2013-2014 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^ admissions committee meeting -- regular meeting, not the big advocacy one

Members don't see this ad.

ad comm = Advisory Committee or Advocacy Committee?
Admissions committee meeting.

Per Eubanks: LSU only has 2 advocacy meetings per cycle. The next advocacy meeting will be held just before 05/15, the day applicants have to release their multiple holds.

Took some searching but I found the Facebook group. Let me know if the hyperlink doesn't work. I look forwarding to meeting all of you!
Hey so I just tried this link and it said "content currently unavailable." Can someone link me to the Facebook group?

Members don't see this ad :)
Admissions committee meeting.

Per Eubanks: LSU only has 2 advocacy meetings per cycle. The next advocacy meeting will be held just before 05/15, the day applicants have to release their multiple holds.

I thought someone said somewhere in here that there were three advocacy meetings? It sounded like there was one last Friday, but perhaps I was misinformed. Just looking for some clarification.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I thought someone said somewhere in here that there were three advocacy meetings? It sounded like there was one last Friday, but perhaps I was misinformed. Just looking for some clarification.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Only 2 advocacy meetings -- one was February 7th and the other will be in early may. They may have had a regular admissions meeting recently but idk?!

Only 2 advocacy meetings -- one was February 7th and the other will be in early may. They may have had a regular admissions meeting recently but idk?!
So in that case it sounds like it's safe to assume that anyone currently waiting with no final actions will not hear anything until early May? I know advocates can bring up applicants at any normal admissions meeting, but from everything I've heard that is very rare.

So in that case it sounds like it's safe to assume that anyone currently waiting with no final actions will not hear anything until early May? I know advocates can bring up applicants at any normal admissions meeting, but from everything I've heard that is very rare.

Not quite true. Applicants are brought up multiple times during the application process. The person who volunteers to advocate for you can bring up your file at any of the committee meetings. This is how someone may initially be NFA'ed but 2 weeks later they can receive an acceptance letter. At least this is what I was told at my interview.

Hello! My status is NFA and I interviewed on December 18. Do you guys suggest that I do anything while I wait for a final decision? I have sent the committee a letter of intent...not sure what else I can do to increase my chances?

Exactly two weeks until initial decision day. *deep breath* I can hardly wait.

Is that just for you or does everyone get another notification? :oops:

04/11 is just another admissions committee meeting. I'm just excited because I recently interviewed and that is the day they make an initial decision on my file.

However, everyone should get some sort of notification after the next advocacy meeting. I was told that is scheduled just before 05/15. Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there is a gym?

They have one in Stanislaus Hall. It's pretty nice. A room with selectorized equipment and another room with cardio equipment/free weights. Seems like its open 24/7, but I could be wrong about that. Showers and a locker room and the works.

Reactions: 1 user
Get some solid cardio walking to the gym too, that walkway is so long especially in dress shoes lol

Reactions: 1 users
Joke's over. Cool.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard about acceptance letters going out since the March 15th date? All of my friends that have been NFA'd have not received anything. I actually haven't heard of any acceptances since the first advocacy meeting.

I'm assuming it's the standard business casual attire for second look weekend? Not planning to show up in cutoff jean shorts but are we talking khakis and a tie here?

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted. For those still waiting, keep the hope and reapply if you don't get in this year.
I went to LSUHSC-NO for med school and completing my anesthesiology residency here in June.
I will be going away for a year fellowship. If anyone is interested in renting my 1 bedroom condo in Cotton Mill, feel free to message me

I'm assuming it's the standard business casual attire for second look weekend? Not planning to show up in cutoff jean shorts but are we talking khakis and a tie here?

That's what I assume as well. Better to be overdressed than underdressed.

On that note, are people planning to bring parents to second look? Wasn't sure if I should invite mine.

My girlfriend is coming with me but not my parents, though if they want to come I don't see why you shouldn't invite them

I just had my interview this Monday, but does anyone know if LSU is interviewing after this week?

I just had my interview this Monday, but does anyone know if LSU is interviewing after this week?
Apparently they're interviewing all the way until the end of April. That's what I heard at least. I know there's a committee meeting this Friday (4/11), then after that, I think on 5/9 or something, is the big advocacy meeting. So they're probably not interviewing past 5/2.

That's what I was told, but before I left the campus I ran into the Dean of Students, Dr. Delcaprio. He seemed to say that this Wednesday, so today, is the last interview day. Does anyone have an interview scheduled for next week?

That's what I was told, but before I left the campus I ran into the Dean of Students, Dr. Delcaprio. He seemed to say that this Wednesday, so today, is the last interview day. Does anyone have an interview scheduled for next week?
Well, depending on which last day he meant. They interview on Monday, Tues., Wed. of the week. So he may have meant it was the last interview day..of this week and not the last interview day for this cycle.

Well, depending on which last day he meant. They interview on Monday, Tues., Wed. of the week. So he may have meant it was the last interview day..of this week and not the last interview day for this cycle.

