2013-2014 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sigh* The waiting process is so depressing... For those of you checking this page obsessively like me:

Stay entertained. Keep living.

Obsessively. Yes. More than Facebook and Gmail.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's only Wednesday and I'm already fighting the urge to stalk the mailman.

Will we even get letters delivered Friday and Saturday, since it's Good Friday? I don't know if the post office is open.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will we even get letters delivered Friday and Saturday, since it's Good Friday? I don't know if the post office is open.
Oh no you're right! I think not :(. Not sure though.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Oh no you're right! I think not :(. Not sure though.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Letter carriers are scheduled for Friday and Saturday. So we might get letters this weekend. Yay!!!!

If mailed off today, via first class service, the letters should only take 1-3 business days to arrive. That means Saturday @ the latest!!!

Anyone want to call the school and ask if the latest batch of letters has gone out yet?

Last edited:
Letter carriers are scheduled for Friday and Saturday. So we might get letters this weekend. Yay!!!!

If mailed off today, via first class service, the letters should only take 1-3 business days to arrive. That means Saturday @ the latest!!!

Anyone want to call the school and ask if the latest batch of letters has gone out yet?
Just called. They were mailed out yesterday. Fingers crossed!

Posted using SDN Mobile

My friend in BR just got his 3rd (that's right, 3rd haha) NFA letter from their meeting on Friday. He interviewed 1/13/14.

My friend in BR just got his 3rd (that's right, 3rd haha) NFA letter from their meeting on Friday. He interviewed 1/13/14.
That's good news! That means NOLA people will get ours tomorrow or Saturday probably, right?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Waiting for my letter in Shreveport. I just want a decision. Getting NFA will just stress me out, although from what Dr. Eubanks said that's what will most likely happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Waiting for my letter in Shreveport. I just want a decision. Getting NFA will just stress me out, although from what Dr. Eubanks said that's what will most likely happen.

He said the same thing at my interview day. I feel exactly the same way as you do.

Got my letter from NOLA. NFA'ed.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
NFA'd too. Better than a rejection though, right?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Welcome to the club, everyone. There are some light refreshments available for your enjoyment, and if you would be so kind as to sign in on the attendance sheet by the door it would be most appreciated. For now just mingle amongst yourselves. The proceedings will start soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Welcome to the club, everyone. There are some light refreshments available for your enjoyment, and if you would be so kind as to sign in on the attendance sheet by the door it would be most appreciated. For now just mingle amongst yourselves. The proceedings will start soon.

May 15th cannot come fast enough.

Happy Easter everyone. Try not to stress, if you got interviewed you obviously will get in, if you keep at it. I know that doesn't sound too great but a lot of you are too young to worry about another year. Next wave of letters are the big ones, wait lists, acceptances, or rejections. Lord, if you can hear me...I'll start going back to church if you help me out here...St. Joseph's is right there...

Last edited:
I just got my first letter as well. Not surprisingly it was a NFA. :( I'm not a very patient person. I need to knowwwww :'(

I just got my first letter as well. Not surprisingly it was a NFA. :( I'm not a very patient person. I need to knowwwww :'(
I guess my consolation is that at least so many of us are in the same boat. I know it's crappy, but at least we're all in it with each other. Fun times!

Last edited:
When is the next meeting? Are there anymore admissions committee meetings?

I know that there is an advocacy meeting around May 15th, but does anyone know actual dates?

When is the next meeting? Are there anymore admissions committee meetings?

I know that there is an advocacy meeting around May 15th, but does anyone know actual dates?
I thought the advocacy meeting was May 1st?

Posted using SDN Mobile

I don't think there are any more admissions committee meetings. They are done with interviews from what I can tell.

Whenever someone finds out the Advocacy Meeting date, please post.

I don't think there are any more admissions committee meetings. They are done with interviews from what I can tell.

Whenever someone finds out the Advocacy Meeting date, please post.
I know for a fact the final, final meeting is May 1. What happens at that meeting not exactly sure, but my guess would be for wait list votes.

I know someone posted earlier in this thread that McCluggage and Eubanks decide/wait list folks/order and that may or may not be completely true.

My guess is that they get votes on NFA's then McCluggage and Eubanks pivot from that pool of applicants. (qualifying, this is a complete guess).

I am certain that the last "official" meeting is May 1. That said, don't think anyone will hear anything until May 15 at the earliest and more likely, a bit after.

