2010-2011 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
75% scholarship call!

Members don't see this ad.

Way less scholarship moment this month than I thought.

Anyone heard of the big ones like canby Robinson being.given out

Could someone post the match results from this year? I really loved Vanderbilt when I interviewed and was just wondering where all the MS4s will be going. Btw, congrats to all the students that matched! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone post the match results from this year? I really loved Vanderbilt when I interviewed and was just wondering where all the MS4s will be going. Btw, congrats to all the students that matched! :)
They aren't up yet as far as I can tell. If you're really interested though, you can watch the video here. You can also find match lists from prior years.

I was asked to pass this along regarding Second Look Weekend:

"Hey Everyone! Laila, Ryan, Gretchen, and I are very excited to be hosting you soon for Second Look Weekend! The dress code for the official events is business causual, which you should already know.

However, I wanted to tell you about our unofficial events: downtown clubbing on Friday & Saturday nights, Friday Rec Night & Saturday Movie Night! You already know what to wear when going out. However, bring your work-out clothes if you plan on playing basketball, volleyball, lift weights, or play board games at Friday Rec Night with current students! As for Saturday Movie Night, just wear something comfortable!

Spread the word, and we'll see you VERY SOON!"

Here are some Match-Day links for anyone interested:

A story about couple's matching
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/myvu/news/2011/03/18/romances-residencies-revealed-at-match-day.135848

A video of match-day 2011
https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/events/match-day

A list of the 2010 graduates' matches
https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/events/where-they-matched-2010

The 2011 list isn't up yet. I'll post it if I hear anything. Congrats to those of you entering in 2011 and those receiving scholarships. Hopefully I’ll see you as an entering MSTP student in 2012. ;-)

Our class had an amazing match day! It was published in our med center newspaper so I figure it's okay to post. Vandy is an incredible place to be and I absolutely love it here. Let me know if you have any questions about VUSM!

Anesthesiology (6):
-Brigham & Women’s
-Brigham & Women’s
-Columbia
-Mass General
-Vanderbilt
-Vanderbilt

Dermatology (1):
-Vanderbilt

Emergency Medicine (7):
-Brown
-MGH/Brigham
-Mt. Sinai
-U of Chicago
-UCLA-Olive View
-Vanderbilt
-Vanderbilt

General Surgery (5):
-Mayo
-U of Maryland
-U of Mississippi
-UCLA
-Vanderbilt

Internal Medicine (21):
-Brigham & Women’s
-Case Western
-Duke
-Duke
-Grand Rapids Med Education Partners
-Mass General
-Mass General
-Mayo
-Northwestern
-Rush- Chicago
-U of Chicago
-U of Chicago
-U of Louisville
-U of Rochester
-U of Virginia
-U Washington-Seattle
-Vanderbilt
-Vanderbilt
-Vanderbilt
-Wake Forest

Medicine-Primary (1):
-Boston U

Med-Peds (4):
-Johns Hopkins
-Mass General
-Mass General
-Rush-Chicago

Neurology (4):
-Columbia
-Mass General/Brigham
-Northwestern
-Wash U/Barnes-Jewish

Neurosurgery (2):
-U of Michigan
-Vanderbilt

OB-GYN (3):
-BIDMC- Boston
-Cornell
-Northwestern

Ophthalmology (4):
-U of Arizona
-U of Michigan
-U of Wisconsin
-Vanderbilt

Ortho (4):
-Baylor
-Carolinas
-Emory
-Vanderbilt

ENT (6):
-Einstein
-Mt. Sinai- NYC
-NYU
-U of Connecticut
-U of Virginia
-Vanderbilt

Pathology (1):
-UCLA

Pediatric Neurology (1):
-Harvard/Children’s Hosp/BIDMC

Pediatrics (7):
-Children’s Mercy Hospital- Kansas City
-CHOP- Philadelphia
-Cincinnati Children’s
-MUSC- South Carolina
-U of Colorado
-UCSF- San Francisco
-Vanderbilt

Psychiatry (6):
-Brown
-Columbia
-Utah
-Northwestern
-NYU
-Vanderbilt

Radiation Oncology (1):
-Wash U/Barnes-Jewish

Radiology (8):
-Johns Hopkins
-Penn
-U of Illinois
-U of Iowa
-U of Missouri
-Vanderbilt
-Vanderbilt
-Wash U/Barnes-Jewish

Thoracic Surgery (1):
-Stanford

Urology (1):
-Brigham & Women’s

Is Vandy done with pre-waitlist acceptances? When do they make a formal waitlist and send out any post-interview rejections?

