2013-2014 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone going to the social on 8/11?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know anything about the issue that UT-San Antonio went through with their curriculum being out of date? Has anyone found anything to read about the issue?

I am interviewing here on 8/12 and am interested to know more about this issue. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know anything about the issue that UT-San Antonio went through with their curriculum being out of date? Has anyone found anything to read about the issue?

I am interviewing here on 8/12 and am interested to know more about this issue. Thanks!

Basically, they didn't submit the new curriculum they had in time, so they were not accredited, but now everything has been squared away and good to go

I should be there!

awesome. Drop a hint that you like running so I know who you are lol.

http://som.uthscsa.edu/AcademicAffairs/new_curriculum.asp

Apparently from what I have read, the new curriculum is a shorter integrated version modeled after UCLA.

Here is a more in-depth link broken down by years.

http://som.uthscsa.edu/ume/curriculum.asp

Basically, they didn't submit the new curriculum they had in time, so they were not accredited, but now everything has been squared away and good to go

It's not that they became unaccredited. There was a probation period and in that time a new curriculum had to be implemented. No loss of accreditation though!

It's not that they became unaccredited. There was a probation period and in that time a new curriculum had to be implemented. No loss of accreditation though!

Yes I meant probation not accreditation, big difference! My bad...

I wonder if they ii by mcat, in that case I guess I won't be hearing back for a while..

Members don't see this ad :)
this monday 8/12.

Kinda excited since its my first interview ever, but also a bit nervous for the same reason.
You'll do great! We're all rooting for you. My first interview isn't til September so you're way ahead of the game! I know you'll rock it.

I got a 9/30 II at 10:44PM on a Friday night. I guess these invitations are automated, keep religiously checking your emails over the weekend everyone!

Would anyone be willing to share when they submitted vs when they got their II?

Best of luck to you!

You'll do great! We're all rooting for you. My first interview isn't til September so you're way ahead of the game! I know you'll rock it.

And be sure to report back here when you're done, of course. Lol

Thanks everyone :thumbup:
Good to know I have some people rooting for me :)

I submitted July 3rd and got an interview yesterday.

Congrats Red! I knew you'd get a few this cycle!

Transmitted 6/26, MCAT in 7/3, My TMDSAS app was complete w/ LORs on 7/17, got II 8/09

Last edited:
Hey, question for you guys who know the area: are there any good places to run around San Antonio? I'll be spending the weekend there before my interview and need to get a long run in.

Hey, question for you guys who know the area: are there any good places to run around San Antonio? I'll be spending the weekend there before my interview and need to get a long run in.

I think this is probably one of the most odd ball question I have read.

No, this is Texas. There are no open places to run here.

I don't see anything wrong with the question about running. Some schools send info on accessing their gyms to applicants coming for interviews, I don't see anything wrong with anyone wanting to go for a run when they're in town for an interview. Plus, they may want to know about good places to run around school if they're considering spending the next 4 years of their life there.

And speaking of Texas and wide open spaces - yeah, right, there are plenty of open spaces - but more of them are outside major cities. I've never been to San Antonio, so unfortunately I can't help tabtleborn with advice, but, for example, in Dallas with all its highways and all one can't just run anywhere, one has to know places. So, this is an absolutely legit question, I don't see anything particularly unusual or funny about it.

I don't see anything wrong with the question about running. Some schools send info on accessing their gyms to applicants coming for interviews, I don't see anything wrong with anyone wanting to go for a run when they're in town for an interview. Plus, they may want to know about good places to run around school if they're considering spending the next 4 years of their life there.

And speaking of Texas and wide open spaces - yeah, right, there are plenty of open spaces - but more of them are outside major cities. I've never been to San Antonio, so unfortunately I can't help tabtleborn with advice, but, for example, in Dallas with all its highways and all one can't just run anywhere, one has to know places. So, this is an absolutely legit question, I don't see anything particularly unusual or funny about it.