True. However, I have heard they stop interviewing in early-mid April.

Last edited:
True. However, I have heard they stop interviewing in mid-early April.
I would agree. I can't imagine that they'll be interviewing much past the middle to end of April - and the end of April is a stretch.

YAHOO!!! OMG! YOU GUYS!!! YOU GUYS!!! GUESS WHAT?!? no news here.

YAHOO!!! OMG! YOU GUYS!!! YOU GUYS!!! GUESS WHAT?!? no news here.
Checked this on my phone, only saw the first part, got super excited... :mad:

They're meeting tomorrow. So that means we'll probably get letters one way or the other (those of us who interviewed recently) by Monday/Tuesday?

Checked this on my phone, only saw the first part, got super excited... :mad:

They're meeting tomorrow. So that means we'll probably get letters one way or the other (those of us who interviewed recently) by Monday/Tuesday?

They are meeting tomorrow, but they don't get the letters printed and mailed out until the middle of the week. Point being, we probably won't get word until the following week. All info per Eubanks.

Btw, the letters are mailed out of BR, so for those of us located in NOLA it may take a couple extra days to get to us.

I'm waiting for my initial decision too! I'm really hoping to get the good decision. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Last edited:
Okay. No one get pouty until I finish updating you guys. There is good news too. I ran into committee member X today and here's the information I got: All the spots have been handed out already. Yeah, sucks eh? That happened in mid March. HOWEVER, they are going to have an advocacy meeting in May, and they are going to start working on a wait list. Dr. McCluggage and Dr. Eubanks are in charge of doing that, and the other committee members don't know how they organize it, other than giving you some score. Committee member X would say your chances at this point are about 1 in 4, although take that with a grain of salt. I also met a guy TODAY who is going to give up his spot, so it does happen. Come to think of it, I knew another guy who got in last cycle off of the waitlist. So, I know a couple of people already. About 10% of the class will be wait listers. To those of you who got into Shreveport congratulations, both schools will get you to the exact same place. On another note, committee member X said that there could possibly be a spot that just opened for tomorrow and they might take someone then, pre-waitlist. Keep your fingers crossed. Here's last year's thread in case you want to see when people started hearing back. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ersity-new-orleans-application-thread.895223/

Last edited:
Would somebody mind PM'ing me the link to the FB group?

Thanks!

Okay. No one get pouty until I finish updating you guys. There is good news too. I ran into committee member X today and here's the information I got: All the spots have been handed out already. Yeah, sucks eh? That happened in mid March. HOWEVER, they are going to have an advocacy meeting in May, and they are going to start working on a wait list. Dr. McCluggage and Dr. Eubanks are in charge of doing that, and the other committee members don't know how they organize it, other than giving you some score. Committee member X would say your chances at this point are about 1 in 4, although take that with a grain of salt. I also met a guy TODAY who is going to give up his spot, so it does happen. Come to think of it, I knew another guy who got in last cycle off of the waitlist. So, I know a couple of people already. About 10% of the class will be wait listers. To those of you who got into Shreveport congratulations, both schools will get you to the exact same place. On another note, committee member X said that there could possibly be a spot that just opened for tomorrow and they might take someone then, pre-waitlist. Keep your fingers crossed. Here's last year's thread in case you want to see when people started hearing back. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ersity-new-orleans-application-thread.895223/
Has anyone ever called the school or emailed Dr. Eubanks and just asked him how many actual spots are left, if any?

I see what you've stated above but I also know that committee members are always pretty tight-lipped on the admissions process even to other docs with whom they have worked closely with for years. Its surprising that one would give out that much info. I don't not believe you, just thinking out loud in frustration. This whole process is a brutal one.

There's some AAMC policy that requires them to hand out all of their spots by mid-march. https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/370670/trafficrules-admissionofficers.html look at #4. It says mid March for MD/P.h.d. programs and March 30 for everyone else. I am pretty sure he said mid March but maybe he meant the end of March. I do have plenty of email addresses but I don't want to appear neurotic. Approaching this guy at my school" was already a stretch. Stay positive. This process does suck. From what I hear there wasn't so much "brownie point" stuff in the 70's and 80's. Everybody wants to go to medical school and that's what its come down to. For what it's worth, someone on Shreveport's thread applied three times and got in with a 24 and some below average gpa. They try to be fair. I just hated hearing him say, "if you don't get in you just got to apply again. Persistence is the key." I mean, this is the second time they interviewed me. He also told my friend who is in his early 40's "by the time you finish it will be time to retire!" Which he probably shouldn't have said. I mean, come on, yeah, but why would you say that? btw. It wasn't Eubanks it was someone else.