Keep the hope. For those that can't, there's next cycle.

I know for a fact the final, final meeting is May 1. What happens at that meeting not exactly sure, but my guess would be for wait list votes.

I know someone posted earlier in this thread that McCluggage and Eubanks decide/wait list folks/order and that may or may not be completely true.

My guess is that they get votes on NFA's then McCluggage and Eubanks pivot from that pool of applicants. (qualifying, this is a complete guess).

I am certain that the last "official" meeting is May 1. That said, don't think anyone will hear anything until May 15 at the earliest and more likely, a bit after.

Keep the hope. For those that can't, there's next cycle.
Dr Eubanks actually said during my interview not to send in any supplementary info or updates after May 1st as well, so this makes sense.

I think during the last advocacy meeting, they go through all the NFAd applicants, as you said, and rank or reject them. It's supposed to take all day, and everyone's advocate pushes for them. Then the waitlist starts rolling. A few acceptances might go out after that meeting I think, but not sure.

Does anyone know how many people are in the class as of right now? Based on the Facebook group or anything?

156 currently in the FB group...

As others have said, may 1st is the last meeting for the year... They have to go thru everyone who has been NFA'ed from September-now, decide who to reject, and from those left, rank them on a wait list. I was under the impression everyone on the committee has a say in deciding rank but I could be wrong. Maybe your advocate fights for you but Mccluggage and Eubanks ultimately rank?

I was NFA'ed and ultimately rejected last year and my letter arrived at my house 5/20 (a Monday I believe). Think it took a little bit to get them all out in the mail bc the meeting was over a week before that.

156 currently in the FB group...

As others have said, may 1st is the last meeting for the year... They have to go thru everyone who has been NFA'ed from September-now, decide who to reject, and from those left, rank them on a wait list. I was under the impression everyone on the committee has a say in deciding rank but I could be wrong. Maybe your advocate fights for you but Mccluggage and Eubanks ultimately rank?

I was NFA'ed and ultimately rejected last year and my letter arrived at my house 5/20 (a Monday I believe). Think it took a little bit to get them all out in the mail bc the meeting was over a week before that.
Thanks very much for the info TD504, appreciated.

Got my 3rd NFA today....any thing positive to take out of that? I interviewed in November so the wait has been agonizing. The fact that I made it on the acceptable list at Shreveport is the only thing keeping me sane at this point.

Just looked thru my stuff from last year as well as last years board:

Advocacy meeting: May 1st
Rejection letter received: May 20th

So at this meeting if you are not rejected, you get ranked on a waiting list. Let's say at that very meeting they have 3 guaranteed open spots in the class. The top 3 people get acceptances. Another opens a week later, #4 gets an acceptance. However, looking at last years thread, a few people got EMAIL acceptances the week after the meeting (around May 8th). It was theorized that these people had acceptances elsewhere and LSU wanted to snag them. Idk if that's true or not. So acceptances definitely go out earlier than rejections and WL letters.

Hope this helps a little! Hang in there everyone!

To be honest, I feel like people who interviewed in March or later (like myself) are pretty much consigned to go from NFA to the waitlist, despite the protestations of the admissions office. It seems that we really did interview without a real shot at an outright acceptance. Maybe, technically, one or two people were outright accepted after a late interview, but after looking through the last few years' school-specific threads, it looks like everyone gets their NFA then goes on to the waitlist. I know, this is the medical school application process, fraught with delays and tedious waiting, but it seems like LSU is particularly behind the curve in that regard. We won't even have our files re-reviewed until May 1, and then it looked like people were getting their waitlist letters AFTER May 15th last year. It's tough when LSU would very much be in the mix for me when I'm deciding which school to go to next year but I won't have a firm answer for a while.

Do you mind sharing your stats? I have also received three NFA'S. This waiting is awful.

I think the NFA'ed ppl should post their stats.

I'll go first. 31MCAT (9/11/11) 4.0 GPA for the last 3 years, so that's the 32 hour rule x 2. However ALL of my classes would give me a 3.3.

I've worked @ a hospital for 18 months. I've taught/tutored sciences at a college level the last couple of years. All of the science profs I took classes with and worked under wrote me amazing LORs. My volunteer experience is a little lacking, but I'm a nontrad that had to work in order to support myself.

I think the NFA'ed ppl should post their stats.