I currently live in San Antonio about 2 miles from UTHSCSA. There are really no running trails in the near vicinity. However, I do see quite a few runners in the evening on Huebner Road and near the South Texas Medical Center. A lot of UTSA students live around the area so you will most likely see fellow runners.

There is also a Gold's Gym and an LA Fitness within 10 minutes of the school as well and they offer 3 day free guest passes.

Obviously you can't sense sarcasm but okay

Obviously you can't sense sarcasm but okay
I replied precisely because I sensed sarcasm and thought it was unwarranted. For those who want to give me an emotional education: joke=friendly, sarcasm=not friendly. By your own admission, that was sarcasm. Let's not derail this friendly and informative thread.

I replied precisely because I sensed sarcasm and thought it was unwarranted. For those who want to give me an emotional education: joke=friendly, sarcasm=not friendly. By your own admission, that was sarcasm. Let's not derail this friendly and informative thread.

+1

I really like this thread and dont think it needs to be turned into a flame war.

Having said that, Im getting ready to head to the social. See y'all there.

Having said that, Im getting ready to head to the social. See y'all there.[/QUOTE]

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Need advice from anyone familiar with the surroundings of UT San Antonio. So after the interview concludes (I think it says the interview day ends at around 4pm), will I be able to catch a flight at 7:30pm that night?

Need advice from anyone familiar with the surroundings of UT San Antonio. So after the interview concludes (I think it says the interview day ends at around 4pm), will I be able to catch a flight at 7:30pm that night?

That shouldn't be a problem. It's a short commute to the airport (worst case 30min?) from the Health Science Center (University of Texas at San Antonio is at another campus). If you're renting a car, SAT is a small airport that's easy to navigate. Good luck.

Yes. The school is about 20-35 minutes from campus based on traffic. You can easily make it to the airport by then.

so how was it gandalf? rootin for ya!

Its honestly a great school.
One of the better curriculums in Texas, lots of opportunities for electives and research.
Location is also good and the new facilities look top notch.

Some people will complain that its not P/F. However, one of the pros of a letter grade system is that you dont get complacent and it pushes you to study the material and be on top of your game. With P/F you are ranked internally and you dont even know what your grade is.

If I had to point out one negative, it would be that its easy to get lost. Some of the older buildings are just long hallways with many rooms on each side so it can get confusing real fast..... but I think this can easily be overcome by just getting to know the layout!

Interviews were very laid back and I dont recall being stressed out even once. Could be either good or bad I guess.

If any of you have questions, feel free to ask and I will try to answer them as best as I can.

Will the adcoms consider me for interview even if my committee letter (only letter) hasn't been sent yet? Or do I have to wait until my letter is sent for them to consider my app as complete?

Will the adcoms consider me for interview even if my committee letter (only letter) hasn't been sent yet? Or do I have to wait until my letter is sent for them to consider my app as complete?
They'll consider you even if your committee letter isn't in yet, that's what happened to me!

They'll consider you even if your committee letter isn't in yet, that's what happened to me!

Thanks-any idea on the turnaround? That is, if my application was received today when could I expect to hear back about an interview?

Thanks-any idea on the turnaround? That is, if my application was received today when could I expect to hear back about an interview?

depends on your stats....

you're at a disadvantage if other equally qualified applicants have their LORs turned in however.

depends on your stats....

you're at a disadvantage if other equally qualified applicants have their LORs turned in however.

37mcat (balanced), 3.7cgpa, 3.6sgpa (huge upward trend). top 15 uni. tx resident. avg ec. above avg lor (when submitted!!! lol)

TMDSAS Submitted: 30 June
TMDSAS Received: 24 July
UTHSCSA Confirmation: 26 July
Interview Invite: 9 August

Stats:
gGPA (same as science gGPA, includes both classical and SMP Masters degrees): 3.64
uGPA: horribad
MCAT: 33Q

Hope that helps!