Last edited:
There's some AAMC policy that requires them to hand out all of their spots by mid-march. https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/370670/trafficrules-admissionofficers.html look at #4. It says mid March for MD/P.h.d. programs and March 30 for everyone else. I am pretty sure he said mid March but maybe he meant the end of March. I do have plenty of email addresses but I don't want to appear neurotic. Approaching this guy at my school" was already a stretch. Stay positive. This process does suck. From what I hear there wasn't so much "brownie point" stuff in the 70's and 80's. Everybody wants to go to medical school and that's what its come down to. For what it's worth, someone on Shreveport's thread applied three times and got in with a 24 and some below average gpa. They try to be fair. I just hated hearing him say, "if you don't get in you just got to apply again. Persistence is the key." I mean, this is the second time they interviewed me. He also told my friend who is in his early 40's "by the time you finish it will be time to retire!" Which he probably shouldn't have said. I mean, come on, yeah, but why would you say that? btw. It wasn't Eubanks it was someone else.
God..how inappropriate of person to say that to 40 yr old. GEEZ. Thanks for info. I do appreciate.

This was discussed on my interview day. Dr Eubanks said that according to AAMC rules they must offer as many acceptances as they have spots by 03/15. So New Orleans has offered 200 acceptances, but that does not mean that there are 0 spots left. I know of quite a few ppl tht have already given up their offer for another school. Their will be even more spots that open up as we approach 05/15. It isn't all doom and gloom yet.

Dr Eubanks told my interview day that they continue to interview after 03/15 because they never fill up in march. He also said that most years the first ten ppl on the wait list get admitted. So don't give up hope yet.

left.

There's some AAMC policy that requires them to hand out all of their spots by mid-march. https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/370670/trafficrules-admissionofficers.html look at #4. It says mid March for MD/P.h.d. programs and March 30 for everyone else. I am pretty sure he said mid March but maybe he meant the end of March. I do have plenty of email addresses but I don't want to appear neurotic. Approaching this guy at my school" was already a stretch. Stay positive. This process does suck. From what I hear there wasn't so much "brownie point" stuff in the 70's and 80's. Everybody wants to go to medical school and that's what its come down to. For what it's worth, someone on Shreveport's thread applied three times and got in with a 24 and some below average gpa. They try to be fair. I just hated hearing him say, "if you don't get in you just got to apply again. Persistence is the key." I mean, this is the second time they interviewed me. He also told my friend who is in his early 40's "by the time you finish it will be time to retire!" Which he probably shouldn't have said. I mean, come on, yeah, but why would you say that? btw. It wasn't Eubanks it was someone else.[/Q
This was discussed on my interview day. Dr Eubanks said that according to AAMC rules they must offer as many acceptances as they have spots by 03/15. So New Orleans has offered 200 acceptances, but that does not mean that there are 0 spots left. I know of quite a few ppl tht have already given up their offer for another school. Their will be even more spots that open up as we approach 05/15. It isn't all doom and gloom yet.

Dr Eubanks told my interview day that they continue to interview after 03/15 because they never fill up in march. He also said that most years the first ten ppl on the wait list get admitted. So don't give up hope yet.

left.
Thanks but my experience with Dr. Eubanks has been one that I would describe as inconsistency and contradictions. Hope springs eternal but the writing is on the wall. Praying every waking moment that I am wrong. I would love to be wrong.

left.
Thanks but my experience with Dr. Eubanks has been one that I would describe as inconsistency and contradictions. Hope springs eternal but the writing is on the wall. Praying every waking moment that I am wrong. I would love to be wrong.

But I should add, your post gives me a shred of hope no matter what I think, and I thank you for that!! This whole process is insane...just...freaking insane. There must be a kinder way - just saying.

But I should add, your post gives me a shred of hope no matter what I think, and I thank you for that!! This whole process is insane...just...freaking insane. There must be a kinder way - just saying.

There are 40 people on the committee. I think they all have to agree on a candidate before accepting them, except for wait list people. It is insane. How ridiculous is that? It's like they tenured every professor who ever taught there and moved them to an administrative position on the committee. Not that they aren't qualified, but that's too many. It should be more like 10 people. I would guess that everything will be sorted out by the end of May. Count on knowing what will happen to you at latest by then.

Last edited:
I got in off the wait list after the May15 wait list moving day. There is hope!

There are 40 people on the committee. I think they all have to agree on a candidate before accepting them, except for wait list people. It is insane. How ridiculous is that? It's like they tenured every professor who ever taught there and moved them to an administrative position on the committee. Not that they aren't qualified, but that's too many. It should be more like 10 people. I would guess that everything will be sorted out by the end of May. Count on knowing what will happen to you at latest by then.

I thought that the committee was only 24 ppl. 12 students and 12 faculty...

Usually they are mailed out mid-week the week after the meeting... Since they met last Friday (4/11), the letters will be prepared Monday and Tuesday and mailed out probably Wednesday this week. They do go to BR first and come back to NO so those out of New Orleans generally get theirs first. For New Orleans people i would think Saturday earliest, Monday probable.

Sigh* The waiting process is so depressing... For those of you checking this page obsessively like me:

Stay entertained. Keep living.

Reactions: 2 users