2013-2014 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! Any advice?
They wouldn't have you in for an interview if you weren't a strong contender, remember that. Be confident but humble. Think about your "professionalism" answer and be ready with it. Be yourself. Be considerate. Remember your manners at lunch and throughout the day...that's part of the interview "process."

Most of all, have fun and enjoy the whole process because you've been working toward this very thing for a long while...so revel in the moment, and enjoy it as much as possible. It's a really cool thing to embrace the opportunity you've worked so hard for, and that enthusiasm and confidence will show if you relax, enjoy, and embrace the moment.

That's the best advice I can offer...you've likely prepared yourself for all of the other, you have your answers. It's your disposition and overall person that they're listening to and looking at to see if what's on the paper adds up, and if you have anything there that doesn't show up on the paper (both good or bad).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For anyone recently accepted, has your deposit cleared yet? I literally hand delivered mine the day after I got my acceptance letter hah and received an email confirmation of deposit from the admissions office. However my check hasn't cleared yet and it's been a good 3 weeks almost.
For me, it was two weeks between receiving the email confirmation receipt and my bank account showing the check cleared. Have you gotten any other correspondence from them? If so, I wouldn't stress. I mean, I still stressed because I really wanted it to be official. Once they take my money, there's no going back on the acceptance haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason it's saying "This content is currently unavailable"?...

The privacy of the group was recently changed to "secret," if that is why it is saying that.

So just to be clear, we receive a status update once every 3 weeks in the mail?

Hey all, I have a few questions, some of which may sound stupid, so please bear with me:

1. As far as a know, the school does not require a deposit to hold a seat. Is this correct? I didn't get any email about it.

2. I didn't get anything about the background check. No idea what's up with that... assumed it was required.

3. Some of the pre-matriculation forms have vague questions.. how meticulously do they scrutinize them?

4-and the BIGGE: financial aid. I've never actually had to actually get federal aid either because I was denied or out-of-pocket tuition was affordable. So I'm a total noob in this regard. When do I need to get the forms in by? and at the interview someone was mentioning there is a second set of forms to be done.

I will be applying as an independent, i .e. not through my parents, but some places I read I'll need parents' tax forms, etc. (I hadn't had to pay significant taxes in the past).

SO EXCITED TO ATTEND, we work so hard all cycle and then more work piles up after, lol. Thanks in advance.

Hey all, I have a few questions, some of which may sound stupid, so please bear with me:

1. As far as a know, the school does not require a deposit to hold a seat. Is this correct? I didn't get any email about it.

2. I didn't get anything about the background check. No idea what's up with that... assumed it was required.

3. Some of the pre-matriculation forms have vague questions.. how meticulously do they scrutinize them?

4-and the BIGGE: financial aid. I've never actually had to actually get federal aid either because I was denied or out-of-pocket tuition was affordable. So I'm a total noob in this regard. When do I need to get the forms in by? and at the interview someone was mentioning there is a second set of forms to be done.

I will be applying as an independent, i .e. not through my parents, but some places I read I'll need parents' tax forms, etc. (I hadn't had to pay significant taxes in the past).

SO EXCITED TO ATTEND, we work so hard all cycle and then more work piles up after, lol. Thanks in advance.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for professional schools you always are considered independent, and therefore you don't need your parents tax information when filling out the FAFSA. Also, LSU does require a deposit to hold an spot.

As mentioned above, everyone can apply as an independent(i.e. don't need your parental tax info) and you'll get the standard unsubsidized Stafford + Grad plus loan for the cost of attendance. Submitting parental info has no bearing on your eligibility for these loans. Most schools(and I'm assuming LSU is similar) only need parental info from FAFSA if you want to see if you are eligible for any additional need-based aid offered through the school itself or hardship waivers from the school.

hey every1, kind of a touchy question here.

i just got in, and heard that shreveport is one of the schools that drug tests. what kind of test is? hopefully not hair... i'm not a druggie or anything just smoked a little p-- a couple of weeks ago. that would probably show up in a hair test... so that's my question i suppose:

what kind of drug test is it?

