2010-2011 Duke-NUS GMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, kahome! I am applying to the MD/PhD. Interviewed on 16 Dec. Still waiting for the results now.

me too! I just complete the FA application a few days ago and now the waiting game is officially on :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
me too! I just completed the FA application a few days ago and now the waiting game is officially on :laugh:
Fingers crossed!:xf:
Which PhD program are you applying to? I am applying to the infectious diseases program.

Fingers crossed!:xf:
Which PhD program are you applying to? I am applying to the infectious diseases program.

I don't think we had to pick one right now, do we? But they did ask me what I am interested in, and I am leaning towards stem cell or neuroscience :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think we had to pick one right now, do we? But they did ask me what I am interested in, and I am leaning towards stem cell or neuroscience :)
I don't think we have to formally pick the specific program at this stage, but I suppose having a clear research interest may be helpful to the application because the MD/PhD program do have an emphasis on research.

I just mentioned my interest in the essays and they also asked me about which program I am interested in.

It seems those guys who got the acceptance offer never post a word here. I am told by one of my referees that someone from NTU SBS Singapore got admitted last year. He/she is taken in the early acceptance. Anyone got similar good news from Duke-nus or someone else? Let's figure out how many early lucky birds coming out now.

It seems those guys who got the acceptance offer never post a word here. I am told by one of my referees that someone from NTU SBS Singapore got admitted last year. He/she is taken in the early acceptance. Anyone got similar good news from Duke-nus or someone else? Let's figure out how many early lucky birds coming out now.

Hmm how come your referee got wind of who got in?

Interesting......

Mistaken, apologies!

Last edited:
My good friend from NUS FoS applied the earliest possible in April 2010 and got accepted in June. Suffice to say he has got >4.7/5.0 and >35 MCAT and stellar research. He doesn't surf SDN though. I am pretty sure there are quite a few like him who were accepted in the early phases too.

Anyone knows anyone else who got in? Seems like the really good candidates don't frequent the SDN forum that much.

That's it, I'm out.

My good friend from NUS FoS applied the earliest possible in April 2010 and got accepted in June. Suffice to say he has got >4.7/5.0 and >35 MCAT and stellar research. He doesn't surf SDN though. I am pretty sure there are quite a few like him who were accepted in the early phases too.

Anyone knows anyone else who got in? Seems like the really good candidates don't frequent the SDN forum that much.

They are pretty sure they'll get in and don't bother wasting energy here.

I don't know what to say about this case. Last year, a few people including me asked the school if we submitted the applications before the Sept 1 early decision deadline, will the files be reviewed. Duke-NUS said specifically anything received before Sept 1 will not be reviewed until after it. I guess for this case, he/she got reviewed, interviewed and accepted well before Sept 1, the school is either doing something differently than it says publicly or this story is made up.

Anyways, I am going to take off from SDN. There are so many conflicting posts here and stories such as "I heard from xxx, my buddy xxx got in,etc"

Good luck to everyone with their applications. :xf:

Mistaken, apologies!

Last edited:
I'm accepted!!!
Thank God!!!!

All the best to everyone! Hope to see you in school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks very much!

Wishing you all the best in your application!

I'm accepted!!!
Thank God!!!!

All the best to everyone! Hope to see you in school!

Me too. I received the offer email from Duke-NUS just before I started applying P&G. That's really greatest present for Chinese New Year.

I had my Applicant Day in last Sep, probably the first one in Singapore.

Happy Chinese New Year. Good luck to everyone in the year of Rabbit.

Hey guys, I am also from the 23rd Sept batch. I also received the acceptance email. Nearly missed it cos it went to my junk mailbox. All the best to those who are still waiting.

Hi, guys, I hope you don't mind my little ad post here. Anyone in Singapore need MCAT materials (Exam Crackers and Princeton Review, full sets of textbooks and practice questions)? Please drop me a email [email protected] for more info.

Hey guys, I got accepted today (feb 7th) interviewed on nov 25th in Singapore
for all who like details...iam an international applicant but did my undergrad in an american college...the acceptance came as an email...iam very excited and glad to be accepted...and wish u all the best...good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back

for all who like details...iam an international applicant but did my undergrad in an american college...the acceptance came as an email...iam very excited and glad to be accepted...and wish u all the best...good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back

Congrats! :thumbup:

Congratulations Tifosi!! :D:D:D

Congratulations. See you in the school.

Hello everyone...I have been following this thread for sometime. thanks to TalktoHui and everyone else for the wonderful discussions on this thread.... I have an interview from Duke NUS in Durham on march 1st.

Hello everyone...I have been following this thread for sometime. thanks to TalktoHui and everyone else for the wonderful discussions on this thread.... I have an interview from Duke NUS in Durham on march 1st.
Hello, kimphilby! Wish you all the best in the interview!:xf:

Hey guys, I've been lurking in here for a while. Do any of you have tips/advice for the interview, especially from those who are already accepted? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys, I've been lurking in here for a while. Do any of you have tips/advice for the interview, especially from those who are already accepted? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
1. Be confident and show you passion for medicine.
2. Prepare some common questions for medical school interview is definitely necessary.
3. Enjoy!:)

1. Be confident and show you passion for medicine.
2. Prepare some common questions for medical school interview is definitely necessary.
3. Enjoy!:)

Thanks! I'll definitely try my best. What about for the TeamLEAD sessions? Was it intimidating at all or is there any way to prepare for it? :)

Thanks! I'll definitely try my best. What about for the TeamLEAD sessions? Was it intimidating at all or is there any way to prepare for it? :)
It is not intimidating at all. My point is if you can actively participate in the disscussion, express your ideas clearly and show your teamwork spirit, it will be great.

