2013-2014 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You hippie.

I'm a 3.3/33 NFA guy. I like my threes.

Ehhh... I've bee called worse. Lol. Seriously, I take that as a compliment.

When I realized what today is it gave me perspective. As in, the world won't come to an end if I don't get into LSU-NOLA. I really don't want to find it if tht is the case, but..... I'm sure you see my point.

Members don't see this ad.

Ehhh... I've bee called worse. Lol. Seriously, I take that as a compliment.

When I realized what today is it gave me perspective. As in, the world won't come to an end if I don't get into LSU-NOLA. I really don't want to find it if tht is the case, but..... I'm sure you see my point.

We mortals are but shadows and dust.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you in danger of becoming a good man sinuous sausage?

Oh wait, the quote you used is actually from a poet who lived during Augustus' reign. The guy's name: Quintus Horatious Flaccus. You probably knew that though. Wow...I had a duhhhh moment there. Hey! I didn't find out Rossini was the guy who composed "Barber of Seville" until I looked it up after seeing the "Rabbit of Seville". sigh. I should keep my mouth shut.

“Pulvis et umbra sumus. (We are but dust and shadow.)”
Horace, The Odes of Horace

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Happy Easter everyone. Try not to stress, if you got interviewed you obviously will get in, if you keep at it. I know that doesn't sound too great but a lot of you are too young to worry about another year. Next wave of letters are the big ones, wait lists, acceptances, or rejections. Lord, if you can hear me...I'll start going back to church if you help me out here...St. Joseph's is right there...
such a random post my friend...breathe, get some sleep.

I like this batch of people. Hopefully we will all get to know each other's secret identities at LSU New Orleans ;)

Reactions: 1 users
lmfao. Now I'm lost. I was quoting a movie in response to Sinuous Sausage's response. I find SDN's "edit only, never delete" policy to be silly because..."what we do now, echoes in eternity" no matter how ridiculous. I guess...it's better than doing nothing here until May. I've always been more into the classics though...

Paul McCartney's going to be in New Orleans in June...

lmfao. Now I'm lost. I was quoting a movie in response to Sinuous Sausage's response. I find SDN's "edit only, never delete" policy to be silly because..."what we do now, echoes in eternity" no matter how ridiculous. I guess...it's better than doing nothing here until May. I've always been more into the classics though...

Paul McCartney's going to be in New Orleans in June...

I'll be there.

Soo question. I didn't realize there was a "three step application process" for financial aid. I filed my FAFSA back in February and felt so accomplished, but I just went in and finished the other two documents. (Dumb, I know). Since the priority deadline was April 15...does that mean they won't give me financial aid? Or I'm just going to wait longer and/or get less than I would have if I submitted before the deadline?

Y'all. I've been out of school for like three months now and I've lost my mind already.

Soo question. I didn't realize there was a "three step application process" for financial aid. I filed my FAFSA back in February and felt so accomplished, but I just went in and finished the other two documents. (Dumb, I know). Since the priority deadline was April 15...does that mean they won't give me financial aid? Or I'm just going to wait longer and/or get less than I would have if I submitted before the deadline?

Y'all. I've been out of school for like three months now and I've lost my mind already.

You'll still get something, you'll just be later in the pile.

However..., what are the other 2 documents you did?! I did the FAFSA and that's it

I'm glad you said something because I had only done step one too. Here's the link for how to complete the financial aid application process: http://www.lsuhsc.edu/financialaid/apply_2014-2015.aspx
Btw for some reason the mandatory loan entrance counseling session reminds me of the My Student Body course I had to take for undergrad :yawn:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hadn't realized it was a "three step app process" either.... :(

I'm glad you said something because I had only done step one too. Here's the link for how to complete the financial aid application process: http://www.lsuhsc.edu/financialaid/apply_2014-2015.aspx
Btw for some reason the mandatory loan entrance counseling session reminds me of the My Student Body course I had to take for undergrad :yawn:

do our responses for the mandatory loan entrance counseling matter? i.e. the ones asking about our expenses and crap -- because i was totally making things up. i have no idea yet how much tuition is exactly, books, etc. etc.

do our responses for the mandatory loan entrance counseling matter? i.e. the ones asking about our expenses and crap -- because i was totally making things up. i have no idea yet how much tuition is exactly, books, etc. etc.

I doubt it. I took a look at the cost of attendance and pretty much guessed on mine too. I think most everyone will get the same fed loan amount regardless of what we put.

I doubt it. I took a look at the cost of attendance and pretty much guessed on mine too. I think most everyone will get the same fed loan amount regardless of what we put.

Yea I was going to do that but laziness prevailed... Have you heard anything about how much the fed loan amount is per year? I don't have much (read: anything) saved and I'm pretty much starting to think about the extent of my poverty for the next 4 years

So any of you NFA's starting to reapply for next year?

Yeah. No idea when we'll hear anything useful from them. So might as well.
If I'm not mistaken, around May 20 is the time-frame we should all have in our heads. First thing in the morning on May 16 LSU will know exactly who is in, who is waitlisted, and who is rejected. I believe it's just a matter of drafting and sending out the letters at that point.

Reactions: 1 users
If it's the same as last year, May 20th is when people should expect to start getting wait list letters. Those who are rejected might get a letter a couple days earlier.

Based on the last few application threads it would appear as if the advocacy meeting is the first Friday in May. I'm not sure about this though.

A number of which interviews? What is the source for that? Is that just speculation, or are you saying there's truth to that? That's what I assumed at first, but then I was told over and over by people involved in admissions where I work that no school would waste time and effort interviewing you if you didn't have a legitimate chance, so it would never actually just be for show. I'm so confused about it all now. Can you clarify please?
It's hard to imagine that any med school admissions committee would have time to waste interviewing applicants "for show". That makes no sense. Not only do they have little time to flitter away, its a complete disregard for the applicant's time, not to mention a waste of money - and I don't mean the negligible application fee (although for some it isn't negligible), but moreover, the cost of travel; airfare, hotel, etc. And time away from job or school for interview - It would be a complete disregard of those applicants. It doesn't make sense.

Based on the last few application threads it would appear as if the advocacy meeting is the first Friday in May. I'm not sure about this though.
The final meeting of the committee is Thursday, May 1st.

It's hard to imagine that any med school admissions committee would have time to waste interviewing applicants "for show". That makes no sense. Not only do they have little time to flitter away, its a complete disregard for the applicant's time, not to mention a waste of money - and I don't mean the negligible application fee (although for some it isn't negligible), but moreover, the cost of travel; airfare, hotel, etc. And time away from job or school for interview - It would be a complete disregard of those applicants. It doesn't make sense.
That's exactly how I feel. It seems absurd to think they'd do something like that. It may not be out of the realm of possibly for them to do a courtesy interview (for someone who may be associated with a higher up in the administration, for example), but this would probably be more the exception than the norm.

Hmm. Is LSU-NO upping its standards? If so, good for them. I got into Shreveport and Tulane but got the boot from LSU-NO... pre-interview (kind of figured this was coming since they didn't send out an II yet and I was complete way back in August when the dinosaurs were around). Or it could be the actual but way-too-vague truth: they just didn't think I was the right 'fit.' Oh well, it makes my decision easier cuz LSUNO, from the accounts of the few people I know who go there, is a fantastic school. Congrats to everyone headin to the n'olans.

Hmm. Is LSU-NO upping its standards? If so, good for them. I got into Shreveport and Tulane but got the boot from LSU-NO... pre-interview (kind of figured this was coming since they didn't send out an II yet and I was complete way back in August when the dinosaurs were around). Or it could be the actual but way-too-vague truth: they just didn't think I was the right 'fit.' Oh well, it makes my decision easier cuz LSUNO, from the accounts of the few people I know who go there, is a fantastic school. Congrats to everyone headin to the n'olans.
Funny, but I never heard squat from Tulane. No letter whatsoever. Figured my stats were too low.

Yeah Tulane rejected me pretty quickly. But to be honest, I know people with the same stats as me that got in last year there.

Has anyone heard anything from financial aid yet? Now that we know it's a 3 step process and not just 1 step...

I know they force us to buy a computer at the beginning of the year. Does anyone have an idea what the specs are going to be for next year? Or what they were for last year? Are we allowed to install third party stuff on them? Can I dual boot linux (I'll be really impressed if anyone on this forum can answer this one)?

I am in dire need of a new machine, but I don't want to end up buying two laptops if this one will do what I need.

I know they force us to buy a computer at the beginning of the year. Does anyone have an idea what the specs are going to be for next year? Or what they were for last year? Are we allowed to install third party stuff on them? Can I dual boot linux (I'll be really impressed if anyone on this forum can answer this one)?

I am in dire need of a new machine, but I don't want to end up buying two laptops if this one will do what I need.

I asked about this on both of my visits because I wasn't too keen on the idea of dropping $2,000+ on an institutional Dell laptop. They said that we are allowed to buy our own and have IT install all the necessary software, but they strongly advise against it. The main reason they say to go with the LSU Dell is that if your computer acts up on exam day then they'll give you a loaner for the exam IF you bought the LSU Dell. Also they'll replace it for free if you back over it in your car, drop it in a pool, etc. Couldn't get specs from anybody, nor could I find anyone who didn't do the Dell computer.

Tomorrow is the BIG meeting guys! Best of luck to everyone. I hope we all get some good news soon.

So I completed my FAFSA in early February and just got an email from financial aid saying they've received the FAFSA and have placed me in line for processing. The email also says to fill out additional requirements (MPN, counseling) which I did a couple days ago.
Has anyone else received this email? I'm just concerned that I filled out my FAFSA early but they just now put me in line, as I'm completely relying on loans for school.

Also, I had emailed them regarding the MPN and they said to go ahead and fill it out if you plan on accepting the full reward, which is about 40,000 for 1st years.

I also filled the FAFSA in February and received the same email.

How soon can we start making appointments with Dr Eubanks/Dr McClugage to discuss applying for next year? Eubanks said during the interview that we could do that even if we're still NFA/waitlisted, but I can't remember if he said we can start calling to make those May 1 or later. Is it advisable to do that this early if we haven't been rejected yet? Or is it kind of like admitting defeat? I don't want them to think that since I'm reapplying, I'm not committed to getting in this year or something.

Also, since I want to apply EDP and I'm retaking the MCAT in August, my new scores won't be out until Sept. I don't know if it's worth applying EDP if I can't get my new scores to them until after the EDP deadline has passed, so they'll see my old scores but know that my new scores will be on the way. Do I apply EDP or no?

How soon can we start making appointments with Dr Eubanks/Dr McClugage to discuss applying for next year? Eubanks said during the interview that we could do that even if we're still NFA/waitlisted, but I can't remember if he said we can start calling to make those May 1 or later. Is it advisable to do that this early if we haven't been rejected yet? Or is it kind of like admitting defeat? I don't want them to think that since I'm reapplying, I'm not committed to getting in this year or something.

Also, since I want to apply EDP and I'm retaking the MCAT in August, my new scores won't be out until Sept. I don't know if it's worth applying EDP if I can't get my new scores to them until after the EDP deadline has passed, so they'll see my old scores but know that my new scores will be on the way. Do I apply EDP or no?

I was told we could schedule appointments starting today, but I could be wrong. I remember Eubanks saying we could. I am NFA'd right now as well but I don't think it matters if you make it or not.

I am also retaking the MCAT over the summer but at the end of July to apply ED. Counselors at LSU said to take it preferably at end of July so they would have the scores when they begin looking for ED but that also beginning of August may be slightly okay. This is just what I was told

I was told we could schedule appointments starting today, but I could be wrong. I remember Eubanks saying we could. I am NFA'd right now as well but I don't think it matters if you make it or not.

I am also retaking the MCAT over the summer but at the end of July to apply ED. Counselors at LSU said to take it preferably at end of July so they would have the scores when they begin looking for ED but that also beginning of August may be slightly okay. This is just what I was told
I'm taking an MCAT course, so the soonest I can take it is mid-August.

Last edited:
You can start making appointments to discuss your application today with Dr. Eubanks (May 1st). I did it last year and I personally didn't find it very helpful. I did it while wait listed and it didn't make a difference. In the end, I couldn't have waited because I wait listed until classes began and by that point, my application for the next cycle was already in.

I applied this cycle ED and took the MCAT in early July 2013. They told me this was pushing it, but they would accept it. The earlier the better though because they only have 2-3 interview days for ED applicants and those are in August so if you're scores aren't coming in until August, they'll likely pass over you. In my opinion your best bet would be to apply regular decision and just get your application in early since if they choose to not interview you for ED, you'll just get throw into the mix with all the RD applicants anyway.

uturedoctor0987, post: 15189124, member: 607210"]since we were ranked today does that mean we should know something soon?[/QUOTE]
Final meeting was today, I am of the understanding that it takes at least a week for rescoring of NFA's to be recalculated...the big shuffle happens on May 15 when they learn who is dropping. The class was filled in March as per AMCAS requirements.

uturedoctor0987, post: 15189124, member: 607210"]since we were ranked today does that mean we should know something soon?
Final meeting was today, I am of the understanding that it takes at least a week for rescoring of NFA's to be recalculated...the big shuffle happens on May 15 when they learn who is dropping. The class was filled in March as per AMCAS requirements.[/QUOTE]

And by "filled" I mean...offers of admission. Doesn't mean those offers were accepted...they just have to have the offers in place by the March AMCAS deadline.

Poll: anyone waiting a non-science major?