Does anyone have any idea what the financial situation looks like for students not awarded any merit aid?

For anyone that cares.. I called today about scholarships and it seems as though they have mostly all been awarded, and if the phone calls haven't been made they will be by this week.

Its just weird they said most money would go out this month but only a single person here got something. I feel like SDN usually is pretty representative but not this time.

For anyone that cares.. I called today about scholarships and it seems as though they have mostly all been awarded, and if the phone calls haven't been made they will be by this week.

Its just weird they said most money would go out this month but only a single person here got something. I feel like SDN usually is pretty representative but not this time.

On the upside, Vandy has great institutional loans (low interest and no accrued interest until after residency) and Nashville is cheap, both of which dramatically lower the overall cost of going to school.

for anyone that cares.. I called today about scholarships and it seems as though they have mostly all been awarded, and if the phone calls haven't been made they will be by this week.

Its just weird they said most money would go out this month but only a single person here got something. I feel like sdn usually is pretty representative but not this time.

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm didn't really see anything we any opportunities so to speak, just the different loans we may be given. am i missing anything?

and i guess by opportunities, i mean scholarships or better loans we can maybe apply for

hmm didn't really see anything we any opportunities so to speak, just the different loans we may be given. am i missing anything?

and i guess by opportunities, i mean scholarships or better loans we can maybe apply for

They have need based grants for students from lower income backgrounds and they have institutional loans (Vandy Loans), which accrue no interest for all of medical school and up to three years of residency. Over the course of 7 years, a grad plus loan would accrue over 50% in deferred interest (58% at 6.8% interest, to be exact), which represents a huge savings on the total cost of your education.

Edit: Upon receiving my package, it appears that the lending policies have changed in recent years, so I officially do not know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
They have need based grants for students from lower income backgrounds and they have institutional loans (Vandy Loans), which accrue no interest for all of medical school and up to three years of residency. Over the course of 7 years, a grad plus loan would accrue over 50% in deferred interest (58% at 6.8% interest, to be exact), which represents a huge savings on the total cost of your education.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like, according to the link, these institutional loans are for international students?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like, according to the link, these institutional loans are for international students?

I know some people who go/went there. Those loans are for everyone or thereabouts. That's why only 12% of students take grad plus loans.

That said, international students cannot borrow stafford or grad plus loans, so they can only borrow Vandy loans.

Withdrew my app from the 'on hold' pool today. Best of luck to everyone else!

Current students, anyone know if Vandy is going the iPad way for our class?
We get billed for computers along with tuition, don't we?

Current students, anyone know if Vandy is going the iPad way for our class?
We get billed for computers along with tuition, don't we?
I have heard nothing about iPads being required, and I doubt that would be the case. No computer is required either (again, to my knowledge), but you can take out loan money to cover it if you want. If you see that included in the finaid numbers, remember those are just estimates.

Holy crap, 2nd look was amazing! I was so impressed with the administration and the camaraderie of the student body. I think I'm pretty much sold on Vandy now.

Holy crap, 2nd look was amazing! I was so impressed with the administration and the camaraderie of the student body. I think I'm pretty much sold on Vandy now.

That's awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed it, I did too although it's going to take me a few days to recover from the hangover ;). I hope you come here next year (also, I believe I met you at some point). Let me know if you have any questions or need any more info to help you decide.

Hey Robin, That's Amazing! I was there this weekend too and I happen to agree. I was wavering between a couple schools but I got really hooked after this Second Look. However, considering I know you have a ton of great choices, those second looks could very well sway you (especially Penn). But I definitely agree that Second Look took Vandy from being a school that I was very concerned about to the top of my list of acceptances (though there are some waitlists I'd still like to hear from)!

Declining my acceptance and scholarship. Hope they go to someone here :) :luck: everyone!

This may have been posted somewhere but what is the typical 1st year's daily class schedule like (Im guessing it will vary by module)?

Any word on financial aid packages? I seem to recall reading in one of their emails that they were planning on sending things out around April 15.

So I've received my fin aid info, and I have received a need-based scholarship. Does anyone know if this is considered to be a one-time scholarship, or is it intended to be renewed yearly?

I think it does renew, if your financial situation stays the same.

My package isnt good at all :(

240000 in federal loans

So I've received my fin aid info, and I have received a need-based scholarship. Does anyone know if this is considered to be a one-time scholarship, or is it intended to be renewed yearly?

Need-based scholarships are one-year deals. That said, unless your parents' finances change significantly or you marry an heiress, your package should remain roughly the same.

