2010-2011 Duke-NUS GMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And.......no news for those waiting?

i called them to enquire abt the 2012 intake and she informed that they are still sorting out the last bits of 2011.. so i guess there's still hope! :)

Members don't see this ad.

cool. have u booked ur seat? which date r u going for?

im planning to quit and spend d next months preparing for it and give it a shot at applying to d school.. anyone has any good advice or opinions?
just afraid i overestimate myself and hold too lofty hopes on the entire matter.. :scared:

yupp i've booked my seat, sitting for the august paper. How about you? Are you local? =)

Members don't see this ad :)
How many spots? I'm wondering that myself.

yupp i've booked my seat, sitting for the august paper. How about you? Are you local? =)

is aug ur first try? she advised going for an earlier date, in case there's a need for a 2nd try. yupp, i'm local..

wats d procedure for getting admission into mds in singapore?
aft finishing bds from india

In the last few applicant days it was mentioned that we will hear by the end of March. Well, it's the last week of March, you think we can expect anything soon (like, today)? :)

several batches of rejections have been sent out already...according to infogms. so, there's still hope if you didn't hear back yet!

several batches of rejections have been sent out already...according to infogms. so, there's still hope if you didn't hear back yet!

that's good to know, did you ask them yourself? thanks for the update.

It really sucks waking up every day dreading to refresh your email inbox.

But it also sucks when there's no news and you have to keep on waiting.

Waiting and waiting...

I can update you guys that they have made at least 45 offers as of today (based on the size of the online student group for incoming students). That leaves about 11 more offers pending (assuming class size is still 56 and all accepted students have joined the online group to date).

I might be canceling my offer soon as well (got into Yale MD/PhD). So there might be at least one more offer pending in the near future!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can update you guys that they have made at least 45 offers as of today (based on the size of the online student group for incoming students). That leaves about 11 more offers pending (assuming class size is still 56 and all accepted students have joined the online group to date).

I might be canceling my offer soon as well (got into Yale MD/PhD). So there might be at least one more offer pending in the near future!

Wow congratulations anxious101! You must be ecstatic about your Yale acceptance. Good luck and thanks for updating us!

Wow congratulations anxious101! You must be ecstatic about your Yale acceptance. Good luck and thanks for updating us!

Thanks!

The accepted students thus far at Duke-NUS seem like a very lively and talented bunch for sure. From engineers to PhDs. Duke-NUS is truly attracting some great future leaders.

Aren't they supposed to send the offers by now? Has anyone received any offers or rejections this week? May be they will send the offers on April 1st
:)

Aren't they supposed to send the offers by now? Has anyone received any offers or rejections this week? May be they will send the offers on April 1st
:)

It seems that this year's intake doesn't frequent this forum too much; the previous Duke-NUS threads were much more lively with frequent posters. No one seem to have posted rejections either...:confused:

I know I'm kind of in the dark here too!

Is anyone planning to ask them about notifications?

From their Facebook discussion page:

"We evaluate applications on a rolling bases, so all applicants should have an answer by the end of April. That said, anyone may get an answer from the Admissions Office at any time from when they interview until April. I know the waiting is tough, so if you'd like to know more about your personal situation, I'd encourage you to take this off-line and please contact the Admissions Office at: [email protected]. We'll be happy to chat with you directly."

End of April. We have a long time to go, guys.

From their Facebook discussion page:

"We evaluate applications on a rolling bases, so all applicants should have an answer by the end of April. That said, anyone may get an answer from the Admissions Office at any time from when they interview until April.I know the waiting is tough, so if you'd like to know more about your personal situation, I'd encourage you to take this off-line and please contact the Admissions Office at: [email protected]. We'll be happy to chat with you directly."

End of April. We have a long time to go, guys.

Interesting, From the previous Duke NUS forum postings looks like the vast majority got their thumbs down/up by the first week of April. anxious101 thanks for keeping us updated.

You do realize the irony of it all:
the ones with more impressive credentials KNOW they are well sought-after, and while more likely duke-nus will send them acceptance letters first, the less likely they will cherish it as compared to those with less impressive credentials, who will tear hair and limb to get in

ah for a chance but alas! truth of this world rears its ugly head to bite our behinds

the ones with more impressive credentials KNOW they are well sought-after, and while more likely duke-nus will send them acceptance letters first, the less likely they will cherish it as compared to those with less impressive credentials, who will tear hair and limb to get in

ah for a chance but alas! truth of this world rears its ugly head to bite our behinds

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. It's like we're gambling in a lottery in which the chances are getting ever so small.

This is a great observation. The neediest are the least served while the well off are spoiled for choice. That is the essence of competition. A random lottery on the other hand would level the playing field for all:)

Someone mentioned earlier that offers will be made by end of last month. Perhaps all offers have been given out already (just that no one is posting them.)

Someone mentioned earlier that offers will be made by end of last month. Perhaps all offers have been given out already (just that no one is posting them.)