Members don't see this ad :)

i just got in, and heard that shreveport is one of the schools that drug tests. what kind of test is? hopefully not hair... i'm not a druggie or anything just smoked a little p-- a couple of weeks ago. that would probably show up in a hair test... so that's my question i suppose:

Seriously? Simple solution: Don't do drugs. Never do that again because now you have a reputation to uphold and that type of behavior should be beneath you. Congrats on the acceptance though! Can't give you any advice there because I would never put myself in that position. But more importantly, by giving you that information it would be helping you avoid getting caught. Which is, for all intents and purposes; cheating. Please don't tempt anyone with such an unethical question again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Seriously? Simple solution: Don't do drugs. Never do that again because now you have a reputation to uphold and that type of behavior should be beneath you. Congrats on the acceptance though! Can't give you any advice there because I would never put myself in that position. But more importantly, by giving you that information it would be helping you avoid getting caught. Which is, for all intents and purposes; cheating. Please don't tempt anyone with such an unethical question again.

Self righteous much?

Self righteous much?
It definitely came off that way but I wasn't trying to be smug. I can't help this person because I'm not familiar with the situation, and I wouldn't even ask because it is quite literally; a crime. The message definitely could be worded better. I'll keep that in mind next time. That sounded really pompous and I should learn to respond without being a (vulgar noun) about it.

Last edited:
It definitely came off that way but I wasn't trying to be smug. I can't help this person because I'm not familiar with the situation, and I wouldn't even ask because it is quite literally; a crime. The message definitely could be worded better. I'll keep that in mind next time. That sounded really pompous and I should learn to respond without being a (vulgar noun) about it.

Helluva response. Most people are (vulgar noun) when challenged like that, but you totally defused the situation.

And drug abuse coupled with medical doctoring is a recipe for disaster, so your concern is well-grounded. This is the big leagues now: Is all you worked for really worth throwing away for a mild hallucinogen?!

Reactions: 2 users
That was a great very self aware response. There was no situation to diffuse, because I wasn't going to argue either way.

But my point is this... don't all of you future docs know how much weight our words are going to carry? We need to be careful when we speak, to make sure our message is clear and free of judgements based on our own morality, especially in regard to patients. So someone else decided to smoke a little pot, do I partake? No. But is that there choice? Yes. Do I have a right to judge? No. Is it the worst thing I'll see as a med student? Absolutely not. It is just a little harmless weed.

Btw med students and residents are some of the #1 abusers of recreational & pharmaceutical drugs. Again, I'm not condoning the behavior just making a statement. Be ready for med school, lol.

Wow... very self righteous. I don't 'do' drugs. I've never even drank. I smoked like two times in high school and then once a couple of weeks ago. If you met me you'd know I'm a decent, intelligent person and am very qualified to be a good doctor one day.

But most importantly, since you say you don't know the answer, don't give a response. This is a largely advice-oriented site. Save your judgments, or at least keep them away from me, because you are not my judge.

Are acceptance letters only sent via snail mail? Are you also notified by email?

I think all notices come via snail mail, which, call me old-fashioned, I actually don't mind.

For example, I got my NFA letter yesterday, and I interviewed last week. I ain't expecting anything more from LSU for awhile, and when I do hear something I suspect it'll also be via snail mail.

People who actually have been accepted are probably better qualified to handle this question, though. I don't wanna give wrong info, this is just what I recall from Eubanks's spiel.

I think all notices come via snail mail, which, call me old-fashioned, I actually don't mind.

For example, I got my NFA letter yesterday, and I interviewed last week. I ain't expecting anything more from LSU for awhile, and when I do hear something I suspect it'll also be via snail mail.

People who actually have been accepted are probably better qualified to handle this question, though. I don't wanna give wrong info, this is just what I recall from Eubanks's spiel.

Got my NFA last week, so I'm in the same boat. Best of luck to you, and thanks for all the help! :)

Maybe you should ask the Shreveport thread?

They send the drug test to you via snail mail. It is a piss test.

And to the recreational drug talk, it does go on at both LSU Shreveport and New Orleans. I have experienced it first-hand with current medical school students and doctors. We are adults and are going to do what we want, so I don't see the point in lecturing. If you use it irresponsibly then you, and even worse a patient, will suffer the consequences.

They send the drug test to you via snail mail. It is a piss test.

And to the recreational drug talk, it does go on at both LSU Shreveport and New Orleans. I have experienced it first-hand with current medical school students and doctors. We are adults and are going to do what we want, so I don't see the point in lecturing. If you use it irresponsibly then you, and even worse a patient, will suffer the consequences.

