

Hey all! Just got my regular decision interview invite today!

Really excited! I chose to interview in the Athens campus.

Good Luck!
Congrats! When did you submit your secondary? Did you get a complete email? And are you IS or OOS?

Congrats! When did you submit your secondary? Did you get a complete email? And are you IS or OOS?

Thanks!
I am a native Georgian.
I sent in my secondary around July 21, and I did not receive a complete email. But I did received a phone call regarding the completion of my application.

Thanks!
I am a native Georgian.
I sent in my secondary around July 21, and I did not receive a complete email. But I did received a phone call regarding the completion of my application.
Is it bad if I never got a phone call?

Is it bad if I never got a phone call?

Nah, the phone call was to verify something about my application. Then she told me I was complete after that.
So no worries!

Out of curiosity..can people show their stats as they get interview invites?

Lets go with.... cGPA:sGPA:MCAT:IS/OOS:LOR from Physician Y/N

so...3.67:3.53:31:IS:Y as an example. Im curious how much they emphasize having a LOR from a physician, so I wanted to include that in the format!

Last edited:
Does anyone know when/how often the adcom meets? I'm just curious.

Does anyone know when/how often the adcom meets? I'm just curious.
I've heard it's every Friday. But I'm not sure how accurate that is at all.

According to the 2013-2014 forum the adcom met every other Thursday for that cycle...but I really want to know when they're meeting this cycle. Is anyone willing to call and ask? I'd be forever in your debt.

So for the secondary, they want us to have 3 more LORs in addition to the ones that were written for us on AMCAS?? Help!

Got dat II today. So excited.
cGPA: >3.8
sGPA: >3.9
MCAT: 33
IS
No physician letter but lots of clinical experience.
Good luck everyone.

+1

3.7/36, non-trad, unusual ECs
3 MD LORs, all non-clinical
Complete 7/30

Last edited: