2010-2011 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm changing from optimistic to just plain worried now. Before the holidays is not likely at this point.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone else who interviewed on 10/15 that has not heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'm changing from optimistic to just plain worried now. Before the holidays is not likely at this point.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone else who interviewed on 10/15 that has not heard back yet?

I interviewed around that time and have not heard back yet.

just received the waitlist letter today. anyone have any idea what the chances are of getting in off the waitlist. kinda surprised that i got waitlisted because i thought the interview went really well. 3.98 gpa, 39mcat

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, looks like my turn from optimism was warranted! I got the (pretty expected) wait list letter last night. Boo. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear :luck:

I got accepted here last week. I was surprised, because I have below average stats (3.64 sGPA and 33 MCAT). Don't lose hope! I talked to a current student who told me that she interviewed at the last possible date a couple years ago and was still accepted.

Just received a scholarship call. Vanderbilt just shot to the top of my list.

congrats iwarere!

didn't someone say a majority of scholarship decisions will go out in march? you must be awesome haha

I haven't posted in a while, because I'm STILL waitlisted. Had anyone gotten off the waitlist yet?

anybody interview with Dr. Andres Martinez?? ...if so, how was he
?

I haven't posted in a while, because I'm STILL waitlisted. Had anyone gotten off the waitlist yet?
i've been waitlisted for a while (i interviewed in august and was waitlisted in november), and i have heard absolutely nothing...they said they would keep reviewing our applications throughout the cycle, but who knows?

Hey guys!

Sorry I've been MIA, but things have been absolutely crazy for a while and will continue to be until the end of January, so bear with me.

Brief point: I receive a zillion PM's asking me Vandy questions so let me answer a couple of things here as a FAQ type thing:

1) I have no idea if LOI's/ thank you notes make a difference. One of my close friends here was waitlisted, sent a LOI and was accepted a couple of weeks later. Obviously, he has no idea if that's what tipped him over the edge, but hey, can't hurt right? But yeah, the workings of the waitlist are a total mystery to me, sorry I can't help you any more than that.

2) the scholarships are also pretty mysterious. I received mine about a week before winter break 2 years ago and it was by no means the first one on SDN, but last year I think they started a little bit later. FWIW, I think each committee for the named merit scholarships (Dean's scholarship, Canby Robinson, et al) meets independently of one another, so just because people hear about one it doesn't mean you're out of the running for a different one. I think there are roughly 20ish people in my class who get merit money, but that's a VERY rough estimate based on what I've heard and there may be way, way more who haven't shared that info. Also, I don't think they all go out at the same time (i.e. one person may get Canby in December and another in March...this is especially true when people start narrowing down their choices and the money is "up for grabs").

3) it is WAY too early to think about housing. Believe me, I understand the urge to get all into the med school business and be as prepared as possible, but let me assure you that it is entirely unnecessary to worry about it now. First of all, you'll have WAY more choices after the school year is over and some people have moved out. Also, many of the people who get housing right now and sign a lease end up regretting it later when they realize they could have gotten a much better deal or have been in a much more popular area/building after Second Look. If landlords tell you you won't find anything by then...they're lying to you. Just wait at least until April- and most of us didn't get our housing until May/June so there's plenty of time still. Also, the first years will be compiling a very thorough publication on housing at Vandy with phone numbers of individual, highly-ranked landlords and building ratings and such in April or May at the latest, so please stay tuned.

4) Along with that theme, no, there's absolutely nothing you can do right now to prepare. Anything you review will be covered in about 2 days so it's just not worth the effort. If you desperately want to do something useful for med school, start gathering office supplies, index cards, notebooks, whatever you normally use- and get a lot of them. Campus bookstores are always more expensive than like, Costco, and you'll need them anyway. Really just get your crap organized, figure out whether you need to change phone companies (Sprint is the best one on campus, followed I think by Verizon and with ATT being the worst I believe), buy a new computer, etc. Starting to look at anatomy is a total waste of time so don't do that. Just get a lot of sleep, buy exercise equipment if you want to have some at home, etc.

5) Finally, about the workload: I get asked about how much sleep I get/ how much I study CONSTANTLY, and I never really know what to answer to that, in part because it's so variable and in part because I have never been able to come up with a satisfactory metaphor to describe how much work med school is. I'd say expect to study 3-6 hours on each day of the week, with a little more on weekends and a lot more starting 2-3 weeks before each exam. There are outliers who study more or less than that, but for the most part, that applies to most of us as far as I can tell. As many point out, most of the concepts aren't difficult- there's just a LOT of information, and it's very, very dense. When a professor hands you 10 pages of notes on a 1-hour lecture, it doesn't look like much- except you have to know just about every word on those 10 pages. As a first year, you also have to expect extra time spent in the anatomy lab dissecting and reviewing structures, etc. You end up getting frustrated with the most minor things because time is truly a precious and rare luxury. You will have to learn to prioritize and let go of a lot of things you don't feel as strongly about as others- this may be anything from dabbling on the guitar to your clingy boyfriend/girlfriend. On the other hand, you can be assured that your classmates are on the same boat, so this odd thing binds you from the very beginning and you become a big family. So yes, I sleep ok, and haven't had any real all-nighters yet (except for a night I shadowed a transplant surgeon, but that wasn't studying-related) although about 2 weeks before each exam I start sleeping less and less. The only thing I can tell you is that you, like everyone else, will get through it, even if you're not really the study-for-12-hours-straight type.

Ok, that should cover most of the questions I've received. As I said, the next couple of weeks are going to be totally crazy so don't be offended if I don't get back to you- such is the life of a med student.

Good luck on everything!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i got this email a couple days ago asking for my consent to a background check

"You have received this email because you have been waitlisted or conditionally accepted by one or more of the medical schools participating in the AAMC-facilitated program for performing criminal background checks on conditionally accepted applicants and waiting list applicants. Please note that the requesting medical school will be notified if consent is not provided, and that failure to provide consent may result in failing to meet the requesting medical school's admissions requirements."

Vanderbilt is the only school that I am currently waitlisted at. Could this mean something (i.e. being accepted off the waitlist), or am I reading too much into it?

i got this email a couple days ago asking for my consent to a background check

"You have received this email because you have been waitlisted or conditionally accepted by one or more of the medical schools participating in the AAMC-facilitated program for performing criminal background checks on conditionally accepted applicants and waiting list applicants. Please note that the requesting medical school will be notified if consent is not provided, and that failure to provide consent may result in failing to meet the requesting medical school's admissions requirements."

Vanderbilt is the only school that I am currently waitlisted at. Could this mean something (i.e. being accepted off the waitlist), or am I reading too much into it?

I'd say reading too much into it. I got that email and I am not on any waitlist.

Have they started their pre-interview rejections?!

I have been complete since mid-september and I haven't heard a thing!

Thanks everyone!

Interviewed there recently and really like it. Anyone knows when next committee meeting is scheduled. Thanks.

What do you mean by being waitlisted at Vanderbilt? Did they tell you that you were waitlisted already?

I interviewed in early December and I just got the email yesterday as well. Penn is the only other school I interviewed at (and have not yet heard from) and I will receive a decision on March 15th from them.

I think it could certainly be a harbinger of good news, but I guess we will find out!

Last edited by a moderator:
yea, i interviewed at the end of october and received the waitlist letter about three weeks ago. i've been on 2 other interviews and was accepted at both of those places. hopefully it's a sign of good things to come because i really like vandy

That sounds promising, then. I was never waitlisted, and you never got one of these emails before you got the waitlist letter. I guess we'll find out in due time.

Got the acceptance call today!!! :banana: nice surprise, and on a Sunday :)
Can't wait for second look weekend!
OOS, interviewed 11/30
:luck:

Got the acceptance call today!!! :banana: nice surprise, and on a Sunday :)
Can't wait for second look weekend!
OOS, interviewed 11/30
:luck:

Congrats! Also OOS, interviewed 11/29... guess I can start getting anxious now.

Wahoo! Acceptance voicemail! The one time this week I decide to run in the afternoon rather than in the morning, I miss this call, haha! Interviewed 11/22.

I got accepted yesterday too! Interviewed in late October, waitlisted before Christmas and now accepted! I thought I was going to be on the wait list forever!

Hang in there everyone!

Hi All,

Does anyone have info on rough time frame of second look weekend? I'm looking into flights and wasn't sure what time that I should be sure to arrive by, time to leave at the end of the weekend, etc. Any information would be much appreciated. :)

Thank you,
Bubbly

I was told 4/11 on my voicemail.

Ahhh so much Vandy love going out.... really hope I can get in on the action in the next couple of days! Perhaps I'll call tomorrow and ask if I went to committee.

Ahhh so much Vandy love going out.... really hope I can get in on the action in the next couple of days! Perhaps I'll call tomorrow and ask if I went to committee.

Let me know what they say. I'm in the exact same place.

Hey everyone!! I received the phone call from Dean Zic today!! SO EXCITED!!! I cannot wait to meet everyone at Second Look Weekend, which he said was the weekend of April 1st!!!! :D:banana::soexcited::D:banana::soexcited::D

Hey everyone!! I received the phone call from Dean Zic today!! SO EXCITED!!! I cannot wait to meet everyone at Second Look Weekend, which he said was the weekend of April 1st!!!! :D:banana::soexcited::D:banana::soexcited::D

Congrats!
Around when was your interview date?

Congrats!
Around when was your interview date?

Thank you so much! I interviewed on Thursday, November 11, but I have talked to some of my friends from that same interview day who have not heard yet.

I was told 4/11 on my voicemail.

And, of course Vanderbilt wouldn't schedule Second Look Weekend on Masters Weekend! That'd be blasphemy! :)

Last edited:
Called earlier today to check on the status of my app. Interviewed 11/29 and was told that my file hadn't gone to committee yet, but would in the next couple of weeks/soon.

Called this morning. I haven't gone to committee yet. Interviewed 11/19.

Apparently their adcom meets on Fridays, so it might be today, or in the next few weeks. Also, the woman I spoke with wasn't sure if they called all admitted people or just some, but she was leaning towards all.

Jus a lil 411 for yo Friday.

Interviewed there recently and really like it. Anyone knows when next committee meeting is scheduled. Thanks.

Same story here. I was wondering this too. Though from reading this thread it seems I have a long wait ahead of me. What was that thing everyone says is a virtue :confused:

Last edited:
Ahhh give me news, Vanderbilt! Does the committee meet on Fridays?

Called to check on the status of my file, was only told no decision has been made. When I asked if I had gone to committee she said she doesn't have access to that information?

How are you you guys all finding out exactly where your app is in the process?

That's odd. I just called and said that I would like to ask about the status of my file and was told by the nice lady who answered that I hadn't gone to committee yet. Simple as that.

Anybody besides ColeOnTheRoll hear anything about scholarships?

Anyone remember if the office accepts updates post-interview but before any waitlist notification? I visited a while ago so that day is a bit hazy..Thanks

Today was 8 weeks post interview for me and still haven't heard anything... hopefully not much more waiting in store.

Anyone remember if the office accepts updates post-interview but before any waitlist notification? I visited a while ago so that day is a bit hazy..Thanks

I'm pretty sure they do. I think I remember someone encouraging us to send one if anything new came up.

Hey Vandy Hopefuls!

Haven't posted in awhile since I've been mourning my wait list notice :), but I've decided to stop the pity party and jump back in.

Any movement off the wait list recently?

Hope you are all doing well!

Hey Vandy Hopefuls!

Haven't posted in awhile since I've been mourning my wait list notice :), but I've decided to stop the pity party and jump back in.

Any movement off the wait list recently?

Hope you are all doing well!

I think a person or two has been accepted off the waitlist at some point in this thread, but I could be completely making that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.