Hey Robin, That's Amazing! I was there this weekend too and I happen to agree. I was wavering between a couple schools but I got really hooked after this Second Look. However, considering I know you have a ton of great choices, those second looks could very well sway you (especially Penn). But I definitely agree that Second Look took Vandy from being a school that I was very concerned about to the top of my list of acceptances (though there are some waitlists I'd still like to hear from)!

MVK, what was the reason you were very concerned with Vandy? Any specific event or situation?

MVK, what was the reason you were very concerned with Vandy? Any specific event or situation?

A couple of reasons actually! Firstly, As someone from the northeast who went to college up there, I was concerned it was going to be too "Southern" for me, when in fact after my tour of Vandy at Second Look and the Nashville partying I did that weekend I realized it was a nice blend for both Southerners and Northerners (at least in my opinion). Secondly, I was concerned initially about the students as actually being normal because my tour was with some female Vandy student who gave me a tour on my interview day. She was a third year who planning on taking an extra year before applying for residency. She was particularly strange in my opinion. She actually spoke to us at the Second Look weekend and I thought she seemed very different from the other students and the acceptees. Seeing that the other acceptees and the current students were really nice, smart and talented changed my view completely. Thirdly I was concerned about research opportunities and match for some of the fields I want to match into. However, almost immediately discovered after I got accepted to Vandy that discovered a number of researchers that are doing particularly exciting work and that residency match in my fields of interest were really strong (like Vandy, Hopkins, MGH, UCSF, HUP, Barnes Jewish, Michigan). Second Look and personal research completely changed my opinion and has shifted it my clear top choice of my accepted schools.

A couple of reasons actually! Firstly, As someone from the northeast who went to college up there, I was concerned it was going to be too "Southern" for me, when in fact after my tour of Vandy at Second Look and the Nashville partying I did that weekend I realized it was a nice blend for both Southerners and Northerners (at least in my opinion). Secondly, I was concerned initially about the students as actually being normal because my tour was with some female Vandy student who gave me a tour on my interview day. She was a third year who planning on taking an extra year before applying for residency. She was particularly strange in my opinion. She actually spoke to us at the Second Look weekend and I thought she seemed very different from the other students and the acceptees. Seeing that the other acceptees and the current students were really nice, smart and talented changed my view completely. Thirdly I was concerned about research opportunities and match for some of the fields I want to match into. However, almost immediately discovered after I got accepted to Vandy that discovered a number of researchers that are doing particularly exciting work and that residency match in my fields of interest were really strong (like Vandy, Hopkins, MGH, UCSF, HUP, Barnes Jewish, Michigan). Second Look and personal research completely changed my opinion and has shifted it my clear top choice of my accepted schools.

Haha i'm really curious about who this might be now, especially since it sounds like she'll be in my class...

hey just wondering, did the financial aid package scare anyone else?

i thought they gave everyone at least $2000

hey just wondering, did the financial aid package scare anyone else?

i thought they gave everyone at least $2000

I've always been under the impression that they just effectively lowered the tuition by $2000 (i.e., it's already factored into the cost of attendance)

Does anyone know if there has been any waitlist movement here recently? Is there any hope for those of us who have been on it since the early season? :confused:

Does anyone know if there has been any waitlist movement here recently? Is there any hope for those of us who have been on it since the early season? :confused:
I'd give it another 2-3 weeks. May 15th is around the corner.

Withdrew my acceptance a few days ago. Very tough to do. Loved Vandy. Good luck everyone on the waitlist!

Withdrew my acceptance here too today. Hopefully someone on SDN may get an early call off the waitlist.

I apologize if someone has asked this already but:

When do MSIIs study for boards? How long do they get to study for them?

I am having a mini-crisis with school choice and just need to know this. Thank you all so much!

I apologize if someone has asked this already but:

When do MSIIs study for boards? How long do they get to study for them?

I am having a mini-crisis with school choice and just need to know this. Thank you all so much!

https://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/portal/cim/vms_essentials.php?page=usmle

Most Vanderbilt Medical Students study anywhere from 4-6 weeks. Many who study past six weeks find that the recall of information that they studied at the beginning is poor.
So it looks like students have plenty of time to study.

withdrawing! good luck to everyone on the waitlist

oh i love you so much vanderbilt, but i dont think i can turn down so much money :(

Still no movement to be heard of on SDN? Just sent in a letter and am hoping for some Vandy love in the near future. Good luck to everyone else waiting!

I just withdrew. I hope one of you guys gets my spot! :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.