Or all offers (for admission) have been sent out and they will send out rejections for us at their leisure.

Cos accepted candidates are given about 2 weeks to accept or reject their offers. I've as good as received my rejection letter. All the best guys!

Stay positive guys, I don't think the class of 2011 is filled up yet.

Cos accepted candidates are given about 2 weeks to accept or reject their offers.

That is possible. Infogms tells me that things could stretch untill "april/may"
:smuggrin:

Stay positive guys, I don't think the class of 2011 is filled up yet.

Guys,

Just to update you again (I know how nerve-wracking it must be to wait), it doesn't look like the class is filled up yet. From the incoming student group, there are still about 9 spots left.

Also, I think at this stage, the strongest candidates have all be sent offers which were either accepted or declined. The weakest candidates were sent rejections. While the rest (possibly the largest group) are wait-listed and sent offers individually. This is why it's taking longer now for each acceptance to go out. Keep in mind, they know a lot of the North American applicants are now starting to hear from US schools, so some ppl will be cancelling their Duke-NUS offer (like me) which will go to one of the wait-listed candidates. So offers could be going out as late as end of May.

Lastly, someone PM'ed me to ask about the quality of Duke-NUS. From my experience on applicant day and having chatted with those accepted thus far, I think both the quality of the education and the talent they're recruiting is no doubt on par with top US schools (vis-a-vis Duke). Personally, my choice of Yale over Duke-NUS is simply because I am pursuing a MD/PhD and I think the research opportunities in Singapore are still young and simply not on par with a top US school like Yale. But the MD program is definitely top notch at Duke-NUS!

Hope that helps!

Guys,

Just to update you again (I know how nerve-wracking it must be to wait), it doesn't look like the class is filled up yet. From the incoming student group, there are still about 9 spots left.

Also, I think at this stage, the strongest candidates have all be sent offers which were either accepted or declined. The weakest candidates were sent rejections. While the rest (possibly the largest group) are wait-listed and sent offers individually. This is why it's taking longer now for each acceptance to go out. Keep in mind, they know a lot of the North American applicants are now starting to hear from US schools, so some ppl will be cancelling their Duke-NUS offer (like me) which will go to one of the wait-listed candidates. So offers could be going out as late as end of May.

Lastly, someone PM'ed me to ask about the quality of Duke-NUS. From my experience on applicant day and having chatted with those accepted thus far, I think both the quality of the education and the talent they're recruiting is no doubt on par with top US schools (vis-a-vis Duke). Personally, my choice of Yale over Duke-NUS is simply because I am pursuing a MD/PhD and I think the research opportunities in Singapore are still young and simply not on par with a top US school like Yale. But the MD program is definitely top notch at Duke-NUS!

Hope that helps!

Thanks again anxious..your updates are a lifeline..

Received waitlist letter today.
Signed by Dr. Stenberg and sent by email.

1. thank you anxious 101 ... your updates have really helped to mitigate the wait-derived insanity. & congrats on Yale, thats really, really amazing!!!

2. yea just got waitlist letter as well..... lalalalalala....

Well, waitlist is good, right?
That means you have a chance.
Congrats to all current waitlisters!

So that means they are sending out emails only for waitlisted applicants ? Did anyone receive acceptances or rejections this week ?

Been a while since my last post! Anyway, in the class of 2015 googlegroups, it seems that there are ~49 members (it's actually a bigger number than that, but some members are duke-nus staff or upperclassmen who are managing the group). The class doesn't seem to be filled up yet, but I would think that there are probably less than ten spots now. North American applicants who were previously accepted may now be pulling out as other offers from US schools rain in. That said however, majority of the class comprises Singaporean/Asian applicants, so perhaps just a few people will be pulling out.

Apparently, in one of the previous batches, a guy pulled out at the last minute (some time in june or july), and the person ranked #1 on the waitlist got a place real late! School starts end july this year, so people on the waitlist-- keep a lookout until then!

I hope this bit of info helps with your nerves :) Good luck!

Been a while since my last post! Anyway, in the class of 2015 googlegroups, it seems that there are ~49 members (it's actually a bigger number than that, but some members are duke-nus staff or upperclassmen who are managing the group). The class doesn't seem to be filled up yet, but I would think that there are probably less than ten spots now. North American applicants who were previously accepted may now be pulling out as other offers from US schools rain in. That said however, majority of the class comprises Singaporean/Asian applicants, so perhaps just a few people will be pulling out.

Apparently, in one of the previous batches, a guy pulled out at the last minute (some time in june or july), and the person ranked #1 on the waitlist got a place real late! School starts end july this year, so people on the waitlist-- keep a lookout until then!

Thanks a lot for your informative comment.

Anyone wanna sell/hand down their practice books? I wanted to get those '10yr series' kind with 1001 practice questions @ Kino and I thot i ask ard here first.. pte me if you r interested! Thanks! :)

i'm thinking on emailing them to clarify this whole waitlist thing...will update if I hear anything informative back >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.