I'll go first. 31MCAT (9/11/11) 4.0 GPA for the last 3 years, so that's the 32 hour rule x 2. However ALL of my classes would give me a 3.3.

I've worked @ a hospital for 18 months. I've taught/tutored sciences at a college level the last couple of years. All of the science profs I took classes with and worked under wrote me amazing LORs. My volunteer experience is a little lacking, but I'm a nontrad that had to work in order to support myself.
26 MCAT (6/10/10). 3.5 reconfigured GPA. Nontraditional with some volunteer experience, but a lot of tutoring experience, internships, and work experience. Currently working at Tulane University and hospital in New Orleans in clinical research. Interviewed in March.

To be honest, I feel like people who interviewed in March or later (like myself) are pretty much consigned to go from NFA to the waitlist, despite the protestations of the admissions office. It seems that we really did interview without a real shot at an outright acceptance. Maybe, technically, one or two people were outright accepted after a late interview, but after looking through the last few years' school-specific threads, it looks like everyone gets their NFA then goes on to the waitlist. I know, this is the medical school application process, fraught with delays and tedious waiting, but it seems like LSU is particularly behind the curve in that regard. We won't even have our files re-reviewed until May 1, and then it looked like people were getting their waitlist letters AFTER May 15th last year.

I understand entirely. I was one of those who interviewed in March. It's so, so difficult to sit and wait. And I'm waitlisted at Shreveport too, so I don't even have that as a backup. I'm already starting the reapp process, and it's painful as hell. I really hate hearing "keep the faith!" and "hang in there!" when there's so little chance. The process really needs to be more transparent. For example, there's no reason I can come up with for why they can't tell us where we are on the waitlist.

Last edited:
26 MCAT (6/10/10). 3.5 reconfigured GPA. Nontraditional with some volunteer experience, but a lot of tutoring experience, internships, and work experience. Currently working at Tulane University and hospital in New Orleans in clinical research. Interviewed in March.
30 MCAT. 3.7 GPA A fair amount of work, volunteering, doctor shadowing. Just waiting :(

31 MCAT, 3.85 GPA. I have work experience including some in healthcare settings, consistent volunteer experience, and solid amount of physician shadowing. Non-science major (Health Administration) though.

I'm more curious about how many people interviewed last year and got invited again for this cycle. btw: if it's any consolation a lot of those interviews are just for appearances. The number that "count" is significantly smaller. By how much exactly? I don't know. Trust me. A lot of people from out of state apply to this school because they imagine Louisiana as being something like what was portrayed in "The Waterboy" or "Swamp People" and that they can dominate people here intellectually. I hate ignorance. It's not like everyone in California is a pot head. On the other hand the medical school to population ratio is relatively high, which is nice for schools like Shreveport where out of state apps. mostly go straight to the trash. Anyway, expect a pretty significant number of spots to open up in May. Who gets those spots? I don't know.

Last edited:
I'm more curious about how many people interviewed last year and got invited again for this cycle. btw: if it's any consolation a lot of those interviews are just for appearances. The number that "count" is significantly smaller. By how much exactly? I don't know. I can't tell you why, but it's true. Trust me.
A number of which interviews? What is the source for that? Is that just speculation, or are you saying there's truth to that? That's what I assumed at first, but then I was told over and over by people involved in admissions where I work that no school would waste time and effort interviewing you if you didn't have a legitimate chance, so it would never actually just be for show. I'm so confused about it all now. Can you clarify please?

A number of which interviews? What is the source for that? Is that just speculation, or are you saying there's truth to that? That's what I assumed at first, but then I was told over and over by people involved in admissions where I work that no school would waste time and effort interviewing you if you didn't have a legitimate chance, so it would never actually just be for show. I'm so confused about it all now. Can you clarify please?
Sorry I can't. It's reliable though. I'm not talking about your interview though. I know plenty of people who've gotten in with a 27, which is not too far from your score.

Sorry I can't. It's reliable though. I'm not talking about your interview though. I know plenty of people who've gotten in with a 27, which is not too far from your score.
Okay. But can you at less clarify what you mean by "a number of those interviews"? Do you mean the ones done in March?

It has nothing to do with when it happens. Although, early applicants always have a better chance, regardless.

It has nothing to do with when it happens. Although, early applicants always have a better chance, regardless.

Yeah...I have no idea what you mean. What are you trying to say, cause I think we are all confused?