Story time. An MS-1.99 from another southern school stayed next door to me last summer for 6 weeks. He filled my ears with tales of he and his fellow med school buddies enjoying the occasional "nose candy." Tried to convince me that I just "had to try it". He failed to win me over. Med students + cocaine = ???

Speaking of drug tests and all this stuff, has anyone received any paperwork or the drug test kit yet? I paid and confirmed my deposit and forwarded an official transcript but haven't heard anything since.

Speaking of drug tests and all this stuff, has anyone received any paperwork or the drug test kit yet? I paid and confirmed my deposit and forwarded an official transcript but haven't heard anything since.

Haven't heard a thing either. I was starting to think I hallucinated the whole act of signing and submitting a deposit lol

i'm STILL waiting for my deposit to clear -- it's been a month officially... anyone else?

What if he's in Colorado? Or Washington? Have you ever considered that you might be prescribing it some day to some poor veteran with a serious case of PTSD?

What if he's in Colorado? Or Washington? Have you ever considered that you might be prescribing it some day to some poor veteran with a serious case of PTSD?

Well, the legal status of marijuana is immaterial if LSU proscribes it.

I forgot when they said they would have their second committee meeting when they will go over all of the people still under consideration again. Does anyone remember the date for that? Also, are many of you that have been accepted from out of state? I'm from out of state and I've been under consideration since I interviewed in November and I'm still really hoping for an acceptance.

I forgot when they said they would have their second committee meeting when they will go over all of the people still under consideration again. Does anyone remember the date for that? Also, are many of you that have been accepted from out of state? I'm from out of state and I've been under consideration since I interviewed in November and I'm still really hoping for an acceptance.
I'm out of state, also interviewed in November, no final action after interview and after 1st advocate meeting. Does anyone know of an out of state applicant who has been accepted yet? Also I heard (not confirmed in any way) that they had a "longer than normal" meeting this past Friday (3/14/14) to give out acceptances to fill up all remaining seats, meaning that, after the results of that meeting are snail-mailed out, the only acceptances given will be because someone dropped their seat at LSU to go to another school. Does anyone have more info on that?

I'm out of state, also interviewed in November, no final action after interview and after 1st advocate meeting. Does anyone know of an out of state applicant who has been accepted yet? Also I heard (not confirmed in any way) that they had a "longer than normal" meeting this past Friday (3/14/14) to give out acceptances to fill up all remaining seats, meaning that, after the results of that meeting are snail-mailed out, the only acceptances given will be because someone dropped their seat at LSU to go to another school. Does anyone have more info on that?
Interviews were still being scheduled as recent as this past Wednesday for an April interview date. Not sure who gave you that info. but I'd question it harder.

Interviews were still being scheduled as recent as this past Wednesday for an April interview date. Not sure who gave you that info. but I'd question it harder.

Having just interviewed, Dr. Eubanks said that the AAMC required all schools to give out a number of acceptances equal to the number of spots they have available for the upcoming class by March 15th. Of course, not all of those offered will accept, and he stressed that LSU hold interview days with no intention of accepting those applicants.

Having just interviewed, Dr. Eubanks said that the AAMC required all schools to give out a number of acceptances equal to the number of spots they have available for the upcoming class by March 15th. Of course, not all of those offered will accept, and he stressed that LSU hold interview days with no intention of accepting those applicants.
Thank you for clarification.

Sry, I'm confused by your last sentence. Are you saying that everyone they interview after 03/15 they have no intention of accepting?

I am out of state and have been accepted. I know of a few but they all go to schools in New Orleans.

I am from out of state, and was accepted in November. I am from one of the nearby states surrounding Louisiana however.

Sry, I'm confused by your last sentence. Are you saying that everyone they interview after 03/15 they have no intention of accepting?
I'd also like to know this. I got an II and am interviewing March 31. It felt strange that they would be interviewing someone with my stats so late into the cycle (I was surprised to get anything at all from them), so I'd like to know what their reasoning is. Why would they bother sending out more IIs if they don't intend to accept any of those people interviewed after March 15?

I'd also like to know this. I got an II and am interviewing March 31. It felt strange that they would be interviewing someone with my stats so late into the cycle (I was surprised to get anything at all from them), so I'd like to know what their reasoning is. Why would they bother sending out more IIs if they don't intend to accept any of those people interviewed after March 15?
I left out a word. They DON'T interview for the waitlist. Every invited applicant has a chance for acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users