2010-2011 University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No status yet here either.

Members don't see this ad.

No "letter sent"s today? I guess they're not following their weekly Friday mailings/status updates...

Seems like the more recent "letter sent"s were:
5/31 (rejections)
6/3 (holds/rejections)
6/9 -showed up 6/10- (waitlists)
6/17 (acceptances)

There were 2 or so waves of acceptances prior to 5/31 I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st and 15th are meeting days. Its a few days after that they send out notifications according to a worker in the office.

Wow thats kind of a let down. But I was told I'd hear back by this week so I'm still gonna hope thats the case :)

Wow thats kind of a let down. But I was told I'd hear back by this week so I'm still gonna hope thats the case :)

So...I'm guessing no news? I'm so sad that they won't even take the time to tell us "blank" folks whether or not they're even truly considering us still (or just lost us in a pile somewhere out there...beyond the clear blue sky~).

No, I didn't hear anything today :(. Guess that means we should look towards monday or tuesday as I think the committee met today...

Has anyone looked at their BruinBill account yet? Is your total around 16k? I also am just wondering what some of these fees mean, not complaining just curious. Also does everything need to be paid by 7/20?

Has anyone looked at their BruinBill account yet? Is your total around 16k? I also am just wondering what some of these fees mean, not complaining just curious. Also does everything need to be paid by 7/20?

Curious about this as well. At this point, I also have around $16K charged to my account, but I don't think it includes our official financial aid package... First off, the $5K scholarship isn't included, and neither are the loans we may decide to take out, so I have a feeling that the amt charged might change once they do factor all of that in. And it probably is all due by 7/20 unless we arrange something with the FAO, since it's not too long before school starts... this is all just speculation on my part, though :rolleyes: May give them a call on Monday to ask.

Curious about this as well. At this point, I also have around $16K charged to my account, but I don't think it includes our official financial aid package... First off, the $5K scholarship isn't included, and neither are the loans we may decide to take out, so I have a feeling that the amt charged might change once they do factor all of that in. And it probably is all due by 7/20 unless we arrange something with the FAO, since it's not too long before school starts... this is all just speculation on my part, though :rolleyes: May give them a call on Monday to ask.

Does anyone know when we are supposed to get our financial aid offers? Also, if im not mistaken isnt our aid being dispersed on 7/22? if thats the case then I hope 7/20 isnt a due date

Does anyone know when we are supposed to get our financial aid offers? Also, if im not mistaken isnt our aid being dispersed on 7/22? if thats the case then I hope 7/20 isnt a due date

I have no idea when we are supposed to receive our offers, but I just looked back at the Admission and Registration Info sheet that came in the mail with our letters, and it says:

"All charges (including registration fees) must be paid in full by the 20th of each month or the preceding workday if the 20th falls on a weekend or holiday. A $20 delinquent fee is assessed for any late payment.Also, if registration fees are not paid in full by the payment deadline, a $50 late fee is assessed...

If you receive financial aid, most financial aid funds are automatically credited to your BruinBill account prior to the beginning of the term... The balance of any financial aid is distributed through your BruinBill account and is disbursed through Bruin Direct, an electronic deposit process."

So it seems like 7/20 IS a pretty firm deadline :( If financial aid comes afterward, I guess it'll just show up as credit in our account or something.

Members don't see this ad :)

What is this 5k scholarship you speak of. I didn't apply for fin aid, is that why I don't have this scholarship?

does anyone else's MyFAO Document Tracking still say Incomplete?? I submitted everything over a month ago (including the AFI form that they requested later) and my app is still marked incomplete... :scared:

does anyone else's MyFAO Document Tracking still say Incomplete?? I submitted everything over a month ago (including the AFI form that they requested later) and my app is still marked incomplete... :scared:

Mine did until very recently (last week sometime). I submitted all the materials nearly a month before they changed my status as well, and e-mailed the FAO to find out what was going on. They said that it's just been a busy season for them, and that they DID receive my papers but just hadn't gotten around to updating the status page yet. I would say try e-mailing them to at least check that your materials reached the office, since they were pretty prompt with responding :)

USCTrojan, I hadn't applied for financial aid before I received the scholarship, so I don't think that's why... from what I'd heard so far, the 5K was automatically given to everyone in this year's entering class, came along with the acceptance letter in the mail. Weird... =/ When were you accepted? Maybe it was early in the process before they decided to give everyone a scholarship? :confused:

I have no idea when we are supposed to receive our offers, but I just looked back at the Admission and Registration Info sheet that came in the mail with our letters, and it says:

"All charges (including registration fees) must be paid in full by the 20th of each month or the preceding workday if the 20th falls on a weekend or holiday. A $20 delinquent fee is assessed for any late payment.Also, if registration fees are not paid in full by the payment deadline, a $50 late fee is assessed...

If you receive financial aid, most financial aid funds are automatically credited to your BruinBill account prior to the beginning of the term... The balance of any financial aid is distributed through your BruinBill account and is disbursed through Bruin Direct, an electronic deposit process."

So it seems like 7/20 IS a pretty firm deadline :( If financial aid comes afterward, I guess it'll just show up as credit in our account or something.

At least for the other classes, if your fin. aid (loans, scholarships) is enough to cover the full amt, don't worry about it...even if it kicks in after 7/20, you won't be charged any late fees. May want to double check since you're an incoming class.

Also, if anyone wants to be a little crafty and make a few bucks, you can pay off that 16k balance with your (or your parent's) credit card...something that gives you 1% cash back....and so when fin aid kicks in, nothing will be deducted and the full amt will be sent to your acct (at which point of course you pay off that credit card bill)...easy money. However, as of July 2011, UCLA has started to charge a transaction fee for credit card payments...though i'm sure you'd still come out in the green :)

Mine did until very recently (last week sometime). I submitted all the materials nearly a month before they changed my status as well, and e-mailed the FAO to find out what was going on. They said that it's just been a busy season for them, and that they DID receive my papers but just hadn't gotten around to updating the status page yet. I would say try e-mailing them to at least check that your materials reached the office, since they were pretty prompt with responding :)

USCTrojan, I hadn't applied for financial aid before I received the scholarship, so I don't think that's why... from what I'd heard so far, the 5K was automatically given to everyone in this year's entering class, came along with the acceptance letter in the mail. Weird... =/ When were you accepted? Maybe it was early in the process before they decided to give everyone a scholarship? :confused:

I'm in the UCLA-DREW program. Maybe we don't get this scholarship? I haven't received an acceptance letter from UCLA, maybe it details it in that letter? We will see.

+1, nothing yet. Should we hear back? 8/1 is only 4 weeks away. Last I heard they still hadn't filled up all of their spaces...

same. So we're either rejected, put on hold, or waitlisted correct?

:( Am I the only one with a blank status still?

I'm sorry to hear that phynix & paniwani. But you never know! It might still be good news. :xf:

blank status here too, interviewed early december. i called last tuesday and the guy said the committee had my file and was deciding on it as we were talking. he said i should hear back in a week. but theyve been saying that for 7 months..

So I called ADCOM today and they said that they already filled their class! For those of us who are on the waitlist, I guess we have to wait and see if spots open up from now until August 1st! :luck:

Can anyone verify this just to make sure?

Can anyone post what the letter sent last week was?

Also how many people are still blank?

Has anyone called this week to ask about open spots or is the class full.

thanks!

Can anyone post what the letter sent last week was?

Also how many people are still blank?

Has anyone called this week to ask about open spots or is the class full.

thanks!

I received a letter last week telling me that I'm waitlisted.

I can't confirm whether or not the class is full.

How many people have been accepted off the waitlist so far?

Holy crap I just got off the waitlist. Apparently classes start Aug 1st... which gives me 2.5 weeks to get my butt to socal. I got the waitlist letter June 9th. I already started my primaries again because I didn't get into any other schools hahaha. Time to withdrawww.

P.S. CA resident

Holy crap I just got off the waitlist. Apparently classes start Aug 1st... which gives me 2.5 weeks to get my butt to socal. I got the waitlist letter June 9th. I already started my primaries again because I didn't get into any other schools hahaha. Time to withdrawww.

P.S. CA resident

Congrats! How were you notified?

P.S. CA resident

Congrats!!

Is anyone else having trouble with log in? So I guess this cycle is over?

How many other people are blank? I saw they made lists on last years thread. Thought I would start one, add yourself if your blank too.

Name/interview/status

Calli/Mar/Blank
Kachan0/Feb/Blank
Kair/Dec/Blank

Someone named Lily called me.

Thanks for the info :)

Has anyone with a blank status tried calling and asking why we do not have a decsion yet while they are starting to take people off of the waitlist?:confused:

1st and 15th are meeting days. Its a few days after that they send out notifications according to a worker in the office.

I guess today was the last meeting day before school starts. So maybe we will get a definite answer next week. Who knows maybe even a spot may have opened up...Just trying to keep the faith alive!

I guess today was the last meeting day before school starts. So maybe we will get a definite answer next week. Who knows maybe even a spot may have opened up...Just trying to keep the faith alive!

Sigh I hope. I just want to have some kind of closure to this app process. Congrats to the waitlister who got accepted!

Keeps the hope alive. It's just sorta sad that there are folks who still haven't heard a single peep...school starts soooooon :(.

Also, they have the 2012 app sign in on the status website so you have to select 2011. Haha funny how they've started on the next cycle's while we're still waiting to hear a single word.

also just got off the waitlist a couple days ago! i was officially waitlisted in June as well.

Is today the magical day or is the class really full? Tune in August 1st to find the answer!

also just got off the waitlist a couple days ago! i was officially waitlisted in June as well.

Congrats!! Was this on Wed or Fri? Also did you get a phone call too or did you find out through the status page?

Congrats!! Was this on Wed or Fri? Also did you get a phone call too or did you find out through the status page?

Thanks! This was on Wed, and I found out through an email from Lili, since I am abroad at the moment. When I checked my status page, it was also updated.

Called again and finally info. Apparently blank status = WL. They won't update our status or send us final decision letters (at least until it's a rejection letter next week or so) cause the adcoms took too long to decide on our apps. I wonder if it means that blank status folks were just put aside and never reviewed. It's sooo wrong of them to do this. How can they keep ppl hanging as "blank" for months on end while everyone else has received a status (let alone the fact that classes start in little more than a week)?? We spent our time (and their's) and money on the interview, plus the months of anguish waiting...don't we deserve SOME sort of response?! Am I the only one who thinks this is super unprofessional?

I guess I can forgive you, UCLA,..... if you accept me as a resident in four years.

Called again and finally info. Apparently blank status = WL. They won't update our status or send us final decision letters (at least until it's a rejection letter next week or so) cause the adcoms took too long to decide on our apps. I wonder if it means that blank status folks were just put aside and never reviewed. It's sooo wrong of them to do this. How can they keep ppl hanging as "blank" for months on end while everyone else has received a status (let alone the fact that classes start in little more than a week)?? We spent our time (and their's) and money on the interview, plus the months of anguish waiting...don't we deserve SOME sort of response?! Am I the only one who thinks this is super unprofessional?

I guess I can forgive you, UCLA,..... if you accept me as a resident in four years.

Totally agree Kachan...I was left in the dust with you. It's unfair, it's pretty messed up that we never even received anything in response ...when I was told January. It's been over a year!

I hope future applicants can have a better experience with the admissions office! Yikes! They kept promising one week before they'll let us know and dragged it for 8 months since my interview date!

Hey, fellow Angelenos...where are you parking for the first day of class? I look forward to meeting everyone.

Wow! I know I'm a little late (ha...a little) but I am still applying to medical school this year! Feels good either way.

URM, GPA 3.7, MCAT 27Q

I just wanted to verify that the 2ndry application involved these questions for both MD and MD/PhD

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaninful?

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.