2013-2014 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview Invite! Just received the email about 10 min ago.

OOS 35, 3.8

Members don't see this ad.

Just received an II via email! OOS, normal MD

Members don't see this ad :)
II here too!! OOS!!

No ties to Texas so I am very very surprised. applied to 4 schools on TMDSAS, and I am 2 for 2 so far! can't ask for more

strange, looks like SA sent out invites to the OOS applicants first....(or you guys are just way more qualified than us Texas rednecks :laugh:)

Congrats fellas

WOOHOO! II here! In-state, 35, 3.5c.

I am beyond excited. I'm going 8/12 as well. Congrats everyone!! :D

(For the record, got it at the same time as OOS, just freaked out by myself and danced around for a while... :D )

Congrats! Which day did you select? I chose the 12.

leaning towards the 12th, but havent decided just yet. checking on flights and such. anyone know if its possible to reschedule interviews after selecting a date? just concerned about conflicting interviews.

leaning towards the 12th, but havent decided just yet. checking on flights and such. anyone know if its possible to reschedule interviews after selecting a date? just concerned about conflicting interviews.

It says on the interview selection site that once you choose, you cannot reschedule. I'm assuming that this is since they give you a choice of dates in the first place.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
what are your guys' stats for OOS? I applied within the first week TMDSAS opened, and no love here with a 3.9/38.

yay gandalf so happy for you. hopefully I hear something from them :(

:D

Thanks bud.
Im sure you will be getting yours soon. I submitted mine very early so it might be the case.

What dates are you guys picking to interview?

im on 8/12

I got an interview invite too!
3.4/35 IS

I live 10-15 minutes from the school lol.
You don't know me and I don't' know you, but, having a general idea about your story, I'm very happy for you! :)

ended up going with 8/26. cheapest flights from cali were for that weekend. just hit me how expensive this process is really going to be...

It looks like Gandalf has an SDN fanbase lol :laugh:

Anyone with a MCAT of less than 35 get an II?

Looks like this first batch went out to people with a 3.9 GPA/30+ MCAT combo or 34+ MCAT/mediocre GPA combo.

I'm among those in the former group and haven't noticed anyone with "average" MCATs (31-34) who received an II. I'm disappointed but there's always a chance next round.

I'm among those in the former group and haven't noticed anyone with "average" MCATs (31-34) who received an II. I'm disappointed but there's always a chance next round.

A 34 is top 6-8% of people who take the test. Hardly average

The new curriculum is letter grades

Damn. Which schools don't do letter grades? From Foster, A&M, Baylor, southwestern, and SA, it looks like only Foster and Baylor do P/F (automatically making them my top choices). not sure about the other 3 MD schools. Anyone know?

Damn. Which schools don't do letter grades? From Foster, A&M, Baylor, southwestern, and SA, it looks like only Foster and Baylor do P/F (automatically making them my top choices). not sure about the other 3 MD schools. Anyone know?

I wouldn't rank my schools only by their grading system. Yeah it can mean a lot to you, but pre clinical grades rarely matter for residencies, pass fail or not.

I think that UTSW has a P/F the first semester or year ( probably semester).

I wouldn't rank my schools only by their grading system. Yeah it can mean a lot to you, but pre clinical grades rarely matter for residencies, pass fail or not.

Im sure some people prefer not being ranked against others, even if it is a minor thing as pre-clinical grades. Im sure med students want every leg up they can get.

Finally the man who deserves an interview got one. Congrats man! :thumbup:

Loving the love for Gandalf :D

Congratulations to everyone getting interviews, this is so exciting!

OOS here and just got an interview invite! Woohoo! I'm surprised that OOS students received invites so early on in the cycle.

I received my interview invite on August 1 at 11pm CST (?)! In-stater here. :D My TMDSAS was transmitted on June 21.

My interview will be on September 23. Other dates offered were Mondays on September 16, September 30, and October 7 for anyone interested.

Hang in there, everyone!

I received my interview invite on August 1 at 11pm CST (?)! In-stater here. :D My TMDSAS was transmitted on June 21.

My interview will be on September 23. Other dates offered were Mondays on September 16, September 30, and October 7 for anyone interested.

Hang in there, everyone!

wow, they are inviting for October already? I hope to get some love from them soon..

Received II last night too! Set up for September 16th

got an interview! set up for 9/9. OOS

when i applied on tmdsas, there was a UTSA-SA campus and UTSA-ST campus. what's the difference between the two?

got an interview! set up for 9/9. OOS

when i applied on tmdsas, there was a UTSA-SA campus and UTSA-ST campus. what's the difference between the two?

One is in Harlingen and focuses on rural health care near the border.

Last edited:
ST is in the Rio Grande Valley, about five-seven hours away, near the Texas/Mexico border. SA is San Antonio

One is in El Paso and focuses on rural health care near the border.

It's actually Harlingen, not El Paso. (Those are 11 hours apart) From the site:

The University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio (UTSOMSA) offers clinical education in the third and fourth year of medical school at two sites: the main campus in San Antonio, TX, and; the South Texas Regional Academic Health Center (RAHC) in Harlingen, TX.

It's actually Harlingen, not El Paso. (Those are 11 hours apart) From the site:

The University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio (UTSOMSA) offers clinical education in the third and fourth year of medical school at two sites: the main campus in San Antonio, TX, and; the South Texas Regional Academic Health Center (RAHC) in Harlingen, TX.

Yes you are right I don't know why I wrote El Paso, my bad and thanks for the correction.

A pre-interview LOI might help.

Send it directly to Dr. Jones. I really like that he responds to you quickly and is very nice.

This probably wouldn't be useful if my TMDSAS wasn't submitted yet would it? Another week and and half I'm guessing based on what date they are processing today compared to when I submitted but I'm interested in San Antonio since I'm from south Texas. My low MCAT (29) puts me at a slight disadvantage but maybe a LOI would be helpful after TMDSAS is submitted.

Any timetable for between when they receive apps to when they either send an II or reject?

This probably wouldn't be useful if my TMDSAS wasn't submitted yet would it? Another week and and half I'm guessing based on what date they are processing today compared to when I submitted but I'm interested in San Antonio since I'm from south Texas. My low MCAT (29) puts me at a slight disadvantage but maybe a LOI would be helpful after TMDSAS is submitted.

Any timetable for between when they receive apps to when they either send an II or reject?

that is why I recommended it to PescadoAmor. His LizzyM score is in the same ballpark as mine (68-72).

Sending an LOI before your primary is even submitted sounds a bit foolish IMO. They might offer you an II without even needing to send one. I would wait till september if I was you. That way you dont come off as desperate.

that is why I recommended it to PescadoAmor. His LizzyM score is in the same ballpark as mine (68-72).

Sending an LOI before your primary is even submitted sounds a bit foolish IMO. They might offer you an II without even needing to send one. I would wait till september if I was you. That way you dont come off as desperate.

Figured the same. Maybe end of September if I haven't heard anything. Anyway good luck to everyone