Hi Kimphilby. I'll be interviewing on March 1st as well. Have you looked into hotel/shuttle (airport to campus, campus to hotel, etc.) info? Would anyone who interviewed in Durham like to share some tips for the interview day (where to stay, how to prepare)?

Hi talktohui thanks for you wishes!

DCTrue, there is supershuttle (http://www.supershuttle.com/) from RDU (Raleigh Durham airport) to any address in town. I booked myself into the Millenium hotel, which appears to be around 1/2 an hour of a pleasant walk to the Thomas Center (our interview location). The closest is the Washington Duke inn http://www.washingtondukeinn.com , but it costs 200 bucks a night, if you can afford it. Other than the millennium hotel there are at least two other motels/hotels in the <=100 range around 1/2 hour or so walk from the Thomas Center. The University inn is probably the cheapest thttp://www.universityinnduke.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=600&q=thomas center durham&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Anyone else have tips on this? What about the interview? Is the 1/2 hour essay an ethics/values one or a motivation behind medicine one or a any science topic one?

DCTrue, there is supershuttle (http://www.supershuttle.com/) from RDU (Raleigh Durham airport) to any address in town. I booked myself into the Millenium hotel, which appears to be around 1/2 an hour of a pleasant walk to the Thomas Center (our interview location). The closest is the Washington Duke inn http://www.washingtondukeinn.com , but it costs 200 bucks a night, if you can afford it. Other than the millennium hotel there are at least two other motels/hotels in the <=100 range around 1/2 hour or so walk from the Thomas Center. The University inn is probably the cheapest thttp://www.universityinnduke.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=600&q=thomas center durham&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Anyone else have tips on this? What about the interview? Is the 1/2 hour essay an ethics/values one or a motivation behind medicine one or a any science topic one?

we all agreed to keep the exact interview details confidential :) just be yourself and you will do great.

we all agreed to keep the exact interview details confidential :) just be yourself and you will do great.

does the confidentiality code include hotels locations as well:) ? just kidding
best wishes with your interview outcome!

does the confidentiality code include hotels locations as well:) ? just kidding
best wishes with your interview outcome!

haha, no. I stayed in my friend's place. I think the inn recommended in the email will be the best option :)

Good luck with your interview as well :xf:

Thanks, Kimphilby! I looked into some of the mentioned places as well. I'd better bring some comfy shoes for the walk :p Good luck on your interview! I guess I'll see you there.

Got an offer last Monday (7th Feb) too!

Interviewed 23th Sept.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Thanks, Kimphilby! I looked into some of the mentioned places as well. I'd better bring some comfy shoes for the walk :p Good luck on your interview! I guess I'll see you there.

I guess you received the email from Justin. Thomas Center itself for 109 bucks or free on a duke student's couch!

I prefer the exercise.. gets you thinking before the interview! best..

nazonobudoka congrats!

Honestly, I applied because the application has no fees and I had 3 out of the 4 essay questions already completed as part of my other applications. So I just got my stuff together for Duke-NUS at the last minute. I am Asian so I certainly wouldn't mind going to Duke-NUS though (I love Singapore). But only if I get full financial support for 90+% of tuition (scholarships + financial aid). This is actually hard to get in the US, so that is one advantage to Duke-NUS over top US schools.

As for coming back to US as IMG, it's not that difficult after the bond commitment since ACGME-I will have evolved by then to fast-track accredited IMGs back into US system (Duke-NUS would be top pick here). But I actually would like to settle in Asia, so that's another reason for Duke-NUS.

Anyone have any idea what countries the DUKE-NUS MD is accredited in?

For those that decide not to live in singapore after the bond, what are the chances/steps need to practice in the north america or australia/New Zealand?

For those that decide not to live in Singapore after the bond, what are the chances/steps need to practice in the north America or Australia/New Zealand?

It is probably WHO and IMED listed. I don't think you can practice in California or other states that use the California list (Many states don't use the CA list).http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applican/schools_recognized.html#s
Of course, by the time you graduate, it may go into the list with a rare grandfathering clause..

To practice in the US, you would have to do an additional residency in the US and clear the Steps.

Dunno about Oz/NZ

For those that decide not to live in singapore after the bond, what are the chances/steps need to practice in the north america or australia/New Zealand?

I am interested in this too. Any current DUKE-NUS medical students care to comment?

Hi guys, i'd like to apply for the next yr's batch of duke-nus. Could you guys share your academic results so i can gauge my chances of being accepted into the program?

Also, is MCAT difficult to score?

Hi guys, i'd like to apply for the next yr's batch of duke-nus. Could you guys share your academic results so i can gauge my chances of being accepted into the program?

Also, is MCAT difficult to score?

Hi, lfyj! MCAT is not so difficult to score, but it really needs careful preparation. I prepared the exam for about 3-4 months, and got a 34.

Hi, momeo86! I suppose a decent USMLE score and residency training in the US is needed if one IMG want to practice in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.